Jorm

Foundation Spam Reason for a Ban?

Should Foundation be a Reason for a temporary Bann?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should Foundation be a Reason for a Temporable Bann?

• Yes
    • No
    • Whatever

It Should be , its ugly as Hell and keeps other from getting a Foot in the game!

Edited by Jorm
  • Like 1

Ban = you lose access to the game. There's no mechanic preventing foundation spam so you're really banning someone for a core game mechanic.

Seems like a dumb reason to take 30$ away from them.

Side note, aren't you in another thread saying people should be able to cock block my pier by logging in once every 10 days?

Edited by gadefence
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Ban = you lose access to the game. There's no mechanic preventing foundation spam so you're really banning someone for a core game mechanic.

Side note, aren't you in another thread saying people should be able to cock block my pier by logging in once every 10 days?

Foundation spam is another Thing, than playing and Blocking your (i assume ) huge dock.

I saw islands with hundreds and hundreds of Foundations Pillars and more.

3 minutes ago, Jorm said:

Foundation spam is another Thing, than playing and Blocking your (i assume ) huge dock.

I saw islands with hundreds and hundreds of Foundations Pillars and more.

The only difference between me and him is a bed's in the way. You're saying if I was first on my island I could make a dock the size of the island and only then would you be pissed about it?

12 minutes ago, gadefence said:

The only difference between me and him is a bed's in the way. You're saying if I was first on my island I could make a dock the size of the island and only then would you be pissed about it?

Im pissed because People like you build Island full of use less stuff, because they got nothing better to do. An blocking other People from Properly Playing!

34 minutes ago, Jorm said:

Im pissed because People like you build Island full of use less stuff, because they got nothing better to do. An blocking other People from Properly Playing!

Sounds to me like you want to defend one broken aspect of the game (cock blocking people with useless pillars you forgot about) while arguing against another broken aspect of the game - and stealing people's money (island wide foundation spam)

Because it was so hard to predict that the game changes would lead to exactly that... Devs fault if you ask me, its a stupid mechanic to begin with and totally ruins the immersion...

something should be done about it, but OBVIOUSLY not ban (even temporary, not temporable), since building foundations is game mechanic...

maybe a couple of hours timer on foundations when they aren't attached to a number of other structures/foundations.

Edited by Dragone
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jorm said:

Ahem. Who made you the arbiter of what is proper play? A very strong argument can be put forward that building is a core gameplay feature and mechanic and thus it would up to the devs and the devs alone to limit its use or say otherwise. As far as having nothing better to do, unless you are using Atlas to cure cancer or rid the world of professional bowling (a scourge upon society if ever there was one), then like every other player you have nothing better to do.

20 hours ago, gadefence said:

I don’t think it can be fairly argued that because building is a core game mechanic foundation spam is an equally permissible core game mechanic. This strikes me as analogous to asserting that since the game has chat then using said chat to spew profanity laced insults at someone is inherently okay. Core mechanics can be exploited in undesirable ways unintended by the developers. It is of course incumbent on said devs to clearly communicate whether foundation spam is permissible or not.

When is spam spam?  If I'm building on lawless and I want to prevent other people from building right on top of my stuff, so I put down foundations, is that spam?  If I'm starting out and want to reserve an area to put my taming pen, docks, barn, etc..is that spam?  What about if I'm trying to protect a resource?

You don't want devs running around trying to second guess what's going on and banning people for foundations.  

It ought to be taught in game design classes -  don't leave anything up to policing by GMs that can be handled through game design.

• Like 1

Use something for blocked other player it's for me not fair, and a Temporal Ban it's a Good Sanction ! 

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

I don’t think it can be fairly argued that because building is a core game mechanic foundation spam is an equally permissible core game mechanic. This strikes me as analogous to asserting that since the game has chat then using said chat to spew profanity laced insults at someone is inherently okay. Core mechanics can be exploited in undesirable ways unintended by the developers. It is of course incumbent on said devs to clearly communicate whether foundation spam is permissible or not.

I'm not arguing foundation spam is good or something the devs should encourage. Hell, whiping out all your buildings in a zone would be a logical answer to it IMO. But. Banning someone from the game over it, stealing 30$ from them, is extreme.

Banning people cause game developer can't find solution is stupid.

I know that's really annoying if people do spam foundations like that but till game allows it then can't ban anybody.  

I went to click no, but accidentally clicked yes! 

Stupid fat fingers! 😂

seriously though, no!! Although something needs to be done about it, who judges what is spam and what isn’t? Ultimately it’s people abusing the freedoms of the game mechanics,  which is a shame as the level of freedom in atlas is amazing. And we will have to lose some of that freedom to keep such people in check to allow all to play.

11 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

When is spam spam?  If I'm building on lawless and I want to prevent other people from building right on top of my stuff, so I put down foundations, is that spam?  If I'm starting out and want to reserve an area to put my taming pen, docks, barn, etc..is that spam?  What about if I'm trying to protect a resource?

You don't want devs running around trying to second guess what's going on and banning people for foundations.  

It ought to be taught in game design classes -  don't leave anything up to policing by GMs that can be handled through game design.

This right here is exactly why it shouldnt be.  I block out a sandbar or area to build my base, dock, and pen.   Someone flags me for spam and I'm banned?  I think devs have better things to worry about. 

Maybe like someone said foundations without anything attached have a shorter span but then people will just link 2 foundations together. So they need a better idea than that. 

ok let me ask you some things here...

do you want to be raided 24/7 cuz some aggressive people build a foundation next to your building with a cannon or a fob on your claimed island to take it over?

do you want aggressive people on spots where they can reach all your ships or tames to nuke them?

if you play pve do you want random people to build pillars around your ship or gates around your base to trap you?

how would you fix foundation spam with some of those things in mind?

Edited by Wichtelman

15 hours ago, Hexaron said:

Banning people cause game developer can't find solution is stupid.

I know that's really annoying if people do spam foundations like that but till game allows it then can't ban anybody.  

"finding" a solution is extremely simple. Like I said single foundations could have few hours decay timer.

The question here is whether the dev. is willing to change this mechanic or not. But one thing I agree: banning players for the game's shortcomings is really NOT a solution. Thankfully, 51% of our players aren't developers themselves because if that's how they reason they'd conceive even worse games than those they criticize.

Edited by Dragone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragone said:

"finding" a solution is extremely simple. Like I said single foundations could have few hours decay timer.

The question here is whether the dev. is willing to change this mechanic or not. But one thing I agree: banning players for the game's shortcomings is really NOT a solution. Thankfully, 51% of our players aren't developers themselves because if that's how they reason they'd conceive even worse games than those they criticize.

I don't know if it's that simple though.  If it's just single foundations, people will make 2, or use a pillar.or fence posts.  If it's not just single foundations, people will be losing beds and smithys, and buildings that they started and plan to finish tomorrow, etc.

There are a lot of really complicated solutions needed to overcome the problem of not simply giving every player one or two claims so they can own a piece of land.

8 hours ago, Wichtelman said:

ok let me ask you some things here...

do you want to be raided 24/7 cuz some aggressive people build a foundation next to your building with a cannon or a fob on your claimed island to take it over?

do you want aggressive people on spots where they can reach all your ships or tames to nuke them?

if you play pve do you want random people to build pillars around your ship or gates around your base to trap you?

how would you fix foundation spam with some of those things in mind?

I think it's a pve issue t, in pvp the solution is already implemented and is called cannons.

• Like 1

There a different foundations spammer. 

I think everybody knows this "Lawless foundation spam". Everybody there do it, its like a claim system.

Second option is foundation spam to block ressources and/or player bashing. 

First option is no ban reason. Second one depends on the situation, but possible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dragone said:

You say this as though it isn’t already happening...*cough* Anthem *cough*

9 hours ago, Remcott said:

This right here is exactly why it shouldnt be.  I block out a sandbar or area to build my base, dock, and pen.   Someone flags me for spam and I'm banned?  I think devs have better things to worry about. 

Maybe like someone said foundations without anything attached have a shorter span but then people will just link 2 foundations together. So they need a better idea than that. 

So why would you assume you should have the right to “block out” an area for future use? When I ran a 4 server private cluster in Ark, this was specifically forbidden. Want to build something somewhere? Then claim that spot by actually building, not lazily calling dibs by throwing down foundations and then maybe getting around to building on it after St Swibbons Day. This may or may not be the approach the devs prefer, but if they did I would be fine with it.

1 hour ago, znasser said:

I think it's a pve issue t, in pvp the solution is already implemented and is called cannons.

good luck and have fun if the entire island is full of pillars and foundations even if you conquer an island... 😛

i think there is no easy solution but for the most part idk...

1 minute ago, Wichtelman said:

good luck and have fun if the entire island is full of pillars and foundations even if you conquer an island... 😛

i think there is no easy solution but for the most part idk...

Nobody said it wasn't a pain to clean them up, but as long as we in pvp have a counter why shouldn't it be a valid tactic? PVE players don't have that luxury so i think they are the ones who have a legitimate complain about this.