Sign in to follow this  
gadefence

Speaking of unannounced changes- no more S backup?

I'm stuck in a bay with my brig. I'm REALLY happy I can't S to back up out of a little sand dip I just tried to go through.

It's filling my day with insane joy.

When was S backup sails taken away or am I on glitched land.

View under water. The ship should not touch the sand.

Stand behind the wheel. Press S immediately.

While cleans the chain should swim back!

I did it, I swam away on the third day:classic_smile:

Edited by Konvar

Backing up still works, but I've been in that position as well. It is glitched, and when that happens I find I have to wait for a storm and I can slowly back out when the waves are high (sometimes slamming into the sand bar when they go low, so be prepared for that)

Just used it yesterday, def still works. You might have a sandbar behind you.

3 hours ago, gadefence said:

I'm stuck in a bay with my brig. I'm REALLY happy I can't S to back up out of a little sand dip I just tried to go through.

It's filling my day with insane joy.

When was S backup sails taken away or am I on glitched land.

S backup is a bugged feature. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. Try to relogin and if you still can't ask other members from your company. It works for some but not others.

It's always works for me within my pier in base, but once I saw guy stucked there - he couldn't escape and "S" didn't work.

Last day I stuck in shallow "П"-like waters and my "S" didn't work as well. But I was able to escape by holding "A" and wait until my ship will slowly turns and gliding through the bottom backward a bit.

And yeah. There is also the way - you put you crew on wheel and order him to sail from the trap. Then you "fast travel" to another region and while there is no one around areas - all in game (structures forms, geometry etc) simplifies. You do some business after fast travel and then - you back and see your ship free : ))

Had the same prob some weeks ago.

What solved it for me was to unseat all the NPCs from the Sails. Sometimes it seems that the brig isnt going backwards when NPCs on sails though sails are closed.
I only experienced that problem with the brig never with another type of ship. For me it seems the brig sometimes slightly accelerates when a NPCs is seated at the sails though they are closed and it should not.

Hope it helps!!!

Try using A D wiggle the ship while using S. sometimes you can turn the ship completely around on a sand bar. Then pop full sails to get off it. 

Edited by Remo

Was stuck good with a brig I had just built last Friday.  Looking under the ship both by hitting K to view under the ship and by actually swimming under the keel the ship appeared to be off of the sand.  Not by much, but it was not graphically touching.

Reading some old threads I found a method that allowed me to eventually turn the ship 180 degrees around and sail out.

Drop the anchor, wait second, release the anchor and immediately hit S to back up or hold S and A or D to turn a little then drop anchor again.   Repeat as needed until you are out.  If you get stuck and absolutely can't turn anymore you may need to sail forward a bit, drop anchor, then try to backup and turn again.

As always have a repair hammer handy.  I managed to do only about 1,000 damage to a few planks working the ship out.

Edited by Myth

i use A and D to turn, if the ship is stuck in a corner may the above post will help (nps or anchoring and pressing S over and over again)

I spent about 40 minutes turning the ship with A and D yesterday while holding S and tapping it hoping it'd work.

The waves were towards the sand bar.

This morning, with decent wind, the waves were away from them, and I got free.

This is definitely stupid. Need a better get out of sandbar option. I even tried pushing the boat with my ele but it anchored so I have no idea if that even works.

I dont get it, I know this isn't helpful, but I almost always full sail into land while turning the ship to park faster, never been stuck, and anytime I've almost been stuck just steering the ship away from land with sails full open always works, but I read these horror stories, makes me feel like I'm really lucky. 

What it looks like to me is, the shallower the water the slower the ship moves, it doesnt stop. Opening sails fully while ship is facing land doesnt crash it, but it does allow you to turn away from land faster. Use a sextant and watch the knots when you press back. You will produce something other than 0. I've had the front and back of the ship wedged between shallows actually touching the land. Opening sails fully and turning away still worked after about 20 seconds. 

Closest call was I didn't see a rock and the waves slammed my brig down on it, the brig jumped into the air, landed upside down on water, then flipped back over. Overall it took 600 dmg to two planks.. 

Maybe I am just really lucky but I feel like I couldn't crash a ship even if I tried. 

Edited by Mike L

press K -> zoom out -> view under water -> safe anchored -> profit 👍

P.S. always look at the map. there is a well marked stranded. a dark blue is a safe zone, and closer to the ground a light blue is a stranded (dangerous zone).

Edited by venomvv