The_Wiesel

Fighting the Hydra and the Dragon

Hey peps,

we are an rather small company of 4 players and we are now rdy to get our hands on the powerstones after we set up our base and fleet the last weeks.
Before we start wasting time and material on that i would be interested in how u peps fights those monsters(tatics, weapons, maybe included tames, aso ) for inspiration to our own fight.

any infos are welcome ๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

Thanks in advance peps!

Get on top of a rock and snipe them with rifles. Dragon is a bit harder but most of the time you can get inside a structure and shot if from there.ย 

Load a back loaded schooner up with Swivels and Ballistas.ย  Drag Hydra out to boat and kite it.ย  Swivels with canister shot does excellent damage to the Hydra.ย  Ballistas do decent damage, but its nice to have both so you can whale hunt in it as well.ย  Makes the boat very versatile.ย 

• Thanks 1

For the Hydra cannons and ballista work quite well.ย  It also helps to start with the center electric attack head then work left to right to finish the heads off.ย  For the dragon we've stuck with carbines to get more hits in to keep aggro as the dragon is far more mobile than the hydra.ย  Obviously higher quality guns make the kill faster.

We had good success with Doc's method using a back loaded Brig with only a top deck to leave lots of room for equipment and animals below.ย  Putting a mast between yourself and the dragon's flame attack or dropping down a ramp into the hold prevents getting set on fire too often.

*Important Tip!*ย  ย If your group is getting help from or working with another group make sure the dragon is between your two ships or at least not on the very far side of the other ship from you when the final kill shot is made.ย  If the dragon is too far away you won't get keys when it dies or you'll inadvertently prevent the other group from getting keys.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing ur experience so far!
We will do our first trys on the weekend trying both kite/Ship tatic and standing on top smw and shooting down the beast.

I will report my/our experience after the weekend here.

One question regarding the ship tactic:

Is the ship taking Dmg from the Hydra or the Dragon or is it just the players that take damage/ is set on fire?

Thx in advance.

Hello,

The ship does not take enough damages to be taken into account (provided you keep ressources for repairing) but you are gonna lose a few npcs if you use them.

I would suggest pulling the dragon to shore close to your boat (for respawn) and in an open space so it does not get stuck. With 4 peoples you should be able to kill it with carabines (we did one with 6 people using less than 50 ammo per person).

For the hydra, pulling to a boat with ballistaes and/or cannons is the faster way but a lot of crews just use firearms and/or bows from heights (if you are high enough, she cant hit you).

Please note that, when pulling, the boss will start to walk/flyย back to spawn point as soon as you loose aggro so it is easier to do with some backup. I know some members of my crew use bows to pull but i find it easier naked.

Best regards.

Albibak

We just have the boats firing on the Hydra and if it losses aggro the crew shoots him with carbines to get him to re-engage.ย ย  Couple times I was able to tag along when they were doing this it was pretty easy.ย  The only reason we lost NPC was the captain of the schooner accidentally anchored and it took forever for the anchor to drop and rise again.ย  Hydra was pounding on his ship the whole time.ย  Was pretty funny listening to the panic in Discord.ย 

Edited by DocHolliday

hey peps,

so we got our hands on the powerstone islands (G3, C6,F8) on the weekend.

G3:

We tried to geht to the ruins on G3 first which is pain in the a** due to the good amount of fireelementals roaming around on the island. We lost some bears to them which was ok. Basically we managed to deal with all the mobs on the island(lions, army of the damned, rock elementals) pretty easy but only the fire elemental remains problematic because of the firecast and the lack of damage we dealed to them. In the End we never saw the dragon on G3 because we were kept busy with the elementals. We tried different things to kill them including kiting them to the shore and shoot them with the cannons from our ships. DMG we made was ~20 with a bow and 35 with a carabine (both masterwork) and ~60 Dmg with small cannons though we sometimes hit them with 800 DMG with the cannons. We couldnt figure out how we dealed 800dmg in comparison to ~60 Dmg. Painfull evening ๐Ÿ˜‰

C6:

On saturday we headed to C6. After we arrived at the island and saw that it has also a lot fire elements we set sails and get the hell out of there and went to F8.

F8:

In comparison with C6 and G3 on F8 it was like easy mode due to the lack of fire elementals ๐Ÿ˜„
We got on land on the southside of the island immediately found the dragon and a suitable spot to fight him underneath a awning from the south ruins where some kind ppl build stairs up to and the dragons fire couldnt reach us. It took us 2 carabines with roughly 100 ammo each and some bows with approx. 500 arrows due to only having common bows. Got the artifact and the powerstone afterwards as well. Yay! ๐Ÿ˜„

Long story short:

ATM it seem the only problem causing bastards are the fire elementals and we couldnt figure out how to deal with them effectively.
So I would be interested how you guys deal with them. Any tips are welcome! Do they have a weekspot or sth?

Thx in advance

so far

The_Wiesel.

ย 

We do the hydras with gliders, climbing picks and bows. Take food, water, repair mats for bows, a tonย Of arrows, it requires patience and you may need a lot of gear for multiple attempts, but once in a good position, the hydra can be killed easily with normal bows.

the best way to deal with fire elementals is to not deal with fire elementals! ๐Ÿ”ฅย 

seriously, avoid them! With practice it gets easier.

46 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

How do you guys kill the dragon ? It can destroy your ship fast ......

I noticed it helps to have more than one ship there - or even a person on shore hiding in a small structure or behind trees and firing at it.ย  That way the dragon spends a fair amount of time flying between and attaching each location allowing the others to attack freely.

Killed the Dragon yesterday on G3.
We kited him to the shore on the westside and did it by foot with carabines. 4 ppl with 4 masterwork carabines and some ammo. took us roughly 30 min.
fire is not that bad because u easily can jump in the water. health packs may help aswell. Our ship was anchored 50m offshore. The dragon didnt mind the ship at all.