Shaun

You can be punished by a GM for something another person does

This is a ticket I put in based on an interaction I just had with a GM.  To be clear, I'm not complaining about the GM, he was really nice through the whole interaction.

----------------------------------------------------

Was just visited by VooDoo Bot, a GM today saying that one of my company members had put some signs up on an island not in our bases grid, nowhere near our base, in another grid (J8) that were of a racist nature.  I don't doubt his word that they existed but basically the gist of it was he was going to have to "punish" all of us for this one persons actions.  He stated that was the only option he had and it was your policy.  My questions are:

1) How are multiple people responsible for 1 persons actions in another grid/server.  This person that put them there are there own person and none of the rest of us can control their actions.  If the signs had been put up in our base, I or anyone else in the company WOULD have removed them.  

2) Is this your plan for for handling issues with individuals.  Punish/Ban everyone around them?

This REALLY concerns me because this really doesn't promote even have a company put together.  If I'm going to be held responsible for something another person did, not in my presence and completely unknown to me, what is my incentive to even have a company?  Better yet, what is my incentive to even play the game?  To be clear, I'm not here threatening to quit, I'm just really trying to offer some food for thought.  VooDoo Bot stated he had no way to know who put the signs down, so his only recourse was to punish all of us??  Any rational person should be able to take a step back and see how quickly that will kill this game.  So what I"m asking for some type of way for your admins to know who placed an offending object so they can punish the offender, not punish everyone who is wearing the company tag.

Also let me take a moment to commend VooDoo Bot on being very nice about the whole thing and DID listen and give me an opportunity to try to track down who did it. I believe he was only what he doing what he was able to do and I have no complaints with him personally.

I've never been to J8 as far as I know so the only thing I could say for certain was that is wasn't me but you can see how quickly this type of broad punishment can kill your game quickly.

If they are in your company you are responsible for everything they do. Since all the ships and buildings are communal there is no way for them to know who took part in those actions, just people from that company. We had a company that we were allied with that had merged with a group of younger players that were living on their island. Turns out they had named a bunch of their boats racist and sexually explicit stuff. Many of the older gamers we knew from that company quit in singles and doubles over the course of a week and ended up in our company because they saw that it was just going to go badly down the line. We dropped the alliance once everyone had moved over. You can't control everyone's actions, but you can choose to only allow people you feel comfortable with in your company.

I don't agree.  You can't police everyone and this is the first time it was even brought to our attention.  There is ZERO way police everyone's actions and you can be banned over something you have zero control over?  The game will die on the vine.

19 minutes ago, Shaun said:

This is a ticket I put in based on an interaction I just had with a GM.  To be clear, I'm not complaining about the GM, he was really nice through the whole interaction.

Was just visited by VooDoo Bot, a GM today saying that one of my company members had put some signs up on an island not in our bases grid, nowhere near our base, in another grid (J8) that were of a racist nature.  I don't doubt his word that they existed but basically the gist of it was he was going to have to "punish" all of us for this one persons actions.  He stated that was the only option he had and it was your policy.  My questions are:

1) How are multiple people responsible for 1 persons actions in another grid/server.  This person that put them there are there own person and none of the rest of us can control their actions.  If the signs had been put up in our base, I or anyone else in the company WOULD have removed them.  

2) Is this your plan for for handling issues with individuals.  Punish/Ban everyone around them?

This REALLY concerns me because this really doesn't promote even have a company put together.  If I'm going to be held responsible for something another person did, not in my presence and completely unknown to me, what is my incentive to even have a company?  Better yet, what is my incentive to even play the game?  To be clear, I'm not here threatening to quit, I'm just really trying to offer some food for thought.  VooDoo Bot stated he had no way to know who put the signs down, so his only recourse was to punish all of us??  Any rational person should be able to take a step back and see how quickly that will kill this game.  So what I"m asking for some type of way for your admins to know who placed an offending object so they can punish the offender, not punish everyone who is wearing the company tag.

Also let me take a moment to commend VooDoo Bot on being very nice about the whole thing and DID listen and give me an opportunity to try to track down who did it. I believe he was only what he doing what he was able to do and I have no complaints with him personally.

I've never been to J8 as far as I know so the only thing I could say for certain was that is wasn't me but you can see how quickly this type of broad punishment can kill your game quickly.

Basically you are asking for the game to have a player ID added to it and a vector attached to every item that would say created by and placed by. This is fairly simple to implement it would just require some more bandwidth and a little bit more resources. Something like this would also prevent duping if they were to start giving items ID's also. They could also add a personal kill log which would have made the exp exploit black and white for who was doing it.

~Lotus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are already items in game that tell you who created it.  It's just not on every item so yeah I think that would be a good idea.  

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Dude, I totally feel for you. There have been wayyyyy too many idiots on this forum that say to get into a mega.

please never listen to those worthless people ever again. It is very detrimental to your gameplay. 

This should be a message to everyone. Never get into a mega. No matter what they will always exploit anything they can to get the edge. Sure it is stupid and pathetic but that is just what they do.

do everything you can to stay in a small company. Pretty soon the devs will realize how bad they screwed up and lower the company caps again.

in my opinion even 10 is too big. Feel free to argue all you want with the current max at 5.6k (yes it is after 2pm pacific so that is the high point of today) 

you messed up wildcard. You had 2 options. 1 go with ark(better option)

and 2. Try to do something you don’t have the capability of doing but do it anyways. Congrats on trying number 2, you failed lol

Make it ark or die 😂

• Like 1

That sounds like a GM going rogue.  Regardless of how 'nice' they were about it the problem lies with that staff member not having the proper training or not actually having needed access to the log data of what character placed the offensive text on the sign to properly do their job.  That kind of log data plainly exists as the in-game company log shows very similar data regarding who has built or destroyed various objects in a region.  Regardless of whether you as company leader could see who placed that sign and placed the text - on the developer side that information exists.

GMS shouldn't be policing this game for curse words. Handle the exploiters and cheater. It is an adult themed game. GMS can ruining a game faster than anything else. If I wanna paint my boat pink an put big giant pink dildos on my sails. So what? ? if it offends anyone then try and destroy it. don't cry and report in hopes of getting someone banned.....

not like the game is really populated as it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

And you don't have to say voodoo bot was nice, screw that GM he shouldn't even of addressed you with this if you didn't do it. very unprofessional. 

sounds like to me this GM has nothing better to do. but it does make sense guy is to stupid to find who made the sign just knows it was your company. explains why so much cheating goes unpunished as these GMs don't have the skills to track them.

When I go out, or do something, bad press means the company I work for acquire that bad press.  I work for an investment bank, so if, I, at the weekend go and shoot someone, or go ahead and abuse someone, my actions will reflect badly on the firm I work for.  They will fire me immediately, and 'play ball' and the PR team will have their work cut out.

Communally, anyone in your corp is representing every member of your corp.  If you have a bunch of racists, and griefers and everyone turns a blind eye, you're all guilty by association.  No excuses.  Zero tolerance policy protects all.  Immediately evict company members breaching T&C and CoC and you'll be fine...

Just now, Vorxius said:

When I go out, or do something, bad press means the company I work for acquire that bad press.  I work for an investment bank, so if, I, at the weekend go and shoot someone, or go ahead and abuse someone, my actions will reflect badly on the firm I work for.  They will fire me immediately, and 'play ball' and the PR team will have their work cut out.

Communally, anyone in your corp is representing every member of your corp.  If you have a bunch of racists, and griefers and everyone turns a blind eye, you're all guilty by association.  No excuses.  Zero tolerance policy protects all.  Immediately evict company members breaching T&C and CoC and you'll be fine...

this is a video game, a hobby, stupid fucking example you just gave.

1 minute ago, ButtPirate said:

this is a video game, a hobby, stupid fucking example you just gave.

maybe in your eyes, but the victim of the racist 'attack' is well within their rights to be valiantly protected by the developers of this 'game' / 'hobby'.  hence a whole plethora of rules in the ToC / CoC.   

Sorry I breached the CoC because, this is just a 'hobby'... would never stand up to scrutiny :classic_huh:

2 hours ago, Myth said:

That sounds like a GM going rogue.  Regardless of how 'nice' they were about it the problem lies with that staff member not having the proper training or not actually having needed access to the log data of what character placed the offensive text on the sign to properly do their job.  That kind of log data plainly exists as the in-game company log shows very similar data regarding who has built or destroyed various objects in a region.  Regardless of whether you as company leader could see who placed that sign and placed the text - on the developer side that information exists.

Not at all, It is Atlas' policy to hold everyone in a company and even alliances responsible for anything against the CoC. It is nothing new, there have been many company/ally wide Dev wipes.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DilBert said:

Not at all, It is Atlas' policy to hold everyone in a company and even alliances responsible for anything against the CoC. It is nothing new, there have been many company/ally wide Dev wipes.  

if it is an exploit that a company as whole gains from then yes. but one member says something that offends someone isn't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ButtPirate said:

GMS shouldn't be policing this game for curse words. Handle the exploiters and cheater. It is an adult themed game. GMS can ruining a game faster than anything else. If I wanna paint my boat pink an put big giant pink dildos on my sails. So what? ? if it offends anyone then try and destroy it. don't cry and report in hopes of getting someone banned.....

*waits patiently for those screenshots of giant pink dildo sails, because that would be amazing.*

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ButtPirate said:

I am all about free speech, however, there are a lot of very irresponsible adults that will get this game for their kids(you know the squeakers that also yell curse words) and even though I wouldn’t let my kids play any adult game I wouldn’t want them walking hvand seeing dildos at the same time.

even though it is an adult game it isn’t an x rated game either. There is a reason you have to live in another country just to see full nudity on Conan exiles. Here in America some of that won’t fly on a moral basis and I do have to agree with that.

if you are in another cou try then never mind, you do you and I won’t argue 👍

10 minutes ago, Realist said:

I am all about free speech, however, there are a lot of very irresponsible adults that will get this game for their kids(you know the squeakers that also yell curse words) and even though I wouldn’t let my kids play any adult game I wouldn’t want them walking hvand seeing dildos at the same time.

even though it is an adult game it isn’t an x rated game either. There is a reason you have to live in another country just to see full nudity on Conan exiles. Here in America some of that won’t fly on a moral basis and I do have to agree with that.

Its always Americans, offended by everything and anything.... Never mind the fact that you can make a woman with giant tits who runs around in her underwear clubbing other players.

That's ok for my kids to see and do, but how dare you make a sign with bad words on it. 

9 minutes ago, ButtPirate said:

Its always Americans, offended by everything and anything.... Never mind the fact that you can make a woman with giant tits who runs around in her underwear clubbing other players.

That's ok for my kids to see and do, but how dare you make a sign with bad words on it. 

Really depends on the word to be honest. My own kids might get my say f$&& or s$&& or something else. They won’t hear me say the word n/&&:@ though. Sometimes freedom has to have limits, speech or not.

9 minutes ago, ButtPirate said:

That is also not ok for my kids to do. I let my son play ark but only if he was offline. Way too many pieces of 💩 in this world to even attempt to let him play online

Edited by Realist

53 minutes ago, Realist said:

Live in another country to see full nudity? And you say in america. Friend i have news for you. America doesnt have a nudity filter on games, they just have listings. 

As for racist/ sexual things posted on signs, the degelopers have the right in the tos and coc to say what is and isnt allowed. Swearing, allowed. Comments about ones sex,race,religion, disallowed, other wise known as discrimination. 

9 minutes ago, mizunami said:

Live in another country to see full nudity? And you say in america. Friend i have news for you. America doesnt have a nudity filter on games, they just have listings. 

As for racist/ sexual things posted on signs, the degelopers have the right in the tos and coc to say what is and isnt allowed. Swearing, allowed. Comments about ones sex,race,religion, disallowed, other wise known as discrimination. 

Yeah no shit. And just in case you didn’t know which if you live in America you should, there is definitely a nudity filter for the US. You have to set your location for another country for full nudity. Don’t be... nevermind that is just how it is.

as far as the game goes, no  they don’t have the right to do whatever they want to do. Yes they can set their own rules but they are also subject to law so do even try to say that they can do whatever they want 😂

you need to wake up if you think that

Edited by Realist

4 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yeah no shit. And just in case you didn’t know which if you live in America you should, there is definitely a nudity filter for the US. You have to set your location for another country for full nudity. Don’t be... nevermind that is just how it is.

as far as the game goes, no  they don’t have the right to do whatever they want to do. Yes they can set their own rules but they are also subject to law so do even try to say that they can do whatever they want 😂

you need to wake up if you think that

My location is set to texas usa and i have full nudity on conan, and a few choice adult games i have on steam.

I didnt say they could do what ever they want. I said they have the right to set their tos and coc.which means they can ban you or wile your stuff if you violate their rules.

5 minutes ago, mizunami said:

My location is set to texas usa and i have full nudity on conan, and a few choice adult games i have on steam.

I didnt say they could do what ever they want. I said they have the right to set their tos and coc.which means they can ban you or wile your stuff if you violate their rules.

Ah I forgot I am talking to pc people. It happens.

they set their rules to whatever they are told to.

5 minutes ago, Realist said:

Ah I forgot I am talking to pc people. It happens.

they set their rules to whatever they are told to.

Are you talking about console? Yea those have totaly different rules than pc when involving nudity and content, dunno why? Maybe they think consoles are more for the underaged and pc for adults? But frack that i own consoles and pc, but i have not become enlighted to know they follow different rules for content. 

Also yea, but tos and coc has SOME not alot of leweigh to it. One of this biggest one is how they handle discrimination and hacking etc etc.   But most tos, has an anti discrimination thing.

Off our conversation, to the op and anyone who doesnt know, there is a personal build option in companies, that tags what someone puts down with their name, doesnt work alot for megas because when that player is then kicked, it reverts to them out of xompany, so gotta be vareful when building big projects etc et 

48 minutes ago, mizunami said:

Are you talking about console? Yea those have totaly different rules than pc when involving nudity and content, dunno why? Maybe they think consoles are more for the underaged and pc for adults? But frack that i own consoles and pc, but i have not become enlighted to know they follow different rules for content. 

Also yea, but tos and coc has SOME not alot of leweigh to it. One of this biggest one is how they handle discrimination and hacking etc etc.   But most tos, has an anti discrimination thing.

Off our conversation, to the op and anyone who doesnt know, there is a personal build option in companies, that tags what someone puts down with their name, doesnt work alot for megas because when that player is then kicked, it reverts to them out of xompany, so gotta be vareful when building big projects etc et 

Yes i was talking about console. I had a pc before but I have moved on to console.

and yes, they have some wiggle room but they also need to be careful. I don’t use the word discrimination because one you use that you even have to take age into account in the real world. Calling someone a squeaker can get you I trouble so the word discrimination isn’t something that should be used at all and it it is, it should be used very lightly.

megas suck and that is all I will say about that. Cowards to the core.

13 hours ago, ButtPirate said:

And you don't have to say voodoo bot was nice, screw that GM he shouldn't even of addressed you with this if you didn't do it. very unprofessional. 

sounds like to me this GM has nothing better to do. but it does make sense guy is to stupid to find who made the sign just knows it was your company. explains why so much cheating goes unpunished as these GMs don't have the skills to track them.

No he was definitely very nice and worked with me to figure who the offender was and was not rude in any way about it.  So I believe I DO have to give him kudos because he could have come at this completely different and the end result could have been a lot worse.  So, respectfully, I disagree with you on this.  He WAS very professional.

• Like 1