ButtPirate

It is a PIRATE GAME

On 5/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

OK guys, use some logic for a change.  You don't actually have to play a game to comment on it.  YouTube with the aid of content creators, allows you to experience the game without actually playing it.

Yes and no. There is much that can be commented on from observation, but how much advice about sex would you take from someone who only knows about it from watching pr0n? Actual experience matters.

Edited by boomervoncannon

40 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Yes and no. There is much that can be commented on from observation, but how much advice about sex would you take from someone who only knows about it from watching pr0n? Actual experience matters.

I guess we shouldn’t listen to sports commentators either. Or journalists, or the devs for that matter because I am pretty sure they don’t play their own game either

23 minutes ago, Realist said:

I guess we shouldn’t listen to sports commentators either. Or journalists, or the devs for that matter because I am pretty sure they don’t play their own game either

Sports commentators are 90% useless. I like Tony Romo because he is a former qb who is well spoken and able to communicate his considerable insight on the game in real time accurately and concisely. I also like Dick Vitale because, let’s face it, listening to a grown man hyperventilate continuously for 2 hours like an 8 year old who’s just seen Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and his first naked woman all at the same time is fun. Romo and Vitale however are the exceptions to the rule. Witness the legion of play by play announcers who get paid handsomely to do ONE THING, talk about the actions of highly paid athletes on the playing field, and yet consistently mispronounce those players names. In the case of NFL announcers it’s particularly galling because they do one game per week.  You had all week to learn these players names! You should know the backup punters name as if he were your brother even if his name is an unpronounceable jumble of consananants from Elbonia! It should still roll off your tongue like butter because THATS YOUR ONLY JOB. Sorry but if you are trying to convince me of the efficacy of anything by analogy and your example is sports commentators, you have failed at the outset.

Any journalist worth a fig knows the difference between reporting on a thing and experiencing that thing. The great Edward R Murrow (a name too few Americans even know anymore) would have told you that no matter how many times you listened to his broadcasts from London during the German bombing, it would never be the same as being there. Journalists can inform, even highly inform if they do their job well and lord knows we never have enough of that, but they cannot substitute for actual experience.

I am largely in agreement about the devs. I get the impression they need to play the game more. But again, they need actual experience. Even we happy few screaming at them here like a cacophony of shrill Wall Street prognosticators cannot eliminate the need for them to see for themselves.

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Sports commentators are 90% useless. I like Tony Romo because he is a former qb who is well spoken and able to communicate his considerable insight on the game in real time accurately and concisely. I also like Dick Vitale because, let’s face it, listening to a grown man hyperventilate continuously for 2 hours like an 8 year old who’s just seen Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and his first naked woman all at the same time is fun. Romo and Vitale however are the exceptions to the rule. Witness the legion of play by play announcers who get paid handsomely to do ONE THING, talk about the actions of highly paid athletes on the playing field, and yet consistently mispronounce those players names. In the case of NFL announcers it’s particularly galling because they do one game per week.  You had all week to learn these players names! You should know the backup punters name as if he were your brother even if his name is an unpronounceable jumble of consananants from Elbonia! It should still roll off your tongue like butter because THATS YOUR ONLY JOB. Sorry but if you are trying to convince me of the efficacy of anything by analogy and your example is sports commentators, you have failed at the outset.

Any journalist worth a fig knows the difference between reporting on a thing and experiencing that thing. The great Edward R Murrow (a name too few Americans even know anymore) would have told you that no matter how many times you listened to his broadcasts from London during the German bombing, it would never be the same as being there. Journalists can inform, even highly inform if they do their job well and lord knows we never have enough of that, but they cannot substitute for actual experience.

I am largely in agreement about the devs. I get the impression they need to play the game more. But again, they need actual experience. Even we happy few screaming at them here like a cacophony of shrill Wall Street prognosticators cannot eliminate the need for them to see for themselves.

Come on dude, you didn’t need to make the commentator part that long. I have to tldr that one.

and yeah you are right about the journalist and the devs. Journalism has really gone down hill except for maybe a couple of outlets. And I even remember ced saying that he had a couple of hundred hours in the beginning of ark but then never picked it back up. Sure that was ark and ced is still over at ark but it is safe to say that most of the devs are the same.

sometimes you can see on the dev tracker they are off playing other games instead of trying their own game.

as for me though I don’t speak on in game experience. I speak on the experience that I have experienced with these devs and even though it might not be 100% correct if a dev were to cut a corner one one game they are more than likely to cut the same corner on the next. Humans do tend to be habitual. 

Mother things are easier for me to comment on. Like the 1400 upkeep on the playershop? I don’t need to play the game to know that was stupid or to know I don’t like it. 

Not even arguing with you this time around but somethings don’t need experience even though I agree that others do require it.

6 minutes ago, Realist said:

Come on dude, you didn’t need to make the commentator part that long. I have to tldr that one.

*snip*

Mother things are easier for me to comment on. Like the 1400 upkeep on the playershop? I don’t need to play the game to know that was stupid or to know I don’t like it. 

Sorry you hit one of my pet peeves.😬

And yes 1400 in shop rent does not require in game experience to second guess. That’s why I said yes and no.

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Sorry you hit one of my pet peeves.😬

And yes 1400 in shop rent does not require in game experience to second guess. That’s why I said yes and no.

Which sentence was the pet peeve? Lol

you snipped a lot so you might be a little too anal 

I think we're edging towards sci-fi with all the tek stuff.  ybh I'd prefer wizard of oz magic, than beam me up scotty sci fi  😉

I'd be ok with it sticking with some of the mythical elements like from Pirates of the Caribbean.  Start getting to crazy with magic, tech, etc and I don't know if I'll continue playing.  If it must go that route I'll give it a shot, but no promises. 

I think people should simply understand that this game is NOT Pirates of the Caribbean...as in an actual SIM of the real Pirates of the Caribbean.  The SotD was our first in game clue.  The Pirate Steam Punk description is more correct.  I'm fine with that, so long as things are balanced.  If this game is to remain a health one, we will always need new blood.  I suspect the game, at launch, will need a separate server for new companies and players.  One that allows them to build up to a certain level, and allows them to bring what they have earned, to the main server.  If not, new companies will be created, and after being wiped a few times, they will leave the game.  The only other way to avoid this is the move to factions.  The game is basically operating this way now, but we don't always know who our friends are, and who are not.  Official factions that your company enlists in, will save the game by making it more friendly to new companies.  More established companies will be incentivized to help them out.  At the same time, companies will still have some autonomy, which is good.  WWIIOL had a similar system...clans grouping up in official factions, Axis and Allies...and it almost died when they took that away...removing the autonomy of the clans was not a good move.  The game never fully recovered from that.  At the same time, it allowed new clans to be formed, and see success when they teamed up with more established clans.

• Like 1