Sign in to follow this  
Dulu

Serious discussion about direction of game...

A little backstory on me: I came to this game looking for a pirate/sea fantasy style game. I had never been a fan of Ark, or any survival games... but the genre has grown on me since trying Atlas. I was/am a fan of Summit1g, and love his videos from Sea of Thieves. I came into this game expecting a Sea of Thieves style game, but with building, and more MMO elements.

Most of my time in this game has been on board Brigantines and Schooners, doing ship PvP, raiding, and naval combat. I consider myself quite experienced in PvP, and I'm very proud of my company and their performance against every type of opponent.

I've poured countless hours into the game. I can safely say I've dabbled in pretty much every element.

Now, with that said, I'd like to lay some heavy criticism at your feet, in the most respectable way possible:

#1 - Are we going for 'Realism'/Simulation, or fantasy? What do we weigh more, fun gameplay, or realistic experiences?

-Carbine reload timers are 15 seconds, yet we have giant crabs... which, are seemingly impossible to kill with said carbines. The jury is still out, but it appears to require liquid flame, several people coordinating perfectly timed grenades, maybe an explosive barrell, some harpoons, and other tamed animals to maybe kill one. Hopefully the crab doesn't jump over the mountain and instantly heal back up though.

And look, I'm fine with silly crab monsters --- but can you give Firearms the same treatment? Let us load that carbine in 3-4 seconds, maybe faster with talents, and actually hurt the giant mutant crab. If we're going to fun - that's great, let's address the unfun things and turn down the realism on them a bit. Vitamins, reload time, freezing to death, etc. If we're going for realism, that's also great - let's tone down the power of tames, especially the giant ones.

#2 - Ships have a weight limit, a crew limit... but no listing / balance mechanic. You can have 15,000 kilos on your ship, with 12k KG loaded directly on the rear of your ship.

Again, what are we going for here? Are we going for realism? If so, implement some system for listing. Are we going for fun and creativity? Lessen the restriction on crew and weight. I don't like having to tell company members they can't ride on my Brigantine because I don't have a crew slot open or room for the 100kg they're going to take up.

#3 - Death, Beds, item scaling and Naked Players.

I feel like the entire concept of death in this game needs a long look. Naked players are at the same time way too effective at controlling the meta game. Capturing islands, defending islands, riding tames, etc. Naked vs. common gear is a very marginal difference.

Yet on the flip side, a player in full common plate, with a carbine or blunderbuss, melee weapon, vitamin buff, etc... is completely worthless against a player in Legendary or Mythical Gear, or riding a decent tame. We need a more linear scaling system.

Paradoxically though, naked players can stall out even the most well geared raid force for HOURS by simply running, contesting, placing structures, etc.

Beds need a limit on how many times they can be used in PvP. Perhaps a durability hit each time they are used for a PvP death.

Edited by Dulu

Donno if you watched the streams or not bro... Devs are fukin clueless. 

Just play and hope shit works out. If populatio  dies out hopefully some decent devs will pick up some of the good ideas.

• Like 1

Well there is only one Direction, Downhill!

• Like 1

An easy way to balance out the weapons would be to give more armour pen to guns. Bypass tame's inherent damage drop.

The giant crabs do need a serious look into. As a utility they are great, as a raiding weapon they are nuclear weapon overpowered, you must understand. Every time this sort of function is added to the game it makes base wiping easy, that stops good chunks of players playing the game after they loose their base. At least limit the crabs ability to pick NPCs from defence, we had a crab pick guys off puckle guns that were inside a stone building, then destroy chests through a wall. . . .   

Some of the new features coming in the May update look good,  some are concerning. The torpedoes look fun but a lot of people are worried it just makes offline ship sinking easyer. I do wonder how it will be possible to counter torpedoes from a sub when a company has no sub. .   .

With the spawns, maybe a ship bed and a land bed, there a ship bed has longer respawn timers?  

But dulu has a point on the ship balance, full weight stacked at the back of a ship is very unrealistic.  Maybe a speed loss with unbalanced ships? I would like to just see them fall over backwards and sink tbh, but I know that's a bit brutal

read the latest captains log and watch the stream the specific question of is this a realistic pirate game was addressed.   The short answer is no, just like Ark was never a realistic survival game.  It is Atlantean and Mythic Fantasy which is what makes it different than Ark Alien Tek.     

It is the belief of the devs that these elements (tames and lore) will drive piracy.

As for as ship weight goes they are adding cargo pods which will allow you to pack more into your ship, but to attract pirates they are not in your cargo hold, they are hanging in your dinghy slot ready to be converted into flotsam.

Edited by krazmuze