Sign in to follow this  
Ichor

Taming: Flavor text vs. the frustrating reality.

So me and my friend were trying to tame a giraffe, we were unsuccessful for a number of reasons which include the things rather ludicris hitbox when it thrashes about and randomly glitching around in the pen. After about 30 or so minutes of cursing we gave up on it. However this wasn't the first time this happened, as I tried to tame a bull with no success. 

So I take a look at the skills and notice the flavor text for taming which states: "There are legends of those with the ability to speak in whispers to animals; to soothe them, and to tame the wild fires that burn within."

With that in mind shouldn't taming be less of an ordeal rather than brutallizing an animal repeatedly and bola'ing it before trying to feed it as it thrashes about like an utter jerk. Some hit boxes are worse than others, bears and wolves are annoying but not terribad. But when it comes to the giraffe we could barely ever get to feed it, and i couldnt feed the bull. Is there something I am missing or is it something the whole system of taming is missing?

• Thanks 1

I can tame things fine, but it's a really inelegant, clumsy system. I much prefer tranqs as in Ark or the Hook Arrows in Dark and Light.

• Like 1

I think the bolas should last quite a bit longer, or once you've got them down you can then tranquilize them. It wouldn't just be able repeatedly abusing the animal and then rewarding it with food. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Coggage said:

I can tame things fine, but it's a really inelegant, clumsy system. I much prefer tranqs as in Ark or the Hook Arrows in Dark and Light.

Oh no, let’s never speak of the ark taming again. That was soooo boring and took forever for some animals. 

Atlas taming is much more interactive and quicker. I usually don’t use a taming pen, especially for giraffes and elephants. All they really need to do to make taming better is take a look at some of the hit boxes. The concept is fine imo. 

I use a bear and then bola from the bear and never have a problem. I use to face taming problems when I would use traps especially for the bigger mounts

• Thanks 1

Giraffe you can feed from the back of the head with alot more success. Take a monkey and plate armor to take hits and heal faster.

• Thanks 1

The taming system definitely needs and overhaul.  The Devs of games like this think that evertything must be monumentally difficult, or people will get bored doing it.  Not true at all.  Many people love building things.  That's not hard at all.  Same for building ships.  Farming isn't actually that difficult.  Taming a monkey isn't actually difficult, and I enjoy that no less than taming other things.  Frustration is not good.  People don't like being frustrated.  That being said, other than the Elephant, taming isn't too difficult, and I know people prefer the much lower time to tame here, than in ARK.  Don't get me started on Breeding.  Just get a good bear and pump everything into health.  Then, do the skills that will make it easier. Sneak 3, Taming proficiency, and get the Monster Whale achievement.   Then, put the taming food in your 0 slot, fill your inventory with bolas, and put a couple in your hot bar.  Find the animal you want to tame, and start hitting it with a bear.  If it is an area with a lot of predators spawning, you will not want to do this alone.  Take at least one other person on a high health/high melee bear to kill anything that threatens you and your tame.  Put your bear...the one you are riding, on passive, so it won't kill the tame, in the event that you get hit.

The bear that you ride, you want high health, and you are better served if you have Nature's Touch 3.  You do not actually want this bear to have very high Melee, as having lower melee allows you to use the bear more safely in lowering the health of the tame, so you can bola it.  The person who is riding the other bear, should have Nature's Touch 3 and Nature's Cry 3, and his bear should have high health and melee.

Put down a bed near the tame so you can get back quickly, if you are killed.  It helps if there are at least two people spec'd fully into taming, but just being able to continue feeding is the most important thing, so tier 3 for the Giraffe.  If one person gets killed, the other person takes over feeding, to prevent loss of progress.

If lions are nearby, and you are doing this alone, learn where the [-] key is.  If you get pulled off the bear by a lion, that is your first action...press the [-] key to take your bear off passive and put it on neutral.

Don't use traps.  For some reason, these cause aggressive animals to last out more.  There are ways around this, but you would need a team to do it.  Like placing down wood walls just before the tame wakes up, and demolishing them to do the feeding, rinse and repeat until the taming is complete.  I do use structures to close in a horse, to tame it.  Get it's health down from the back of a bear...and once sufficiently down, bola it in an area with relatively flat ground, and few obstructions.  Once down, enclose it with structures.  Begin feeding only after enclosed.  Medium gates work best.  Thatch foundations with walls at least 2 high also work.

If taming an ostrich, or other low health tames, such as a wolf, put a bow and arrow in your 1 slot.  Bolas in 2 and 3.  Do not spec into Strong Arm for the bow.  Use the bow from the back of the bear to lower the tame's health if you fear the bear will kill it with one more hit.  A good indication would be that the bear takes half or more of the tame's health with one hit.  A second hit might kill it.  Biting does a little bit less damage than swiping with the paw.

Don't use pen for taming animals, use bear mount. When I tried taming a giraffe in a pen it just totated 360°, only use pens for tigers, lions, razors. Use accordian to have the taming affinity buff and make sure to have the taming affinity skill unlocked which you get after killing the Monstrous Sperm Whale. If your character is really small, you'll get hit by elephant due to the dumb mechanics. Taming is easy once you know the sweetspots for each animal but I feel bad for hurting the bears. 😞

4 hours ago, Vegetto said:

If your character is really small, you'll get hit by elephant due to the dumb mechanics.

Which explains why I had so many problems with the Elephant.

8 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Many people love building things.  That's not hard at all. 

You'd think it wouldn't be, but it's one of the most frustrating things in the game.

8 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Don't use traps.  For some reason, these cause aggressive animals to last out more.

100% this.   I have had way way more success taming WITHOUT traps.  The animals will lash out at ANYTHING within their field of attack, so when you have a post or whatever in the animals face, it will permanently attack it.  Most attacks have an AOE cone, so you trying to stuff something into an animals face when it's busy attacking a post is not helpful to you or your taming.  With no post in its face, you'll be surprised as to how easy taming is.   Last night used a bear, and tamed another (level 30) bear without incident, and two level 26 rhinos without a single hit.   You can attack down to bola health with the bear attack, and if that's not enough, you can bola from the back of a bear.

People need to realise the trapped animal isn't attacking them when they have a fence in their face, they're attacking the fence, and you're just collateral damage most times.

Yeah I used pens at first but free taming is the way to go, you have much more control over the animal and where you bola it.

9 hours ago, pope_kd said:

There's a whole talent tree for shields.

Look into it.

this works confirmed.

2. you need sneaking it stops thrashing and dont let your boy hover around

Most of my company mates tame from a bear only now.  We demolished all our taming pens.  Waste of time and resources.  Each tame has a sweet spot and sometimes like an elephant for example that sweet spot can be interfered with my small elevation changes in the landscape.  Feet pointing up hill you have to change your tame technique to rush in and feed really quick and back out.  If its flat land or downhill you can sometimes get in a small area to feed and other times you have to wait for the elephant to inhale for the feed option to come up.  Most of my elephant tames worked this way.  Tamed 3 of them in a couple hours time on Saturday.  Brought home 3 elephants and a rhino plus resources in several hours of work. 

I did not realize there was a music buff for taming.  Will try that out next weekend with 2x. 

Edited by DocHolliday