Jorm

Foundation Spam Reason for a Ban?

Should Foundation be a Reason for a temporary Bann?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should Foundation be a Reason for a Temporable Bann?

• Yes
    • No
    • Whatever

Pillars are the new claim system....

NOTHING can be done about it until a better claim mechanic is implemented....

you gonna make single foundations decay fast ?..... what about that sidewalk I build ?....

Forget about a sidewalk, I will build a PARKING LOT around my base if that is needed to keep you from turning my base into a duplex.....

Edited by Salty Jack

There is unnecessary pillar / foundation spam, and there is needed foundation / pillar spam.

Needed foundation spam is to stop some thoughtless and ignorant moron building a 'use-once' taming pen right in the middle of your base, or, putting a use-once ship yard right at the mid point of a pier you're trying to build for visitors.

I could be accused of localised foundation spam (to perimeter access points to our main base), but I'd never use what i'd coin destructive foundation spam, like spamming 2/3rds of an island, and ignoring requests for parts to be removed in gentlemen agreements.

We moved base, as some twit built a taming pen right in the middle of it, then ignored all requests to get rid of it, we even offered to make a public pen just in case... but no, they won, and we moved..  so hell yeah, foundation'd the area to stop that nonsense.

Hell yes id consider banning. Nothing more un original and god awfull than an Ark style dmz. I want to get as far away from Ark 2.0 as possible. 

Ill never understand what was so hard about just giving everyone a single claim flag and going from there.

But the fact is, if your spamming foundations, its becuase you are trying to rig the system. Say what you want, but it is what it is.

There are lots of ways to combat this from a GM perspective.

1. Solo foundations decay in a day.

2. The radius of the no build zone is super small, making spamming worthless.

3. A ratio of foundations to walls and ceilings.

4. Go super conservative and put a hard limit per company / person on foundations.

5. Make foundations super weak and multiply the defense per attached structure.

Im not even trying yet. Id imagine we see a solution to this before the game is released. Although the real answer is almost never banning unless you actually cheating.

-CS

• Like 1

Ban me because I don’t want a Chucksteak building 5 feet in front of my door ?....

where your base at Chuck?.....

To me, a guy that goes around and spams multiple islands just to be a ass.. is the ones that need banned.

But if you live on lawless move to a owned island.. radius is much larger then lawless..

I dont get why people cant respect other peoples area..

I don’t get it either.... but they don’t.... that’s why I feel the need to pillar around my front door to keep Chucksteaks from building up on me....

One of my contacts on discord (lawless) was complaining that this guy parked his galleon right across his pier, blocking 3 boat parking spaces (that he built for decent players to reverse up to, giving them access to a jetty and easy platforms to the coastal resources, as there was a treasure map location nearby to, so traffic was fairly regular).  What did this guy do? well after blocking the three parking spaces, he comes swimming in (ignoring the walk ways), plonks down several foundations, and builds a taming pen around some metal deposits...  my friend; he's half laughing, half raging on the channel, and I said, well ask him to move the boat and remove the pen when done??  easy...   my contact chuckled a sinister guffaw, and said no way he's going to do that, I have an idea..

After some time, the chap finished his giraffe tame, went straight to the boat, and ignored all friendly requests to remove the taming pen, instead he exclaimed in chat that we could consider it a present (bearing in mind it's unwanted, and in the way).   and he jumped on his boat to leave.  Only then my mate laughed hard, said the idiot is going nowhere.  Apparently, as insurance, whilst this guy was taming, they built under water pillars to block the galleon in.  The chap was stuck fast.  He started ranting in chat about reporting the corp for griefing and splattering insults everywhere, and a polite reminder was made for him to get back to the beach and undo all the mess he made.  The moron still refused.  The galleon was there for two days, until all of a sudden the pen was gone, and the mess was tidied up.  The pillars were quickly removed, and the galleon was allowed to be on its way, the next day it was gone, so assumably, he logged in and went with his tail between his legs...

Immediately, they put foundations all around to protect the area from this kind of thing..   I cannot blame them.   In PvP you can remove such unwanted structures, in PvE, as long as the player remains active, game over, untouchable, you have an immune to everything structure pointlessly blocking you.

So foundation spam is a deterrent, and preventative measure to stop someone borking your hard work.

2 hours ago, Salty Jack said:

Ban me because I don’t want a Chucksteak building 5 feet in front of my door ?....

where your base at Chuck?.....

I wouldn't bother building so close to you. My base is small and hidden away in a hopefully lesser traveled location. Partly becuase you won't see a field of spammed structures that make you wonder what level of austim I am suffering from. I would instead simply break into your base and loot it. 

2 hours ago, Salty Jack said:

I don’t get it either.... but they don’t.... that’s why I feel the need to pillar around my front door to keep Chucksteaks from building up on me....

Look I get it, your not able to think of a  better solution. Perhaps you play PvE, in witch case your basically in a giant co op game and everyone is in a safe zone. Can't help that. You should at least be intelligent enough to understand there is a break down in game play.

Take the large cannon walls for example. It felt silly, and looked silly, and took away from game play. Some felt empowered with the lack of effort the SoTD became. This was obviously going to change at some point. Establishing metas for noobs seems to be something we would all want to avoid.

Spamming foundations looks silly and feels silly. Rest assured that is only becuase it is completly silly. Im still going to come by with a bear cart, sad day for you.  

I fully believe this is something that will get patched out. I also fully believe no one would get banned for spamming pillars so calm down salty spammer. However, I would personnaly fully support them throwing up a message saying pleaee dont spam foundations, we reserve the right to ban you if we find you needlessly being uncreative and trying to bog down servers with trash. 

If you dont want anyone near you or around you, go play your own server. As I always say, this IS an MMORPG afterall. With EA there will of course be abuseable mechanics, like the large cannon walls on deck, and thats what we are here for, to help identify these and polish them out. 

Stop embarrassing yourselves by suckling up to obviouy broken mechanics as the only way to play. 

-CS

Chucksteak..... I don’t play PVP because I’m scared of you and your bear cannon.... 

i don’t assume to speak for PVP players because I don’t play those servers. Would be silly of me to speak of something I don’t know....

So I will ask you Chucksteak..... is foundation spam a problem or even a thing in PVP ?....

What I’m saying here Chuck is this discussion pertains to PVE.... Why you speaking of something you do not know ?.... I say ban everyone who has ever off-line raided.... there.... I’m speaking of something of which I do not know, happy Chuck ?....

Edited by Salty Jack

22 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

Chucksteak..... I don’t play PVP because I’m scared of you and your bear cannon.... 

i don’t assume to speak for PVP players because I don’t play those servers. Would be silly of me to speak of something I don’t know....

So I will ask you Chucksteak..... is foundation spam a problem or even a thing in PVP ?....

What I’m saying here Chuck is this discussion pertains to PVE.... Why you speaking of something you do not know ?.... I say ban everyone who has ever off-line raided.... there.... I’m speaking of something of which I do not know, happy Chuck ?....

Oh shit, I apologize I thought we were in the general discussion section, and not the PvE section.

Wait I scrolled up, I think you might be in the wrong section.

But to answer your question, it does exist on PvP, and it is really annoying. We do play with the same game, and thus the same basic mechanics, so I guess I am plenty qualified by your standards. I have to imagine this is more of a problem on PvE. However this is a server choice that remains open to you, and as such cant be used as a crutch excuse as to why you just MUST spamm foundations. 

Thank you for bringing up offline raiding. This is another great example of what was a broken mechanic. This issue was addressed. Although the solution isnt perfect, or even what I would have done, it has in fact worked to a large degree. But it took a server wipe didnt it? A lot of people complained about that. Too many assholes played like assholes and thus the wipe was nessisary. So yeah, I'd ban them too. Assholes respond better when you treat them like assholes. 

And dont be afraid of Todd, hes a great bear and almost house trained. 

I adamantly stand by my opinion that this spamming is a terrible meta, for both server types, and not in line with the spirit of the game.

Think what else you could build with those mats if you didnt feel obligated to use them to build ugly ass single foundations sprinkled everywhere. 

I agree it’s a terrible meta....

on PVE it’s a NECESSARY meta.....

I agree a crapload of thatch foundations looks ugly.   It also breaks the immersion of the game.

I use pillars and strive to hide them in trees, rocks and bushes....

i don’t know why you play this game but for me, it’s building nice looking bases....

you say they tried to fix off-line raiding and for the most part did..... well they tried to fix spamming with the new flag system and failed....

my only problem with you is you wanting me banned for playing how I wish..... to that sir, I say ban everyone who’s name ends in “steak”....

Edited by Salty Jack

Decay rates tied to the proximity of other structures and the size of those structures by the same builder/guild seems the most effective way to clean up unwanted spam but still allow established residents the ability to maintain a reasonable building area and reduce land grabbing and harassment foundation spam.

For example a single foundation by an island owner or near a large building made by the same player/guild/(alliance?) would have a normal decay rate.  Individual foundations or tiny multi-piece constructions near nothing but other single foundations or large buildings by other players would have a very very fast decay rate.

It would be a fairly complex system of hierarchies and distances based on what's adjacent - but that would better address many of the issues without going to the extreme of petty bans and impossible arguments over what constitutes gameplay vs spam.

Edited by Myth

Not ban but i would say that an island owner should be able to put a vote down to exile certain companies if they do this. I have seen people just but down foundations along the beaches so people cannot build docks.

Like I posted earlier MYTH..... I will build a parking lot if that is what it takes to keep you off my porch.... your progressive foundation decay formula won’t stop that.... try again.... 

stopping spam isn’t where attention should be directed.... the REASON people spam is the REAL problem.... that is what needs fixed....

Edited by Salty Jack
  • Like 1