Sign in to follow this  
Drako

Dyes, ships and sails [EN/ES]

Hi. I wanted to share with you my thoughts on some problems related to dyes.
And hopefully, get some response or opinion from a dev.

- Using the white coloring to "erase" the paint makes sense. But the silver and snow dyes are not visible either. It is impossible to paint a ship in white.
- The dyes should be more intense in the ship planks. They are barely visible on the lower planks.
- A resolution of 255x255 px is fine for the flag. But it is insufficient for the sails, causing you need to use images of lower quality.
- The use of 512x512 px images for larger sails, should be enough to improve the quality of the image and avoid pixelated painted sails.

I attached an image that I used in my sails so that you can see the loss of quality necessary for an image to fit inside a large sail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola. Quería compartir convosotros mis pensamientos sobre algunos problemas relacionados con los tintes.
Y con suerte, obtener alguna respuesta u opinión de un dev.

- Usar el color blanco para "borrar" la pintura tiene sentido. Pero los tintes de plata y nieve tampoco son visibles. Es imposible pintar un barco en blanco.
- Los tintes deberían ser más intensos en los tablones de la nave. Apenas son visibles en los tablones inferiores.
- Una resolución de 255x255 px está bien para la bandera. Pero no es suficiente para las velas, ya que es necesario utilizar imágenes de menor calidad.
- El uso de imágenes de 512x512 px para velas más grandes, debería ser suficiente para mejorar la calidad de la imagen y evitar las velas pintadas pixeladas.

Adjunté una imagen que usé en mis velas para que puedas ver la pérdida de calidad necesaria para que una imagen se ajuste dentro de una vela grande.

pegasus 88x95px.png

pegasus 270x291px.png

Edited by Drako
  • Thanks 1

Yes,  most dye colors on ships are very dull and faded.  would like to have stronger colors.

• Like 1

I has added some images in which you can appreciate the problem with the sails.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He añadido unas imágenes en las que se aprecia el problema con las velas.

They should add a toggle for thick or light application. That way you can have a weathered look if you want or a fresh paint look. It wouldn't be that hard to implement. Would just mean doubling the models they have. I'd rather have that than more paint colors than I know what to do with. 

Edited by Sydhart
  • Like 1

Agree, they should have two options for dye.  

1) wood stain (as it is at the moment)

2) thick opaque paint (perhaps set it to use 2x dye compared to wood stain).

I could definitely +1 this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

Someone found way to paint planks white? I mean really white, not this erase white.

Nope!   I think white is slightly lighter clear varnish in Atlas lol   😄