Sign in to follow this  
Opa Deluca

WTF is up with all the Chinese spamming the forum?

Spam Bots work by crawling and looking for signatures of known software. Usually this is a snippet of text like a copyright or a meta tag but it could be any consistent identifier. This usually applies to blog and forum software.

It is a constant back and forth between Captcha/ReCaptcha/use of a field that requires the user to answer a question and the bots "learning" them. Rinse and repeat. 

Making security in regards to these bots as tight as possible tends to lead to genuine users encountering difficulty or frustration in signing up to our Forums so we look to walk a fine line between catching the bots and user experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Even I can't read the text sometimes...  I'm English, like to think that my grip on English is quite adequate..  However, when it comes to captcha..   trying to read that crap sometimes i end up like:

Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif 

....fail 3 times in a row, and just hit audio.  😄

• Like 1

whilst i support the thin line between overbearing security and spam blocking , general now has 15 pages of chinese spam in it...perhaps its time for the hard slapdown?
i dont mind signing in every time if it stops these damn spambots

What, you don't want a counterfeit uk diploma certificate?  

Bah.

You can apparently get a fake one, a fake fake one, or even a fake fake fake one!

Not entirely sure on the difference between a fake one, and a fake fake fake one, but supposedly they are different..  maybe one is a journeyman one, and the other a legendary perhaps?

On 5/20/2019 at 6:12 AM, Dollie said:

Spam Bots work by crawling and looking for signatures of known software. Usually this is a snippet of text like a copyright or a meta tag but it could be any consistent identifier. This usually applies to blog and forum software.

It is a constant back and forth between Captcha/ReCaptcha/use of a field that requires the user to answer a question and the bots "learning" them. Rinse and repeat. 

Making security in regards to these bots as tight as possible tends to lead to genuine users encountering difficulty or frustration in signing up to our Forums so we look to walk a fine line between catching the bots and user experience. 

The Cloudflare solution that was tried a while ago didn't work out real well. However, I feel that having one of those check boxes saying I am not a robot is pretty unintrusive, and if it's only required when starting a new topic I think most people could live with that.

I guess its kinda a zombie attack. Weird is the last words with university at the end.