Dully

Fog on the see

I never see it all the time I think its just right. Maybe you are in a foggy location.

Maybe it's more severe in some places. All I know it that fog or cold front (which is also basically fog) occurs literally every 10 minutes in polar and tundra.

• Like 2

Most of time it's in Tundra and Polar.

I once saw 4 fog waves and 1 coldwave, which is also dramatically reduces visibility, within 24 ingame hours. It was like that - I entered H2 for 2 treasure maps.

- After I entered - 1st fog came. By the time I hit 1st island - fog was gone.

- I then got Damned Army. Dig treasure. Went to discovery and before I departure - 2nd fog wave appear. 

- By the time I hit 2nd island - fog was gone. I again got treasure, search for discovery, and, before I departure - coldwave hit the area. I stayed on island, gather some resources, did maintenance of ship, cocked some dish, and due to long time of coldwave - I decided to departure anyway, hoping, it will pass in a moment.

- I raised full sails and... 3rd fog wave hit the area. I laugh - I just couldn't help myself. With 0 visibility, I sailed to the border. In the middle of the map - there was clear and shiny weather, but... well, the moment before I cross - 4rd fog wave came...

I don't like - how often it happening. I also checked - within 24 ingame hours "clear" weather lasts for just 6 hours... I never saw fog drops less than 3 times per day.

• Like 1

Yeah the weather events are quite annoying and happen way to often.  Should be rarer events.  Last week I had 4 engagements in a row end with me losing the enemy ship because of weather events.  3 of those being fog.  Kinda hard chasing people down you can't see.  Pissed me off.

I don't mind fog, it's eerie. 

Ship-in-fog.png

What I do exceptionally hate is the fact that NPC / SoTD, are immune to it...   they hit you through a wall of fog thick enough to be able to spread butter on it.

IF fog had utility against SoTD, and you could use it to escape, then i'd be super happy...  but it's a one way mirror, and we, human players, get the mirror side.

• Haha 1

To get rid of cold front fog turn your sky quality down to 0 and you will get none at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2019 at 3:25 AM, Vorxius said:

I don't mind fog, it's eerie. 

Ship-in-fog.png

What I do exceptionally hate is the fact that NPC / SoTD, are immune to it...   they hit you through a wall of fog thick enough to be able to spread butter on it.

IF fog had utility against SoTD, and you could use it to escape, then i'd be super happy...  but it's a one way mirror, and we, human players, get the mirror side.

This could be so cool if SOTDs came out of the fog like this, imagine a localized cloud and having all the ships come out of it.  😧

The Fog really is ridiculous in tundra/polar. It feels like it is every 10 minutes. It just gets old. 

• Like 1

The sextant buff will help because of the mini map, you can see the island. That won't help with SOTDS, though.

As a resident of the Tundra, I have to agree. The Fog/coldfronts would be nice 1once a day. But several times within the same hour, I literally just pull up sails and afk. if theres an island near I park. 

Fog IRL is extremely headache inducing, You have nailed this effect in-game perfectly, But it comes far to often. I live on the coast and deal with fog once daily Irl. to have to log ingame and deal with it 20 more times, really fucking blows. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, SIEGEGUN said:

The Fog really is ridiculous in tundra/polar. It feels like it is every 10 minutes. It just gets old. 

If there was some kind of auditory tell associated with whales, I would be fine with heavy fog in the polar/tundra, but they are way too dangerous to accident upon. In all the other zones, I just full-sail power through it and enjoy the adrenaline rush. Actually, thinking about it, even Polar is okay by me, because you at least get a healthbar to know one is coming at you.

I like the fog, I like the rain, I like the tornadoes, I like the hot and cold shifts.  If I didnt have to worry about something this game would be mind numbing.  Sailing already is to easy.  

I miss dodging tornadoes every time it rained ( I didnt and still dont like that they come on land).  Add in starting to freeze while in the rain and now I'm feeling like I survived a challenge when I get out the other side.  Currently I dont see tornadoes all that much.  I know its annoying,  and honestly I get mad every time I see them and say why now, but if they aren't there I'm on auto pilot watching YouTube or something else.

I also think that SotD should be more frequent of an encounter.   If someone is farming them and killing them in a zone their spawn rate should increase as well as potential for higher levels to spawn.  Then there is a point to killing the lower level SotD.  We had a storm with tornadoes pop up while doing the lvl 50 galleon achievement and that was so much fun.  We are still talking about it.  

I agree the short arrow wind sucks.  I wish there was an accordion song to boost wind up to a capped max point or something.  Also sail BP actually working and giving the correct speed, velocity,  etc boosts would make things better as well.

The solo game is going to keep you closer to a base.  We have a company of 16ish, and we mainly stay in a 5 square area minus weekends.  Some of us can sail more than others.  It is part of the game and we understand that.  I think the game is to easy not to hard, thats why people are bored sailing.  I think solo players have an expectation of being able to do everything including mythical BP fast.  If you are going solo you can do everything, it just takes longer.

I will agree though that a notification of sorts that the weather is shifting BEFORE the weather shifts would be nice.  Something like a zone wide message pop up saying the wind is shifting and the smell of rain fills the air, etc 5 min before the rain comes.  Then people who dont want to sail in the rain have time to get to an island.  If tornadoes are coming it can say strong winds etc.

The whole weather system is scrap!

- The effects follow each other too fast
- The effects overlap
- The cold front obstructs the view like fog and also causes ugly effects on transparent objects
- Tornadoes are generated per player and are far too many

• Like 1