Sign in to follow this  
uli

And it starts

Larger point island, been good so far, then a new player arrives, as noone claimed the island this player has started to build giant walls from the beach front to the nearest cliff and Into the water effectively blocking land travel on tames past his base and up to the metal nodes 

I know in ark that if players blocked areas so you couldn't walk land creatures past they dealt with the offensive players, what is their policy on this,?

And well done devs no claims equals players doing this to stop others building or accessing areas, glad u made this fantastic claim system that no one asked for or wanted 

Problem..is now I have to spam foundations away from my base to stop this player from building right on Top of me so this makes me as bad as him, 

Edited by uli
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pve  😢

This all sprung up yesterday I logged in yesterday evening to see the foundations down 

The actual phrase is, "so it begins" .... not "and it starts," c'mon now.

• Haha 1

And this answers the question why have an island claim in pve. For every decent player just doing thier thing, there is a douche just more then happy to ruin your day. It's MMO 101

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uli said:

Larger point island, been good so far, then a new player arrives, as noone claimed the island this player has started to build giant walls from the beach front to the nearest cliff and Into the water effectively blocking land travel on tames past his base and up to the metal nodes 

I know in ark that if players blocked areas so you couldn't walk land creatures past they dealt with the offensive players, what is their policy on this,?

And well done devs no claims equals players doing this to stop others building or accessing areas, glad u made this fantastic claim system that no one asked for or wanted 

Problem..is now I have to spam foundations away from my base to stop this player from building right on Top of me so this makes me as bad as him, 

EU-PvE M11?

• Like 2

Claiming and destroying doesnt work, i claimed island and i coudlnt destroy other buildings.

Claim it, destroy his stuff, then drop the claim?

Edited by Cascco

32 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

And this answers the question why have an island claim in pve. For every decent player just doing thier thing, there is a douche just more then happy to ruin your day. It's MMO 101

exactly i have posted many times the system they designed is great for pvp , but the old claim with limits needs to come back for pve , 

23 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

EU-PvE M11?

u have similar issues ? showing again why the system isnt good for pve 

Edited by UDO

29 minutes ago, Cascco said:

Claiming and destroying doesnt work, i claimed island and i coudlnt destroy other buildings.

It has to be within 24 hours.

It has to be within 24 hours.

Yes i know and still i was not able to destroy/demolish other structures. Do i had to put flag near other buildings ? It was unclaimed island.

just change "large wall/gate" to place on claimed island only. That surely won't backfire at all!

6 hours ago, UDO said:

exactly i have posted many times the system they designed is great for pvp , but the old claim with limits needs to come back for pve , 

u have similar issues ? showing again why the system isnt good for pve 

If you try to limit to non-entire islands you will encounter the problems the current claim system fixes. If the new guy that came to this island were to put his limited flag where he built what would the OP be able to do? Each person is building where they want so the problem would be that the way it was changed. The actual problem is the land is not claimed so somebody isn't there to say look man you can't build in this area.

15 hours ago, uli said:

This system was requested by a lot of people. The way I look at it is you had something and then this new guy comes in and screwed up what you had. You were playing the way you wanted and then he came in and played the way he wanted and it interferes with the way you want. This is a flaw in the system though because you were built on an unclaimed island. I believe if you were on an island claimed by somebody they would be like look man don't block this and they would listen or be destroyed. The island isn't claimed though so now you are left with your problem.

~Lotus

• Like 2

which means the system is flawed , if tey had had the old claim system with LIMITS as many many many players on these forums asked for , then players wouldnt be wasting their flags blocking of areas they dont need , so it would be a non issue , as player wouldnt go around wasting their limited flags

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

This system was requested by a lot of people.

it wasnt ,there was an unnoficial -poll about this very thing and it was shown limited flags was the option players wanted 

Edited by UDO

7 hours ago, UDO said:

which means the system is flawed , if tey had had the old claim system with LIMITS as many many many players on these forums asked for , then players wouldnt be wasting their flags blocking of areas they dont need , so it would be a non issue , as player wouldnt go around wasting their limited flags

it wasnt ,there was an unnoficial -poll about this very thing and it was shown limited flags was the option players wanted 

If Uli had his flag down and the new player put his flag down where he built how does limiting change what happened?

The limited flag system has way to many flaws to be viable.

I am curious about what poll you are talking about. I remember there was a biased pole that used manipulation to make limited claim flags seem like it was the right thing to do. I think they should make a limited claim server and a whole island claim server instead of this NA/EU thing.

~Lotus

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

If Uli had his flag down and the new player put his flag down where he built how does limiting change what happened?

The limited flag system has way to many flaws to be viable.

I am curious about what poll you are talking about. I remember there was a biased pole that used manipulation to make limited claim flags seem like it was the right thing to do. I think they should make a limited claim server and a whole island claim server instead of this NA/EU thing.

~Lotus

the other players would not have wasted their limited  flags to build a wall from the beach and right up to the nearest cliff with a 500 meter wall ?

the limits would stop players players doing this to a degree , they either waste their flags to be assholes and block off areas or they use them wisely and have various outposts across the maps

Edited by UDO

1 hour ago, UDO said:

the other players would not have wasted their limited  flags to build a wall from the beach and right up to the nearest cliff with a 500 meter wall ?

the limits would stop players players doing this to a degree , they either waste their flags to be assholes and block off areas or they use them wisely and have various outposts across the maps

Or admins can just come and take a look and see if it's against the rules and deal with it.

51 minutes ago, UDO said:

I wonder how big this wall is.

If somebody flags and blocks the metal then people won't want to live on the island. Uli is the example of this happening now that the metal is not accessible he can't do much. This was one of the examples I pointed out as to why limiting flags won't work. The other problems are what happens to mergers? When people quit the game? When people leave the company? When companies grow and need more space?

The single island claim works it's not perfect but it does work. They need to make it so companies have a higher upkeep and a better discount for having more people living on the land. They can pick to have company only, allies, or everybody. This makes it so you don't need to go knock down traps every single day. It also makes it so the people that want to build somewhere the land owner will want to have them live there. Currently I see that some companies have an extra 30ish points and picked up a 30 point island which isn't right for the smaller tribes if they made the upkeep more for having multiple islands they would free those up.

~Lotus

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lotus said:

The single island claim works it's not perfect but it does work. They need to make it so companies have a higher upkeep and a better discount for having more people living on the land. They can pick to have company only, allies, or everybody. This makes it so you don't need to go knock down traps every single day. It also makes it so the people that want to build somewhere the land owner will want to have them live there. Currently I see that some companies have an extra 30ish points and picked up a 30 point island which isn't right for the smaller tribes if they made the upkeep more for having multiple islands they would free those up.

~Lotus

And if you change the flags to those parameters. Nearly ever land owner will put it to company only or allies. Shortage of land yet again if population picks up. 

I honestly feel the current claim system has hurt the population. Huge drop in numbers after the wipe. When people seen the claim system they implemented in the patch notes for PTR. Most people hung up the game at that point.

Now I made the choice to live in lawless after testing the system in PTR. However I often wonder on settlements-Can anyone demo abandoned stuff or just the claim owner like it was when we had flags everywhere? If just the claim owner can demo items on the settlement after the 10 days. That I see as a huge problem. I've seen too many lazy landowners even before the wipe. 

I also feel as a pirate game. You should be able to "raid" peoples abandoned stuff. I think if they added that in. People would be more inclined to clean the map up instead of just leaving crap everywhere. I'd also like to see some auto decay/vanishing items. I see signs, newbie huts, and  peoples locked animal traps everywhere. Settlements/lawless/golden age ruins.

They put the system in where flags require upkeep to stay functional. I get how the colonies system works great for PVP. I'm not sure its the best fit for PVE. I also understand how running 2 different systems would be a huge headache for the devs/programmers.

Really  i'd love to see them do the single claim flag per person with upkeep involved or go to the original system they thought of -upkeep on structures. Anything more then one flag per person I think they'll run into problems like they did before. Get rid of the lawless islands altogether. 

It's honestly kinda sad sailing through a lot of grids and being the only person in there. Yes there is land to go around but also seen foundation spam in mass quantity on all types of islands. Hell ive even seen settlement owners spam their own islands to keep people from living there. Gold isn't hard to come by. Hell I made a ton with a lvl 8 bear or even flotsam crates.

They already essentially did away with the resource taxes and turned the whole map into lawless. I mean really there isn't much difference between settlement/lawless anymore. One person has to babysit. The other just lives on an island.

55 minutes ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

And if you change the flags to those parameters. Nearly ever land owner will put it to company only or allies. Shortage of land yet again if population picks up. 

I honestly feel the current claim system has hurt the population. Huge drop in numbers after the wipe. When people seen the claim system they implemented in the patch notes for PTR. Most people hung up the game at that point.

Now I made the choice to live in lawless after testing the system in PTR. However I often wonder on settlements-Can anyone demo abandoned stuff or just the claim owner like it was when we had flags everywhere? If just the claim owner can demo items on the settlement after the 10 days. That I see as a huge problem. I've seen too many lazy landowners even before the wipe. 

I also feel as a pirate game. You should be able to "raid" peoples abandoned stuff. I think if they added that in. People would be more inclined to clean the map up instead of just leaving crap everywhere. I'd also like to see some auto decay/vanishing items. I see signs, newbie huts, and  peoples locked animal traps everywhere. Settlements/lawless/golden age ruins.

They put the system in where flags require upkeep to stay functional. I get how the colonies system works great for PVP. I'm not sure its the best fit for PVE. I also understand how running 2 different systems would be a huge headache for the devs/programmers.

Really  i'd love to see them do the single claim flag per person with upkeep involved or go to the original system they thought of -upkeep on structures. Anything more then one flag per person I think they'll run into problems like they did before. Get rid of the lawless islands altogether. 

It's honestly kinda sad sailing through a lot of grids and being the only person in there. Yes there is land to go around but also seen foundation spam in mass quantity on all types of islands. Hell ive even seen settlement owners spam their own islands to keep people from living there. Gold isn't hard to come by. Hell I made a ton with a lvl 8 bear or even flotsam crates.

They already essentially did away with the resource taxes and turned the whole map into lawless. I mean really there isn't much difference between settlement/lawless anymore. One person has to babysit. The other just lives on an island.

A land owner should get to choose who can and can't build on their land. If they don't want people on their island that is their choice.

I don't know if you are aware of the bug that even the land owners could not delete stuff from their land before the wipe. It would run out of upkeep say you can demo it when you do the pinwheel nothing would happen.

Raiding player stuff is a PvP concept IMO. PvE was set up so people could be away for X amount of time and their stuff be safe currently 10 days at the peak of horribleness it was 21 days. PvE is about everybody working together imo.

For 1 flag per person lets say you have 5 people in your tribe and somebody leaves taking their flag with them now you have a claim in the middle of your base how do you remedy that? This is one of the questions that the devs did not have a win/win answer for that worked for everybody so until a good answer is made the 1 flag per person will probably never happen. The other problems I already posted this but basically you just take the metal and you will have the whole island to yourself.

There was a land shortage because there was no penalty to having land. So you could take all you could and have no penalty for it. Upkeep changes that because holding land now costs money. To me not enough money though.

My idea was the island should cost 20x the point value in gold a day if you have 1 island then 30x gold for 2 islands 40x for 3 islands. This would make it so if people want multiple islands they are going to have to change their budget. Each settler would be worth a point discount saving the owner gold for having more people.

The claims need a way to evict people because we claimed an island early on but somebody had pillar spammed it so we could not get them off once we claimed it. I pulled the flag but it was kinda stupid.

~Lotus

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

They need to make it so companies have a higher upkeep and a better discount for having more people living on the land. They can pick to have company only, allies, or everybody. This makes it so you don't need to go knock down traps every single day.

I completely agree with you that the new claim system works, and that settlers should have a more substantial impact on the upkeep.  The increase of the upkeep, I'd debate on some points though.

I think it's too cheap, but I don't want to raise it because then it's a bit unfair to the landowner that WANTs settlers but has an island with poor resources or topography that no one wants to settle on.

Settlers should have to declare 1-2 islands as "Home" so that basic resource outposts and visitors don't play ping-pong with the settler numbers.

Lastly, in PvE the owner should have some way to destroy structures after the 24 hour period but not without any warning and not by waiting 10 days on a timer that can be refreshed in  the last hour by someone just passing by.

1 minute ago, CoopedUp said:

I completely agree with you that the new claim system works, and that settlers should have a more substantial impact on the upkeep.  The increase of the upkeep, I'd debate on some points though.

I think it's too cheap, but I don't want to raise it because then it's a bit unfair to the landowner that WANTs settlers but has an island with poor resources or topography that no one wants to settle on.

Settlers should have to declare 1-2 islands as "Home" so that basic resource outposts and visitors don't play ping-pong with the settler numbers.

Lastly, in PvE the owner should have some way to destroy structures after the 24 hour period but not without any warning and not by waiting 10 days on a timer that can be refreshed in  the last hour by someone just passing by.

I agree with the declare home. So if you have a bed I think you should be able to declare home server and that becomes what the owner see's as a settler.

For owner destroy they should have it set to allies only and if you want them out you unally them and a few days later you can demo their stuff this makes it so people don't just get knifed over night and have some kind of warning and vacate the area time. People can seem chill for the first 24 hours then start spouting racist stuff or whatever and then you can't get rid of them. (Which happened to us). Lotus land has 2 rules don't be toxic and don't build on resources. Same as the tribe 😛

As for islands with resources every island should have wood, thatch, fiber, metal as the islands get bigger and the price increases they should start having saps, crystyals, gems, and even bigger have more types of the resource. This would do 2 things it would make it so big tribes don't need to take multiple small islands which would help the smaller tribes get the little islands they should have. It will also make it so there's no islands that I consider unplayable like that 150 point pile of trash that has no real value.

~Lotus

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lotus said:

For owner destroy they should have it set to allies only and if you want them out you unally them and a few days later you can demo their stuff this makes it so people don't just get knifed over night and have some kind of warning and vacate the area time.

Yeah, a timed eviction system would be nice but I think it should work in the reverse some too.  So when you first sail to an island you can build a thatch hut or get started on a base, but if after 48 hours you haven't joined the island alliance then all your structures auto-demolish.

That way the island owner doesn't have to patrol and demolish abandoned traps, discovery point beds, or leftovers from resource farmers ... And new settlers aren't restricted to waiting till the island owner acknowledges them before they can build.

Because sometimes the owners and settlers have two completely different playtime schedules.

2 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

Yeah, a timed eviction system would be nice but I think it should work in the reverse some too.  So when you first sail to an island you can build a thatch hut or get started on a base, but if after 48 hours you haven't joined the island alliance then all your structures auto-demolish.

That way the island owner doesn't have to patrol and demolish abandoned traps, discovery point beds, or leftovers from resource farmers ... And new settlers aren't restricted to waiting till the island owner acknowledges them before they can build.

Because sometimes the owners and settlers have two completely different playtime schedules.

The problem without being able to bar people out is that people can just grief. You can knock it down but they just put it back up. You don't need the owner to be allied though you can just have an officer invite you in. They need to remove alliance limits though cause they are stupid for PvE.

~Lotus

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lotus said:

You don't need the owner to be allied though you can just have an officer invite you in.

Even if an officer can let them in, there is no guarantee that and officer will be online.  My Company is 11 people with 5 of them being officers, but even with half of us being EST and half being PST we never really see our EU or Australian neighbors.

With an auto-demolish system, the owner won't need to knock it down.  After 2-days ALL structures would disappear, not just the bit placed down 2-days previous.  Could even have a cooldown that after that 2-day period the Company can't build on the island again for 10-days OR they join the alliance.

What they need to do is make a hybrid limited claim / hex grid system.

Go through each island and create a hex grid overlay of the land.  Allow companies to claim a hex grid region, but limit the amount of claims they can have.  No need for upkeep, just limit the number of claims.   Make sure that certain hex grids are not claimable to preserve key resources (i.e. metal nodes, etc.) from being blocked in.  

• Like 2