Detonator

No Large Cannons on Deck

Now they just need to introduce a cannon emplacement building piece, like a ceiling but with ropes, chocks, powder keg and brass monkeys.

To make it look like a cannon should be placed there.

• Like 1

I don't mind the change, all cannons should be removed from back anyway. I always use side cannons as intended. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UDO said:

EARLY ACCESS when u play u accept u may or may not lose everything or part of everything , stop with the whine whine we lost resources and go build more ...

Even if it wasn't you usually sign Eulas and crap saying they can do anything they want and all you can do is whine about it, but that's besides the point. The point is people have been working during weeks to build those ships wasting tens even hundreds of hours hunting bps and leveling ships that cannot be used the way the designed them for, and they haven't had the chance to say 'fuck it, in one week this crap will be worthless lets have fun with it untill it sinks'. I mean they can do whatever they want, it's their game, it happens in every game, even though i disagree with this one, games need changes all the time so it doesn't become boring. How it happened is the problem, they could have anounced this changes as part of the may update and people wouldn't be so buthurt about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, znasser said:

Even if it wasn't you usually sign Eulas and crap saying they can do anything they want and all you can do is whine about it, but that's besides the point. The point is people have been working during weeks to build those ships wasting tens even hundreds of hours hunting bps and leveling ships that cannot be used the way the designed them for, and they haven't had the chance to say 'fuck it, in one week this crap will be worthless lets have fun with it untill it sinks'. I mean they can do whatever they want, it's their game, it happens in every game, even though i disagree with this one, games need changes all the time so it doesn't become boring. How it happened is the problem, they could have anounced this changes as part of the may update and people wouldn't be so buthurt about it.

You cant use leveled ship, you can't use planks, sails etc.? Man, its just large cannons. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Willard said:

You cant use leveled ship, you can't use planks, sails etc.? Man, its just large cannons. 

Theres a pic on reddit of a level 52 brig, with like 5000 extra weight points, almost no resistance points. So you tell me that guy can retrofit his ship to ship cannons for example? or he can just change the Large cannons on top and place them in gun ports and its pretty much the same thing? I disagree. There's a streamer on twitch i watch regularly that had pretty much the same issue that this guy on reddit, but on top of that he just replaced the night before the cannons for a high damage legen ones, he's given up on the game obviously.  I don't even have that problem, as i said before i've lost my brig the other day and haven't had the time to make a new one. Even if i disagree with the change, i understand they have to try to balance things, but i also think a major change like this could have been handled much better. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, znasser said:

Theres a pic on reddit of a level 52 brig, with like 5000 extra weight points, almost no resistance points. So you tell me that guy can retrofit his ship to ship cannons for example? or he can just change the Large cannons on top and place them in gun ports and its pretty much the same thing? I disagree. There's a streamer on twitch i watch regularly that had pretty much the same issue that this guy on reddit, but on top of that he just replaced the night before the cannons for a high damage legen ones, he's given up on the game obviously.  I don't even have that problem, as i said before i've lost my brig the other day and haven't had the time to make a new one. Even if i disagree with the change, i understand they have to try to balance things, but i also think a major change like this could have been handled much better. 

again EA players need to stop playing the game like things are permanent , they are not , play this as if tommorrow everything could be gone or changed , then players wont get so butt hurt when changes happen 

• Like 3

i love the change, TY devs for listening most of the negative posts are from people who have ships they now have to change. i have to change to but i am happy to change

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, UDO said:

again EA players need to stop playing the game like things are permanent , they are not , play this as if tommorrow everything could be gone or changed , then players wont get so butt hurt when changes happen 

I'd love to see how many people would be willing to sink so many hours in a game like this doing boring and repetitive task knowing that all the goodstuff they get in exchange could be gone or be useless overnight because of a dev decision.

1 minute ago, znasser said:

I'd love to see how many people would be willing to sink so many hours in a game like this doing boring and repetitive task knowing that all the goodstuff they get in exchange could be gone or be useless overnight because of a dev decision.

For example I enjoy killing sotds, leveling ships, building ships, trying new builds and figuring out what is the best build for pvp. It doesn't matter how much time I invested in it because I enjoyed the process. On PvP i can lose that ship in a naval battle and puff, all those hours gone, I can start again. I know maybe for PvE players it seems like a total loss but for PvP? We sunk 2 gallys and 6 brigs 3 days ago. They need to rebuild again.

Imagine you not only lose your large cannons but whole fleet. Patch hit only those cannons.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Willard said:

For example I enjoy killing sotds, leveling ships, building ships, trying new builds and figuring out what is the best build for pvp. It doesn't matter how much time I invested in it because I enjoyed the process. On PvP i can lose that ship in a naval battle and puff, all those hours gone, I can start again. I know maybe for PvE players it seems like a total loss but for PvP? We sunk 2 gallys and 6 brigs 3 days ago. They need to rebuild again.

Imagine you not only lose your large cannons but whole fleet. Patch hit only those cannons.

You can't treat it like its a loss in pvp because it's not, that's the whole point. If i haven't said it already  im a pvp guy, i spent most of my post wipe time in golden age servers like M12 and D12, if you play around that area there's a big chance we've exchanged planks. I'm not afraid to lose my ship in pvp, in fact i lost it days before that change, and i would be very pissed if i hadn't and have lost it to this change.

Just my 5 Cent on the change as a general feedback to this topic:

I personally appriciate the change since I`m never was a fan of that shotgun ships with front or back cannonstructures. In my opinion it broke naval warfare also in PVE. Maybe because of I`m used to fight with cannonports i dont see the big issue with the change. I run a Brig with journeyman planks and journeyman small canons (6 eachs side) and I`m able to fight SotD packs in every combination solo + npc crew. The only thing i always hated was the spoiltime of the loot since the fights can take some time depending on the amount and the size of the ships I`m fighting against. So most of the time the loot was gone when i was done with the fight. I hope thats a problem of the past now since the increased the spoiltime now. Fighting without back cannons for me was mainly about avoiding incomming damage via good angle of my ship vs. target and a good navigation with the direction of the wind.

PS: I rarely loosing planks completly in fights, mostly i have leaking planks which i can repair also solo.

• Like 1

I run a Brig with journeyman planks and journeyman small canons (6 eachs side) and I`m able to fight SotD packs in every combination solo + npc crew.

Same here. Just... I use Brig with 4 xtra cannons each side. The highest Galley I down so far is lvl-26. Highest fleet of 7 at once (they were Schooners lvl-3, lvl-4, lvl-12 and lvl-17 and Brigs lvl-2, lvl-10 and lvl-13) But I actually was a bit damaged after that last fight and went back with just 2 sails : )) Before wipe the Highest SotD I down was lvl-36 and lvl-24 at once.

What I do wanna say - I personally don't feel all those shotguns are really required in PvE.

(the only feature I do want to - is to control spread of cannons hit area. Right now it's just too wide and in most cases I need it more compact).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Now they just need to introduce a cannon emplacement building piece, like a ceiling but with ropes, chocks, powder keg and brass monkeys.

To make it look like a cannon should be placed there.

I actually weirdly agree that this would be a cool idea. Not sure if you were being sarcastic when you posted it. But props on a cool sounding concept

I agree that the large cannon became the meta. It required zero creativity. Shotgun ships are also a meta. Zero creativity. So little creativity that literally every ship I’ve sailed past in the last week was doing the exact same thing. You can still use regular ship cannons on deck so now it just means you can’t exploit the kiting meta anymore. I don’t mind this at all. Kiting is cheesey as all hell. 

Just my opinion. 

Edited by Polar Express

I did test around in PVP today to find the new META : It is definitly a regular cannon shotgun ship.

The large cannon shotgun ship is dead : LONG LIVE THE REGULAR CANNON SHOTGUN SHIP !

Large cannons in gunports is not a good idea, the range is not MUCH better, the damage 50% better, but reload a lot longer. Worst fact : Missing swivel ist preventing targeting.

So galleon with 500 front guns, one shot, game over.

Maybe for balance it would be a good thing to give large cannons a small firing arc and slow turning speed compared to normal cannons. Its quiet hard to align your ship for an extend period of time. And still i wish cannons would have a spread and not hit exactly where you aim its not sniper rifles ;)

Well maybe the devs are working on weigh allocation for ships so you have to place your cannons and freight evenly around your ship if you dont want to stall or turn over. Could come together with ships having a draft depending on weight and water inside the ship so they dont act like a sponge which seems rather like a temporary system, i hope. Than they could remove such limitations again.

I play on a private rp server, aside the cost to build only other thing that concerns me is this promoting the galleon as a meta. Honestly irl there where more schoonies than anything else cause they where quick and could out maneuver but atlas supports the neanderthal "me hit with bigger or more weapon" making any other playstyle pointless. Devs make schoonies faster than galleons despite sail ill change my mind but till then dont bother arguing plz.

• Like 1

My problem is there was just a wipe most players didn't want. This change should of been part of that patch. Once again they take away people's hard work that had just recouped themselves from the wipe and give them nothing in return for having to destroy their canons or ship levels they would of used differently. Get your plan together actually ask the community and start balancing pve and pvp seperatly if you want new players  to come in and pay for your official servers.

11 hours ago, Polar Express said:

I actually weirdly agree that this would be a cool idea. Not sure if you were being sarcastic when you posted it. But props on a cool sounding concept

Nope, not being sarcastic, just echoing a sugestion a made back in March.

Gun decks look so empty, placing a cannon in a gunport should add all the paraphernalia associated with a cannon around it.

Conversly if placing a cannon not at a gunport, having a custom build piece that had all the paraphernalia to snap a cannon to fits this concept.

Once you have a build piece like this, you can easily set rules for placement - eg. don't want stacked cannons, make it obstruct ceilings above it.

• Thanks 1

Just nerf the large cannon damage to hell. Keep them longer range but make them weaker than ships cannons and make the ammo weigh the same as ship cannons. Like a long cannon (long range) that way if you want a dps ship you will need  to get into real cannon range and be prepared to actually receive damage in return for dealing it. This will make large cannons (long cannon) into an option for players who are trying to get away from aggressors by using bar shot if they are being chased by MLG douschebags that try to sink everything they see. 

3 hours ago, Yomaz said:

My problem is there was just a wipe most players didn't want. This change should of been part of that patch. Once again they take away people's hard work that had just recouped themselves from the wipe and give them nothing in return for having to destroy their canons or ship levels they would of used differently. Get your plan together actually ask the community and start balancing pve and pvp seperatly if you want new players  to come in and pay for your official servers.

Hard Work? Playing a video game lmfao...

On 5/8/2019 at 5:45 AM, Rangabeard said:

There goes the mythical cannons....and has now made galleons virtually the only ship to tackle 

For solo maybe but now you can configure a fleet instead of a ship like we have 9 people sotd fleets with vs 2 galleons 4 brigs and 3 schooners easy day and it makes things very  fun because it's not easy

• Like 1

i don't mind this change, but i am not looking forward to what will inevitably follow. if people are forced to engage in broadside battles and not just kite their way to victory you will start seeing a lot more "tank" brigs to compensate. i really dislike the "tank" meta even more than the shotgun meta. it's hideous!

after all, give me this any day

G4tXgeK.jpg

over this abomination...

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

I built a ship. 

I swam in an adventure.

My weapon stopped working.

Spoil the mood again.

Just update a negative review in Steam😡

Edited by Konvar
  • Haha 1