Myth

Building in water broken in patch - no nearby enemy foundation or shipyards

Posted (edited)

Something with the new 4X radius expansion for enemy foundations in water is utterly bugged.  Was able to place foundations, pillars, and a buoy fine last night and now with no enemy foundations or shipyards anywhere nearby above or below the water - I cannot place new foundations, pillars, roof tiles into the water, or buoys due to the "Too close to enemy foundation" error message.  Even existing ramps into the water cannot be extended. 

Several players searched thoroughly for any non-guild foundations or pillars under the water anywhere in the area.  Nothing.  There are pre-patch guild foundations below the water along the shoreline.  Foundation or any tile cannot be attached to or placed near the existing foundations.  "Too close to an enemy foundation or gate."

Edited by Myth
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

I'm having the same problem. ANYTHING you try build in the water says 'Too close to enemy foundation', but if you scoot it up out the water it's fine. This obviously means I can't build shipyards at all. It has nothing to do with ACTUAL proximity to enemy foundations, it's all to do with whether it's touching water. I have tried everywhere on my island and unless someone pillared every inch of water on my island and was mteiculous to make sure it didn't overlap land, this is a bug.

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am having the exact same issue.  In the middle of my building, I attempted to build foundation within the water and continue to get the "Too close to enemy foundation'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also same issue.  I can lay and stack floors on Land, but not in water, getting the "Too close to enemy foundation" message. Can't even add a submerged floor on top of an existing submerged floor already laid 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a similar issue here, I have some tenants the built in water on a small 15 point island to not block my resource spawns.. now basically I demolished my shipyard to replace with new ones I've built, guess what? I can't cause = TOO CLOSE TO ENEMY FOUNDATION? I just had that shipyard there 5minutes ago.. sigh this is stupid, either let us just prevent people from building on island and just allow 'permitted' players to build  or fix this mess, how about let OWNER of island build anywhere and ignore the enemy foundation stupidity? Idk this is just annoying.. now we are basically screwed, because the tenants have some things that decay for 35 days in water (which is also dumb as hell, why can they even place these long decay things without foundation?)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Eventually after scouring our island, we located the problem. A single thatch floor the other side of the island built by a settler.

To help illustrate the scale of things, I drew a red circle, that entire region was giving the 'Nearby enemy foundation' message because of that one thatch floor. The griefing potential for this is absurd! - A few well hidden pillars could prevent a company from building any shipyards.

9BcccV9.jpg

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Eventually after scouring our island, we located the problem. A single thatch floor the other side of the island built by a settler.

To help illustrate the scale of things, I drew a red circle, that entire region was giving the 'Nearby enemy foundation' message because of that one thatch floor. The griefing potential for this is absurd!

9BcccV9.jpg

And this was confirmed to allow building ? I had had stone floor pop out and now i cant put them back, as well as not able to expand.

Just want to be 110% sure before i start searching and destroying stuff, i am mid Dock building and now i have to stop.

6 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

To help illustrate the scale of things, I drew a red circle, that entire region was giving the 'Nearby enemy foundation' message because of that one thatch floor. The griefing potential for this is absurd! - A few well hidden pillars could prevent a company from building any shipyards.

9BcccV9.jpg

This is completely borked..

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mrcrash said:

And this was confirmed to allow building ? I had had stone floor pop out and now i cant put them back, as well as not able to expand.

Just want to be 110% sure before i start searching and destroying stuff, i am mid Dock building and now i have to stop.

Correct, destroying the settler's structures re-enabled building in the water. Specifically it was preventing construction in water. Even though the settler's thatch floor itself was on land. 

I feel bad for all those settlers who claim that land-owners are abusive and waiting for an excuse to demolish their stuff... this is a legitimate reason to evict people 😛

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Correct, destroying the settler's structures re-enabled building in the water. Specifically it was preventing construction in water. Even though the settler's thatch floor itself was on land. 

I feel bad for all those settlers who claim that land-owners are abusive and waiting for an excuse to demolish their stuff... this is a legitimate reason to evict people 😛

Yeah, that is the thing.. land owners DO WANT settlers on their islands. We just need better tools to manage it and keep it all under control. While now.. any person that feels like being an a-hole, he can go and drop a bunch of pillars where he can around island and island gets boned 😕  We cant even highlight structures of other people on island to help us know where is what..

• Thanks 1

From tonights v104.31 Patch Notes

- The extra Water-structure foundation checks now only check against other Water-structures, and do not apply for Settlement Owners

Hopefully that will resolve most of the issues.  Though where there are pre-existing in-water structures with overlaping check distances it could still be problematic.

I'm able to build in the water again.  As far I could tell the only nearby non-guild foundations were a small building another guild had placed on the island a fair ways from where I was building - though easily within the massive radius size RZs post indicated.

As this is a bug report thread Depressedsailor please provide details of what isn't working for you instead of nonconstructive comments.

Seriously? There have been 3 people in this thread just writing "same here" but you shout out to me for beeing "nonconstructive" as  I note that the bug is still persistent for me as a Settlement Owner despite the patchlog stating otherwise.

Whatever, there just was another Patch which fixed it for me aswell.

yea they broke the game the island i am on isnt even claimed and now i cant work on my dock anymore 

I can't build a shipyard anywhere, if it's not for nearby foundations/gate it's "obstructed" when there is clearly no obstruction.

Posted (edited)

Keep in mind that the shipyards now have a way bigger area check than other parts since v104.14

- Any structure that checks for enemy foundations when placed in water now has a 4x enemy foundation check radius (such as pillars and shipyards)

And whatever you do, if you already have a shipyard placed, you might not be able to replace it if you rip it up, even if it is in the same spot.

Edited by ThaynTheGamer

Posted (edited)

the message is "obstructed" (not the nearby foundations) and that goes for foundations and anything else too. So, no, that's not the case. There is an issue with building in water.

edit: PvE server

Edited by Dragone

Posted (edited)

Based on EU PVE lawless Island and this is becoming a nightmare due to the change. You practically can not build anywhere on the water line of the island due to spammed foundations and pillars that have now overlapped previously placed foundation "claimed areas" making it impossible to expand or finish building existing projects.

I have noticed that I can place foundations sometimes where I can not place a pillar, but I still hit the issue with foundations soon enough when expanding and as my main base expands out from the coast, I use a lot of pillars to support the entire structure. 

Just to add to this, the bug that was apparently hot fixed like so many others, where ceilings are still collapsing for no reason. Watch out as several can disappear in one go and take entire walls/ doorways and anything else attached with it. Whether this is associated I am unsure however it feeds into the initial issue as I can't replace these fallen pieces or add extra support, which does seem to help in some cases with the fallen ceilings. 

Edited by TripZ
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2019 at 9:03 AM, Dragone said:

the message is "obstructed" (not the nearby foundations) and that goes for foundations and anything else too. So, no, that's not the case. There is an issue with building in water.

edit: PvE server

This is the case for the OP. For your problem you'll need to open your own post 😉

We've also found that sometimes someone was able to place a pillar or foundation in such a manner that only a very small piece of it sticks out, which could easily be missed. Try using a different camera perspective which often allows you to look through the terrain, which might reveal the hidden construction.

Edited by ThaynTheGamer

On 5/12/2019 at 3:37 PM, ThaynTheGamer said:

Keep in mind that the shipyards now have a way bigger area check than other parts since v104.14

- Any structure that checks for enemy foundations when placed in water now has a 4x enemy foundation check radius (such as pillars and shipyards)

And whatever you do, if you already have a shipyard placed, you might not be able to replace it if you rip it up, even if it is in the same spot.

Nope that isnt it either i posted this bug a month ago its still not fixed. I destroyed my shipyard to build a bigger one well cant do that even though I have a foundation building next to it.  There is no other base nearby or foundation i cannot build in water. I have my base in the water as it is If i wanted to add a pillar under to reinforce it , it shows as foundation to close but if i build the same pillar above it on a ceiling i can build.