Mardoqueo

Animal Ridding Skill

Ahoy there fellow pathfinders. My wife and I just picked up this game and we are enjoying it a lot. We are Ark veterans, and we understand the game currently in "beta testing" so a lot of the negativity around that aspect doesn't bother us. 

With introduction out of the way. I really think the ridding skill needs to redone. You shouldn't have to invest a significant amount of points to ride an animal, AS LONG AS IT HAS A SADDLE.

Instead, leveling of your ride skill should givenyou efficiency bonuses. More stam, weight, DPS, harvest, whatever.

After all you dont need to invest levels into a captaining skill to pilot a vessel right? No, its a video game about ships, it wouldnt be fun if your forces to take points in a skill line you might not want, just to use a basic part of the game. Well animals are also a basic part of the game. From harvesting to simply riding to get somewhere fast. 

Im not saying getting rid of the ridding skill, rather allow people who invest become more efficient, and or allow people who invested to ride all animals, of appropriate tier, bare back. 

• Like 4

I'm split on this.  I tried to ride a horse, and it was a bad nightmare, felt weird and just didn't get used to it.  This 8yr old jumped on and started doing jumps and whatever else... thought to myself... after my experience that's just insanely adept.

In atlas, jumping on an elephant and harvesting trees etc, an attack bear, riding a tiger /wolf...   I am torn because as much as I'd like to say it's a game, that one would have to have a certain level of proficiency.  I think the riding skill is fairly valid.  The bonuses and perks you get with the utility of animals would be a bit OP, if you could do this by default.

Same with captaining.  -  tried to sail a yacht, and if you dont know what you're doing, that's pretty hard to do.............  I guess it's all to do with splitting skills amongst the company.  If everyone could do everything then it devalues everyone.  We have a small company and every role ship builder, weapons builder, animal tamer, structure builder, chef...  they're all valued roles, and gives people an identity.

I am not opposed to investing some points into riding.  I am opposed to people having to invest points into taming in order to ride.  I am opposed to people having to invest points into crafting, in order to use.  Create, and Use, should be two different trees, or at least two different branches in the tree.  Just as you do not have to invest in Sneak in order to tame, though only a fool would not invest in sneak.

• Like 5

😄 my bow and arrow does the sneaking for me lol   :classic_happy:

10 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I am opposed to people having to invest points into taming in order to ride.

That makes sense though!

Wait, just realised....   my GF had to tame me before being allowed to ride  :classic_blink:

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

😄 my bow and arrow does the sneaking for me lol   :classic_happy:

That makes sense though!

If you are a Solo, then yes, it makes sense to have to tame first.  However, with the trees separated, you can still select taming, and then riding, but if you have a tamer in the group, you don't have to select taming in order to ride.

im in agreement that having to put point in to ride or use better stuff is weird like you don't need to put points in caft it just use it is off feeling.

16 hours ago, Vorxius said:

Wait, just realised....   my GF had to tame me before being allowed to ride  :classic_blink:

U R doin it rong.

Riding wild is moar fun, just need the appropriate gear.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Mardoqueo said:

Ahoy there fellow pathfinders. My wife and I just picked up this game and we are enjoying it a lot. We are Ark veterans, and we understand the game currently in "beta testing" so a lot of the negativity around that aspect doesn't bother us. 

With introduction out of the way. I really think the ridding skill needs to redone. You shouldn't have to invest a significant amount of points to ride an animal, AS LONG AS IT HAS A SADDLE.

Instead, leveling of your ride skill should givenyou efficiency bonuses. More stam, weight, DPS, harvest, whatever.

After all you dont need to invest levels into a captaining skill to pilot a vessel right? No, its a video game about ships, it wouldnt be fun if your forces to take points in a skill line you might not want, just to use a basic part of the game. Well animals are also a basic part of the game. From harvesting to simply riding to get somewhere fast. 

Im not saying getting rid of the ridding skill, rather allow people who invest become more efficient, and or allow people who invested to ride all animals, of appropriate tier, bare back. 

Welcome to the boards, nice to have you and great first post. We are very much in agreement about your core point and I like your suggestion about proficiency bonuses as an alternative.

They do really need to separate out the crafting/skill bonus lines. It makes no sense you need high end armour smithing to wear high end armour, max shipwright to increase map sight, taming to ride.

Hell I'm surprised you don't need to be a chef to eat high level foods.

• Thanks 1

I think the Ops idea is worthy of discussion.  Anyone should be able to ride.  Now ride, harvest and fight effeciently is another matter and skills to perfect that would be a welcome addition if done right. 

I also dislike the idea you have to use skill points to use a rifle or tool that does more damage or harvests more.  Its the same damn thing......just better built. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 2

Thanks, guys!  I really like the added-on comments that the idea should extend to tool/gears usage too. I'm starting to run into that where my wife went one way on the tec tree and I went another, but we thought it would balance out and be more of a communal experience,  instead, its more of a solo game that you can never really get caught up in. I don't mind the communal part, its refreshing. but as people are saying, we shouldn't have to take skill tree/invest in order to ride a saddle animal OR use gears of any type. I get not being as efficient as the person who makes the gears, but I should still know how to use a pick, regardless of the quality.

Edited by Mardoqueo
  • Like 1

I got fired from work today.  I forgot to train my business causal skills so I showed up naked. 

Yeah that makes perfect sense.  Put it in the game! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I got fired from work today.  I forgot to train my business causal skills so I showed up naked. 

Yeah that makes perfect sense.  Put it in the game! 

I spit beer all over myself when I read that.  to funny