advengerkos

Wind and Sailing

Lets discuss sailing. 

I am surprised no one has complained about this yet. Wind is an awful mechanic. I strongly believe no one enjoys sailing because of this and the effect of weight on a ship. If I want to plan a journey to a power stone or further a field I have no idea how long it will take me because I do not know how the wind will blow over that journey. 

It was a nice idea in theory but in practice I am sure half the game has quit because of it. No one in my company enjoys sailing because its so dam slow and frankly boring/annoying.

This game needs to be faster to get people onto the seas. Add more cheaper parking docks. I should be able to logon after work go 3-5 grids and pay to park in a FP....

Currently sailing at 8 knots compared to 16 due to a wind arrow the size of atlas player count :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, advengerkos said:

I am surprised no one has complained about this yet

^ Buys a game with boat, sails, and an ocean- complains about boat, sails, and the ocean.

I think they did a wonderful job with the sailing mechanic, its not a motorboat.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

I completely disagree.  If you don't want to spend so much time on the water, maybe you shouldn't choose a pirate game.

• Like 2

Yeah Sailing is the only Mechanic i cant complain About!

Keep it this Way.

Want to park everywhere? Go PvE

1 minute ago, Ameesa said:

I completely disagree.  If you don't want to spend so much time on the water, maybe you shouldn't choose a pirate game.

2 minutes ago, Nutcutt3r said:

^ Buys a game with boat, sails, and an ocean- complains about boat, sails, and the ocean.

I think they did a wonderful job with the sailing mechanic, its not a motorboat.

The opposite. I want to spend more time on the water. Just not hours watching dead screen doing nothing. 

We should be out going island to island getting rare mats. To do this however due to weight / wind mechanics just make everyone think why bother it takes so long and is so dam boring for the driver.

Agree man, they should remove  most of the water and  sail ships from the game and focus  more on tamagotchis, i mean tames.

And switch the name to arklas, i forgot that.

• Haha 1

The sailing is one of the things I really enjoy in this game.  Even if at times, I find it a bit tedious. This is a long play game. Plan accordingly.

I think OP is saying that the wind needs to be full force all the time.

we all do hate it when the wind is barely there and it’s the same for 2 consecutive regions 😩

Errrr... guys, right now wind is TOTALLY PREDICTABLE. 

It's just slowly rotates clockwise and changes it's strength from week to strong and back. During rainfall - It also rotates clockwise but a bit faster. After rain is over - it goes back to where it was before rain.

That's it. So you plan your journey, knowing that. Sometimes I do a bit farther routes, but because of wind - I go there faster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, advengerkos said:

We should be out going island to island getting rare mats. To do this however due to weight / wind mechanics just make everyone think why bother it takes so long and is so dam boring for the driver.

The problem is weight of materials.  The resources you carry, can be used to repair your ship.  Repair is in competition with damage.  If you can carry tons of supplies, you would always win the battle using repair.  Nobody would get sunk, if they loaded up on enough supplies.  A work around is a supply crate that cannot be opened while at sea.  Only when anchored could it be opened.  The crate would reduce the weight of resources, dramatically, thus making supply runs make more sense.  It would also allow other side benefits.  We could have a player shop at a Freeport, but we would need to manually stock it, meaning we have to take the supplies to the Freeport, and load them into that booth.  This would also ensure that there is good loot available when you sink somebody, since they would need to be loaded onto a ship, and then that ship would need to be anchored, to open it.  They could also be opened on land.  As it stands, people often popcorn their stuff if they get sunk, to deny everybody else, the opportunity to get the loot.  Weight could be added back to gold, such that people would be encouraged to add it to these crates.  Thus when they get sunk, somebody gets a payday, if they recover the crates.  Add a winch to the diving platform for bringing them up to your ship.  Once at the top, they are placed in a special area you set aside for these crates.  Maybe special foundations that can snap onto the decks, or snap into holes in the decks, could be used for this purpose.  When a crate is added to your ship, it snaps to an open spot on one of those special structures.  Wouldn't it be nice to see actual cargo in your ship?

Oh, and maybe different containers can be used for different resources.  Like a treasure chest for gold, and a crate for crafted items, and burlap and rope packages for fiber, bushel baskets for food, and pallets for stacked wood, etc...

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

The problem is weight of materials.  The resources you carry, can be used to repair your ship.  Repair is in competition with damage.  If you can carry tons of supplies, you would always win the battle using repair.  Nobody would get sunk, if they loaded up on enough supplies.  A work around is a supply crate that cannot be opened while at sea.  Only when anchored could it be opened.  The crate would reduce the weight of resources, dramatically, thus making supply runs make more sense.  It would also allow other side benefits.  We could have a player shop at a Freeport, but we would need to manually stock it, meaning we have to take the supplies to the Freeport, and load them into that booth.  This would also ensure that there is good loot available when you sink somebody, since they would need to be loaded onto a ship, and then that ship would need to be anchored, to open it.  They could also be opened on land.  As it stands, people often popcorn their stuff if they get sunk, to deny everybody else, the opportunity to get the loot.  Weight could be added back to gold, such that people would be encouraged to add it to these crates.  Thus when they get sunk, somebody gets a payday, if they recover the crates.  Add a winch to the diving platform for bringing them up to your ship.  Once at the top, they are placed in a special area you set aside for these crates.  Maybe special foundations that can snap onto the decks, or snap into holes in the decks, could be used for this purpose.  When a crate is added to your ship, it snaps to an open spot on one of those special structures.  Wouldn't it be nice to see actual cargo in your ship?

Oh, and maybe different containers can be used for different resources.  Like a treasure chest for gold, and a crate for crafted items, and burlap and rope packages for fiber, bushel baskets for food, and pallets for stacked wood, etc...

Aren't they kind of going this way with the dingy mountable cargo container?

I really like the mechanics of it, and sail for hours at a time going island to island on my days off. But I do agree it can be a little boring sometimes. I would rather them add something to do while sailing. I like the idea of the new Fishing net for that. More things like that IMO. 

12 hours ago, advengerkos said:

Lets discuss sailing. 

I am surprised no one has complained about this yet. Wind is an awful mechanic. I strongly believe no one enjoys sailing because of this and the effect of weight on a ship. If I want to plan a journey to a power stone or further a field I have no idea how long it will take me because I do not know how the wind will blow over that journey. 

It was a nice idea in theory but in practice I am sure half the game has quit because of it. No one in my company enjoys sailing because its so dam slow and frankly boring/annoying.

This game needs to be faster to get people onto the seas. Add more cheaper parking docks. I should be able to logon after work go 3-5 grids and pay to park in a FP....

Currently sailing at 8 knots compared to 16 due to a wind arrow the size of atlas player count 🙂

Sorry but I disagree with your post and furthermore they need to fix Sails so they work the way they really should!!!  And get rid of this stupid Speed Sail Meta!!!

They also need to fix Gally's so they are SLOW the way THEY SHOULD BE!!!!

NO the problem is not the wind the problem is they havent properly implemented Square Sail, Lanteen Sail, Gaff Sail, sailing characteristics!!!  Not the mention the stupid concept of Bigger ship goes faster cause it has more sails!!!!

Something should be done here in my opinion, because the sailing taking forever hurts the playability for the game.

Two good ideas, could implement  both of them would be 

1. Take out the weather with almost no wind, so that wind is always at half or so. 

2. Add a into the wind sailing buff that, increases your speed based on how long your sails have been into the wind, with like a 50% extra speed cap on it.  Let's say 10٪ every 10 minutes until it reaches 50% where your fully buffed. 

20 hours ago, Captain Stabbin said:

I think OP is saying that the wind needs to be full force all the time.

we all do hate it when the wind is barely there and it’s the same for 2 consecutive regions 😩

Yes this. When the wind goes down to nothing its so slow. 

However the current speed of sailing could be faster. Those saying they enjoy sailing, great thank you for being part of the 1.5k people who play ... In my clan I am one of very few who will do the powerstones/long distance sailing because no one can be bothered with such a boring experience. Everything keeps getting buffed but not the most important aspect of the game which is getting about. I do not want speed boat ability just a quicker experience either by

- better blueprints which give meaningful increases

- better skill points

- bigger ships go faster not slower

29 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Had not heard of this.  Describe?

It was in the latest Captain's Log:

A new storage option for medium and large boats. The cargo rack is snapped to dingy hangar locations and will significantly reduce the weight of any item inside of its inventory. The cargo rack can only be accessed when the boat has anchored, and if the boat is sunk, the cargo rack will turn into a special-flotsam which contains the inventory floating out at sea, providing the potential for it to be stolen by another pirate crew!

Not sure how I feel about it being in a dinghy dock, especially with the dinghy dock having such minimal hp, but it's basically exactly what you've been asking for.

Edited by Kidori
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kidori said:

Not sure how I feel about it being in a dinghy dock, especially with the dinghy dock having such minimal hp, but it's basically exactly what you've been asking for.

I'm taking a guess it will have double plank HP since it sites above them and is way bigger then the dingy dock.

I wish they would remove the 20% boost with 0 wind..... would make the other sail types when fixed more functional.   I loved how it was in vanilla, so much more depths than that "other game" with no wind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kidori said:

Yes, this is a step in the right direction.  Hopefully this is just a placeholder for something more immersive in the future.  But yes, this is a great first step.

Somebody above highlighted what may be at the heart of the problem with the maneuvering sails.  They were designed before allowing 15% speed into the wind.  So, I am assuming that to correct the problem, they need to add 15% to the maneuvering sails, when sailing into the wind, where the other two sails cannot.  This would restore its advantage when sailing into the wind.  I noticed a huge difference between a Schooner with 2 speed sails, large and small, and one with the small speed sail, when sailing with good wind.  The handling sail was much slower, even though it is just a small handling sail.  So, it should be a huge difference when sailing into the wind.  It should be much faster than the 2 speed sail Meta.

The sailing aspect doesn’t get much grief because they got it right. The sailing and ship battle aspects of the game feel really good. 

The wind can be annoying at time when it’s not going in your favor but that’s part of the realism. This game does NOT need to turn into a Mario pirate game. 

• Like 2

I keep reading about how boring it is to sail across the seas, I enjoy the time on the open sea. I dive sunken ships collect crates level up my ships and I enjoy planning out trips to different locations. To each his own I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

From what I understand, there are ways to go faster, and quite a bit faster at that. For the most part, speed sails offer a higher top speed for any given ship, regardless of wind. The wind itself is where the actual speed comes in, but there's another factor that seems overlooked. Ship weight has changed a little since I last played, and it appears in order to gain more speed, the ship needs to be lighter as a percentage of it's total weight. Spending points into weight lowers how much speed loss there is, so an empty ship with all points into weight will travel much faster than a ship that is carrying the same amount of weight, but has no points in weight itself... 

What annoys me is the lack of sail design and mechanic to allow for a greater sailing experience. It's very much play on rails when it comes to putting a ship out on the water in order to become fast. Handling sails should ideally have snaps ONLY on the front of a ship, and would actually be the speed sail. Think of a jib sail versus mainsail on a yacht. There very notion of having one set of sails across the entire ship and placed where you like seems a little archaic and ignorant of actual sailing. By adjusting sail positions and mechanics, one could create a bit more diversity in ship design, rather than having "this is what you do, and if you don't, you are bad" mechanics. I prefer handling on a gally, being able to turn is a huge thing for me, but the loss of overall speed makes them redundant. Mixing the two offers little benefit, thus forcing cookie cutter ships which ideally serve a very cookie cutter style of play;- run them down or run away. Intricate ship battles seem to be avoided while good mechanics and playstyle fly out the window when it comes to either cut them down or run away tactics. a jib sail with no boom would be preferred out front, thus allowing straight line speed when wind is favorable, and would certainly offer straight-line sailing far more speed as a result, any turn out of wind would make the sail simply not work at all. I really do feel that by having 'speed' and 'handling' etc really does limit the sail loadout.

There are many things wrong with the game at this point, red and white meats also get my blood boiling. Fish and Animal meat? seriously. A 'steering wheel'? Come on. Terms should be used and players may enjoy the immersion of having a helm over a steering wheel. Just my two cents.

Edited by zysis
  • Like 1

What I want to know is what powers SotD...  

If it's wind, they're pretty good at sailing in NO wind.  And pretty bad in stormy weather, and their non sails, are pretty effective at propulsion.

If it's not wind, and have diesel motors, explains why they sail at the same speed regardless of weather condition.  Why can't I have a diesel motor!?

If it's not wind, nor motor, and it's wizard power...  then I'd like wizard power to!...  but then wizard power is slower than sails in good wind, but when there's no wind, wizard power is pretty cool.

Perhaps there's a wizard / diesel / wind hybrid boat going?     Always wanted a Prius Schooner.