Sign in to follow this  
HM7

Treasure Defender

On 5/24/2019 at 5:48 AM, HM7 said:

i dont see why it should be a problem to fix this. Games should be fun and not have stupid mechanics that make people unhappy. If you want to go milksop style with an OP tame you will also be happy when you are not prevented to dig up the treasure because some lonely defender sank in the ground whereever and nowhere to be found

It's not a problem to fix it because it's not broken. The only person made unhappy by this mechanic is you. Referring to the way just about everyone else does this as "milksop style" isn't going to convince a lot of people to see things your way. It's pretty poor form to insist others lack courage just because they use tames to finish treasure runs promptly. Others don't lack courage so much as you lack humility and horse sense. If you don't want to use tames to do treasure, fine, that's your call, but the game doesn't revolve around you and your obtuse playstyle choices. Either do it the way nearly everyone else does it, or suck it up and deal but for Boomer's sake cease inflicting your self indulgent prattle upon us.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, Sleepinator2000 said:

I don't see why everyone is attacking the OP. He isn't saying he wants to avoid the fight or get rewarded for no effort. His request is pretty clear to me - he just wants a way to engage or locate a straggler from a fight.

I too think it is ridiculous that they wander off cliffs and under inaccessible locations only to bury themselves in the ground never to be seen again, making the treasure effectively unlootable. They aren't there to protect it, why can't we dig it up?

The answer is of course that it would encourage kiting exploits, and not fighting, but I don't see anything wrong with having a dig attempt respawn any remaining defenders back near the treasure so you can at least try to clean them up.

Everyone is attacking the OP because a primary reason he's having this problem is his refusal to use tames on treasure leading to him failing the dps checks. You are partially misunderstanding the nature of his problem. It isn't really a broken mechanic, if he could pass the dps checks tames or no tames, then he wouldn't wind up having the problem he does. Instead his refusal to follow a commonly accepted approach leads him to demand self centeredly that the developers devote resources to fixing something that is a problem for almost no one.

The game is still in early access and pathing of mobs is something one would expect to see addressed over time as the game is polished, but the OP ignores this obvious reality and instead wants an issue trivial to most given priority because his obtuse playstyle makes it an issue for him.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:49 AM, boomervoncannon said:

Everyone is attacking the OP because a primary reason he's having this problem is his refusal to use tames on treasure leading to him failing the dps checks. You are partially misunderstanding the nature of his problem. It isn't really a broken mechanic, if he could pass the dps checks tames or no tames, then he wouldn't wind up having the problem he does. Instead his refusal to follow a commonly accepted approach leads him to demand self centeredly that the developers devote resources to fixing something that is a problem for almost no one.

The game is still in early access and pathing of mobs is something one would expect to see addressed over time as the game is polished, but the OP ignores this obvious reality and instead wants an issue trivial to most given priority because his obtuse playstyle makes it an issue for him.

Well stated. I understand your reasoning.

Ironically, I personally refuse to use tames on maps above 10 quality because I found that I would frequently toss a particularly resilient defender into an inaccessible location (like a chasm, or under terrain), and have to wait the full cycle to try again from scratch, simply because there was no mechanism to recover them beyond the mindlessly boring wait.

Now that I have switched to in-situ traps and heavy ordinance, I can virtually guarantee that the attackers are physically prevented from pathing into spots where they will prevent me from killing them the very first time. Setup takes longer, but it pales in comparison with the time it takes to sail to a 20+ masterwork, so is worth it to me. Perhaps the OP could try something like that for a change?

I've found that if you use some decent metal armour, mastercraft or above, with a decent sword.. maybe even a shield, along with the pistols, blunderbus and some grenades..

Then Maps are easy.. the main issue, is getting to where they are.. either through someones walls or up a 150 high spiral of steps..then they're frustrating.. and you really earn that 2k gold.. I'd rather kill a couple of whales.

Edited by Martyn

On 5/23/2019 at 12:24 PM, TerrorTrooper said:

There’s your issue with doing the maps. 

No. Thats an issue with this game being utterly retarded.

You can do treasure maps, as long as you are using tames.

You can explore islands quickly, as long as you are usimg tames.

You can gather resources quickly, as long as you are using tames.

You can easily fight alpha creatures, as long as you are using tames.

And there is no flipping alternative.

You have to use tames, and that's bullshit!

What idiot came up with the utterly idiotic idea to make tames do fricking everything in this game?

Why do i have to tame a whole fricking zoo in order to get anything done?

I don't want a cuddle zoo simulator with a pirate related mini game tied into it.

Give us ways of doing things without a fricking tame!

If you want the little wabbits and fuzzy wuzzies and beary bearies and elephanties and to cuddle and wuddle them all the time, maybe hello kitty online is the game you are looking for!

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2019 at 6:49 AM, boomervoncannon said:

I didn't want to do the whole taming thing either, but ended up having to do it because it's the only type of combat that works.  It seems silly.  I don't understand why everyone is jumping all over the OP for saying that.  It's a valid opinion to have that a pirate game ought not to insist that everyone keep a menagerie, and it's perfectly legit to put that opinion out in front of the devs.

Keep in mind the devs originally said tames weren't supposed to be a "thing" in this game, even though they were in there.  I don't see any problem with someone wanting some additional path to battle that doesn't include them.  They don't really fit the genre anyway.  In the end, a game that provides multiple ways of fighting including firearms and melee weapons, but makes it so the only way to succeed is with a tamed animal is kind of strange.

Edited by Winter Thorne

Remember that animals are bigger, stronger and have natural abilities which give a variety of animals the equivalent status as tools in a toolbox.

If a rhino is better at beating up rocks, then it's going to be better than a dude with a pick, or if a giraffe is naturally a thatch snatcher, then it'll be better than a dude with a pick.  If you have a group of undead skeletons with maces, a thick skinned 800 lb honking bear with shredding claws, is going to be better than a dude with a club.

I just think of tames as tools from a toolbox.  Players have the ability to do everything, but master nothing.  Imagine how ridiculous the game would be to have players stronger than a bear and faster than a horse and strip thatch like a giraffe and fell trees like an elephant and put out more melee damage than a lion and crunch stone better than a rhino......   

Could let players fly like a bird and have more life than the Kraken I guess 😄:D

THAT SAID

If mankind were again top of the food chain by use of tools, then i could get that a dude could be tougher than a 900lb bear if he wore Kevlar armour...  or he could fell trees better than an elephant, if wielding a chainsaw, or, put out more damage than a lion if wielded a 50cal bolt action sniper rifle.... or do more AOE damage than a pack of bears if armed with frag grenades.

Depends how far we want to 'evolve' our atlas toons.  There's something appealing about NOT being top of everything, yet, using any and all resources to fulfill tasks as optimal as one sees fit.  I guess not a lot compares to a full broadside from a galleon  😉   Admittedly never tried that on a beach treasure map!

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

I didn't want to do the whole taming thing either, but ended up having to do it because it's the only type of combat that works.  It seems silly.  I don't understand why everyone is jumping all over the OP for saying that.  It's a valid opinion to have that a pirate game ought not to insist that everyone keep a menagerie, and it's perfectly legit to put that opinion out in front of the devs.

Keep in mind the devs originally said tames weren't supposed to be a "thing" in this game, even though they were in there.  I don't see any problem with someone wanting some additional path to battle that doesn't include them.  They don't really fit the genre anyway.  In the end, a game that provides multiple ways of fighting including firearms and melee weapons, but makes it so the only way to succeed is with a tamed animal is kind of strange.

You can succeed without tames, it's just not as efficient. I have done treasure maps both with tames and without them. With tames is faster. Admittedly bears were OP, and even after the recent nerf might need a bit more of a nerf, but the point is not that people shouldn't express opinions to the devs but rather the OP wants something that is an issue for him and perhaps a small minority given priority because he makes playstyle choices that are unusual and create extra difficulty for himself. AI pathing and tame combat balance are things one would normally expect to be addressed over time in a long term EA process, just not necessarily at such an early juncture since they aren't game defining.

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

the OP wants something that is an issue for him and perhaps a small minority given priority because he makes playstyle choices that are unusual and create extra difficulty for himself.

Depends on your perspective, I guess.  A newer player, especially one who never played Ark might find the playstyle choice of a pirate having to kill everything with a tamed bear to be unusual.  A few months ago, I thought it was a really unusual choice too.  I was having a hard time with maps, the devs were saying taming wasn't a major component to the game, players were saying taming was awful and broken, and people on the forums were calling me crazy for not taming and doing maps with bears.  To my mind that spoke of incredibly illogical game design, something that one would normally expect to be addressed early in EA, as it impacts everything else.

But...~shrug~....I suppose I'm getting used to the goofy ideas now, although I still wouldn't call wanting to be able to use pistols or a carbine in a fair fight against the undead an unusual choice.  Given some of the design choices here I view future updates with trepidation and the expectation that we'll all be forced to travel by farting into hot air balloons next.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

we'll all be forced to travel by farting into hot air balloons next.

lol, sometimes I think being able to fart into a sail may overcome some of the dead wind situations sometimes. 

Fart projecting has to become a skill at some point.

5 hours ago, user1 said:

No. Thats an issue with this game being utterly retarded.

You can do treasure maps, as long as you are using tames.

You can explore islands quickly, as long as you are usimg tames.

You can gather resources quickly, as long as you are using tames.

You can easily fight alpha creatures, as long as you are using tames.

And there is no flipping alternative.

You have to use tames, and that's bullshit!

What idiot came up with the utterly idiotic idea to make tames do fricking everything in this game?

Why do i have to tame a whole fricking zoo in order to get anything done?

I don't want a cuddle zoo simulator with a pirate related mini game tied into it.

Give us ways of doing things without a fricking tame!

If you want the little wabbits and fuzzy wuzzies and beary bearies and elephanties and to cuddle and wuddle them all the time, maybe hello kitty online is the game you are looking for!

No.. it really is.. can I remind you of the opening line of the OP’s post... it says “I play solo”

and about the 5th line he says “I’m struggling with the higher quality maps”

this is a persistent online multiplayer survival game that is geared up for community actions, if you want to do the more difficult tasks solo, there are tools for that, they’re called tames.

nerfing the more difficult tasks in a multiplayer orientated game just because someone wants to do it solo, without the tools the game provides to aid him because he doesn’t like them is ridiculous! The harder aspects of the game aren’t designed to be done on your own, nor should they be frankly., and he chooses to not use the tools that help solo it. Again, not the games problem, it’s his! That’s like complaining as you have to use guns in call of duty because he wants to do whe whole game with a knife. It’s unreasonable.

So with respect, my original point still stands! But I do agree with you that we need more options.

Edited by TerrorTrooper

10 minutes ago, TerrorTrooper said:

No.. it really is.. can I remind you of the opening line of the OP’s post... it says “I play solo”

and about the 5th line he says “I’m struggling with the higher quality maps”

this is a persistent online multiplayer survival game that is geared up for community actions, if you want to do the more difficult tasks solo, there are tools for that, they’re called tames.

nerfing the more difficult tasks in a multiplayer orientated game just because someone wants to do it solo, without the tools the game provides to aid him because he doesn’t like them is ridiculous! 

So with respect, my original point still stands! But I do agree with you that we need more options.

The game has more options. The thing is tames are meta and most people only know how to use the meta right now. You can use grenades and oil jars it's just not as cheap as a bear which is reusable.

If you are doing a map with 5-8 people with gear that is actually crafted you will not struggle too much than if you are a solo with a primitive carbine. -_-

~Lotus

• Like 1