Now before this gets picked apart by random people on the internet who just want to troll around and insult people for their opinions let me start by saying that I love this game. However i do have some suggestions i think would be amazing if GS integrated them into their current system. Most if not all of my opinions would greatly improve the experience most solo/small companies have in and create unique and fun challenges for companies to overcome. Since this IS early access I figured this would be the only time to throw some suggestions out there. And again I am not a programmer/developer so I don't know how difficult these suggestions would be to implement they are just fun idea I think about while playing that would improve the game in some way.

More crew options

For starters this is one of the most ambitious games I have ever played and has a ton of potential but as stated above a few tweaks to the system could help this game topple most other games in the genre. First of which is the crew system. As it stands now the crew system is pretty good, go to a Freeport or kill ghost ships to acquire more crew to man your ships or mount guns to defend your base. But I would suggest building upon the foundation of the system and AI of the crew to add more immersion and customization to the game.

Similar to what the thrall system is in conan exiles, GS could add crew npc's that are not just static npc's the the same behaviors. I suggest adding a system that implements new crew that are proficient in different categories. I.e. crew members that are better suited to man sails but not good at maning cannons or turrets. Or npc's that are well suited for base defense so you can leave an army of npc's in your base to defend it while offline on cannons or armed with swords/bows/guns on foot to meet the invaders. The Ai could possibly function similar to the army of the damned. And while stationed or positioned where they are best suited, the npc's would receive a buff of some sort maybe extra damage or faster turning on sails ect. (And I know you can spec into Captaineering to get talented crew but this would save on skill points)

Just picture you are a solo player and you have a little base a few defensive structures but not much else around to keep you safe. Now a bigger crew tries to raid you. They blow up your defenses and storm the beach. But this time you have an army of crew members armed to the teeth somewhere in your base to help fight back. This creates a little more excitement and protection for the little guys and more gameplay for the bigger tribes where they can't just overwhelm the solo/small tribes with little to no resistance.

Or on the open ocean you have crew on board not just on sails or cannons but armed with fire arrows and swords to help you fight back enemies when they board your ship. And they will hopefully be good enough to actually put up a fight while defending.

Drop anchor at an enemy base and have a horde of npc's follow you into battle.

While currently you can place crew on the steering wheel. What if you improve on the idea by being able to program a destination. You can have trade routes that will allow the auto pilot to sail to the nearest free port or a marker that you place. Allowing for smaller companies to send automated shipments or supplies to other bases or ports. And similar to the current playershops can sell goods when they are docked.

Don't like farming or just don't have the time or man power to farm hundreds of trees for resources? Have crew members specialized in gathering. These crew members could be set to wander and gather wood/thatch/stone ect around your base and place the resources in a designated resource bin. (This can be done in some way in a similar way like pretty much any RTS in the past almost 30 years)

These additional crew types would cut down on the grindiness this game has and improve the overall gameplay especially for smaller companies.

Now how would you acquire these new crew? Simple, for starters go to a Freeport like normal to get lower grade (common) crew in each specialization. And I have to point out conan exiles again. But for higher tiers you would have to complete harder and more time consuming quest or tasks. I.e. killing ghost ships, completing dungeons, quest, going to the power or any other new content added later. This will give more incentive to complete more endgame task and detract from the zerg mentality of pvp and add a little bit of strategy to the game.

And again this can be done in some way. If you look at gameplay from conan it has already done similar things with the thrall system. To top it off it would pull farther away from just the basic taming system in place currently with animals and make it stand out as more than just "ark 2.0". Could even add a new talent tree specifically for crew so you can either spec down the beastmaster tree or the crew tree.

In short this would improve QOL, allow smaller companies to actually stand a chance and not get destroyed so easily, cuts down on the monotony of farming and adds additional gameplay mechanics.

GIVE ME MORE SHIPS!

Naval warfare is a big reason why a lot of us play in the first place. And while the current ships are enough for early access I think many of us would get bored of the current variety we have now. How many schooners and Brigs can we build before we get tired of the same in game models? Granted there are tons of customization options and builds can try, but how about new ship types or skins.

Skins may just be a cosmetic thing like what you guys are working on for the steering wheel. Would be awesome to see some viking, Greek, or Romam ship skins if not just whole new ship designs. For example a whole new category of ship with sails and oars/oarsmen. Built for speed with possibly having rams on the front for ramming enemy ships for massive damage.

Adding rams of some form would drastically change naval warfare as it is in game currently. Having to sacrifice speed and weight to place a heavy metal ram on the front of your ship. Forced to make tactical decisions whether to add a ram and strip down some decks or add stronger oarsmen (crew) for speed. Could be similar to the rhino if you command your oarsman to pick up speed in order to land a crushing blow.

Speaking of decks. How about the ability to customize the decks we have on ships. As in a cargo deck that, like the cargo racks from the may update reduce weight of items or workstations put on them. Or a deck designed to preserve food and refuse spoil timers for traders shipping their goods. Or a weapons deck that increases damage done by any cannon/torpedoe placed on it. (this would help disrupt the current meta of placing a ton of cannons on ceilings to overwhelm your opponent). or a deck with temp control for when it gets too hot or too cold.

Not saying the current old English/British styled ships are a bad thing, I know it's pirate era they are going for just think it would be interesting to see new ship designs. Maybe make new content around the new skins/ships so when you see one you know that crew did something challenging similar to the submarine and the kraken.

These things and more are buzzing around in my head almost every time I play. And you could update the game almost monthly like they did ark back in the day. Again, I know most of this is a long shot but still think these are cool ideas that if implemented could possibly increase sales and the longevity of the game and keep people playing.

This has been my TED talk...