Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Not too early to tell anymore

Sorry guys but no, it’s not to early to tell anymore. I went ahead and waited awhile(weeks) till I posted this but no, the direction is not good.

any kind of claim system will simply not work. It just isn’t going to happen. Please don’t try to say well the numbers went up because they didn’t lol. Sure they went up from the 3k everage while people were waiting for the wipe but make sure you don’t forget that even at the absolute peak after the wipe, there wasn’t even half of the people that came back. We are talking 10k peak now on the weekend and 7k peak on the weekdays.

it is time to bring in the build anywhere style of gameplay. That will always be superior. As far as the playershop goes? There better not even be a 1 gold per week upkeep. Not even that. Absolutely free player shops are the only possibility or that whole concept is done.

it is completely cool you guys have a very small niche of players for the game. No problem with that, but you are going from a game that sold millions of copies(before the release, like 10 million) to where only a few thousand people are even willing to play the game.

you need to get your ship in order and no, that wasn’t a metaphor. You guys are definitely not doing a good job right now.

its getting sad and you really need to stop listening to the people that play the game. There is a reason only a few thousand play it. “Those people” are going to play it regardless. It’s called addiction. They aren’t anywhere even close to the important players. The most important players are the ones that haven’t bought your game yet which I already know that you know that. I mean, who doesn’t want more money right?

hopefully you guys straighten up soon, because if not you guys are done.

• Haha 4

I agree make everywhere like lawless and give everybody 1 claim flag so there boats are there in the morning and you got a game that will have success. just make it where everyones claim flag has a window of be attacked like 4 hours or something. oh and make  a 5 man company small man server and this game will be so good!

3 minutes ago, lordkhan4444 said:

I agree make everywhere like lawless and give everybody 1 claim flag so there boats are there in the morning and you got a game that will have success. just make it where everyones claim flag has a window of be attacked like 4 hours or something. oh and make  a 5 man company small man server and this game will be so good!

Totally with you on the small company server. The only thing is I really want the whole claim system gone. Even the 1 flag won’t really do it. That is why small companies have a problem in the first place.

with ark you could just build a little base anywhere you wanted to. Even if a mega owned the server, these little guys would be able to build a little base and not even be seen for awhile.

you should be able to build anywhere. No boundaries. They really need to re think this because it’s not working the way it is

I personally would love to give "small territories" system a chance.

The system that we came up to before wipe. Each island have 10-30 (depends of island size) small territories on shore. And one guy or a small company can claim 1 territory. Bigger company - few territories. Megas - (well... the very-very MEGA) maybe half of island. And central part of island is "lawless" rule with rapid decay.

And see - what will happen there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Realist said:

any kind of claim system will simply not work. It just isn’t going to happen. Please don’t try to say well the numbers went up because they didn’t lol. Sure they went up from the 3k everage while people were waiting for the wipe but make sure you don’t forget that even at the absolute peak after the wipe, there wasn’t even half of the people that came back. We are talking 10k peak now on the weekend and 7k peak on the weekdays.

The low number of players isn't really the result of a claim system in the game. The claim system right now is working perfectly fine. Those that complain about the claim system are those that haven't given the new claim system a try. They've already labeled it as bad without testing the waters. The reason numbers are low and haven't increased as much as hoped since 1.5 is because of several things:

1. The Devs history with ARK - this will be a big contributing factor as to why Atlas hasn't done as well as ARK
  2. The initial EA release with poor server performance - January clearly shows how many people were simply put off because of the poor first few days and therefore haven't given the game a real chance
  3. And to some degree the poor reviews on Steam - this may only be a small contributory factor, but the number of negative reviews in the first few days due to the poor server performance and those reviews remain from those that left in December have hurt the game even up to now, and that's all down to people playing once and leaving a smell on Steam. It's an unfair thing to do, but that's what happened and a lot of people do look at Steam reviews.
  4. Decisions by devs - Now this is of course some level of factor to be included. But although not all decisions by the devs have been greeted with happiness from the players, they have stepped back and reverted certain things that players were very unhappy with, i.e. old age debuff, overlapping of claims etc.

it is time to bring in the build anywhere style of gameplay. That will always be superior. As far as the playershop goes? There better not even be a 1 gold per week upkeep. Not even that. Absolutely free player shops are the only possibility or that whole concept is done.

It already is build anywhere. Yes there is one island owner, and many of the big island are still unclaimed due to cost. But for me it's worked perfectly, i'm on a medium sized island, I've had 2 owners, i've got the space to build, i'm not cramped in like lawless is, my neighbours aren't even in render range from my base unless I run a little distance. There is a lot of space for people to build anywhere, but the reason there is a lot of space is because of those stuck on lawless as they refuse to be a tenant, even though on PvE at least they don't pay tax.

However, I must say there since lawless now has 10 day decay timer on structures, there has become little benefit for living on claimed land, but I have space to breathe and build. Not cramped up like lawless just because people refuse to test the waters.

As for playershops, i've not experimented with that so don't have much to comment on those. However, you say they should not even be 1 gold a week cost, well sorry but I just laugh at that. You can go out on a sloop for a few minutes, find a floatsam and pickup lets say 8 gold. That would pay for a playershop for 8 weeks if it was 1 gold a week. And you would even refuse to accept that? That to me sounds like the type of player that lives on lawless because they refuse to live on a claimed land even though they don't pay taxes and there's more space to build.

it is completely cool you guys have a very small niche of players for the game. No problem with that, but you are going from a game that sold millions of copies(before the release, like 10 million) to where only a few thousand people are even willing to play the game.

you need to get your ship in order and no, that wasn’t a metaphor. You guys are definitely not doing a good job right now.

its getting sad and you really need to stop listening to the people that play the game. There is a reason only a few thousand play it. “Those people” are going to play it regardless. It’s called addiction. They aren’t anywhere even close to the important players. The most important players are the ones that haven’t bought your game yet which I already know that you know that. I mean, who doesn’t want more money right?

There are 3 types of players:

1. Those that currently play
  2. Those that quit playing
  3. Those that have never played

Now all of those are as important as each other. To say the Devs should stop listening to those that play the game is foolish because then that would just mean the devs would be listening to those that have no experience of the game, or those that quit for a multitude of reasons.

The devs don't pick and chose who to listen to based on whether they play, quit playing or don't play.

I'm really enjoying the game, I think the current claim system is much better than the original claim system. Would no claim system be better? No-one can answer that question without testing it, but to test it would require big changes, more wipes, more disruption which would also affect the performance of the game, so no, no-one can say that a no claim system would improve player numbers.

To be honest with you, I don't think anyone, not even the Devs and players know what exactly will increase player count, because no-one can tell whether any change would actually improve player count, and a lot of that is because of the original reasons I stated.... the devs history with ARK turned people off even trying, the initial launch turned people and way and resulted in review bombs.

It's nice that you are thinking that numbers can improve  a lot more with the right decisions, but you can't lay claim to what the right decisions are, hardly any player or non-player can.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Realist said:

Sorry guys but no, it’s not to early to tell anymore. I went ahead and waited awhile(weeks) till I posted this but no, the direction is not good.

You came to that conclusion based on your vast experience playing the game get out of here.

4 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

The low number of players isn't really the result of a claim system in the game. The claim system right now is working perfectly fine. Those that complain about the claim system are those that haven't given the new claim system a try. They've already labeled it as bad without testing the waters. The reason numbers are low and haven't increased as much as hoped since 1.5 is because of several things:

1. The Devs history with ARK - this will be a big contributing factor as to why Atlas hasn't done as well as ARK
  2. The initial EA release with poor server performance - January clearly shows how many people were simply put off because of the poor first few days and therefore haven't given the game a real chance
  3. And to some degree the poor reviews on Steam - this may only be a small contributory factor, but the number of negative reviews in the first few days due to the poor server performance and those reviews remain from those that left in December have hurt the game even up to now, and that's all down to people playing once and leaving a smell on Steam. It's an unfair thing to do, but that's what happened and a lot of people do look at Steam reviews.
  4. Decisions by devs - Now this is of course some level of factor to be included. But although not all decisions by the devs have been greeted with happiness from the players, they have stepped back and reverted certain things that players were very unhappy with, i.e. old age debuff, overlapping of claims etc.

It already is build anywhere. Yes there is one island owner, and many of the big island are still unclaimed due to cost. But for me it's worked perfectly, i'm on a medium sized island, I've had 2 owners, i've got the space to build, i'm not cramped in like lawless is, my neighbours aren't even in render range from my base unless I run a little distance. There is a lot of space for people to build anywhere, but the reason there is a lot of space is because of those stuck on lawless as they refuse to be a tenant, even though on PvE at least they don't pay tax.

However, I must say there since lawless now has 10 day decay timer on structures, there has become little benefit for living on claimed land, but I have space to breathe and build. Not cramped up like lawless just because people refuse to test the waters.

As for playershops, i've not experimented with that so don't have much to comment on those. However, you say they should not even be 1 gold a week cost, well sorry but I just laugh at that. You can go out on a sloop for a few minutes, find a floatsam and pickup lets say 8 gold. That would pay for a playershop for 8 weeks if it was 1 gold a week. And you would even refuse to accept that? That to me sounds like the type of player that lives on lawless because they refuse to live on a claimed land even though they don't pay taxes and there's more space to build.

There are 3 types of players:

1. Those that currently play
  2. Those that quit playing
  3. Those that have never played

Now all of those are as important as each other. To say the Devs should stop listening to those that play the game is foolish because then that would just mean the devs would be listening to those that have no experience of the game, or those that quit for a multitude of reasons.

The devs don't pick and chose who to listen to based on whether they play, quit playing or don't play.

I'm really enjoying the game, I think the current claim system is much better than the original claim system. Would no claim system be better? No-one can answer that question without testing it, but to test it would require big changes, more wipes, more disruption which would also affect the performance of the game, so no, no-one can say that a no claim system would improve player numbers.

To be honest with you, I don't think anyone, not even the Devs and players know what exactly will increase player count, because no-one can tell whether any change would actually improve player count, and a lot of that is because of the original reasons I stated.... the devs history with ARK turned people off even trying, the initial launch turned people and way and resulted in review bombs.

It's nice that you are thinking that numbers can improve  a lot more with the right decisions, but you can't lay claim to what the right decisions are, hardly any player or non-player can.

I actually agree with most of what you said. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying the claim system is the entire reason for numbers dropping. There were a lot of factors like the launch as you said that was responsible for the first drop in players. I am just saying that the claim system and upkeep is the reason for this batch of drop.

i also don’t think that I have the one absolute right decision. The thing is the devs should actually know what will raise numbers because they do have ark to use as a reference. Even though ark left a bad taste for some they still have been able to maintain steady numbers which means something went right throughout all of the wrong.

for instance, small company/tribe servers were very welcomed in ark and we have already seen a lot of people want them. It raised numbers in ark and I am sure it would raise numbers in atlas. This specific point is where I am saying not to listen to current players. Big companies or Megas don’t want that to happen because they know nobody wants to play with them so they will have to break up even more. So what? 

I would bet money if they made a small company server and didn’t have claims they would have a good sized increase and it would be the most populated of the clusters.

these devs make wrong decisions but they do know how to hook players on again. Different map=increase, more tames=increase, small company=increase. 

You are right that because of ark they have a bad rep, but it was because of ark that they have the money for this game. Why abandon something that is clearly a better design. Who knows I might not be right but I guarantee it will end up better than what they are doing now.

I am wholly satisfied with the claim system. I am on PVE and I imagine that it can be frustrating on PVP, but that's what you sign up for with PVP. I would like more PVE objectives to accomplish. I think that each island, or at the minimum each sector, should have a cave system to explore like in ARK. I loved cave adventuring in ARK, even the underwater caves. Tone down the alphas inside and they should be most excellent. 

It's really upsetting that so many people crapped on the game because of prior experience with ARK. The main problem that I see is it's exceptionally difficult for a solo player to succeed beyond basic gameplay, you are required to join a company or form your own group to advance beyond a certain point. What I would like to see is more encouragement and rewards for solo gameplay.

• Like 1

We already know how a no claim system will work. 

Lawless

Ark

Conan

The devs are not concerned with player population now. That has been stated by them.  It's the full release they are working towards. 

I actually enjoy the new claim system. I think the upkeep costs are a bit much for smaller companies, but we still manage with a decent sized island. On a pvp server, we run our timer so it's during our online time, and when most of our company is there, then it's peace time the rest of the time. It works out well, and we were a bit strategic in our decision of where we would be. We have outposts in our allies islands, and on lawless as well, as do most others, so we can get the stuff we need, have the breeding we want, etc.

If anything, this game already outdoes Ark in terms of actual content of things for me to get online and say "hey, what am I gonna do in Atlas today?", I have lots of options, and for an EA game, that is pretty cool. Most EA games have a huge dip after the initial check in, and the server performance did not help, but I will hand it to the crew, they really worked hard and were completely dedicated to getting it fixed ASAP for the players. Sure, some had no patience for it, but I've been in too many EA's and tests to get stressed over a release like that, and in fact, expected it. We're talking 5 months from initial release and they've worked incredibly hard at the game. Have they made decisions I don't like? Oh yeah, like torpedoes, but I'm already planning on working around it, until they fix them. This is EA, and those who aren't here, don't really have a right to toss their two cookies in as far as I'm concerned. Play it, get frustrated, report it, or don't play. It's simple. The company is not going to listen to those who don't speak up, only to those who do, and that means listening to those who actually play the game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Realist said:

its getting sad and you really need to stop listening to the people that play the game.

So listen to the ones like you, who dont even own the game?

• Thanks 1

Game has a lot of problems, but there is *something* there.

People are still playing it, and it has a large viewership on Twitch.

The developers don't seem to be interested in listening to the players though:

-Nerf tames all around

-Do something about cheaters/hackers

-Improve melee and "infantry" combat in general

-Revert the ridiculous "NPC's on cannons/swivels/sails are immune to damage" change

to me its not the claim system which is killing this game.... its all the stupid tamers… like seriousssly!!!???  this game should be renamed to Farm and Tame simulator cus that is what this game has become.. this have NOTHING to do with piracy…. if i says pirates what do you think off??… a bunch of ppl sailing around on Noahs ark attacking islands with their zoo of bear flamethrowers, horse swivel guns and fucking crabs??NO!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! u think of ppl sailing around doing epic ship fights with pistols and swords.. boarding the enemy ships with grappling hooks and brawl it all out!! but no!! we wil lrather focus on making more stupid op tames and ruin whatever little pirate theme there is left?? u really think a gillutine and submarine will amke this more pirat like ? or freaking torpedos or new absurd tames!? why do we need a freaking turtle sub?? WHY???? u should fix this shit game u promised us pirates so stop with this nonsens zootopia theme u got going its getting old !!

19 minutes ago, Ducimus said:

to me its not the claim system which is killing this game.... its all the stupid tamers… like seriousssly!!!???  this game should be renamed to Farm and Tame simulator cus that is what this game has become.. this have NOTHING to do with piracy…. if i says pirates what do you think off??… a bunch of ppl sailing around on Noahs ark attacking islands with their zoo of bear flamethrowers, horse swivel guns and fucking crabs??NO!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! u think of ppl sailing around doing epic ship fights with pistols and swords.. boarding the enemy ships with grappling hooks and brawl it all out!! but no!! we wil lrather focus on making more stupid op tames and ruin whatever little pirate theme there is left?? u really think a gillutine and submarine will amke this more pirat like ? or freaking torpedos or new absurd tames!? why do we need a freaking turtle sub?? WHY???? u should fix this shit game u promised us pirates so stop with this nonsens zootopia theme u got going its getting old !!

If they did that they shouldn’t have base building either because pirates didn’t have miniature towns either. 

Tames are fine. Plus I have said before this isn’t really a pirate game. It’s ark

Before the wipe, I was on a lawless island. It was fun, except for the part where I had to log in once every 4 days or risk losing everything. I would search island to island for several weeks, looking for anywhere to claim. There was never anywhere to claim, every bit of an island was always taken, and there was no telling if anyone was even going to come back to claim that area.

After the wipe, with the new claim system, and after NA PvE servers came back up, I found an island that I was able to claim. I was grateful for the changes to the game, as I no longer had to log in once every 4 days. There was a 76 gold per 12 hour requirement. This merely required doing a few treasure maps, and now I'm at about 90 days before I need to put more gold in. This has allowed me to explore all over the map, looking for resources to build those awesome high level blueprints, and go treasure hunting. I'm finally enjoying the game more fully.

I pass many islands that have not been claimed, and I see even more spaces where anyone can build with messages that say "Settler's welcome!". I have farmed on these islands and have never seen that big of a decrease in resource gathering because of Taxes. I'm just enjoying sailing on the open sea.

To you, with your limited knowledge of the game, it may seem like Ark. But this game is wholly different and I suggest you leave that bubble you are in and get out there and explore.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

If they did that they shouldn’t have base building either because pirates didn’t have miniature towns either. 

Tames are fine. Plus I have said before this isn’t really a pirate game. It’s ark

them having an outpost to return to every now and then is more beleivable than them running around with a pet zoo fight battles... wehn u think or pirates u dont think about naval combat. pistols and epic sword fights? plz explain me what a describtion of pirate life would be in your mind ? and now but it was labelled as a pirate game... they stream telling about this game while being dressed up as pirates… well atleast thats what i thought he might just have weird taste in clothes i dunno anymore….

1 hour ago, Ducimus said:

them having an outpost to return to every now and then is more beleivable than them running around with a pet zoo fight battles... wehn u think or pirates u dont think about naval combat. pistols and epic sword fights? plz explain me what a describtion of pirate life would be in your mind ? and now but it was labelled as a pirate game... they stream telling about this game while being dressed up as pirates… well atleast thats what i thought he might just have weird taste in clothes i dunno anymore….

Sea of thieves pretty much. Shouldn’t be any bases for the weak if you want a real pirate game. No bases whatsoever.

now if there are bases there needs to be at least 100 tames which there will he soon. There is no middle ground at all.

no bases or a lot of tames. That is how it will go

42 minutes ago, Realist said:

Sea of thieves pretty much. Shouldn’t be any bases for the weak if you want a real pirate game. No bases whatsoever.

now if there are bases there needs to be at least 100 tames which there will he soon. There is no middle ground at all.

no bases or a lot of tames. That is how it will go

When will people realize you are just here to start shit.

...and still don't own the game.

30 minutes ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Wow that is a pretty big accusation. A false one at that but regardless, I am here to form the game in a way for it to be good. So far it is alright but it could be good.

i don’t see it being great but I do actually see it being good.

they already announced it for console dude so once it happens I will be playing a lot and giving wayyyyyyy more feedback than I am right now. I stay away from certain threads because I don’t have experience as far as some things go. Once I do have that experience, expect me to be in every single thread, as well as making a lot more.

i don’t settle for subpar. Believe me, I am waiting so bad for console to come out. Can’t wait for the “you don’t own the game” comment to be a thing of the past. Just bidding my time. Say that crap all you can because pretty soon you are going to have to come up with something else 😂

to be honest there is only a couple of people that actually argue with good points towards me. Gonna be bad for the others pretty soon. I’ll put in a lot of hours don’t you worry about that. I’ll know every aspect of the game within a week.

i already have plenty of ideas for the devs without owning the game. Wait till I own it. Millions of ideas are coming. I look forward to your arguments when you need to develop one other than repeating the same thing over and over.

12 hours ago, Dulu said:

Game has a lot of problems, but there is *something* there.

People are still playing it, and it has a large viewership on Twitch.

The developers don't seem to be interested in listening to the players though:

-Nerf tames all around

-Do something about cheaters/hackers

-Improve melee and "infantry" combat in general

-Revert the ridiculous "NPC's on cannons/swivels/sails are immune to damage" change

It has a horrible viewer rate on Twitch, months ago maybe not now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

I’ve probably argued with Realist as much or more than anyone on these forums and while I clearly don’t agree with him on any number of topics I will say that he seems far too genuinely invested in what is going on with Atlas for good or ill to just be a pot stirrer. People just looking to start shit do not put the time and energy into writing the kind of in depth posts that he has contributed  on any number of occasions since day one.

26 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I’ve probably argued with Realist as much or more than anyone on these forums and while I clearly don’t agree with him on any number of topics I will say that he seems far too genuinely invested in what is going on with Atlas for good or ill to just be a pot stirrer. People just looking to start shit do not put the time and energy into writing the kind of in depth posts that he has contributed  on any number of occasions since day one.

Fair enough, I just dont see how you can not own the game and have a good perspective.

Keep in mind, that he played NEVER Atlas before, because he is waiting on Xbox version.

He NEVER played it, NEVER!

• Like 1

Realist is like the 40 Year Old Virgin that gives all Advice how to have Sex 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Fair enough, I just dont see how you can not own the game and have a good perspective.

Well that is often where he and I disagree. Commenting on things like insane shop player rent doesn’t require any play experience,  other things like basic visual layout and appeal can be garnered reasonably well through watching streams or YT videos, but some things really require actual play experience to be able to comment on meaningfully.

Besides, do you know many people who have a good perspective?

On anything? 🤪