Sign in to follow this  
Ichor

Soo uh, what do?

I am in a small company of 5 people, we like the game a lot and wish to progress It. However when looking ahead, how the heck are we to manage getting anywhere worthwhile? We want to do the powerstones, the ship battles and the like, but is it even feasible without having 20 or 100 people?

The numbers just don't bode well for those who don't have a large group to play with. Some of the bosses just dont seem possible, maps just overwhelm us, and we have no real hope of ever building outside of lawless. Game is fun, but just doesn't seem designed for groups smaller than 20.

And some of the mat grinds are just mind numbing alone.

Side question, do Ships of the damned spawn only in fleets now? We can't take them all on, we havent the npc crew to man enough cannons. Nor are our boats durable enough to endure the battle. It just seems what ever enjoyable aspect in the game is just not possible for those who don't want to be a slave in a mega.

• Like 1

maps?....use bears to do treasure maps matey....level up there mele ect...

my company is just me and a mate...we have 2 galleons,2 brigs,schooners ect ect..you get the jist..

i got the sub....powerstones and the bosses can be soloed...just google it..

hell i mythos just for a giggle on my own when bored...by kiting gorgons from a ballista schooner from shore.

i built my mates galleon this weekend...in just under 8 hours....complete with all deck furniture.

get a nellie for wood....bears for treasure.....and for a crap ton thatch get a girrafe or even better go to l9 and gather the leafy stuff in its thousands via a bear from the middle island beach

i am in pve but hell...i dont make all this shit just for some asshole to destroy it on a whimm....its my pirate toybox you bastards!

(it also helps that i am semi retired/work related spine injury and am on most of the day pottering about much to my wife and kids delight ha ha )

oh and live on a lawless....

Edited by hurricane moon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the encouragement, it's been a bit dull lately and what we never got anywhere in ark despite pouring ungodly amounts of time into it easily 2k+ hours.

1 minute ago, Ichor said:

Thank you for the encouragement, it's been a bit dull lately and what we never got anywhere in ark despite pouring ungodly amounts of time into it easily 2k+ hours.

no worries....if your in eu pve and sailing through n7 at any time just holla for old moon...well sort you and your crew out a nice cool rum each

I'll keep that in mind, perhaps form a long distance alliance. lol

As Hurricane said, maps can be soloed with a bear (but its faster with a second person on a swivel gun), hydra powestones too (u can solo kill hydra without any problems with a ship cannons on your back). Dragon is a bit problematic solo but with a group of 5 u should not have any problems. 

Sotd fleets totally soloable with 4-5 ship cannons on the back of the ship (putting some levels into dmg really speeds up the process). I do it very often and always solo (and Im talking about red fleets on golden ruins).

The only thing you will probably struggle is to kill Kraken with 5 people. It is possible but definitely hard. Try to join some alliance for it or go leech him (park your ship right behind a barrier).

About ship fight - u need about 2-3 people on a ship and you are 5. You can solo fight too but its problematic with repairs then especially on a gally.

Edited by Willard

On a 2x weekend it takes 3 hours to 3.5 hours for one person to harvest the materials for a galleon when done correctly with a little thought and planning. If you think the material grind is mind numbing then there is a good chance you aren't using the most efficient method available. 

Time consuming is gathering 6 different material flavours for crafting the higher end blueprints. Why shouldn't it take time, if something is called legendary or mythical then by definition you shouldn't be able to snap your fingers and poof you have it. 

Small companies can Co operate to achieve higher end goals such as the kraken or similar harder content. 

Ships of the damned... I destroyed a fleet last night without issue using a schooner it was ridiculously easy. They were not high level and one should level up ones ship before taking in higher level ships. 

None of the goals in the game are insurmountable for small groups of people. 

This is not an instant gratification game this is a game you play long term and achieve long term goals. There is plenty of fun to be had along the way but no one is going to hand you everything some things do require some effort

• Like 1

I am on my own in my company also, i like it that way but I'm lucky enough to be on an island where we help each other.

I am in alliance with several other companies with low numbers and we do things together.

I would not want to be in a large company anyway because i find all it brings is misery and arguments. 

Beating the Kraken can be done, sometimes if you go there and ask nicely others will let you join them and you can do it.

I like to be organised in this game, maybe that's just me but i save maps for weekend and do them myself and if i need certain resource i set time aside and go to do it, no rushing around.

I love playing the game alone though, you can do it also just stick with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ichor said:

I am in a small company of 5 people, we like the game a lot and wish to progress It. However when looking ahead, how the heck are we to manage getting anywhere worthwhile? We want to do the powerstones, the ship battles and the like, but is it even feasible without having 20 or 100 people?

The numbers just don't bode well for those who don't have a large group to play with. Some of the bosses just dont seem possible, maps just overwhelm us, and we have no real hope of ever building outside of lawless. Game is fun, but just doesn't seem designed for groups smaller than 20.

Side question, do Ships of the damned spawn only in fleets now? We can't take them all on, we havent the npc crew to man enough cannons. Nor are our boats durable enough to endure the battle. It just seems what ever enjoyable aspect in the game is just not possible for those who don't want to be a slave in a mega.

Most of the PvE companies are small, we are also a company of 6 people but only 3 are active. Here are some tips -

1. Tame lvl. 25+ bears, elephants, giraffes and rhinos.

2. use bears for treasure maps upto journeyman quality. for mw you can use 3 bears or elephant if solo.

3. For killing Hydra use a ship with cannons or balistas. Or you can use swivels with cannister ammo. Just avoid killing drake, kill hydra and travel to ruins which has drake and get the powerstone.

4. Feed Shrunken Head Stew to elephant when you want to farm wood, its stamina drains slowly and fills up quickly.

5. Use rhino for farming bamboo and darkwood if you need 6th type.

6. For kraken, just ask if someone is doing it 8/10 times they'll let you join.

7. Use armoured brigs or ships with cannons on the back for fighting sotd. I prefer normal broadside with tons of levels into resistance.

It'll be easy once you figure out everything.

8 hours ago, Ichor said:

Which server are you on? If EU PVE then I can help out with land on a non lawless. And if you want to do Powerstones etc we can help three too.

We are in NA PVE. I appreciate all the advice, it really is encouraging. I guess just looking at the numbers and past ark experiences were getting me down y'know?

10 hours ago, Ichor said:

What things gave you a hard time in ARK?  I found that I can do more in ARK as a solo or small group then I can in ATLAS thus far, though ATLAS has got a lot more Time Sinks then ARK ever had.

Breeding, even being remotely close to do any bosses, which we aren't. It's just been a miserable endless grind with no end in sight or reward. At least I like my procoptodons and hyenas.

Ugh, yeah if you are playing on an Official server I can see breeding being a pain in the butt time-wise and you probably want a good group of max level Rexes to take on the Bosses.  Honestly the Dragon is the only one I would say that might kill a group of 15 max level imprinted Rexes, and that's just because the Breath does % based damage not a straight number.

Good news is that in ATLAS to do more of the endgame stuff you can get around the gear grind with thinking outside the box with a lot of it.

Edited by CoopedUp

Shipwrecks are decent at providing gold since the recent update. Use the gold for crew because having a crew on your ship opens up a whole new world of options.  I have less people then you and every quest except the ghost ship(which I can't find) done, on pvp.

Edited by DocOlds

I have been totally soloing this game. 

AND not taming. 

I solo maps with grenades and my pike to finish off the last one or two (learning how to dodge is important). And on lawless islands I use explosive barrels (can't used those on claimed islands). Sure, it took some clever tactics and multiple attempts--using a total of 40 grenades--before I beat the quality 13.8 map I had. But it was filled with mythic blueprints. Everything lower than that is doable and buildable.

I have a brig that I built on a x2 weekend. Took half a day. Just got the "level 50+ galleon" objective with that brig last night, fighting SOTD fleets in a Golden Ages zone.

Part of resolving the grind is finding places with dense resources. Having the right location for your base matters. The valley I am in has so-so wood, lots of sugar cane, plenty of rocks. Further up the valley is lots of metal. Further up from there, at the top of the valley, gems and hidden coal. I have a cabin up there for making cannon balls, grenades, and explosive barrels. Fiber is a little thin where I live, but another island in the same zone has double-thick fiber plants. I just go there and harvest with a MW sickle, get 30K in about 10-15 minutes. Crystal is found on another island in this zone. Salt is the only thing I am missing and I have to travel three zones to get to a place with salt, but that's typical for most zones as I understand it.

I understand you can solo the hydra. And the cyclops. But as a solo I find the Golden Age islands just a little too tough for the gear I have right now. Will try again after I finish my current circuit of green and blue maps and then build the MW and Legendary gear that they give me access to.

I play about two hours around lunch time, two four evening hours stints. But only rarely get a weekend day to focus on the game, since as a freelancer IRL I often work weekends. And my wife likes to get out of the house on weekends.