twig_masters

Private Server Save Back up? (Duplicating a Server for testing)

I have been been hosting a private server at home for a few weeks now and we have a 1x2 grid (A1 & B1). I decided to try to add 2 more servers to it so we would have a 2x2 grid. We have had problems in the past with the well known "PrimalGameData_BP" infinite loading bug when making changes to the server and we try to connect. So in an attempt to avoid any problems I decided to set up a second install of the server for testing.

I installed a new copy of the server, copied the "shootergame/saved' files over to the new install and then copied the "AtlasTools/RedisDatabase" folder over as well. As far as I know those two directories are all I need. Anyone know if this is right? I launched the new "Test" server and tried to connect but sure enough I get the "PrimalGameData_BP" loading bug. I clear the database using "redis desktop manager" and I can connect but I have to make a new character and then I can see all of our structures and ships are there from the save. The only difference between the two server configurations is they are on different drives.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could be missing? I would rather not have to start over or find that when I add two more grids to the map that is causes more problems. I thought setting up a test server would be a good idea but I can't seem to duplicate what we have on the working server.

So no one knows how to do a proper server back up?

Everything I have tried results in the "PrimalGameData_BP" infinite loading bug. 

I could try adding the new map and extra grids to the working server I have but I don't want to risk messing that server up and loosing all of our progress.

each individual grid has its own folder which it saves to.  if you want to back them up, save those.  to add more maps, just change the grid location of where they load, and make sure the ports are all open.  you can keep the characters by reusing the save files so you don't have to restart.  just don't move any islands on the original areas or it messes everything up. (you'll have floating fish, boats in the land , and floating houses and stuff)

Thank for the reply, I think I found the problem but I can not confirm if it is true or not without more testing.

The original install of my private server was on my "C:" drive. I created a new install for testing on my "D:" drive and copied the save folders, map .json files and the database files over to the new install on "D:". I am not positive but I think the drive letter might be the problem and why I kept getting the "PrimalGameData_BP" loading bug when trying to connect to the test server. 

I have created a new install on my "C:" drive and it is an exact install copy of the original 1x1 grid (two servers) with the exception of the added 2 grids making it a 2x2 grid. This worked fine first time after I copied the save files from the original install. So It leads me to believe the drive letter was the problem possibly in the database. 

I have worked with save files and made back ups before with ARK and it uses a very similar save system with the exception of the REDIS database. So its possible that could be the issue when changing drive letters. 

Again I am just guessing that was the problem since it worked when I made an exact copy for testing on the same drive.