Cantore

Ideas to spruce up game content:

Hi guys!

I'm just putting together some ideas for the devs. Who knows, maybe they'll implement some or all of them 😄

IDEA: Keeping the sailors in PvE sailing - Ships become floating bases.

- Once you have your shipyard, and a merry port, players want to team up and feel as though there's some great stuff to explore on the vast oceans of the realm. The devs have already begun to develop places to go, but what about the ships themselves? The components of a ship need an overhaul to become a truly great mobile base that every adventurer would love. So, here's some suggestions as to what needs to be done with the ships themselves to make them more ocean-sustainable:

•  A Ship's galley - A component that fits a portion of the ship's deck (depending on the size/width of the ship's hull), and snaps to that portion of the deck, depending on which deck the player wants it. The galley component would house the cooking materials, stacking food bag storage, cupboards, ice chamber, chicken cages (number depending upon the size of the ship/galley), and a food prep area. The player could 'move' chickens to the cages, depending on the number of cages there are (not counting as crew space), or they could have them loose on the decks, taking up crew space. The storage bags could stack and organize the food much the same as a resource container.
  •  Tier 2 Animal (Cow/Horse/Bear/Lion/Tiger) Stall - A component that you snap to a ship deck that would house tier 2 animals below the decks. The catch: It must have an air shaft that reaches to the top deck. On the top deck, you'd see a vent-looking 1x2 square area that the animal will 'spawn' at when you take them out of the cages once anchored. You can put the component on the very bottom deck, but the decks above it would have a railing around that 1x2 square area (in other words, they can't build on the blocks above it).
  •  Tier 3 Animal Stall - Same as the Tier 2 Animal stall, only larger opening to the top (2x3 block area), and small openings on the top deck to allow the giraffe's neck to poke out, given their height.
  • Hammocks - These are placed on the ceiling of the floor tile above your head with a limit of 1 per snap tile that you can use. Each hammock you place increases your crew size without leveling the ship. However, if one is destroyed, you will lose that crew space until/unless you level the ship. When docked, you will find the crew sweeping the deck, or resting in a hammock, if you have one.
  •  Ship bells - I don't know how these were missed, but should be a functional component to a ship in some way, perhaps signaling the start and end of a day, as well as high noon.
  •  Beat to Quarters - Various types of drums can be made, from traditional snare drums to the more-tribal drums. Either way, these will beat when you open your gun ports!
  •  Ship's whistle - When you raise and drop anchor, the ship's whistle will sound. I wanted to have it whenever you change anything related to the sails, but that would get REALLY annoying in this game.
  • Captain's Cabin -  This would be a ship component that only snaps to the stern of the ship. If installed, it would have windows and such allowing  you to see through that part of the ship's hull. Since this would be one component that really varies in style and functionality, there SHOULD be various TYPES of Captain's Cabins. For the sake of example, I'll list a few variations you should have: 
        a) Basic: Snaps to small hull, and consists of a small room with a desk (with a small chart and compass on it), chair, and a functional bed.
        b) Medium: Snaps to a medium hull, and consists of a medium size room with a desk  (with a small chart and compass on it), chair, windows, a cabinet, and a functional bed.
        c) Large with Gun ports: Snaps to a large hull, and consists of a large size room with a fancy large desk  (with a large chart and compass on it), chair, windows, cabinets, a weapons locker,  2 x stern cannon gun ports (cannons not included),  and a functional bed.
        d) Large (without Gun ports): Snaps to a large hull, and consists of a large size room with a fancy large desk  (with a large chart and compass on it), chair, windows, cabinets, a weapons locker, a lovely seating area where the gun ports would be, and a functional bed.
  •  Raise the colors! - Flags can be a lovely component added atop your masts in a variety of ways. But, allowing a player to put their Company flag on their ship would be nice!
  •  Storage hold - A component that would snap to the ship deck to allow for more hull carry capacity (basically dropping the weight of any of the materials being carried by the ship). The player could put multiple holds on the ship, depending on the size of the ship to maximize for this type of hauling, and they could be placed on multiple snap points of the deck. However, if it is placed in an area where a section of gun ports would go, the player would NOT be able to place gunports in that location. The storage hold would feature a cosmetic look of wooden crates, bags, and treasure chests.
  •  VARIOUS COSMETIC STYLES OF THESE COMPONENTS COULD BE SOLD FOR GOLD IN THE FREEPORTS.

That's one part of the ideas. Tell me what you think below! Cheers!

• Like 3

The cages for the tames are a pretty nice idea and you are not the first one who came out with it.

The hammock is a missing thing too. Wants to feel like Terence Hill, when I get a rest.

All of the other things u can build yourself or nearly like u described it here.

3 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

The cages for the tames are a pretty nice idea and you are not the first one who came out with it.

The hammock is a missing thing too. Wants to feel like Terence Hill, when I get a rest.

All of the other things u can build yourself or nearly like u described it here.

Pretty much this, our exploration galleon (PvE) is retro fit almost to the OPs specification 🙂🙂

(not designed to engage and fight)

I'd like an A-B toggle as well.  Position A would be all crew on deck (so to speak, with each crew member assigned to a station, eg sail), and a position B where crew can gather when not sailing, so they can perform their regular ship maintenance duties.  Bit of a chore unseating crew every time you haul up somewhere, before seating them again all to set sail.  Position A / B toggle for the QOL win.

3 hours ago, Vorxius said:

Pretty much this, our exploration galleon (PvE) is retro fit almost to the OPs specification 🙂🙂

(not designed to engage and fight)

I'd like an A-B toggle as well.  Position A would be all crew on deck (so to speak, with each crew member assigned to a station, eg sail), and a position B where crew can gather when not sailing, so they can perform their regular ship maintenance duties.  Bit of a chore unseating crew every time you haul up somewhere, before seating them again all to set sail.  Position A / B toggle for the QOL win.

So if you hold down N before you anchor I do believe this only works for on cannons or weapons it pulls them off the cannons  and once you anchor they are sweeping away also you can set your in tame groups to actually switch them around the ship suggests reading into it 

• Thanks 1

The animal stalls are needed.

We lost a vital animal last night when it *vanished* mid transport across the ocean. 

The stall could make it so the NPC's are fixed and won't fall off, and maybe reduce weight on the animal as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dulu said:

The animal stalls are needed.

We lost a vital animal last night when it *vanished* mid transport across the ocean. 

The stall could make it so the NPC's are fixed and won't fall off, and maybe reduce weight on the animal as well.

Yeah I have found this, in fact it happens to players to.  When the boat is moving, sometimes you'll 'float' above deck by an in game millimeter or so...  this causes you to unlatch from the boat asset, and you'll effectively phase in place, and the boat continues moving, and you pass through walls until the boat is gone and you drop into the ocean.  Human players it's not so critical for, because you can yell and scream at the captain, and he'll haul up and wail MAN OVERBOARD, and hopefully if there's no conspiracy, will come rescue you.   If you're solo, the boat will automatically stop for you.

Animals on the other hand can't so once your rhino or bear or whatever starts this 'phasing' thing, they're gone, and if below deck, you're none the wiser until you reach your destination 7 grids later, and realise it's not there, not knowing where the thing fell off.  There was an earlier post about someone randomly coming across a tame that was just in the middle of the ocean!

But a lot of text to say that, yep I agree, a holding pen, or something that effectively makes the caged tame part of the boat asset, would solve this.  We have never had this issue when anchored or not moving.

2 hours ago, Fafnir said:

So if you hold down N before you anchor I do believe this only works for on cannons or weapons it pulls them off the cannons  and once you anchor they are sweeping away also you can set your in tame groups to actually switch them around the ship suggests reading into it 

That's a really good suggestion, fair enough if it only does cannons, I'll give it a try later, but if it does by any chance work for sails, I'll remember to buy you a beer at the *next* / first, atlas road show!

Cheers

Thanks for the reply guys. In terms of what I'm looking for here with the ship components would be those that snap to existing planks or ship deck. I know you can retrofit your ship 'similar' to what I have suggested, but frankly, it's not the same as what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting a galley that LOOKS like a galley and that snaps as a whole unit to the ship itself. The main component I'd REALLY like to see is the Captain's cabin one where there's a 'style' that looks historically correct, is functional, and LOOKS amazing on the ship. Currently, the Captain's cabin has no windows, you make it yourself, and there's no outfit for stern guns.

I love these ideas especially ship hammocks replacing ship beds. In addition, added cosmetics could be added to the plunder found on shipwrecks. It would give shipwrecks more viability in PVE. Great job in collecting all these ideas in one place.