Sign in to follow this  
Argh!

Recent change broke ship building...

Recent change in V.104.2, broke ship building -- "When demolishing a non-ship/core type structures on a non-fully-anchored boat, resources will not be returned to you." -- Unfortunately your ship is not officially at anchor when it is in the ship cradle, so this is in effect while building ships. any time a mistake is made, or you need to move something that is past the pick-up timer, you eat the cost of materials.

Also -- I don't understand why this change was made?? We survived an attack from a SoD because we were able to demolish some of our ship to reclaim materials when our resource box ran dry, and we had a plank missing -- it was just enough to replace a ship's plank and escape death.  That was actually one of the most satisfying moment I had in the game.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the report, Ill pass it along!

• Like 1

An update... I launched the ship, and It appears we are not getting back resources even at anchor. 

Is the anchor green? If not, then you aren't fully anchored

I agree completely with op, this change has utterly ruined my gameplay experience.  It's one thing to have to carry resources etc but these ships are supposed to be our floating bases and for the most part, unless you strip out almost everything any of the ships is prone to this simulator type timesink.  It's alot of effort to loose, just because some devs think it's a valid change, it isn't.  If there's an issue in pvp, then change it in pvp. There's no reason to ruin the game for everyone else.  Not to mention the system of anchoring and getting resources returned is buggy as hell, many locations you cannot even anchor.  Others you can anchor and get green but are not counted as fully anchored, then there's specific items like Large Sails, that just don't return or have the temp placement allowment, meaning you place a sail by accident, it's a total loss.  Regardless of your anchor.

I do not understand ... in what sense is fully anchored? if you have anchored to the bottom, then there can be several options ... only one and this is an anchor. fully, not fully ... nonsense :classic_blink:

@JakeM -- I'll check for the green icon next time I'm on, but could you please clarify what "fully anchored" means? This is a strange concept -- Why would a green anchor mean you are not fully anchored (green usually means good)... and why is that even a thing? 

On 5/12/2019 at 3:03 AM, Argh! said:

Also -- I don't understand why this change was made?? We survived an attack from a SoD because we were able to demolish some of our ship to reclaim materials when our resource box ran dry, and we had a plank missing -- it was just enough to replace a ship's plank and escape death.  That was actually one of the most satisfying moment I had in the game.

This change was made because people were bringing tons of bookshelves, and then when those got nerfed, feeding troughs on their ships instead of repair materials because it was a fraction of the weight, and demolishing the troughs put the repair materials in the resource box to be able to repair.

You can essentially still do the same thing by just bringing a bunch of extra planks.... planks are light and if you demo a full/close to full health plank you can instantly replace it and get plenty of repair mats from the demo.

As for the current system, I think it is working OK. When you first drop your anchor you will see the anchor icon as kind of hollow, and it will slowly fill until you are 'fully anchored' at which time it will turn green. At this point anything you demo will go to your resource chest. I believe ceilings and walls will always return resources to your chest whether you are anchored or not as they fall under that 'core' category they are talking about. If I remember correctly roofs do not, and should probably be added to the list of things that do since they are used in almost every ship build.

If you are concerned about losing resources while you build your ship, you can drop it pretty much as soon as you have the planks on it and anchor it and go from there.

• Thanks 1

I double checked, and yes the anchor is/was green -- 

5 hours ago, Chillmatic Airwaves said:

If you are concerned about losing resources while you build your ship, you can drop it pretty much as soon as you have the planks on it and anchor it and go from there.

While this is true, The best way to build infrastructure is to do it before the planks are on... There are certain cabin styles that can't be built once planks are in place, because they cause obstructions. Yes, this is a temporary work around (although I was not getting materials back even after the boat was launched and at anchor) -- I woonder if it's because I didn't have a resource box on board yet?? -- it should really get fixed. 🙂