Sign in to follow this  
Emanuel a

Give gold to NPC is almost a job

Having to place gold in every NPC is almost a job seriously, you need to run around all the island looking for the NPCs because the range of them getting the gold is 9 or 10 tiles, some NPC are located in difficult areas to go like cliffs and inside laberyints that you need to open a lot of doors to get inside or they mutiny. This mechanic is super grindy no fun, and no point. Yes you can place tons of gold in the chest but you risk someone taking the money after they blow up a tower. The food is another issue but I can live with that leveling only food in my NPCs ( 20 hp more would not make the difference if they are snipped with a canonball), but the gold is an issue. Especially if the tribe is small and your island is big. This will help defenders to maintain defenses and boats anchored. 

What I suggest is a system that give gold to npcs in an island owned by you. 

We will be able to do towers not that big because we dont need to place a 2x1 stone house with a chest every 9 tiles and all over the island. Which means less foundation spam and better render of the map in huge bases, also less resources of the server. And less people grifing ships anchored.

Options I propose that system would be managed by a tribe admin in the bank or the flag. Having the option to give gold to anchored boats or disable that option. Another idea is managing boats in groups where you can activate this function in only that group, in case some inactive guy in the tribe want to have a boat never use full manned. 

It would be nice if you could set different policys to NPC over a boat, NPC on the island just standing doing nothing, and NPC on managed puckles, canon or swivels on land. 

I will really appreciate if an admin at least read it an consider it. I think this will help small tribes that have a shortage of man power to defend against megas. Also another incentive of going to take an island over lawless.

Edited by Emanuel a
  • Like 1

1: Crew should eat gold from your treasure box on your island. They should also auto repair from your resources box as well, so I don't need to go hammer freaking ceiling on my ship or shore.

2: Why do you have crew in freaking caves and shit? You just like having people to high five while going by?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pope_kd said:

??

Use the ship resource box.

If on your ship, ship resource box feeds your crew gold.

IF not, you need to give them gold manually.

No they still get gold from resource box on land. I have an elevator grunt that i have never put gold in ever.

Can confirm the crew will take gold from resource boxes outside of boats too. We've had some suggestions such as allowing gold to be siphoned from claim flags to pay crew, something we're still on the fence about at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Can confirm the crew will take gold from resource boxes outside of boats too. We've had some suggestions such as allowing gold to be siphoned from claim flags to pay crew, something we're still on the fence about at the moment.

I'm not sure about the flags, but if we could get the radius on the resources box and food larder increased (at least on land) then that would go a long way toward helping the issue. It would also help those that don't own the island they're building on.

Right now I have to use 8 separate resource box/larder stations just to maintain the crew around my base. It's a larger sized base but it's still a bit much.

1 hour ago, gadefence said:

If on your ship, ship resource box feeds your crew gold.

IF not, you need to give them gold manually.

That's not accurate. Try it on land.

1 minute ago, pope_kd said:

I did and my resource box never gave them money.

Maybe I figured the box was as big as the larder (they were in range of the adjacent larder)

Would be nice to see a range of effect ring on pressing h for ammo boxes, larder, and resource boxes 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jatheish said:

I hope if you add that, you also add the option to turn it off. Paying the crew is just half the job, you have to feed them and check ammo boxes too. Because mistakes happen, I'd rather  lose a few localized crewmembers from time to time, than all of them and the claim of the island at the same time.

10 hours ago, pope_kd said:

It IS accurate. Been this way since I started playing. If it is not working you are probably outside its radius. I believe the radius is 30 foundations distance. This was tested by a you tuber. Watched it on a video. I have one NPC I currently have to feed and give gold to manually because he is outside the radius at my base. Its a temporary situation so I do not mind right now. But they take gold from the resource container if in range.

4 hours ago, SIEGEGUN said:

It IS accurate. Been this way since I started playing. If it is not working you are probably outside its radius. I believe the radius is 30 foundations distance. This was tested by a you tuber. Watched it on a video. I have one NPC I currently have to feed and give gold to manually because he is outside the radius at my base. Its a temporary situation so I do not mind right now. But they take gold from the resource container if in range.

Around the 3:40 mark. This was prewipe but still seems accurate.

• Thanks 1

As I said in my post I "believe" that was the number, I had not tested it. I just know they do take the gold out if in range, others are saying they do not do so. Thanks for the video and correction/actual number of foundations. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 10:32 PM, Jatheish said:

Any chance the ranges on boxes, troughs, and larders could get put onto the H overlay similar to old claim flag ranges?  I hate playing the "is this close enough?" game sometimes

It might be nice to have the effective service area of a resource box be the entire island. It might also be nice to have crafting stations draw resources from it as well, so you don't necessarily have to keep stockpiles in each one or move them around constantly. Admittedly though there could be some circumstances where this might not be desirable, so maybe have it be a toggle option.  

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:32 AM, Jatheish said:

Please do that, pleeeeease - allow them to feed from claim flag or in case of tennants, a different structure. Or screw the tennants, leave that option to owners. Another suggestion would be to allow banks to do it automatically and allow tennants to use banks only for that purpose. Or allow res boxes to feed whole island with dropdown list of defense stations to feed or not. Or, “feed company npcs” allowed or disallowed for specific res box. With “land and ship”, “only land” and “only the ship” options, thus retaining the ability to feed only the ship its placed on.

Another thing to consider is easily mount npcs on high areas like platforms and cliffs without having to drag them and without them stuck when whistling to a cannon.

Because atm it is a major chore, consider doing the same to food at least. I know ammo should not be fed from central structure, and it should be left as it is.

Edited by gnihar

I had the same problem. I have put some defence tower and i was sure my NPC get gold from box but next day i lost 5 NPC cause they were to far. I dont know where the range is, where it end and i have to put 20 boxes for NPC just to make sure and run over and check the gold evry day. Its rly not fun.  Even thoe i put on 0 key gold and tried to pay those lost NPC gold tog et them back and they just litteraly took 5 times gold and i still didnt get them tamed again. I just lof like 300 gold to them and didnt get them back. Its seems like this option is bugged.

Altho i think flag Claim Circle is to big, and enemy can put Flag on hills (i mean hilly side oh hills) , i cant reach defence on that zones. If this cricle would be x2 smaller than its easier to defend. Im not talking that defending should be very easy but this circle is to big .

On 5/13/2019 at 9:32 PM, Jatheish said:

This would be a great mechanic for managing an island.  People have to put defenses all over the place to project harbors, tames bases and managing all these even in large companies is a PITA.  Maybe someone is out of town on business.  Maybe they forget.  Maybe they stop playing.  It happens all the time and then you see NPC's mutiny and have to fix it.  The people doing it complain about hauling gold to a dozen different towers with cannons, puckles, etc to put gold in the Ship Resource containers.  Its busy work and not at all enjoyable for most people. 

We talked about the idea of the tax bank/flag being able to pay for static land based assets.  I love this idea.  Helps large and small companies alike.   If you're worried about people building more complex defenses thus taxing the server more if its easier to pay the NPC's then the dev teams needs to look at that as an opportunity to gather more data and improve the server/network and client performance.  🙂  We're in testing.  All options need to be on the table! 

Edited by DocHolliday

Speaking of busy work, I'd like it if lanterns would draw oil from nearby resource boxes as well.

They did make it easier where you don't have to bring them to a smithy to repair anymore, but they also cut the lanterns life time in half, and I spend more time than I would like filling them back up.

Same here. Pre-wipe I had built a city, and had some 20-odd lanterns I'd have to grab, bring to a smithy, repair and replace. But I only had to do it once a day so it wasn't horrible.

Now I only have a castle built, but with the shortened life time of lanterns I've installed light switches in every room and only turn them on when needed. Even with it being easier to fill them up it's not worth the effort to have them on for any length of time anymore.

• Like 1

Would be nice if you could set the pin code to a resource box, then the same pin code on lanterns,  smiths, Loomis, or whatever, and it will pull resources from the coded resources box.

@Jatheish Dont use the claim flag. Create new structures that are crew centric. Crews barracks for feeding and paying them for the entire island (or two separate buildings). Logging camp that can be manned with crew up to X amt that generate wood/thatch of the same type in their radius based on how many crew are there(up to max amt). Quarry for stone. Mining camp for metal. Fields for fiber. Give them a reasonable cap on the resources they can hold and the rate at which they fill so they need to be emptied at reasonable intervals(12 hrs?) Or they get full and stop production. Could even animate the npcs working there so that the buildings feel alive. Only allow 1 of each building per company. Make crew more useful than manning sails or weapons.

Edited by Myrmidon