Detonator

No Large Cannons on Deck

I understand that these changes will be relevant to balance the PVP mode but in the PVE mode will only be to frustrate and with that to amaze even more players.

You playing solo with your brigantine/schonner come across five SOTD that come out of nowhere because of reduced view distance and lose everything ...

They should try to balance/improve the small cannons not do these shit.

These devs seem to want to get rid of the players at all costs on their own. Fixing the bugs that have been there since day 1 is left out but fuc*** with the solo players is the priority.

I now doubt who will be able to fight with SOTD Squad in the Golden Age alone now.

How place large cannons now?

20190508092127-1.jpg

Edited by Rising
add image

The major issue is that the current ship design is inadequate. That is why people used large cannons. But instead of working towards ship design adequacy, devs have chosen the easy way - ban the alternatives. 

Wise ppl have said that no matter how much you perfume a shit, it will remain shit.

You playing solo with your brigantine/schonner come across five SOTD that come out of nowhere because of reduced view distance and lose everything ...

2 hours ago, Rangabeard said:

There goes the mythical cannons....and has now made galleons virtually the only ship to tackle SOTD.

ROFL...Someone should have told me and the folks I play with.  I cleaned three grids of squads in my brig last night...and it ONLY has medium cannons in gunports.  

You sail with some competence and you kill them...

Edited by Mithrian
  • Like 2

Those of you saying you can’t fight SOTD groups without front or rear facing cannons need to come sail with some of us who do.  Those who say it can’t be done shouldn’t get in the way of those who are already doing it.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Those of you saying you can’t fight SOTD groups without front or rear facing cannons need to come sail with some of us who do.  Those who say it can’t be done shouldn’t get in the way of those who are already doing it.

Upvoted all the times I can! 

Just now, Mithrian said:

ROFL...Someone should have told me and the folks I play with.  I cleaned three grids of squads in my brig last night...and it ONLY has medium cannons in gunports.  

You sail with some competence and you kill them...

yes but since someone who started a game on that weekday can not be as competent as you?

And by all means cleaning a grid with SOTD Level 1 is completely different from a Golden Age

Nobody dares to think about others even is that old phrase that says:

"First me, second me, third me" and fu** all the rest

Edited by Rising

Just now, Daemon Cross said:

If you are talking about PVP I can agree with you as I said in my post. but what or who prevents you from continuing what you always did if you play PVE?

The easy STOD killing machine is gone, now show creativity and build something new. 

3 hours ago, Detonator said:

... for me this is the reason I play these games because sometimes the person that dares to be different can do good and.

Everyone was doing the cannon shotguns, so, what was so different about that? :7

There is still a creative factor, just the EZ mode for SOTD is gone, for example we made a galley built only for taming and moving large cargo, we removed most of the decks and made a huge space in the middle that can easily fit about 8 elephants...but not 9 archers (Age of empires reference).

If we are looseing the ability to place large canons anywhere but gun ports thsts fine, I can embrace change and evolve my play style.  but stop SoTDs from gathering/ spawing/ moving in packs.  If I have to broadside SoTDs to fight last thing I want is 50+ cannon balls from SoTD Gallion and two brigs comming at me.  I dont mind a fair fight,  I dont mind the chance of looseing my ship, just give me the opportunity for a 1v1 with SoTDs.  not trying g to fight a pack everytime.

Also, change the NPC AI crew so one NPC is responsible for the left and right gun port at a time. 6 NPC crew should be able to man all 12 gun ports on a brig, or 5 NPC crew should man all 10 ports on a schooner.

Also, a better way to stop the shotgun meta would be any cannon not in a gun port doubles weight X the number of cannons.   so if a cannon is 100LB, the 2nd cannon not in a port is 200lb.  the 3rd is 400lb,  the 5th is 800lb,  the 6th is 1600lb and so on.  Now you have a risk vs reward for non conventional cannon placement.

Edited by TyGeR_STD
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rising said:

yes but since someone who started a game on that weekday can not be as competent as you?

And by all means cleaning a grid with SOTD Level 1 is completely different from a Golden Age

Nobody dares to think about others even is that old phrase that says:

"First me, second me, third me" and fu** all the rest

Said nothing about a new player...they'll figure it out eventually.   I also said nothing about Level 1 ships...in fact, I picked up the quest skill for Scourged of the Damned last night...level 50 Galleon with my traditional brig.  Was it easy?  NO...but it was challenging and satisfying.  

Where is the fun gameplay in sailing in a straight line kiting something for 30 minutes while NOT RISKING anything?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TyGeR_STD said:

If we are looseing the ability to place large canons anywhere but gun ports thsts fine, I can embrace change and evolve my play style.  but stop SoTDs from gathering/ spawing/ moving in packs.  If I have to broadside SoTDs to fight last thing I want is 50+ cannon balls from SoTD Gallion and two brigs comming at me.  I dont mind a fair fight,  I dont mind the chance of looseing my ship, just give me the opportunity for a 1v1 with SoTDs.  not trying g to fight a pack everytime.

Also, change the NPC AI crew so one NPC is responsible for the left and right gun port at a time. 6 NPC crew should be able to man all 12 gun ports on a brig, or 5 NPC crew should man all 10 ports on a schooner.

They are not that hard to kill even with broadside, just spec lots of levels into resistance and keep a few spare planks aboard the ship. You can lure them out and they will start spreading appart making them easier targets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cidran said:

They are not that hard to kill even with broadside, just spec lots of levels into resistance and keep a few spare planks aboard the ship. You can lure them out and they will start spreading appart making them easier targets. 

But by time I've spread them out, and killed them,  I've either lost the loot the first few dropped or cant find it, or its disappeared.

• Like 1

Some people like me prefer efficiency , you call it cheap way to fight we called it best way for saving materials , instead of wasting materials to repair guarantee damage after every fight those materials could be use for something better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TyGeR_STD said:

But by time I've spread them out, and killed them,  I've either lost the loot the first few dropped or cant find it, or its disappeared.

Don't kill them, just weaken them, do hit and run until they can easily be killed. 

Do you play solo? it's just a guess and would like to know. 

Some people like me prefer efficiency , you call it cheap way to fight we called it best way for saving materials , instead of wasting materials to repair guarantee damage after every fight those materials could be use for something better.

It's just a way to remove the risk from the battle; one thing I do see as an issue is the unfair advante the SOTD has. They can basically do 360 no scope, I haven't been able to find and angle were they cannot fire back at you. I went to kill a galleon last night, tried hitting the thing from the back and got pretty close to it, to my surprise ALL the cannons fired at once at the same spot on my ship, lost two plank on that run, if the ships had a slower turn ration and didn't fire all over the place they may become a fair fight where this tactics are not needed. 

Edited by cidran
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cidran said:

Don't kill them, just weaken them, do hit and run until they can easily be killed. 

I'm in a company, but do go out solo a good bit because a lot of my game time is not durning prime time when most ppl are on

15 minutes ago, cidran said:

It's just a way to remove the risk from the battle; one thing I do see as an issue is the unfair advante the SOTD has. They can basically do 360 no scope, I haven't been able to find and angle were they cannot fire back at you. I went to kill a galleon last night, tried hitting the thing from the back and got pretty close to it, to my surprise ALL the cannons fired at once at the same spot on my ship, lost two plank on that run, if the ships had a slower turn ration and didn't fire all over the place they may become a fair fight where this tactics are not needed. 

Try dead on the nose of the galleon 😉

1 minute ago, Mithrian said:

Try dead on the nose of the galleon 😉

Never tried to broadside a galleon before, logic told me the back was the safest way to get close to it xD; I was very very wrong  xD

4 hours ago, Detonator said:

This one is kind of game ending for me tbh, In my opinion this takes all the variety and versatility out of the game, for me this is the reason I play these games because sometimes the person that dares to be different can do good and.  I honestly hope this one gets changed back personally.

just build a galleon and put them in the gunports problem fixed

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Megalithic said:

just build a galleon and put them in the gunports problem fixed

There we go someone using their head... ya the ones with brains in it....

• Like 1

Love this Changes. never used large cannons so i dont care much 🙂

Now the "Kite and Shoot Hydra" will go away. More Strategy and forcing more Corporation between players 🙂

• Like 1

These changes are really bad, nerfing positioning as well as reducing their damage.

they should have doubled the weight of large cannons on top deck or gave them some sort of increased decay rate or both and that would have balanced the use of them topside.

for all of you pointing out that its more realistic. keep in mind there is little to nothing realistic about this game.

submarines, torpedeos, mythical fantasy creatures. face the thruth, this is not a pirate ship game, its a pirate "themed" game and don't forget about the futuristic looking, non sail using nuclear powered sods.

if they expect people to shoot lvl 55+ sods broadside they need to get rid of SOD clusters and go back to single sod ships roaming. not even a galleon will stand a change in a broadside fight vs 2 lvl 58sods, AND MAKE THEM SHOOT ONLY BROADSIDE TOO!!.

All they did was make it impossible for a single player to solo any high lvl sods. Unless they start providing us with NPCs we can use to do ship repairs while still sailing. In the form of a skill or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I really hate the mass fleets from SOTD. Its not that they shoot to many bullets on my boradsider - its a pain in the ass to loot npc's and the chest when you fight and sunk them one by another.

Iam fine with the shotgun front/back meta, easy targets for me in seafights.

5 hours ago, Detonator said:

This one is kind of game ending for me tbh, In my opinion this takes all the variety and versatility out of the game, for me this is the reason I play these games because sometimes the person that dares to be different can do good and.  I honestly hope this one gets changed back personally.

This is how ships were typically built IRL though, because of the additional stress having those larger heavy cannons on the upper decks would cause. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to limited numbers of large cannons on the upper decks, based on the ship class. Also, we still need fore and aft gun ports, especially after a change like this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nokim said:

These changes are really bad, nerfing positioning as well as reducing their damage.

they should have doubled the weight of large cannons on top deck or gave them some sort of increased decay rate or both and that would have balanced the use of them topside.

for all of you pointing out that its more realistic. keep in mind there is little to nothing realistic about this game.

submarines, torpedeos, mythical fantasy creatures. face the thruth, this is not a pirate ship game, its a pirate "themed" game and don't forget about the futuristic looking, non sail using nuclear powered sods.

if they expect people to shoot lvl 55+ sods broadside they need to get rid of SOD clusters and go back to single sod ships roaming. not even a galleon will stand a change in a broadside fight vs 2 lvl 58sods, AND MAKE THEM SHOOT ONLY BROADSIDE TOO!!.

All they did was make it impossible for a single player to solo any high lvl sods. Unless they start providing us with NPCs we can use to do ship repairs while still sailing. In the form of a skill or something. 

Exactly and they say that the game must be more "realistic"... but that of you here already did it in the life?

vladimir-putin-riding-bear.jpg

2 hours ago, Rising said:

If you are talking about PVP I can agree with you as I said in my post. but what or who prevents you from continuing what you always did if you play PVE?

Those who’ve been a part of these forums for awhile and have seen my previous post already knows I don’t pvp.  

So your saying pve players ( solo pve players) can’t take on the SOTD without front or rear facing cannons?  Rethink your fighting technique and I’m sure you can come up with a way you can. You may have your render distance to close otherwise just plan your attack. I carry normally 6 gp’s and 4 rp’s, extra steering wheel, bucket and repair hammer with plenty of resources for bad situations. I also place all points into Sturdiness and skill up the reduced sinking rate. I’ve sailed a long way with what appeared to be just the skeleton of the ship. It sank of course but it was still amazing.

• Like 1