Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Death should not be a desirable mechanic

Lets face it, once you have a bed down, death becomes a easy way to refill food and water and vitamins.

Death shouldnt ever be a desirable mechanic.  It doesnt necessarily have to be super harsh, but you should never want to use it for easy transport or easy food/water.

(Making cooking kinda pointless)

• Like 4

Problem is the depletion rate of everything is too much right now that if you do try and keep everything satisfied you would get almost nothing else done.

I've made at least one suggestion regarding death: 

You should be able to bury stashes (chests or Arks) of loot and if you die, people can loot your body for the map. Making death less desirable but also not an outright loss. 

I agree entirely though, death should never just be a tool to quick travel or refill your hunger/thirst + free meat. I might have some suggestions on it later. But to make survival more possible/practical: 

* We need water barrels that can be filled and moved to provide longterm and high amounts of drinking water storage.

* Need passive means of developing drinking water, boiling it for a quick method and drip-tarps for a very slow, passive method barely enough for one to survive on

* Need nutrient "packages" IE crafting all the nutrients into a single consumable. Grog for instance combining fruits and liquor to make a non-spoiling nutritional drink.

• Like 1

I've always seen this as an issue in ARK, more so in ATLAS. Still of the mind that dying should take XP from progression to the next level. Not much but enough to care.

I think it should steal 50% of the XP you’ve acquired towards your next level-up.

And honestly, even with no skills in Vitamin management I find it very easy to stay balanced and keep my hunger up. Water is more difficult for me. 😛

15 minutes ago, MagpieOAO said:

You should be able to bury stashes (chests or Arks) of loot and if you die, people can loot your body for the map. Making death less desirable but also not an outright loss. 

I agree entirely though, death should never just be a tool to quick travel or refill your hunger/thirst + free meat. I might have some suggestions on it later. But to make survival more possible/practical: 

* We need water barrels that can be filled and moved to provide longterm and high amounts of drinking water storage.

* Need passive means of developing drinking water, boiling it for a quick method and drip-tarps for a very slow, passive method barely enough for one to survive on

* Need nutrient "packages" IE crafting all the nutrients into a single consumable. Grog for instance combining fruits and liquor to make a non-spoiling nutritional drink.

There are already water barrels to fill.

The digging mechanic works well, you get about 60 units if dug by hand, 500 units if dug by shovel.

Grog exists, as do more advanced foods

The issue is people want everything to be easy at base sklills no effort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, archaegeo said:

There are already water barrels to fill.

The digging mechanic works well, you get about 60 units if dug by hand, 500 units if dug by shovel.

Grog exists, as do more advanced foods

The issue is people want everything to be easy at base sklills no effort.

Fair point. I think then the ports should have an NPC trader that gives players a means of buying basic provisions so they can get their no-skill in. It's still ultimately better to be able to craft it your self and best to have an org with specialized crafters specced into trees, trading items you need. 

But at least that way you might be able to stop some complaints.

For you guys it sounds always so easy typing that crap here in chat. Many are prolly Ark players...even though Atlas has many features Ark  didnt had or the other way around....

But here i just read ...you can do this...you must do that...decrease that blabla.

But no one really seems to think of players who are completly new to a game like Atlas...never played ARK before and stuff.

You get thrown into the game after creating your Char without any help or little tutorial which also explains the nutriation bars or where to get some water like "Hit X, left click on moist ground and solve the minigame"

And often ppl in chat arent helpful with making dumb jokes. Same as Fishing. Yeah its easy to make a rod or even find Saps but the game doesnt tell you..."Hey guess what..you need also a wooden chair"

And talking about Advanced food...sure you can do that..you can also preservate the food...but the ingredients for those arent that easy to find ...think you need to travel to different bioms finding them or at least some of the seeds.

• Like 1

I dont care if you are brand new or 2k hours in Ark, death should never be a reward.

Right now if you are starving, just die, dehydrated, just die, low on vitamins, just die....there is no deterrent unless you dont have a bed nearby.

• Like 2

Just now, archaegeo said:

I dont care if you are brand new or 2k hours in Ark, death should never be a reward.

Right now if you are starving, just die, dehydrated, just die, low on vitamins, just die....there is no deterrent unless you dont have a bed nearby.

Agreed, it needs to be looked at but I don’t think it’s on the top of their list right now. 

59 minutes ago, Blackstone30 said:

But no one really seems to think of players who are completly new to a game like Atlas...never played ARK before and stuff.

You get thrown into the game after creating your Char without any help or little tutorial which also explains the nutriation bars or where to get some water like "Hit X, left click on moist ground and solve the minigame"

And often ppl in chat arent helpful with making dumb jokes. Same as Fishing. Yeah its easy to make a rod or even find Saps but the game doesnt tell you..."Hey guess what..you need also a wooden chair"

And talking about Advanced food...sure you can do that..you can also preservate the food...but the ingredients for those arent that easy to find ...think you need to travel to different bioms finding them or at least some of the seeds.

Good points. Most people here have probably played Ark, have at least something of an idea of how to play. But Atlas doesn't explain much, especially to new players...I got an idea for a suggestion though in that regard. 

Added to my topic on the suggestion of Free Ports Towns and NPC orgs.

Effectively, your next mission after the suggestion for gathering supplies and leaving the Island, is to head to one of three major cities, at which you won't want for food, water or nutrition as long as you have money, and you can earn money by trading with the NPC's and doing "quests" in some form. The "quests' of which will function as a tutorial ingame, at your pace. 

EX: A guard will let you in if you get some water to trade. Go digging in the sand over there, here's how. 

I agree, but keep in mind that most players are low lvl.

When you play in a group ( what the game is intended for)

You can get someone to specialize in cooking. And then you can replenish the vitamins rates pretty good.

You can also put skill points into vitamin deplenishment skills, but no, noone wants to do that either, they just want pew pew pew improvement skills, heaven forbid balancing your character to survive.

1 hour ago, Blackstone30 said:

For you guys it sounds always so easy typing that crap here in chat. Many are prolly Ark players...even though Atlas has many features Ark  didnt had or the other way around....

But here i just read ...you can do this...you must do that...decrease that blabla.

wait.... i need a wooden chair?   whats the chair do?

I'm just gonna bump this by emphasizing there is now even more incentive to just die: - Equilibrium Buff now gives +20% XP, -20% reduced incoming damage, +30 temperature fortitude, +10% movement speed, +20% melee damage, and takes 30 minutes to achieve rather than an hour. 

22 hours ago, MagpieOAO said:

u can place stone reservoirs , they PASSIVELY fill over time , 

• Like 1

But Udo, you cant do that instantly at level 1 and have unlimited water!!! </sarcasm>

4 minutes ago, UDO said:

u can place stone reservoirs , they PASSIVELY fill over time , 

Problem is, the current systems in place are trash. You cannot balance eating with vitamin levels, it's just not balanced at all.

What normally happens is you're either starving to death but all of your vitamin bars are full. So if you don't eat, you die, but if you do eat, you also die. Or the opposite happens, where your hunger bar is full, but your vitamin bars are empty. So again, if you don't eat you will die, but if you eat you will also start dying.

The second problem with the hunger system is how rapidly it depletes and how little food gives back to it. Your hunger bar empties in minutes, especially if you're doing anything. But if you kill and butcher an animal, then cook all 20+ of it's meat, this doesn't even fill you up fully (and you'll overdose on pink vitamins and die anyway). Being cold makes it even worse, one time I was only slightly cold but losing well over 1 hunger per second. I was ramming meat and berries into my mouth but was starving to death faster than I could eat, and this was on a freeport starter island!

Don't even get me started on how fast food decays meaning you can't even stockpile it. What a horrible system.

Given all of this, drowning yourself is just the quicker and easier option. It's way too tedious to try and micromanage this system because it's just broken.

• Like 1