Leapdave

Anchored ships should not sink

Atlas is much better with ships fighting other ships at sea etc. than blowing a plank or 2 off of an anchored ship whose owner is offline

Let them damage whatever they want if a ship is unprotected, but for the sake of fun it should not sink if anchored

It's not the most realistic solution but a 15ft tall ship anchored in 3 feet of water sinking isn't very realistic either

• Like 3

Youd be suprised what 3 feet of water can do. But besides that, get an island and protect your stuff with the peace phase while offline. That is what it was intended for.

Edited by Myrmidon

2 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

get an island and protect your stuff with the peace phase while offline. That is what it was intended for.

I have an island. Localized companies (which should have a place, in a well made game) can not be online for the entire 9 hours

There is no benefit in catering to people who enjoy destroying your things while you are offline, especially if they only need a tiny bit of damage (1 plank) to wait for the boat to completely sink in 3 ft of water

The most successful games are *fun* and preventing anchored ships from sinking would improve fun in this game. A 5 minute start to the anchored protection would prevent abusing the rule

• Like 1

I think its 15 minutes than your ship will be "safely" anchored, when the white anchor symbol turns green. That would be the time for the no sinking rule to kick in or extremely slow sinking 24hours minimum so people can save their ship.

A proper solution thou would be if we can re-dock to shipyards or build a docking bay to protect ships over night. Together with slower sinking while anchored so you can explore islands and stuff without the need to stay close to your ship all the time. If ship planks can no longer be removed by damage but will sit at 0hp leaking and waiting to be repaired the normal way, the npc crew could finally repair a sinking ship and not just pretend everything is fine. Also a damaged plank skin would look better than ships with missing planks.
Additional if we give a bucket to npc crew they could remove a bit of water from a sinking ship and counter smaller leakage.

If someone really wants your ship they can still kill the crew and steal it, but ships are not wasted so much because no one is there to replace a plank.

The game was already softened quite a bit.  Now people want to soften it more.  Its gota stop somewhere before its just PvE. 

• Like 1

Well see it that way, if less ships are wasted pointlessly they can be harder to build again.

Id prefer more sea battles, boarding parties and the like over sinking anchored ships by damaging one plank when no one is around. Why shouldnt the game be hard for the attacker as well? After all the devs soften the game because it is so easy to cause a lot of damage and they have to do something to keep players playing, best would be if they tend to the cause.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The game was already softened quite a bit.  Now people want to soften it more.  Its gota stop somewhere before its just PvE. 

Planking ships defended only by NPCs IS the very definition of PvE.

It's better with the raid windows, much better. But they can still improve the system.

• Thanks 1

Only build what you expect to lose.  If you have a fleet of a dozen ships or more and you cannot defend it I don't know what to tell you.  The offline copout has to stop at some point.  Its used in every damn argument.  Its the victim card.  At some point you need to take responsibility for what happens in game. 

I was willing to bend for the new rules and so far I am liking them.  At this point I can take some tweaks, but there comes a point where PvP in this game will be so restricted I won't see the point in trying to play PvP.  A line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Edited by DocHolliday

On 5/10/2019 at 1:46 PM, DocHolliday said:

Pretty much it is pve... just with 10% pvp added to it.. Where you been Willis?

On 5/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, DocHolliday said:

It is NOT pvp anyways with offline ganking of unprotected, docked ships....that is merely griefing. Clearly, you are a griefer if it bothers you so much. We shall eventually see if the DEVs plan to design the game to support you "griefers" or if they plan to address griefing and make offline sinking of ships impossible...

Hey, if you don't like it and just want to cry about it, go play a hardcore PVP game then...Altas was advertised as an online sandbox with both, PVE and PVP elements intertwined.

Hell, if you "griefers" got your merry way, Atlas would have to have its advertising changed to:

"ATLAS...spend all day building ships to have high-stakes pirate combat but then awaken the next morning to find them all sunk by griefers. So, get your money together, because you are in for one hell of an adventure. Join today...because tomorrow might never come!"

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sneakydude said:

Pretty much it is pve... just with 10% pvp added to it.. Where you been Willis?

I just said that.  Wtf.

The offline sinking comments are nothing but a copout anymore.  Are we supposed to ask who owns what boat and only sink those who are online and leave the rest?  If your RAID window is open that means your company set its window there so you can defend your assets.  If you own assets you cannot defend then that's on you.  Stop blaming everyone else for your problems. 

I have to admit the griefing of anchored ships in this game is getting kinda old. Litterally planking a ship. Having it sink and popcorning it by demolishing the decks is kinda crap mechanic wise. 

Building giant aids harbours is just making the game lag from the number of entities people are using to protect their very very vulnerable ships. 

I agree that there should be a way of saving green anchored ships after being planked. Atm they are too hard to defend without aidsing up the spot you intend to store them in. 

The idea with having them at 0hp is pretty good in my opinion. I would be on board with this as long as the cost of repairing a fully planked, green anchored ship is the same as the cost of rebuilding those planks. So a fully planked schooner will cost you 15 k wood, thatch etc or whatever to repair. This way the levels on that ship arent lost.

The cost of fully griefing that ship would also be more balanced in cost as rebuilding it from scratch costs. 

Hitting unprotected ships is just PVE. Theres no risk to the griefer. Its a pretty shit flex imo. You didnt sink anyone in pvp. You just pve'd a bunch of npcs and sank an unprotected boat. Ur just a wannabe mlg tryhard. Try fighting actual players. 

Just my thoughts. Its cool if you disagree. 

• Like 4

I agree, there is no way to protect ships from bored trolls passing by.

Stone gate is one broadside+game over, so ship hangars dont help.

9hour combat window is not giving any troll protection as well.

Anchored ships = invulnerable would be the perfect solution. Wouldnot hurt open sea combat but prevent offline lolstomping

Edited by Talono
  • Like 7

The point of this post is good. I see some replys asking why he wants to make the game even easier? 

It's not that he wants it easier, he's trying to create maximum pvp engagement to make it MORE FUN. Which will bring more players to the game making it even MORE FUN. Which creates a positive feedback loop, which in itself creates the success of the game. 

Progress is EVERYTHING in this game, so losing  that progress to start over just because someone found your stuff while your offline. Creates no sort of creative difficulty of any kind, it causes you to repeat things you already have, like building another galleon, that's not difficult it's just time consuming. 

Also I've done a test, of the games defences, there all terrible. So if your logging off at all during the 9hrs your risking all your progress that's on that land. 

There just needs to be something, to save the progress of small company players. The whole settler idea is good, but big companies dont struggle with upkeep, so there's not much incentive to protect their stuff as the island owning company. 

I think ships not being able to be sunk, and even a small personal Freeport bank npc would go a long way in helping the little companies make this game fun again. 

There WERE a lot of players in this game wanting to do small companies, alot of them have quit, and the only reason I've been able to keep my progress since the wipe is Freeport tames, and a brig at 200% resist takes 16hours to sink in Freeport. Since my progress is relatively safe, it makes game progression fun. If I was progressing on a claim, it wouldn't be, because I know everytime I log off in battle time, I should expect it all to be wiped when i come back. 

So whenever something is working towards this saving progress of players that want to play with themselves and some friends, and not have the entire game done for them by a big company. 

Why I think they should model it around small company, no land claiming, and just living on lawless and freeports, then up to bigger companies keep land, and can have settlers.  

Do a small Freeport bank, and make ships unsinkable ,but raidable while offline, and smaller companies have a way to play the game. Atm if your not in a Freeport, as a small company, your stuff simply isn't remotely safe, doesnt matter if your defence cost 10000 gold a day, it wont stop players 

Edited by Mike L
  • Like 6

I agree to a certain extent. At least when anchored in shallow waters ships should not sink completely beyond recover and repair. It is ok if damage can be dealt, however allow us to repair the ship so that it can be saved. IRL ships sunk near shipyards/harbors could often be recovered and repaired. 

Edited by Tycondero
  • Like 2

At least a sinking ship shouldnt be immediately become salvageable to anyone. Give it a timer to to combat the silly griefing and popcorning.

Edited by oni
  • Like 3

Sinking ships sitting anchored is one of the reasons I barely even log anymore. Who cares how realistic it is it's just stupid. How about get some balls and just engage in actual ship to ship and stop slinking around like a little bitch looking for defenseless things to destroy so you can make yourself feel like a big man?

On 6/2/2019 at 8:12 AM, Talono said:

I agree, there is no way to protect ships from bored trolls passing by.

Stone gate is one broadside+game over, so ship hangars dont help.

9hour combat window is not giving any troll protection as well.

Anchored ships = invulnerable would be the perfect solution. Wouldnot hurt open sea combat but prevent offline lolstomping

Agreed with this. Once the green goes to white you are good to go about your normal life without worrying about some jerk destroying your stuff offline while jerking one off. 

• Like 3

Don't make ships unsinkable...

I said this before:
Make claims fully protected but the flag area itself, which is full PVP...
If the Island is unclaimed/lawless everything on the island is in PVP...
Therefore a ship can anchor at a beach and be fully protected after the 15mins...
As the only area/thing needing protection is the flag area, PVP structure building would be mostly limited to this area...
So less structures overall - especially no massive harbor protection, where every time you want to come home to your harbor the lag kills you if don't give it time to load in.
Also an option for settler protection, as the attacker that declaims the island can claim it himself, including settlers and taxes...
On the other hand the settler might help protecting the flag by support building the flag base and bring gold and such, and help actively defend it, giving the claim owner more people online even if he is not online...
There should be a special alliance for the island claim owner where he can put in every settler he allows... they could get special access to flag area structures so they can hold the flag...
It would be like capture the flag...
Only thing needed would be the NPC defenses would finally balanced to work, so that the flag not need to / can no longer be placed on a high mountain (the only thing somewhat save right now), so it is fair for the attacker to actually reach the flag...

On 6/4/2019 at 2:47 AM, Mike L said:

The point of this post is good. I see some replys asking why he wants to make the game even easier? 

It's not that he wants it easier, he's trying to create maximum pvp engagement to make it MORE FUN. Which will bring more players to the game making it even MORE FUN. Which creates a positive feedback loop, which in itself creates the success of the game. 

Progress is EVERYTHING in this game, so losing  that progress to start over just because someone found your stuff while your offline. Creates no sort of creative difficulty of any kind, it causes you to repeat things you already have, like building another galleon, that's not difficult it's just time consuming. 

Also I've done a test, of the games defences, there all terrible. So if your logging off at all during the 9hrs your risking all your progress that's on that land. 

There just needs to be something, to save the progress of small company players. The whole settler idea is good, but big companies dont struggle with upkeep, so there's not much incentive to protect their stuff as the island owning company. 

I think ships not being able to be sunk, and even a small personal Freeport bank npc would go a long way in helping the little companies make this game fun again. 

There WERE a lot of players in this game wanting to do small companies, alot of them have quit, and the only reason I've been able to keep my progress since the wipe is Freeport tames, and a brig at 200% resist takes 16hours to sink in Freeport. Since my progress is relatively safe, it makes game progression fun. If I was progressing on a claim, it wouldn't be, because I know everytime I log off in battle time, I should expect it all to be wiped when i come back. 

So whenever something is working towards this saving progress of players that want to play with themselves and some friends, and not have the entire game done for them by a big company. 

Why I think they should model it around small company, no land claiming, and just living on lawless and freeports, then up to bigger companies keep land, and can have settlers.  

Do a small Freeport bank, and make ships unsinkable ,but raidable while offline, and smaller companies have a way to play the game. Atm if your not in a Freeport, as a small company, your stuff simply isn't remotely safe, doesnt matter if your defence cost 10000 gold a day, it wont stop players 

DOES THAT MEAN IF I SKILL ON RESSIST THE ship i can stay longer than 8 hours in freeport?

as solo player it would be helpful so long pve is ooffline !

only like the game for sailing around the world and dont get griefed by a poor sausage while im offline.

• Like 1

For all you guys who like to sink ramshackle and sloops of solo players; your mother would be so proud. Destroying a ship and crew of an unarmed vessel is so challenging. 
I bet if there was an option to mark your ship safe when anchored all you guys would use it other than spouting “ it’s pvp I’m so tired listening to you cry babies “. 

Oh, buy the way go ahead and bitch about me and this post. I’m not going to respond to anything anyone says so don’t waste your time. I bet I’m not alone in this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What would be great would be to leave the NA PVP server in hard mode server and test something a little less hard on the other servers like a pvpve, factions, offline protection options or even simpler a more efficient ground defenses (canon, puckle).

• Like 1

I Agree, I would rather spend more time in a pvp game fighting and less time building. Let raiders knock the doors off and kill the crew. They can still raid and take all the loot but doesnt force people to spend a day rebuilding before they can respond. Im all for anything that keeps the population up and creates more pvp fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MetalHead Mayhem said:

I Agree, I would rather spend more time in a pvp game fighting and less time building. Let raiders knock the doors off and kill the crew. They can still raid and take all the loot but doesnt force people to spend a day rebuilding before they can respond. Im all for anything that keeps the population up and creates more pvp fun.

Good and bad, it's a way that limits foundation wiping, but that's not exactly the issue here.  Takes like a day or two to build up.  Takes much longer to collect far away resources, blueprints, and amass gold.  If the raiders knock your doors down and raid you every two days.  You dont have much you can do to progress besides, collect stuff in Freeport, or at the bottom of the ocean.  So youd still have a base, but it wouldn't be worth using again. 

I just think we need to figure out how to have mostly online combat, because just like ark, online combat is actually usually fun. Offline raiding is a joke no matter how much defence is set up.  

So I think the main idea to work on is, how to prevent offline combat a bit, without implementing full ORP. 

full orp has exploit issues that will always be there. 

• Like 1