Sign in to follow this  
Grodgen

Game Balance - Few Suggestions

Hostile Animal Spawns - Currently there are lawless islands with entire colonies of things that want to kill you. I understand adding predators to islands outside of freeports but currently it's at insane levels. Either change the spawn rates or make it some they kill each other some it thins out the herd. I don't understand why a croc doesn't try to eat a wolf....

Ship Decay Rate - Ships erode over time but currently I think it's a little steep. Dropping the decay by about 40-60% would really be nice. It would really help out people that work, all players to put time elsewhere, and still make ship maintenance a necessary part of sailing around.

Vitamin decay vs food decay - Food does not decay while the player is not actively doing something, so if your sailing along, your vitamin levels are plummeting while food doesn't. This seems like a major oversight, but I think the remedy to this would be do decrease vitamin decay by quite a bit. Keeping food is already hard, so increasing food decay would actually make it even more of a chore to stay alive. Make it challenging, not impossible.

Resource Respawn Rates - Islands outside of freeports are sometimes barren of resource because people have populated them with structures and left. Please decrease the no spawn ring around structures so new visitors to islands can actually partake in exploration and gathering. I know structure decay is there, but it's not working / being effective.

Exploration - Where is my incentive to explore beside building ships? Give us things to do, reasons to go out and do things other than farming materials.

Discoveries - Add surveying and about 300% more kinds of flora and materials. The Age of Exploration involved discovering things, not just islands. Having a sailing game only about piracy is boring, add more "meat" to the game.

Trading - I don't understand how trading is added in the game. Yes you can do it with players but what about the ports? I suggest adding copper and silver currency to the game and allowing players to make coins. ( Meaning being in a large company has perks ) Give freeports goods and supplies to sell to players for all 3 currencies ( copper, silver, gold, for example ). This gives players incentive to return to freeports and interact with new players and recruit them, as well as offers items to all of the above. This creates traders and give pirates an incentive to pirate at sea.

Ships - Add more kinds, there are all kinds of ships from this era. If you add my trading suggestion, then trading vessels will be something to think about. Galleys were also used during this time and would be fun from a crew ( both player and AI ) and gameplay perspective. Galleys had rams, so it would add some fun gameplay around that, and used oars and sails, often latin sails.

I might add more to this list, but I think a lot of this would really be cool additions. Please feel free to leave comments below.

Happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

Left freetown (desert region) on a raft today and sailed around for 4 hours and never could make a landfall anywhere cause I was always attacked by countless numbers of predators. When a flying dinosaur (looked like a Pteranodon of Ark Survival) grabbed and took me from my raft to kill me I had enough and logged out. The number of predators is insane.

I agree, they really do need to level out the animals so we can actually explore some islands.

13 hours ago, Grodgen said:

Hostile Animal Spawns - Currently there are lawless islands with entire colonies of things that want to kill you. I understand adding predators to islands outside of freeports but currently it's at insane levels. Either change the spawn rates or make it some they kill each other some it thins out the herd. I don't understand why a croc doesn't try to eat a wolf....

Ship Decay Rate - Ships erode over time but currently I think it's a little steep. Dropping the decay by about 40-60% would really be nice. It would really help out people that work, all players to put time elsewhere, and still make ship maintenance a necessary part of sailing around.

Vitamin decay vs food decay - Food does not decay while the player is not actively doing something, so if your sailing along, your vitamin levels are plummeting while food doesn't. This seems like a major oversight, but I think the remedy to this would be do decrease vitamin decay by quite a bit. Keeping food is already hard, so increasing food decay would actually make it even more of a chore to stay alive. Make it challenging, not impossible.

Resource Respawn Rates - Islands outside of freeports are sometimes barren of resource because people have populated them with structures and left. Please decrease the no spawn ring around structures so new visitors to islands can actually partake in exploration and gathering. I know structure decay is there, but it's not working / being effective.

Exploration - Where is my incentive to explore beside building ships? Give us things to do, reasons to go out and do things other than farming materials.

Discoveries - Add surveying and about 300% more kinds of flora and materials. The Age of Exploration involved discovering things, not just islands. Having a sailing game only about piracy is boring, add more "meat" to the game.

Trading - I don't understand how trading is added in the game. Yes you can do it with players but what about the ports? I suggest adding copper and silver currency to the game and allowing players to make coins. ( Meaning being in a large company has perks ) Give freeports goods and supplies to sell to players for all 3 currencies ( copper, silver, gold, for example ). This gives players incentive to return to freeports and interact with new players and recruit them, as well as offers items to all of the above. This creates traders and give pirates an incentive to pirate at sea.

Ships - Add more kinds, there are all kinds of ships from this era. If you add my trading suggestion, then trading vessels will be something to think about. Galleys were also used during this time and would be fun from a crew ( both player and AI ) and gameplay perspective. Galleys had rams, so it would add some fun gameplay around that, and used oars and sails, often latin sails.

I might add more to this list, but I think a lot of this would really be cool additions. Please feel free to leave comments below.

Happy sailing.

Excellent post. I agree with everything stated here.

I would also like to add possible 4x hitpoint offline protection for structures, and people.  No fun to log back in and having gotten raped without being there to enjoy the loving kisses.

War and Peace,

IDUnknown