Sign in to follow this  
asmodyus

SOTD Fleet

So this whole new SOTD fleet mechanic, in my opinion, is one of the worst ideas by the devs. They're too powerful for solo play or small corp, lost a schooner right on border transition spawned right into them and I could not get away from the SOTD gally and sunk me.  This is the 2nd ship that I lost because they are just too powerful and there nothing I can really do but roll the dice that I don't spawn on top of them in the border transition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, asmodyus said:

So this whole new SOTD fleet mechanic, in my opinion, is one of the worst ideas by the devs. They're too powerful for solo play or small corp, lost a schooner right on border transition spawned right into them and I could not get away from the SOTD gally and sunk me.  This is the 2nd ship that I lost because they are just too powerful and there nothing I can really do but roll the dice that I don't spawn on top of them in the border transition.

I solo them with a schooner, why shouldn't small company be able to kill them?

I just ram them with my Galleon at 15 kts if they get in my way.  Hilarious how the little schooner types respond like a heavy 16 ball smashing through those 10 pins.

Rammed one last night it didn't get a shot off, just sat there in confused shock whilst the crew peeled themselves of the walls...

• Haha 1

Got like 100 of them already by just solo Brig with 6 gunport and 4 x-tra guns on deck. No louvers. No shotguns. No kiting tactics. Just regular boardside fight.  Highest one so far was Galley of Damned lvl-32 IMAO - Squads made things far more interesting than before - you need to think right, to approach and engage them right etc : )

The only thing I don't really like (beside to fight schooners - they  just waste of time and cannonballs) - is DEVs dramatically decreased loot quality and amount of EXP from them. I never saw anything better than journeyman from schooners even lvl-36. This lvl-32 Galley just dropped me masterworks catapult. Before wipe even SotD lvl-26 occasionally gave me Mythic BPs. And EXP... well After I got this huge fleet of lvl-32 Galley, lvl-36 brig, lvl-23 brig and lvl-36 schooner I just got around 5% of lvl exp... : (

And yeah... this morning I saw this : )) Took them all. Pretty routine fight it was actually : ))

x7mJWr2.jpg

Edited by George Catcher

There should be more sotds in golden Age tho. But i agree that those Fleets are managable even as solo player. Crew cost Nothing And even a galleon is Build in a few hours as solo player. U can even solo kraken 1.0. just Need to try 2.0 still ^^ 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zottel said:

There should be more sotds in golden Age tho. But i agree that those Fleets are managable even as solo player. Crew cost Nothing And even a galleon is Build in a few hours as solo player. U can even solo kraken 1.0. just Need to try 2.0 still ^^ 

i would like to see u solo the kraken without any form for bug use lol..

26 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

The only thing I don't really like (beside to fight schooners - they  just waste of time and cannonballs) - is DEVs dramatically decreased loot quality and amount of EXP from them. I never saw anything better than journeyman from schooners even lvl-36. This lvl-32 Galley just dropped me masterworks catapult. Before wipe even SotD lvl-26 occasionally gave me Mythic BPs. And EXP... well After I got this huge fleet of lvl-32 Galley, lvl-36 brig, lvl-23 brig and lvl-36 schooner I just got around 5% of lvl exp... : (

With the quest to kill a SotD that is level 50. I'm assuming that you need to kill ships that are probably level 40+ to get consistent legendary and mythic BPs now. I haven't seen one yet, but haven't aggressively looked yet.

Did try to do a quality 29 treasure map yesterday and we got destroyed. Absolutely was not prepared to handle a ~12-15 unit spawn with them all being level 118...

With the quest to kill a SotD that is level 50. I'm assuming that you need to kill ships that are probably level 40+ to get consistent legendary and mythic BPs now.

Yeah. Im on my way there. All high lvl SotD's are in Golden Age so I guess DEVs idea was so we head there for high quality blueprints. I'll try them out after I get my +2 lvl and finally finish my captaining skills with this overdrive skill which will help me a lot : )

Did try to do a quality 29 treasure map yesterday and we got destroyed. Absolutely was not prepared to handle a ~12-15 unit spawn with them all being level 118...

Some say - elephants are the way to do it. Or you bring 2-3 bears with you. One you ride, 2 just supports you : )

I agree the mechanic is fine, solo fleets in my brig as well. Sounds like op was a player who doesn't want to adjust play style to meet the new challenge. I always got zone borders at a sharp angle to minimize how far into the zone I sail before I quit lagging, then if I find myself in a bad spot I'm still right on border

Sounds like bad luck by the OP, but I've been there. I always zone at oblique angles now so that I can quickly exit if I am faced with a whale or a fleet at pointblank.

I wouldn't mind if they added a little tweak to the AI so that it tends to path away from the zone border if it is within firing range of it and doesn't have aggro on anything. In the current form, it feels a bit like a player exploiting zoning mechanics, kind of like gate camping in EVE.

When I am transiting and I see a group close to the border, I will frequently do an aggro flyby to pull them away a bit. I like to think I've saved a ramshackle or two from certain death, but I'll never know.

I've zoned into SoTD and always got away.  Never sunk by one.  New fleets are annoying sometimes, but doable solo as people do it all day long every day.

Edited by DocHolliday

I think they need to go harder on the fleet mechanic. So far it's pretty great and I like that the battles are more interesting but I'd like to see them using some new tactics as opposed to right now, they're more of a nuisance as they essentially just all sail directly towards you at once. If they had some advanced tactics to try and fake out or trap the player, that would be exciting.

Okay well, I stand corrected than maybe it is me. It seemed by the time I zoned in I was taking full hits from the entire fleet and could not escape before they took out my whole backside of planks I guess just had bad luck then. I have only dealt with them a couple of times and both times it was disastrous.

Edited by asmodyus

6 ship cannons a side with reload skills for crew from captineering line, on a brig, does not take long

59 minutes ago, asmodyus said:

Okay well, I stand corrected than maybe it is me. It seemed by the time I zoned in I was taking full hits from the entire fleet and could not escape before they took out my whole backside of planks I guess just had bad luck then. I have only dealt with them a couple of times and both times it was disastrous.

have your sails part way down when crossing as soon as you cross the line press the W key, to open your sails, even tho your still loading, the sails will open and your speed increase will make it so less cannon balls from the sotds will hit you, on a schooner run 1 large speed sail, with a small speed or handling sail and you can avoid all fire  with sails open :), I had just a common build schooner on a private server with mods going(for sextant buff that's perm) and I was doing 17 knots

8 hours ago, George Catcher said:

Some say - elephants are the way to do it. Or you bring 2-3 bears with you. One you ride, 2 just supports you : )

Day 2, went back to a swivel cannon bear setup that we used pre-wipe. Cleared entire spawn <10 grape shots. Incredibly efficient and quick, need 2 players tho.

Just killed a lvl 56 galleon of the damned, lost 1 plank but otherwise not too hard, all regular materials used on a brig. loot quality was horrible though, 1 materwork bp and 1 legendary, 0 mythics

• Like 1

My only problem with this fleet mechanic is picking up the loot afterwards.

• Like 1

Reminds me of many months ago when i wasn't so used to sotd.

Sailing along on schooner and noticed sotd only for game to crash. Frantically trying to log in and took ages.

I finally logged in 2 or 3 mins later to find myself up against 2 sotd. I quickly turn sail and sail away but the wheel smashes and that was the end.

I certainly learned my lesson back then of carrying spare wheel and planks lol.

My only problem with this fleet mechanic is picking up the loot afterwards.

You can destroy it as regular flotsam by the way : )) Just accidentally sail over it, and it's gone : ) Jeez DEVs should changes alot related to SotD loot! : )

yeah, on my battle brig i carry 6 planks and 6 gunports just in case lol

It's rule N1 actually : )) Extra steering wheel would be nice (I once lost one) And right now I'm thinking about x-tra sail, because I already twice returned to base by just 2 sails : )) (Once, btw, my neighbors were departured from their island and kite away all damned ships so I could get home safe) : )

Edited by George Catcher

They are not too powerful, if you lost two ships to them you are doing it wrong.