Mr Putts

Please give us placeable roads.

Something that is not resource heavy like a brown texture that is on the land that will block spawns of trees within a certain distance so the tames you require us to play with can atleast move freely since their pathing is garbage at times 

• Like 7

To add to this.

I'd like stone roads. Something like a stone foundation but isn't a foundation for building on and can fit to the surface its placed on.

This would be great for building towns and  roads to areas you harvest metal etc. And it looks better that a cart running up and over rocks small and large.

• Like 2

Roads that block resource spawn withow cost would become a weapon immediately. 

Just use foundations and ramps.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 5:39 PM, Chucksteak said:

While I like the idea, Chucksteak is right on this.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:39 PM, Chucksteak said:

So make a cost to build them.  That makes it no different than blocking resource spawn with foundations and ramps.  From a building perspective, placing a bazillion foundations is a rotten way to spend a lot of hours, and being separate pieces, it causes a lot of lag.  (Not to mention that getting the things to snap into each other and follow the land contours, avoiding resource spawns, makes it nearly impossible at times.)

3 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

So make a cost to build them.  That makes it no different than blocking resource spawn with foundations and ramps.  From a building perspective, placing a bazillion foundations is a rotten way to spend a lot of hours, and being separate pieces, it causes a lot of lag.  (Not to mention that getting the things to snap into each other and follow the land contours, avoiding resource spawns, makes it nearly impossible at times.)

I dont think anyhting actually block resources spawning. It just gets covered up. Regardless,  I'm not sure how different a road would be compared to foundations.

While it would look cool if it was contoured to match the ground I can see this being abused and taking a sizeable effort on the devs part to implement.  Static structures that snap into place versus something that needs to change shape based off the contours of the map are totally different.  Each one would need a custom shape and hitbox.  If can be done, but I am betting that would be quite a bit of strain on the servers and their network as all that extra data is transmitted to clients. 

28 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

While it would look cool if it was contoured to match the ground I can see this being abused and taking a sizeable effort on the devs part to implement.  Static structures that snap into place versus something that needs to change shape based off the contours of the map are totally different.  Each one would need a custom shape and hitbox.  If can be done, but I am betting that would be quite a bit of strain on the servers and their network as all that extra data is transmitted to clients. 

If I were doing this, I'd make varying sizes of them and include a couple of curves and angles.  When a road piece is placed it would choose the highest elevation point in the coverage area, place it there, and fill in to ground level (or below) along the whole piece.  I don't know the engine, but it shouldn't be any more difficult for a dev than something like putting a hill or a river into the landscape.  Rivers probably do this already, and with animation.  But again, I'm just guessing.

The benefit of it is that the player doesn't have to try to fit the whole thing together using squares and triangles one at a time, and the game only has to render 10 pieces rather than 200 pieces.  It's the same idea behind them making huge wall pieces available.  If you're going to build a huge wall anyway, better it be one piece.  (Now if they'd only allow us to build smaller walls, smaller gates, etc., that would be good too)

I wish they would make the large walls snap to foundations or ceiling tiles.  My OCD gets to me when I am placing them.  🙂 

As to the suggestion for limiting resource strain on the server/client that would probably work.  Might not be as pretty as a road following the contours of the land, but would get the job done.

Just make it that they don't affect building near by, they do block resource spawns close to the road AND anyone can demolish them instantly.
Give a speed boost for movement on them say 10%

more boat stuff definitely. structures that conform to the sides of the ship would be nice. I dislike having to building a wall perpendicular to the side of the ship and having the gap between the end and the planks. Also, please remove the nubs from the bottom of ceiling tiles when on a ship

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Or less land stuff more boat stuff?

thats actually what the developers want.. more ocean time.. less land time.  They mention that in their roadmap.

I believe one of Arks new items in the upcoming dlc is a floating foundation...  I also believe after that is implemented, it will be brought over to Atlas.. for ocean bases...   Pure speculation.. but my belief

Fine ! then we will need floating roads for our floating bases. 🙂
Really for more ocean time they just need to up the rewards for water activities and add pirate ships (not encampment based) and a lot more merchant ships that can be sunk for treasure.

• Like 1