Sign in to follow this  
Badkebab

Cheesy pvp mechanics

So our company got attacked last night, our first experience of pvp on land in atlas and here are some thoughts on the experience. 

Human vs human combat is a joke particularly the hand to hand combat with the handicapping "lock on mechanic" which only affects one player seemingly reducing one's movement speed and is so crippling in melee to the point that you are essentially commuting suicide if you take out a sword. 

Fighting a swarm of midgets is simply absurd, this wasn't a pvp battle, this was a slapstick comedy. 

Ship to shore bombardment is a total waste of time against cannon bears, 4 ships blanketing a small shore area with cannon balls did not and could not kill a single cannon bear. The cannon bear however sank 4 ships without much issue. I have no idea how that is even remotely possible. But I could see the bear rolling up and down with its cannon seemingly impervious to an absolute hail of cannon fire. 

Now the final mechanic was possibly the worst, now we got wiped and we deserved it due to general ineptitude, lack of skill, experience and poor level of preparation. But we didn't lose the island which the other team definitely deserved to win. Why didn't they lose it? Because despite the enemy with dazzling speed assembling a combat base right by our flag complete with swivel cannons, just two of our team were able to engage in 3 hours of hide and seek until the phase shifted from combat to peace. 

Despite me being locked in a cage twice we used all our creativity in hiding to hold off the flag contest for 3 hours and then we could just demolish all of their stuff and it was cheesy. They deserved the win and they were cheated out of it by two naked guys. 

Now its all academic since we have no chance to rebuild defences in 14 hours to withstand a second assault so they do win in the end but we gained time to make off with all of the plunder they might have gotten had we not played hide and seek, including 17,000 gold. 

Sad to lose the island they deserved to win it but wow the pvp combat is silly

• Like 1

I encountered a similar problem but in versed.  An allies flag was taken and the enemy had built up.  Fair enough they successfully offlined them i suppose during the 9 hour window.  We came to fight back and had a great fight was fun during that time.  HOWEVER, it is not fun at all and only angering that after beating them in virtually every way they just used the 50 beds they spammed in bushes all over the huge island plus their 10 members to contest the flag for 3 hours playing hide and seek. 

Their was suspicion by some allies that some bed meshing may have occured as well but I myself dont have evidence and couldnt see any with the K ability.  They were spawning very quickly though despite dozens of beds, all their boats being destroyed every bush checked and all mountains scoured which did make it suspicious but I digress.

I think the Atlas team really needs to modify the way the flag works.  My suggestion to remove the hide and seek (reduce it at least) contest which is absolutely HORRIBLE and toxic to the game in my opinion is to drastically reduce the contesting area size to half of the current or more (preferably more).  Enemies should have to be nearly on the flagto contest and not half way across the island.  Its hard to find a place completely devoid of hiding places in a area that size on these islands.

My second idea would be to suspend contesting but something would have to counter this like ability to destroy the flag which doesnt really work for balance and thus this idea IMO is not an effective one from anyway i think of it. 

I hope the Atlas team looks at this soon as it makes wanting to PVP on islands much less appealing if naked running hide and seek is more effective and "META" than actual PVP and skilled combat.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:11 AM, Badkebab said:

So our company got attacked last night, our first experience of pvp on land in atlas and here are some thoughts on the experience. 

Human vs human combat is a joke particularly the hand to hand combat with the handicapping "lock on mechanic" which only affects one player seemingly reducing one's movement speed and is so crippling in melee to the point that you are essentially commuting suicide if you take out a sword. 

Fighting a swarm of midgets is simply absurd, this wasn't a pvp battle, this was a slapstick comedy. 

Ship to shore bombardment is a total waste of time against cannon bears, 4 ships blanketing a small shore area with cannon balls did not and could not kill a single cannon bear. The cannon bear however sank 4 ships without much issue. I have no idea how that is even remotely possible. But I could see the bear rolling up and down with its cannon seemingly impervious to an absolute hail of cannon fire. 

Now the final mechanic was possibly the worst, now we got wiped and we deserved it due to general ineptitude, lack of skill, experience and poor level of preparation. But we didn't lose the island which the other team definitely deserved to win. Why didn't they lose it? Because despite the enemy with dazzling speed assembling a combat base right by our flag complete with swivel cannons, just two of our team were able to engage in 3 hours of hide and seek until the phase shifted from combat to peace. 

Despite me being locked in a cage twice we used all our creativity in hiding to hold off the flag contest for 3 hours and then we could just demolish all of their stuff and it was cheesy. They deserved the win and they were cheated out of it by two naked guys. 

Now its all academic since we have no chance to rebuild defences in 14 hours to withstand a second assault so they do win in the end but we gained time to make off with all of the plunder they might have gotten had we not played hide and seek, including 17,000 gold. 

bro.. you said it yourself.
"general ineptitude, lack of skill, experience and poor level of preparation" Preparation is the key and experience is what turns it. Now you got some experience you can use later on.

but let me tell you a good loadout kit  and a simple how to on why each item is useful and how to enjoy the pvp experience..

ALWAYS TURN MELEE COMBAT LOCK OFF! I cant say that enough. turn it off in the options. it always hurts your ability in a real fight. 

Kit in order as i do it: full plate armor equipped. 1st slot: sword. 2nd slot: carbine. 3rd: billyclub or climbing pics. 4th:bola. 5th: grappling hook. 6th: (open for glider) 7th: 5 grenades. 8th: flintlock 1. 9th: flintlock 2. 0: spyglass.

It's a good idea to have at least 10 sets of that kit for each person. swords should only be used as a last resort or when you run out of ammo. grenades are essential and can easily take out unsuspecting bear riders/crabs/heavy infantry and strong structures. gliding while dropping grenades is fun af. Have at least 100 grenades ready to go at all times because they go quick. 

billy club is great for light armored or naked runners. knock them out where you can cuff them then drag them to a cage and they're out of the fight for a good period of time. Bola is how you stop them without hitting them, kill/knockout them while they're stuck laying down. easy clap. 

Practice makes perfect. pick some fights and try your skill. dont be afraid to lose. 

Lastly, always have lots of bear and horse tames and breed them. cannon, balista and swivel carts. have a bunch of each ready to go at all times.

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

The mechanics aren't broken you just suck. No soft way to put that.

You guys had no tames to stop a single bear? A horse with a flame cart will murder a bear. They cant catch you and cant tank flames forever. 

Tigers are key IMO because they do bleed damage. Hit them and let the bleed run out. No tame can last through 6 or 7 hits. A shit tiger can be a killing machine because you dont need to level melee for this to work. 

Shoot the rider. When they are shooting the cannon they aren't moving. 

Bolas and grapples are cheap. Hit the rider with them and they aren't riders any more. You can throw both while mounted.

Build walls and make it difficult for the bear to get In in the first place. 

A few puckles go a long way. 

Go to your flag hold e and hit reveal enemies. No more hide and seek. 

If they insist on running in naked use a horse to donkey kick them and cage them.

If you get a hold of a razor tooth they absolutely shut down ground raids with the fear mechanic. 

Edited by Fix this
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Fix this said:

The mechanics aren't broken you just suck. No soft way to put that.

You guys had no tames to stop a single bear? A horse with a flame cart will murder a bear. They cant catch you and cant tank flames forever. 

Tigers are key IMO because they do bleed damage. Hit them and let the bleed run out. No tame can last through 6 or 7 hits. A shit tiger can be a killing machine because you dont need to level melee for this to work. 

Shoot the rider. When they are shooting the cannon they aren't moving. 

Bolas and grapples are cheap. Hit the rider with them and they aren't riders any more. You can throw both while mounted.

Build walls and make it difficult for the bear to get In in the first place. 

A few puckles go a long way. 

Go to your flag hold e and hit reveal enemies. No more hide and seek. 

If they insist on running in naked use a horse to donkey kick them and cage them.

If you get a hold of a razor tooth they absolutely shut down ground raids with the fear mechanic. 

again the flame bear meta game... so much fun isnt it? boring....

Aye, compared to Ark, Atlas pvp is something I do not enjoy at all; ship fights can be fun however so I am sticking to that, because honestly, I am waiting for more land pvp diversity, combat tame diversity, and ship diversity.

On 5/11/2019 at 5:41 PM, Sneakydude said:

again the flame bear meta game... so much fun isnt it? boring....

There will always be a meta. Its in every game including Atlas. Meta for defence in a form of flame bears / horses doesn't bother me at all. 

Edited by Willard

The only people I have found who think the ground PvP is good are Ark players.  In general it sucks.  Nearly every other game out there has smoother ground combat.  Also I agree with what else he said.  The mechanics involved in capturing island and the counters it forces you to use are just asinine and introduce a ton of doubebag tactics.  Flag capping and contesting  captures should be direct contact or at the worst like a couple tiles.  A single player in a multi layer honey combed base can contest it.  How is that person contesting it hiding in a bunker?  I don't get it and its annoying as hell dealing with 15 naked idiots hiding in bushes.  They are naked.  They have no base we destroyed it, no weapons because we took them, no armor because we're wearing it....but somehow they can retain ownership of the island with naked people hiding in bushes.  Fun stuff. 

Make the capture game like Shadowbane.  Make the flag a structure we have to destroy.  Give it a ton of hitpoints and we have to knock it down to 0 to unclaim the island.  Then someone can claim and the flag starts gaining HP back.  At full HP the new company owns it.  Naked idiots running around will have to find a way to stop it. 

Edited by DocHolliday

Interlocking fields of fire with tons of mortars, having mortar rounds drop on someones head over and over from multiple different angles, even if they hit your own building that they are using for cover, deletes players. then just kill the mounts, if they are firing the cannons accurately, they are stopped, then just have multiple people fire mortar rounds at the stopped target. They also work wonders on ships, no ship wants to stay in range of mortars, like ever, I have seen 2 mortars completely destroy brigs and galleons in a few shots because the guy behind the the wheel, got killed in the first shots and then the ship was just pummeled.  Cannons are OK, for NPCs but mortars with players on them using K and mouse wheeling out, is the way to go.

Mortars are the kings of defense. Outside of that get some flame turrets on the back of horses (pointing backwards), they take care of people quick. Use tigers to counter their mounts also, one swipe and 10% of their health is gone.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:11 AM, Badkebab said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+To+Disable+Auto+Target+Lock+In+Atlas

also the attack aim magnetism slider, can be adjusted if you want to use the auto lock but not have its effect be too strong

Base raiding is shit. It’s too easy, a cannon bear outranges puckles, cannons etc. stone is piss weak to the point you need to lag up the sector with entities to have a base that will last more than 5 minutes in a fight. Stone platforms are weak, ship planks are crap, even with green anchor ( 1 loser on a crab can bust out a plank and you lose the whole ship)  crabs have bugger all to counter their excessively high jump, high hp, and ability to do tremendous amounts of damage) crabs aren’t a special sight on a raid ( every loser is riding one) 

high resistance galleons are a thing for some reason. This is total bullshit against anything a defender can put together to defend their ships or base . Towers don’t work, sea walls with large cannons don’t work ( 24 Large cannons firing constantly at a galleon that doesn’t seem to give a shit)  

rebuilding after the MLG wanker with these broken mechanics in their favour chooses to Stone Age and popcorn your shit is enough to make me quit. 

I can recommend this game any longer. I’m avid with PvP and win plenty of fights at sea. But bases and ship storage is absolutely broken. I can’t sail around every sector constantly stonaeging every player I see or therwise I’d be feeding into grape shots bullshit idea of what hardcore looks like.

And PVE sucks. So don’t bother mentioning it. It’s boring AF. 

These mechanics on your “colonies server” are chasing away potential buyers of your game. All the new kids start solo and are piss scared to play this game. I’ve been in a mega and the rank structure isn’t conducive to new players learning the game. As an admin for a mega I don’t want to have to run around for little level 8 johnnie demolishing things for him so he can build his first sloop. 

Fix the raiding shit so little johnnie can go play atlas and learn the game solo or in a small group till he is ready to be on a mega company.  Let little johnnie build puckles that actually out range a bear with a cannon strapped to its arse to defend his shit.

He wont join a mega company. If they actually make passive defenses strong enough to defend per se a raid from 20 people, then Johhny will start an elite small company and fuck the zerg. And I would like to see that.

• Like 1

Last night I logged in to find that my first schooner, I am a solo player,  had been stolen overnight while I was away sleeping and then at work. My schooner was within four solid stone walls so that it could not get out. I promptly tried to contest the ship to get it back but the freaking company continued to log inside of the ship to contest it. I tried to hail that company but they would NOT respond to me. So, confused and royally pissed off from being "offline" griefed, I went to get a cannon to blow the mother up when all of a sudden they arrived outside my walled shipyard with another ship and blew out my gate and swiftly sailed my stolen schooner away.

How much of a dick move was that? Why in the hell is this game promoting this kind of "offline" griefing? How hard pressed do you have to be to take the time and effort to steal another boat instead of just farming and making your own? There was absolutely nothing I could do as a solo company as I only have like 140 gold to my name and given how freaking much the NPC's cost to maintain, I could not afford an NPC puckle gun defense. There was absolutely no benefit of PVP here only an offline griefing.

Pretty fucking stupid...

Edited by vaylain