Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Cannons need balanced more than ever.

I support the move to put heavy cannons in the gun ports, however, what this does is allow Galleons to have a ton of Heavies.  The good part, is that I suspect that 2 or three maneuvering sails on a Galleon will become the new Meta.  But seriously, the medium cannons now need some love.  They have on advantage, and that is the ability to swivel.  It needs more.  Maybe the same range, and more accuracy, compared to the heavy.  Maybe a higher velocity and flatter trajectory...easier to accomplish with smaller cannon balls.  Maybe faster reload...easier to carry and load smaller cannon balls, than heavy ones.  Maybe a new type of cannon ball for the medium cannons.  A cannon ball that penetrates and then explodes.  RIP to beds, storage and crafting stations inside the ship. Maybe allow a fire bomb for the medium cannons.  Maybe increase the range of the bar shot, to make it more useful.  Maybe add a grapeshot to the medium cannons.

Something needs to be tried, to make them more appealing to the community.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Isn't there already an exploding cannon ball?

I believe so, but it has lower damage, and does not penetrate.  I don't think people have found a legitimate use for them.

As I mentioned before in PVE - the main problem for medium cannons right now, is the trajectory of cannonballs goes parallel to eachother. So if there is damned schooner, or damned ship goes towards you, or it just far away, half your cannonballs will hit the water, because hit area line is just wider than enemies ship. Like that:

kwN3xE0.jpg

So right now I would LOVE to see THE FEATURE that allows me to reduce this hitting line (guns are swivel anyway right?) I'm not saying to shoot the very dot in my cursor (in some cases even this would be useful) but at leas shoot some area closer to the cursor (we don't damage SotD's parts anyway, while in PVP wider range would be usefull, so we MUST control this!).

p.s. - While I never use large cannons and didn't even feel the changes, I do feel that guns SHOULD BE LIMITED IN TO GUNPORTS but for that: DECK, NOSE and STERN gunports are requested. They might be like that:

fin5.jpg

Or even something like that (I'm NOT a photoshop master, but I did my best lol):

0HaOtCg.jpg

Edited by George Catcher

10 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I support the move to put heavy cannons in the gun ports, however, what this does is allow Galleons to have a ton of Heavies.  The good part, is that I suspect that 2 or three maneuvering sails on a Galleon will become the new Meta.  But seriously, the medium cannons now need some love.  They have on advantage, and that is the ability to swivel.  It needs more.  Maybe the same range, and more accuracy, compared to the heavy.  Maybe a higher velocity and flatter trajectory...easier to accomplish with smaller cannon balls.  Maybe faster reload...easier to carry and load smaller cannon balls, than heavy ones.  Maybe a new type of cannon ball for the medium cannons.  A cannon ball that penetrates and then explodes.  RIP to beds, storage and crafting stations inside the ship. Maybe allow a fire bomb for the medium cannons.  Maybe increase the range of the bar shot, to make it more useful.  Maybe add a grapeshot to the medium cannons.

Something needs to be tried, to make them more appealing to the community.

Sometimes i wonder if i play the same game as people comenting here. Medium cannons have more dps, they weight less, they can track targets better, cannon balls weight considerably less. Besides range, the only advantage large cannons had was they could be packed so close together that you had enough alpha damage in one voley to destroy structures so you could use snipe and kite tactics. Now that you have to spread the shots and have seen their damage reduced, they are a worthless piece of junk. I know this things because i had lots of fights, a handling large sail ship cannon schoner could trash most of the old large brigs if you let him get close, not to mention ship cannon brigs...

Edited by znasser

I am not sure, if you place 5 large cannons into the broadside of a Schooner then each volley has around 50% more damage than a regular cannon volley of 5 cannons, correct ?

Plus the range advantage, of course.

Edited by Talono

29 minutes ago, Talono said:

I am not sure, if you place 5 large cannons into the broadside of a Schooner then each volley has around 50% more damage than a regular cannon volley of 5 cannons, correct ?

Plus the range advantage, of course.

Small cannons reload much faster than big ones and can shoot from larger angles. You shoot 1 volley from big cannons but you need to have pretty specific angle. With small cannons you will shoot 2 volleys at minimum while being able to maneuver a bit more. Who knows what meta will be.

If anything nerf all cannons.  Make ship battles last more than 1 or 2 lucky volleys.........  Thats why very few ppl are actually sailing the seas looking for ship combat.  Spend a day building a galley/brig, making cannons ammo, getting npc. Have it sink in 20 seconds, to a rapid reload double volley lol.  Ship battles should last minutes not seconds.  Dont even get me started on  how fast a suicide schooner with a bunch of flamers can sink ships.

If anything nerf all cannons.  Make ship battles last more than 1 or 2 lucky volleys...

That's might happen in PVP. But in PVE mode - some battles may lasts for 20 minutes with couple of maintenance full sails streight.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:49 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I believe so, but it has lower damage, and does not penetrate.  I don't think people have found a legitimate use for them.

I was more mentioning for fixing the current instead of trying to add something new. Also, for the person pointing out they all go parralel instead of to point, I think what they really need to work on is making it so guy auto attack SotD again. They auto attack things while anchored, but you need to right click SotDs to attack them. It makes it really hard to effectively use none one shot builds for that and to use skills like rally the troops.

Really hope they add it again so lots of guns becomes more viable instead of one shot builds.

16 hours ago, Keins Thallow said:

If anything nerf all cannons.  Make ship battles last more than 1 or 2 lucky volleys.........  Thats why very few ppl are actually sailing the seas looking for ship combat.  Spend a day building a galley/brig, making cannons ammo, getting npc. Have it sink in 20 seconds, to a rapid reload double volley lol.  Ship battles should last minutes not seconds.  Dont even get me started on  how fast a suicide schooner with a bunch of flamers can sink ships.

What are you talking about, do you even repair during naval battles? It takes a volley to remove plank/planks but there is a shitton of time between removing plank and sinking a ship.