Long Shanks

Ship of the damned camping on the edge of grids ?

is this just to surprise people when they cross zones  ??

I find it very annoying to spend hours sailing to then just cross a Grid and bump straight into a Galleon of the damned !

I may have survived , but it seems the ship of the damned roll in fleets these days 3-5 ships . so I didn't manage to make it.

anyone else had fun with this happening  😞  ?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DilBert said:

Blame the player before you that kited it to the border. 

That's a symptom, not the cause.  They need to code in some way of dealing with this.  One such way would be to make you invisible to SotD, when you first travel into a grid.  Testing should give them some feedback on how long that invisibility would need to last.  This way, when you do travel into a new zone, and end up spawning right in the middle of a SotD fleet, you can just keep sailing, and be OK...so long as you do just that.  However, they need to make that timer relevant to the speed you are going when you hit the new server.  I for one, often drop my speed to almost nothing as I cross, if I am carrying tames, or a lot of people on my ship, as this seems to allow for a better spawn in of all tames and real people.  Less people and tames spawning into thin air, and dropping into the sea...less tames disappearing.  So, I would need to be able to lower the sails and get moving.

• Like 1

Ram them.  They spiral out of control faster than a 5 liter V8 powered fidget spinner.

Yesterday the game disconnected when I tried to get to I12. I could not rejoin. When I finally got back in the game, 4 SOD were attacking my ship. My Galleon had only 5k hp left. They need to fix this. 

This has not happened to me. Although most of the time I do slow down and turn parallel to the zone and creep in. This is just because I have heard of this type of thing happening to others. In this way you can immediately turn back to the other zone and re-enter further down.

it just happened again ! what a load of shit !!! I literally just built it , within 10min and the first grid cross its dead ..  Ive had enough to be honest . and now they roam in packs which is apparently a good feature ??!?!?!?!? 😓🙂☺️☺️☺️

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Long Shanks said:

it just happened again ! what a load of shit !!! I literally just built it , within 10min and the first grid cross its dead ..  Ive had enough to be honest . and now they roam in packs which is apparently a good feature ??!?!?!?!? 😓🙂☺️☺️☺️

Did you take any of the common sense advice like Chuck offered or just keep doing what you were doing before and are now surprised with similar outcomes? We all know the definition of insanity.

39 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Did you take any of the common sense advice like Chuck offered or just keep doing what you were doing before and are now surprised with similar outcomes? We all know the definition of insanity.

it would not be a problem if the game did not chose the dumb-as-shite approach of partitioning the world in grids and allowing sotd to camp right behind the border, where you can't see them so that the earliest that you could do anything to avoid them is when they're right on top of you.

this falls very nicely in line with all the other design "oversights" that take place on a regular basis.

travelling takes long enough, even without halting your ship to a crawl on each and every border.

how about we get the ability to see them before crossing over?

say it with me: inter server communication

Edited by user1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

no I didnt , i got complacent with it , it happens i Guess,  no way for the devs to re program it , otherwise i'm sure they would have done it by now!

why do they roam in packs? does anyone like this feature ? It would only be entertaining if you have a large clan and roam around with 3-4 ships looking for the ship of the damned .

If only you could see them through the border wall it would help but I guess this is not possible given it is different server.

Why don't they do as some suggest and take no damage for a certain time as you cross?

I've had them chase me towards the border of freeport, i went through thinking i was safe but they managed to get into freeport. 

Its not fun when you don't have cannons on either. I have cargo/tame galleon and always on edge when its weighed down going slow lol.

Yep I have recently taken on advice of entering grids at a steep angle so you don't go head on into anything and if there is danger you have time to react or simply go back to the previous grid.

I also still follow my own advice of travelling along the grid lines, that way you can cross grids in a straight line with no need of entering at a steep angle and have no surprises unless SoD spawn in corner of grids which i've not seen ever happen. But by crossing in the corner you've also got the immediate left or right grid to turn into if there is danger.

Edited by [GP] Guybrush Threepwood

On 5/20/2019 at 3:07 PM, DilBert said:

Blame the player before you that kited it to the border. 

This is more or less correct.  Although it isn't kiting, if the sotd follows them.  It's just how it is.  Sometimes they'll follow you further if you're still within attack distance, ie a slow loader etc.

I always open gun ports and put guns on aggressive when zoning now.  Usually everything is dead by the time I load.

Just wait until you find a lv 50+ in middle of a zone 1+ zones from a golden age.. hehe.

Edited by Martyn

I was under the impression that when they patched SoTD to avoid shores they also prevented them from "camping" borders.  Given time they will sail away.

Dunno if they sail away deeper into next zone or if they despawn, but certainly seeing less of it.  Usually we sail in pairs, so sometimes I get warnings that a group "followed me through" and they're nearly always floating wrecks when I load in.

Edited by Martyn

4 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Chances of someone recently being at the same spot having agrod SoD to the border is pretty slim with the current volume of players.

I think that's exactly the issue. If the server pop is 0 will they still sail away from shores/borders? Me thinks not. Stasis.

Edited by Nari
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nari said:

I think that's exactly the issue. If the server pop is 0 will they still sail away from shores/borders? Me thinks not. Stasis.

Hmm yes true, maybe they should despawn if in stasis for too long.

2 hours ago, Long Shanks said:

no I didnt , i got complacent with it , it happens i Guess,  no way for the devs to re program it , otherwise i'm sure they would have done it by now!

why do they roam in packs? does anyone like this feature ? It would only be entertaining if you have a large clan and roam around with 3-4 ships looking for the ship of the damned .

I definitely don't like that feature and quite honestly I'm not sure what the devs were thinking. People have been complaining since pretty much day one about SoD grouping up back when it was happening due to over-spawning. So what did they do? They went and made it even more obnoxious by making it an actual feature. 

But to answer your question if anyone likes it, yeah, there are actually some people that do. I made a thread suggesting we do away with the SoD fleet mechanic altogether or at the very least restrict it to Golden Age sectors, and had a few people say they're entirely fine with the SoD fleets and in fact like them. Hard to say for sure whether they are a minority or majority but they are out there. 

24 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I definitely don't like that feature and quite honestly I'm not sure what the devs were thinking. People have been complaining since pretty much day one about SoD grouping up back when it was happening due to over-spawning. So what did they do? They went and made it even more obnoxious by making it an actual feature. 

But to answer your question if anyone likes it, yeah, there are actually some people that do. I made a thread suggesting we do away with the SoD fleet mechanic altogether or at the very least restrict it to Golden Age sectors, and had a few people say they're entirely fine with the SoD fleets and in fact like them. Hard to say for sure whether they are a minority or majority but they are out there. 

When you are in a Galleon, the packs are very easy.  They can be taken out with almost no effort and very low risk until they hit the 50+ level range.  Having them be solo would require them to hit VERY hard to be anything close to a challenge, which would just mean they would shred schooners etc. even easier.

Brigs and even schooners can take out the lighter packs.  

From what I've seen, there's a lot of people that just won't be satisfied until there are no threats on the seas.  If you're in a Galleon, you can just push right through any SOD.  On our transport galleon (completely unarmed) I don't bother to turn when I see enemies, just push them out of the way.

I do the same on my Gally never have come close to being worried even when crossing into a ruins server and being greeted by the sound of cannon fire from two red Gallys before my screen even loaded in by the time it did they were behind me and out of range. I can see it being an issue if you are heavily loaded and the wind is low where you may not be able to out run them or may take enough sail damage before you can get out of range then can’t out run them which just happened to me while fighting a group that had a lvl 35 gally got all of them downed but the gally with my war brig when I lost a plank and tried to put some distance between us so I could repair and discovered that the gally was as fast or faster than I was so it continued to pound me while I repaired. Ended up losing two more planks and had to pucker up and engage it before I ran out of repair mats. It had destroyed 75% of my structures on my deck already. Floor under my helm was down to 1k.  SOTD present a risk but for me it adds to the fun and challenge of playing this game. Sailing is boring enough if you remove all the risk it would be even worse. I think most of issue people are having is not keeping your cool when you start getting hit and losing focus on maximizing your speed to out run them and not carrying extra planks or repair mats for when things go wrong. 

As far as the fleets of SOTD they really didn’t change anything for me out running them is just as easy as when it was one. Engaging requires a little more finesse to kite them or you can choose the brute force method sit in the middle till they are all “deader” but in the end it’s much more fun to engage a group than it was to sail across the ocean while you match speeds and pound on one with a single cannon sloop.

In terms of both number of panels and number of ships my company has lost, Rocks are WAY more dangerous than SOTD.  Nerf Rocks!

• Like 3

Just sailed into 3 gallys 3 brigs and a few schooners.. got a couple of mw gunports from it. The sotd spawns and patrol routes are quite messed up atm.  Mate reported last night a sotd group spawning on top of a whale.. it was literally bouncing them off into the air.

5 hours ago, Archsenex said:

When you are in a Galleon, the packs are very easy.  They can be taken out with almost no effort and very low risk until they hit the 50+ level range.  Having them be solo would require them to hit VERY hard to be anything close to a challenge, which would just mean they would shred schooners etc. even easier.

Brigs and even schooners can take out the lighter packs.  

From what I've seen, there's a lot of people that just won't be satisfied until there are no threats on the seas.  If you're in a Galleon, you can just push right through any SOD.  On our transport galleon (completely unarmed) I don't bother to turn when I see enemies, just push them out of the way.

have they increase the planks durability or you just have people repairing the damaged planks? 1 full volley of a SotD galleon in the same plank should be able to take it down

3 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

have they increase the planks durability or you just have people repairing the damaged planks? 1 full volley of a SotD galleon in the same plank should be able to take it down

Durability is now a stat you can level manually. 

*Resistance

Edited by Nari