Sign in to follow this  
Myrmidon

Merge PvP and PvE

Since the beginning, I have felt that we should have PvE and PvP on the same grid. We have a 255 server grid. When i looked at NA PvP, there were 1600 people on it. That is 6 people per grid. This is extremely low. I feel that we should have a smaller number of Freeports located around Kraken grid. Instead of Lawless zones around the Freeports, we should have PvE zones. This allows the players to mix and to cater to both groups. It also adds a bit of danger for the PvEers. Want Ironwood or Twigs? Gotta travel through PvP territory. Rare resources should be a reason to leave PvE zones. This way, everything cannot be crafted in PvE zones. Kraken should remain a PvP zone. Attached is a (very) rudimentary drawing of what the grid may be like. Red is PvP zones, with the Kraken zone dead center. Blue is PvE/Freeports.

pvpvegrid.png

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Force PVE Players into PVP will only make them quit. 

If i want to PVP i will join PVP-Server instead of PVE.

• Like 7

Or dont. There is a reason some of us avoid the exploit and grieve fest that PvP is. We have seen how Wildcard/GS handles PvP, im good, thanks.

No one says you have to leave the PvE zones. Trade with folks willing to make the trip to get any mats outside the PvE zones you might need. Pay them gold or other resources in return. You never have to leave your safe little box and it creates content for those that want to play a trader.

5 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

No one says you have to leave the PvE zones. Trade with folks willing to make the trip to get any mats outside the PvE zones you might need. Pay them gold or other resources in return. You never have to leave your safe little box and it creates content for those that want to play a trader.

So your suggestion is that for sake of increasing overall player count on a grid, you want to force pve players into a choice between participating in a play style they have declined prior OR stay within a small portion of the entire map? And pay folks to obtain things for them outside of this zone?

I have one question about your proposal:

Whats in this for pve players?  Because as you’ve described it, it looks like the answer is nothing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Myrmidon said:

Drop your delusions that not wanting to PvP is about "safe little boxes" and that only you PvPers play the "real" gane. Im not interested in what GS calls "PvP". Most of the time no skill involved, afk raids and grieve fest with tons of exploits and hacks. They cant handle it. If it ever becomes a balanced playfield free of chinese hackers and aimbotters we can talk, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

No skill involved - You're fighting the wrong people.

AFK raids - The new system has nearly eliminated AFK raids.

Exploits and Hacks - You're not going to get rid of these 100%. In any game. They're not as rampant as the forums make them out to be and the exploits are taken care of in short order.

Whats in it for PvE players? More people to play with. Works perfectly fine in Eve.

If concessions aren't made to increase the pop across the servers - there are going to be a lot of dead servers. I see people quit every day because of low pop.

1 minute ago, Myrmidon said:

Or I can play PvE and not deal with it.

Atlas falls into 2 of the types of PvP games I won't play.

Atlas is a time invested = advantage type game. There's no problem with that but it's not the type of game I would play. I prefer to start a match on equal footing then have a match of skill not oh you have 40 levels on me so I have a disadvantage.

The other type of PvP game I won't play is one where cheaters are not punished severely. I understand that not everybody is going to be good and they don't like the way that makes them look. So they download hacks or use exploits to get an advantage because they want to be able to win. To me that is pathetic but what I was taught as right and wrong as a child is not what others were taught. Where I draw the line is that the players were not permabanned. Recently they had the exp execution glitch that was abused a lot. I' heard some players went from 50 to 100+ in about 2 hours. The response was to lower people to 100. That is still a free 50 levels. Not interested.

Things I don't like but accept are that there's caps on how big a tribe can be. If a group wants to be 1500 members and a bunch of 20 man tribes want to ally and fight of the evil empire hell yeah that is exciting.

I also don't like how sluggish combat is in this game it's really low APM stuff.

A group of us went to PvP after we ran out of content and it was fun for some of us but the majority didn't like it and just went back to PvE.

~Lotus

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Exploits and Hacks - You're not going to get rid of these 100%. In any game. They're not as rampant as the forums make them out to be and the exploits are taken care of in short order.

Whats in it for PvE players? More people to play with. Works perfectly fine in Eve.

If concessions aren't made to increase the pop across the servers - there are going to be a lot of dead servers. I see people quit every day because of low pop.

They quit because the game's PvP format is just bad.

We have plenty of people to play with on PvE so nothing to gain.

People are quitting because of low Pop on PvE? Where are you getting your information from? We have people on break cause there's no content cause the dev's spend too much time dealing with all the cheaters and exploiters on PvP. 😕

~Lotus

• Like 5

Well i live on a PVP server and never had any PVP. Some PvOffline, but no PVP.

People are quitting on PvP due to low pop. And no, they're not leaving due to the PvP format. How do I know? I ask them.

Edited by Myrmidon

2 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Yeah because you totally get to chose. I played on the official PvP servers, its not so much about skill most of the time, its about who exploited better for gear.

8 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Still not a Pirate game about Sea Battles or big sieges, hell the engine couldnt even handle thst anyway.

9 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Not getting rid of them is one thing. How GS handles them another.

12 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

I avoid the PvP community on purpose, thanks.

15 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

News flash, the game is dead. Merging wont fix it. Fixing the reasons people leave might. Like adding ships instead of more tames. Or making use of the Crew instead of having a whole Zoo of tames for the daily business. Or fixing the flaws instead of adding freaking torpedos or Subs. 

15 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Umm, exercise a little common sense. Pve players will stay in the pve area. PvP players will overwhelmingly stay in the pvp area in order to pvp. Thus while you SAY pve players will have more players to play with, the obvious and predictable outcome would be each group mostly sticking to their designated areas, resulting in a massive loss of effective game space for pve players in exchange for no meaningful benefit they want.

Try again, your suggestion has zero merit for pve.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

People are quitting on PvP due to low pop. And no, they're not leaving due to the PvP format. How do I know? I ask them.

According to the forums people quit because of cheaters more than it's boring.

So I proposed this a while ago and people thought it was stupid but I will throw the idea out there again. I believe that PvP should have the safe zone thing all the time. Your island will be paid for with badges instead of gold. The badges are earned through going into a battleground or arena and fighting other teams. You pay gold to enter into the arena and can basically play until you lose. The gear/boat you bring in will not come back out though it's play till you die. So you can queue up things like a 1v1 schooner or 2 schooners, 2 brigs, and a galley vs an equal team or whatever. This would bring new life into the sea combat without it being a random thing it's now basically forced. You could also have some ground fights with tames or whatever just queue up and fight for badges. You earn your badges and pay for your flag if your flag runs out of badges your island unclaims and somebody with badges can take it. You would also give badges a spoil time so people can't just amass them. That way people have PvP when they want it no offline crap no stupid sieges. No more oh they have more people.

~Lotus

• Like 3

Merge them and lose the PVE players. Just because PVP is going it's normal route of twitchy, angst-filled twats getting bored and leaving when they have no one to offline raid or grief does not make taking one playerbase that has made an active choice to avoid those mechanics a winning solution. It amazes me that game developers keep falling for the chest thumpers claims of huge populations that would make them rich, rich, rich if they would only listen to them and go full loot pvp anytime kills. Most of them are now looking for jobs since those games have folded or are in the process.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, UnknownSystemError said:

Merge them and lose the PVE players. Just because PVP is going it's normal route of twitchy, angst-filled twats getting bored and leaving when they have no one to offline raid or grief does not make taking one playerbase that has made an active choice to avoid those mechanics a winning solution. It amazes me that game developers keep falling for the chest thumpers claims of huge populations that would make them rich, rich, rich if they would only listen to them and go full loot pvp anytime kills. Most of them are now looking for jobs since those games have folded or are in the process.

This.

For 15 years I have listened to a certain kind of pvp player endlessly deride, insult, abuse, talk down to and dismiss pve players in chest thumping excesses of thinly disguised gamer snobbery (and make no mistake snobbery is exactly what it is because when you peel all the bs away what is left is a core attitude of “I am better than you because of the way I choose to play.”)

The irony of this epeen bravado is that all available empirical data suggests strongly that without pve players to support the MMO’s these coxcombs are playing, the games would soon fold. Let me provide for you a list of all the long term successful games that can reasonably be considered of the same genre as Atlas in which pvp players do not represent a minority of the playerbase:

Eve.

And that’s it.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

yes more people...all of who will try and sink us for teh lulz

the only real way this might become attractive to pve (and its not that attractive) is to have a faction based system..which would at least give a chance for some of the "more people to play with" to at least be on the same side , rather than just waiting to gank.

7 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

This.

For 15 years I have listened to a certain kind of pvp player endlessly deride, insult, abuse, talk down to and dismiss pve players in chest thumping excesses of thinly disguised gamer snobbery (and make no mistake snobbery is exactly what it is because when you peel all the bs away what is left is a core attitude of “I am better than you because of the way I choose to play.”)

The irony of this epeen bravado is that all available empirical data suggests strongly that without pve players to support the MMO’s these coxcombs are playing, the games would soon fold. Let me provide for you a list of all the long term successful games that can reasonably be considered of the same genre as Atlas in which pvp players do not represent a minority of the playerbase:

Eve.

And that’s it.

Eve was a play time = advantage though like the skills and stuff were time gated which was a way to milk money to me which is why I only played it for a month. It was just bad 😕

~Lotus

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Derfel said:

the only real way this might become attractive to pve (and its not that attractive) is to have a faction based system..which would at least give a chance for some of the "more people to play with" to at least be on the same side , rather than just waiting to gank.

I like the idea of a faction based system.

1 minute ago, Derfel said:

I rather have factions in PvE like Damned invading islands and then an empire faction we are sided with to go fight them off and that would be dailies and the damned would rotate and so you could have hot spots like the invasions in WoW.

~Lotus

• Like 3

Just now, Myrmidon said:

I like the idea of a faction based system.

if i recall Soe did a pirate game similar to this many years back called burning seas? or some such
you picked your nation , British , spanish ,french,pirates etc and leveled and fought pve/pvp under that banner.
it meant the seas were still rife with Bloody pirates attacking you if you entered territory claimed by them , but you were mostly playing pve unless you sought out that risk
It might work for this , but perhaps different pirate factions (as I forsee most people wantin to be pirates rather than navy/traders)

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

According to the forums people quit because of cheaters more than it's boring.

So I proposed this a while ago and people thought it was stupid but I will throw the idea out there again. I believe that PvP should have the safe zone thing all the time. Your island will be paid for with badges instead of gold. The badges are earned through going into a battleground or arena and fighting other teams. You pay gold to enter into the arena and can basically play until you lose. The gear/boat you bring in will not come back out though it's play till you die. So you can queue up things like a 1v1 schooner or 2 schooners, 2 brigs, and a galley vs an equal team or whatever. This would bring new life into the sea combat without it being a random thing it's now basically forced. You could also have some ground fights with tames or whatever just queue up and fight for badges. You earn your badges and pay for your flag if your flag runs out of badges your island unclaims and somebody with badges can take it. You would also give badges a spoil time so people can't just amass them. That way people have PvP when they want it no offline crap no stupid sieges. No more oh they have more people.

~Lotus

So to own land I must get badges? To get badges I must go PVP? One word. No.

3 minutes ago, AntonyVW said:

So to own land I must get badges? To get badges I must go PVP? One word. No.

For PvP not for PvE. PvE would stay gold. PvP is supposed to be about ship vs ship combat and such. It's basically a bunch of hackers cheating to kill each other though.

~Lotus

• Like 2

Make it so that you can't lose your stuff when you're not logged in and more people might be inclined to play pvp.

I know i would, but i will never accept having to rebuild my ship every single fucking day just because a bunch of 50-something shit-for-brains found the hiding spot for my schooner.

I'd love to do pvp, but losing my ship because of player vs nothing is mind-boggingly stupid.

Also, where is the fucking incentive to keep corp size small?

Where is the mechanism that would allow a smaller company to succeed, or even just barely survive?

There must be a way for small corps to seriously hurt mega corps!

Idk maybe make them have exponential upkeep, scaling with corp size?

1 hour ago, user1 said:

Make it so that you can't lose your stuff when you're not logged in and more people might be inclined to play pvp.

I know i would, but i will never accept having to rebuild my ship every single fucking day just because a bunch of 50-something shit-for-brains found the hiding spot for my schooner.

I'd love to do pvp, but losing my ship because of player vs nothing is mind-boggingly stupid.

Also, where is the fucking incentive to keep corp size small?

Where is the mechanism that would allow a smaller company to succeed, or even just barely survive?

There must be a way for small corps to seriously hurt mega corps!

Idk maybe make them have exponential upkeep, scaling with corp size?

Why would they add a penalty for grouping? It's an MMO -_-

~Lotus

• Like 2