Huck Finnley

Island point system

Any chance devs gonna look at the claim system for adjustments. I've noticed almost all islands that can be claimed by a 4-5 man crew are claimed on NA PVE. Last I checked maybe 8 polar islands still available for 35 points. Most of the larger islands have gone unclaimed.

It seems grapeshot is focused on trying to force pve players into mega companies no matter how much the player base resists. And alot of the larger companies seem to prefer to  have multiple small islands over 1 large for a larger pool of resources.

Seems we need more smaller islands and possibly an adjustment of current point costs for some islands to get more into play

I’ve noticed this too, many unclaimed larger islands. However, all the small islands were all snatched up in the first 24 hours. I think this tells you how few larger companies exist compared to small groups and solos. I am not sure if the large groups actually committed to claiming several small islands like you suggest, but it is possible. 

I will say that I don’t remember the point system being added until after the PTR. On the PTR you could claim any island you wanted as long as you could afford the upkeep, company size didn’t matter. 

Not sure if it’s really all that necessary. I mean if you want to restrict solos from claiming large islands, wouldn’t you also want to prevent large companies from taking “solo” islands. The system completely ignores that. I think that a stout upkeep cost is really all you need. If you can afford, say, 1200g per day to upkeep an island does it really matter if you are solo or not? 

If you do really want to keep the system maybe it needs some tweaking like... at a certain company size you have a range, for example your 12 person company can claim an island in the 35-90 range. You address both ends of the spectrum this way. 40 player company can claim in the 60-150 range, etc. 

Edited by Meerkat
  • Like 1

I quite agree this system must still be a work in progress, some large islands that have a high point cost and a very high upkeep cost are absolute trash when it comes to resources 

Plenty of metal for example but it's a metal that alloys with gems and there are no gem spawns. The same island had no salt no crystal. So the game expects you to pay over the odds for dirt. 

This leads me to the conclusion that the upkeep cost is based entirely on land area and has no relationship to what resources are available. So the system is definitely in need of refining as the upkeep cost and point cost bears no relationship to how valuable the land actually is. If you apply the atlas upkeep system to real world real estate the Sahara desert would be high upkeep and Manhattan would cost next to nothing.

No one is going to pay an arm and a leg every 12 hours for an island without significant strategic value in terms of resources. 

The islands that went in the first 24 hours were islands that had all or all but one of the valuable resources that were in close proximity to islands that had the missing resources. 

I'm not saying all resources should spawn everywhere but the upkeep cost should be representative of the strategic value of the island which in atlas is defined by resource availability and proximity to other valuable resources. It is not defined by the size of the land mass. A large land mass actually devalues an island as it is significantly more difficult to defend an island with a large land mass compared with a more compact island. 

As above , the points costs appears to be based on land area. For example, our company is an amalgamation of 4 small companies from a pre wipe alliance, took us a couple days to sort out, and we spent over a week hunting the atlas for a suitable 56 point island. 

Most of the unclaimed islands were sizeable, but lacked metal nodes or another valuable but difficult to transport resource. It was looking like a dead loss until we finally got lucky and found an unclaimed island with metal, crystal, coal, salt and honey nodes with decent wood and thatch. Only short on fibre which is easily transported en mass from our neighbours. 

We got really lucky! It’s very rocky and was likely overlooked but now we have it ramped out, it’s really good.

The point is many islands simply aren’t worth the asking price, a good example is a large 100 plus pointer near us, it will never be claimed. It’s huge, but has next to nothing on it! 

Also, I agree that the atlas needs more small islands.

5 minutes ago, TerrorTrooper said:

As above , the points costs appears to be based on land area. For example, our company is an amalgamation of 4 small companies from a pre wipe alliance, took us a couple days to sort out, and we spent over a week hunting the atlas for a suitable 56 point island. 

Most of the unclaimed islands were sizeable, but lacked metal nodes or another valuable but difficult to transport resource. It was looking like a dead loss until we finally got lucky and found an unclaimed island with metal, crystal, coal, salt and honey nodes with decent wood and thatch. Only short on fibre which is easily transported en mass from our neighbours. 

We got really lucky! It’s very rocky and was likely overlooked but now we have it ramped out, it’s really good.

The point is many islands simply aren’t worth the asking price, a good example is a large 100 plus pointer near us, it will never be claimed. It’s huge, but has next to nothing on it! 

Also, I agree that the atlas needs more small islands.

That sounds suspiciously like the island we picked but found we could not afford, would that be Shipwreck island?

Edited by Jack Shandy

1 hour ago, Jack Shandy said:

That sounds suspiciously like the island we picked but found we could not afford, would that be Shipwreck island?

EU PVE in i11 western most island in the middle

ironically, we were beaten to our first choice in O3 by a mere 6 minutes on the claim timer.

Edited by TerrorTrooper

1 hour ago, Willard said:

Why do you need your own island on PvE? You pay no taxes.

but you recieve them if you do!

2 hours ago, TerrorTrooper said:

EU PVE in i11 western most island in the middle

ironically, we were beaten to our first choice in O3 by a mere 6 minutes on the claim timer.

You can forgive the confusion - look at the eastern most island in I5 🙂

33 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

but you recieve them if you do!

You can forgive the confusion - look at the eastern most island in I5 🙂

Ye you receive taxes but you need to pay upkeep. It has pros and cons. If I would play in a small tribe on PvE I would play as a settler. No need to farm golds for upkeep is a great benefit. Let owner have some bonus resources from me 😉

I came up with a good solution to this. Its about incentive. Bigger companies need bigger incentives or else why not just stack up small but good islands?

To sum it up and keep it short. You need "alpha" islands, which can generate tax from a set amout nearby islands. To supliment the normal islands that only pull tax from that island. The alpha, or capitol island would be harder to take but greater reward. Incentive for bu3gger companies to fight each other and let smaller companies fight over the smaller islands.

Thus far Atlas has given no reason or incentive for bigger companies to compete with each other and its a glaring hole in the game.

At least for PvE it needs a rework. Im not interested to be in a Mega Corp, most groups seem to be 2-5 people tops.

They said the more island you own the more expensive it should be.

If the fix that you'll see bigger companies moving to bigger islands.

Right now it doesn't appear NA PVE has enough megas to claim many of the big islands. I think they should take a deep look into the amount of members in companies right now and adjust the point system accordingly. Would give a fair baseline to work from.

Then maybe reduce some of the larger islands in favor of more islands types that are between the 15-37 point range atm. But make sure we still have an assortment of larger islands for the big guys. 

I'm not looking to swing in favor of any particular company size. Just streamline what we have to make the most use of the landmass ingame. I just don't see Al of those 50+ point islands getting used

• Like 1

The system does not work again.

There are 6000 of us left. Make 5-8 small islands in a cage.

Each player - 1 island. Large tribes do not take a big island, they take a lot of small ones.

You changed the radius of the buildings and I was expelled from a large island.

My neighbor and I have blocked water constructions.

I will play informal or single! Official - humiliation for small companies!

I will wait, soon it will be 4000, I can take the island. 😡

Edited by Konvar

EU-PvE seems to be pretty solid. We were NA-PvE top 10 for most of what we call season 1 😛. The thing is we built on EU and have no real reason to go back to NA. If they wipe we will go to whatever PvE server is up first prefer NA but I won't wait to play the game. Scales and Sails is over here and we ended up absorbing a lot of the active players from the other megas. So when they released NA we didn't go there and now the islands are wonky 😕.

The point system does need a significant overhaul. I don't know what determines the value of an island but it's kinda stupid to have a 100+ point island without an abundance of the basic resources. I saw a 120 island with 0 pure metal nodes like what the hell am I going to do with that? I am pretty sure they will rework the land when continents come out because if I am going to claim a massive land mass it needs to have a few biomes and 2-3 of each resources on it because I'm sure it will be all we have.

~Lotus

• Like 2

Large companies like small islands to save points for other islands.  We need easy access to all these different resources to build high end ships, weapons, armor, etc to stay gain an advantage on our foes.  Its an arms race.  A certain company who will not be named has a Mythical Brig that is faster than everything else on the server, takes very little damage and deals some pain.  Everyone else needs to level the playing field and owning more islands is one way of doing just that.

Edited by DocHolliday