Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Better Loot.

Better loot?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Between players popcorning the valuable stuff when they sink, and Flotsam/sunken treasure having so many useless items, would you like to see the loot improved, such as getting rid of the useless blueprints, and creating mechanics to prevent popcorning the loot by players?

• Yes
    • No

Loot is a problem.  I have sailed past more flotsam than I have opened.  You just get tired of feeling disappointed when the BP is utterly useless.  Loot should feel valuable, but you get so many thatch structures, even in high value crates, that you get discouraged.  Also, having the yellow ones, is a mistake.  We just run over those, or ignore them if they are out of the way.  What's the point?  Even the purple ones have mostly useless crap...so why stop for a yellow one.  Why not increase the amount of good stuff in them, and get rid of the yellow crates.  Make them different colors, just to add color to the game, but don't have the colors equal a value.  One thing I like about the sunken treasure, and the map bottles, is that you don't know the value until you are right up close to it.

To be honest, the better BPs aren't likely to get used, but it would feel better getting something good, than constantly getting trash that you just toss on the ground the first chance you get.  One way to add more value is to to the same as ARK does...include a chance for the blue print to be an item, instead.  Give it a random boost to the stats, as if a crafter made the item with the BP.

And...consider reducing the mythios cost for items.  It's depressing getting mythical BPs, knowing you will never use it, because the mythios is so hard to come by.

And, why are the Legendary BPs more rare than the Mythical BPs?

• Like 1

Man, that grammar...

so, in a RNG based system you can not have everything be amazing or even useful. Go play diablo, PoE or any other RNG based game and let me know how many of those drops you keep. You be lucky to keep 1% of what you find. You need to go through heaps of garbage to make the good BPs feel special. That’s just RNG 101. 

34 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

What is “popcorning” ?....

Popcorning is the process of looking at the inventory or a chest/dead body/smithy/etc and hitting the toss key bind on your keyboard over every item.  This tosses each slot 1 by 1 and puts a short depawn timer on it.  When you toss multiple selected items at once its drops a briefcase like item that has a much longer despawn timer. 

The purpose is to toss all items with short despawns so nobody else can get the loot whether its BP's, gold, resources or built items. 

Edited by DocHolliday

Ok, that makes sense.... if you drop stuff fast enough it does look like popcorn being made.... its also what I do at the dinner table with my peas....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Meerkat said:

Man, that grammar...

so, in a RNG based system you can not have everything be amazing or even useful. Go play diablo, PoE or any other RNG based game and let me know how many of those drops you keep. You be lucky to keep 1% of what you find. You need to go through heaps of garbage to make the good BPs feel special. That’s just RNG 101. 

Except that a game starts feeling more like a job...drudgery.  You get to the point that you just don't care.  I stopped asking the captains of ships to stop for flotsam, because they wouldn't do it.  Time was more valuable than the amazing amount of trash.  It doesn't all have to be amazing, but the majority can't be trash either.  It gets boring.

A mythical shipyard...it's the first mythical BP any company I have been in, cared to use.  The rest, they never bothered with.  Honestly, because the companies have always been smaller, they don't have the people to get everything done.  I am starting to see that the game is about the have's and have not's, and that's just not enjoyable.  On the other side, this is the second large company I have been in, and here are things about it that just aren't fun at all.  I'm starting to see that I like the idea of the game, but not the game itself.  I think I would have enjoyed Colonies, had it lived up to what we thought it was going to be...a server for smaller companies, with rates that made sense for smaller companies.

Simply not an enjoyable night to take a Fine, or Journeyman ship against a Legendary or Mythical ship of some Mega.  I don't get mad...just start looking for something else to do...something fun.  I look at the stark difference between WWIIOL, where even the newest guy in the game could kill Day-1 players with his rifle, in one shot, and how much I enjoyed that game, and I start realizing that a game where time and number of people are what matter, is probably not for me.

The whole haves and have nots argument becomes less of an issue if a true market can be put in the game.  Solo players can get rich off this and get all the materials and items they want if they put the work in.  All it takes is getting one rare high end BP or building one rare high end item thats in demand and fortunes can change. 

Player markets aren't going to do it.  Sure leave them in as they can be handy, but a centralized NPC market in freeports is NEEDED! 

In the end there will almost always be content that large companies have access to that solos or small companies do not.  Not sure I ever played a game where this was not the case when it comes to open world PvP MMO's. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1

SotD loot is so trash it's not even worth the cannonball mats to kill them. Floating chests are just as bad. Only shipwrecks and treasure maps are worth a shit.

32 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

They should have different loot table for pvp and pve anyway.  Half the BPs are only useful for pvp.

Agreed, I'm never making Legendary Stone Walls/Staircases/whatever when I'm not worried about anything destroying them.

9 hours ago, pope_kd said:

Agreed, I'm never making Legendary Stone Walls/Staircases/whatever when I'm not worried about anything destroying them.

and there lies the problem with PVE  player vs environment , there is no environment to worry about, this all started with ark when players moaned about their walls and bases being attacked by wild creatures , so now PVE player have nothing to worry about at all , what is so wrong about wild creatures attacking your walls/ baes trying to get at your tames , that's what defence are for are they not ? if pve players had to worry about the environment attacking them then the bp for building parts would be useful and worth hunting for ..

Edited by UDO
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, pope_kd said:

But what about a PvE Thatch, or Wood building?  If I am going to play on a PvE server, I want building mods.  I want to create something that looks good, and realistic.  Somebody is working on something called, Total Structures.  Not sure what that will be about.  But I agree with UDO...PvE should have more Environmental dangers by default, but it seems that some PvE types just want to create a little alternate world to escape to, and want it to be their private little safe space.  Games do need reasonable challenges to be fun.  What is the point of a Player vs Environment game, if the Environment isn't at all dangerous?

5 hours ago, UDO said:

and there lies the problem with PVE  player vs environment , there is no environment to worry about, this all started with ark when players moaned about their walls and bases being attacked by wild creatures , so now PVE player have nothing to worry about at all , what is so wrong about wild creatures attacking your walls/ baes trying to get at your tames , that's what defence are for are they not ? if pve players had to worry about the environment attacking them then the bp for building parts would be useful and worth hunting for ..

Not true.  In the early days, I had animals destroying structures on lawless.  They still do it just a bit, although not enough to completely wreck the place.  But there would still be no use for most of those BPs.  If animals could still destroy your buildings, who would ever build in thatch or wood anyway?  Can you imagine running around finding different mats so you could build an improved thatch wall?  It would just be silly.

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

But what about a PvE Thatch, or Wood building?  If I am going to play on a PvE server, I want building mods.  I want to create something that looks good, and realistic.  Somebody is working on something called, Total Structures.  Not sure what that will be about.  But I agree with UDO...PvE should have more Environmental dangers by default, but it seems that some PvE types just want to create a little alternate world to escape to, and want it to be their private little safe space.  Games do need reasonable challenges to be fun.  What is the point of a Player vs Environment game, if the Environment isn't at all dangerous?

The BPs would be worth something if they allowed you to build something completely different than the basic skill tree structures.  But just for improving hitpoints on a thatch wall?  Nobody cares about that.  Even if the environment attacked your buildings you're not going to improve thatch or wood, you'll just go to stone for the strength.  There are plenty of environmental hazards in pve anyway - attacks from animals, cold, heat, storms, whales and sotd at sea, hunger, vitamins....it's not like there's no environmental stuff happening so we need to destroy buildings.

I agree with you on the mods,.,we need more variety in building pieces, paints, and items, and I'd be happy if that came from flotsam and shipwreck BPs.   Not so interested in having a month's worth of work on a big build chewed up by lions though.  After spending a month building you really want to get back out doing other things, not sitting there repairing everything for the next month or so.

16 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Player markets aren't going to do it.  Sure leave them in as they can be handy, but a centralized NPC market in freeports is NEEDED! 

I suggested this way back in the beginning. What I envisioned was a black market broker/broker like they did on everquest. You had a designated area and an npc that you went to that you listed your goods with. Then a billboard at your house to see what you had for sale.

12 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Not true.  In the early days, I had animals destroying structures on lawless.  They still do it just a bit, although not enough to completely wreck the place.  But there would still be no use for most of those BPs.  If animals could still destroy your buildings, who would ever build in thatch or wood anyway?  Can you imagine running around finding different mats so you could build an improved thatch wall?  It would just be silly.

who said anything about thatch walls ? noone 

stone could be damaged by rhinos if the devs wanted too , elephants / giraffes could destroy wood ? if the environment isn't doing anything to be worried about then of course the bps are not worth getting , the environment needs to be dangerous to make the bps worthwhile on pve, noone even bothers with improved ship parts on pve as there are no dangers form the enviroment that warrant it 

Edited by UDO

1 hour ago, UDO said:

who said anything about thatch walls ? noone 

Well, we were talking about better loot.  Nobody wants a thatch BP even if the environment is attacking your house.  Still, I think there's enough "environment" (as listed above).  I'd rather they not make the environment harsher just to get some use out of a few of the  building BPs.  I'd rather they make the BP drops on pve more suited to pve.

8 hours ago, UDO said:

Nah, that wasn’t it at all. Not even close. It was the pve grievers that would bring titanosaurs to be able to offline people in ark. That was why it was disabled.

There is a feedback and suggestions section that has a polling system built in.

Polling here is like saying raise your hand if you dont like broccoli :classic_wacko:

On 5/17/2019 at 7:47 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Loot is a problem.  I have sailed past more flotsam than I have opened.  You just get tired of feeling disappointed when the BP is utterly useless.  Loot should feel valuable, but you get so many thatch structures, even in high value crates, that you get discouraged.  Also, having the yellow ones, is a mistake.  We just run over those, or ignore them if they are out of the way.  What's the point?  Even the purple ones have mostly useless crap...so why stop for a yellow one.  Why not increase the amount of good stuff in them, and get rid of the yellow crates.  Make them different colors, just to add color to the game, but don't have the colors equal a value.  One thing I like about the sunken treasure, and the map bottles, is that you don't know the value until you are right up close to it.

To be honest, the better BPs aren't likely to get used, but it would feel better getting something good, than constantly getting trash that you just toss on the ground the first chance you get.  One way to add more value is to to the same as ARK does...include a chance for the blue print to be an item, instead.  Give it a random boost to the stats, as if a crafter made the item with the BP.

And...consider reducing the mythios cost for items.  It's depressing getting mythical BPs, knowing you will never use it, because the mythios is so hard to come by.

And, why are the Legendary BPs more rare than the Mythical BPs?

Ah, the gold ole white drops from ark. Gotta love those guys right? Nah.

real shame too. They actually wasted a lot of time with skill points and having a high point percentage to learn very minimal things. This is unfortunate to be about. With me not playing the game I didn’t k ow for sure but if they are still doing this then it is a problem.

this part I can speak from experience on. Flying around whichever map it was island/center/rag/etc. you automatically know to avoid certain drops.

ny one question is do they give any kind of indication that what you are going for is worthless like they did with ark? If not that needs to change quick.

if you are going to bother putting that kind of crap in the game they need to have it marked as “hey you are a level 1, come and get this”.

really hoped they would have stopped wasting people’s time

What would be an improvement would be if you got a tiny bit of mythos for breaking down all the junk blueprints.

14 minutes ago, Myth said:

What would be an improvement would be if you got a tiny bit of mythos for breaking down all the junk blueprints.

Now this mythos, is this basically element from ark? What exactly is it? I haven’t looked it up yet. 

19 hours ago, UDO said:

The problem on PVE wasn't "animals attack my walls," it was "animals glitch through or spawn directly inside my walls."

None can damage stone anyway, so there's still zero need for upgraded recipes.

Edited by pope_kd

15 hours ago, Realist said:

Ah, the gold ole white drops from ark. Gotta love those guys right? Nah.

real shame too. They actually wasted a lot of time with skill points and having a high point percentage to learn very minimal things. This is unfortunate to be about. With me not playing the game I didn’t k ow for sure but if they are still doing this then it is a problem.

this part I can speak from experience on. Flying around whichever map it was island/center/rag/etc. you automatically know to avoid certain drops.

ny one question is do they give any kind of indication that what you are going for is worthless like they did with ark? If not that needs to change quick.

if you are going to bother putting that kind of crap in the game they need to have it marked as “hey you are a level 1, come and get this”.

really hoped they would have stopped wasting people’s time

Yeah, it's basically like the white drops.  Does anyone even bother with them at low levels, if they are experienced with the game?  No.  Now...what I did do, was drop everything on the ground from white drops, to get other drops to spawn faster.  When a drop is cleaned out, and disappears, it causes a new drop to spawn...if not right away, after a very sort period, or so it seemed.

I don't go out of my way to do it, but I will run over a yellow drop, if it is close to my path.  The thing is, when I am traveling with others, they won't even stop for mid level crates.  This is why I would like to see them revamped.  The increasing of the gold was not enough, since the amount of gold in them was pitiful at best.  So, I would like to see them totally revamp this system.

• Make the crates more colors, just to add some eye candy.  But make the colors meaningless.
  • Reduce the chances of useless blueprints.  It's depressing to get thatch wall after thatch ceiling after thatch roof, after thatch floor, after platform, after gate.
  • Make the level of the crate actually matter.  We shouldn't be getting a lot of thatch in high level crates.  In fact, you shouldn't be getting thatch at all, in high level crates.  The type of item, as well as it's quality, should determine which level of crates it's in.  It's enough to make you uninstall the game, when you find that rare 2 digit crate, only to get a Masterwork, or Legendary thatch wall.  
  • Make the quality of the crate imperceptible from a distance, as is the case with maps, and sunken treasure.
  • Add a chance for the BP to be an item, instead of a BP, and add a random crafting bonus to it, so that it is truly useful.
  • In place of some of the useless BPs, allow there to be useful resources instead...like some gun powder, fire gel, iridium, Agedwood, etc...  This should range all the way from just a small handful for a very low level crate, to a full stack in a very high level crate.

With some good changes to the crates, we might see more people out farming them.

22 hours ago, Realist said:

Now this mythos, is this basically element from ark? What exactly is it? I haven’t looked it up yet. 

It's a rare resource dropped from mythical creatures(Cyclops, Fire Elemental, Gorgon, Rock Elemental, Yeti, Drakes, Hydra), used to craft and upgrade Mythical quality blueprints and couple end game food recipes. 

Edited by Myth