Sign in to follow this  
Badkebab

Has ship sinking time been accelerated?

Now admittedly I don't sink very often but last night an unfortunate combination of bad lack and poor judgement popped 3 planks off my schooner. 

I'm not given to panic so I made my way across the short deck  and was on my way down the stairs and that's all the time it took for the ship to sink. 

I couldn't remember the process being that quick it took literally seconds and I was just wondering if this process has been accelerated. 

I have skilled into the captaineering skill and have never had a problem. I don't think it has changed, atleast it's not in the patch notes.

24 minutes ago, seruum said:

atleast it's not in the patch notes.

Sadly most changes arent, especially "balance" changes.

Yesterday I faced 5 SotdS with 3 of them were above lvl-30. I was to lazy for real maneuvering so I decided to tank them. They took 3 planks from my Brig. After that I decided to finish my battle as is, and only then - went for maintenance. I spent couple of minutes with 3 planks gone and my Brig flooded by 20-30%. So... as for me, all is fine at the moment (150% sturdiness and -30% sinking time in captaining).

Edited by George Catcher

With that level of investment I would expect a long sinking time, it's been a while since I sank so I couldn't remember the ship ever sinking in the time it took to cross the deck which is too quick to do anything about the situation and what gave rise to me wondering whether or not this had been changed. 

It did also make me wonder how the game decides the sinking time. Let's say 2 players are on the ship one has no skills to delay sinking and the other has, I wonder how it determines what to apply, is it the person who is holding the wheel, is it determined by who built the ship, who released the ship. It did make me curious. 

Edited by Badkebab

12 hours ago, Badkebab said:

With that level of investment I would expect a long sinking time, it's been a while since I sank so I couldn't remember the ship ever sinking in the time it took to cross the deck which is too quick to do anything about the situation and what gave rise to me wondering whether or not this had been changed. 

It did also make me wonder how the game decides the sinking time. Let's say 2 players are on the ship one has no skills to delay sinking and the other has, I wonder how it determines what to apply, is it the person who is holding the wheel, is it determined by who built the ship, who released the ship. It did make me curious. 

This is something i ask myself. Like to know how that works.

This again goes back to me wanting the devs to release better patch notes.  How are we to properly test these things?  As it stands now we have to reverse engineer to properly test things which is a pain in the ass and very very time consuming.  Most of this testing has to be done on private servers running the latest updates so we can accelerate building ships. 

• Like 1

A Schooner sinks faster than a Brig.

3 planks missing will sink a Schooner rapidly - I believe it's considered "Critical Damage".

It requires 4 planks missing for a Brig to suffer the same rapid demise.

This is all from experience, and I too, wish there were better patch notes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

This again goes back to me wanting the devs to release better patch notes.  How are we to properly test these things?  As it stands now we have to reverse engineer to properly test things which is a pain in the ass and very very time consuming.  Most of this testing has to be done on private servers running the latest updates so we can accelerate building ships. 

It also does not help that because there are many bugs it is hard to tell what is a bug, what is intended, and what was changed. Makes testing a lot harder than it needs to be.

11 minutes ago, Dulu said:

A Schooner sinks faster than a Brig.

3 planks missing will sink a Schooner rapidly - I believe it's considered "Critical Damage".

It requires 4 planks missing for a Brig to suffer the same rapid demise.

This is all from experience, and I too, wish there were better patch notes.

I did not know this about the plank numbers, this is good to know. No where that I know of says this or explains this. Thanks for the heads up on the info.