Captain Jack Shadow

Please fix this nonsense...soon.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:57 PM, DocHolliday said:

If you want to be taken seriously drop the childish attention grabbing headlines and approach the issue like a professional.  Take your emotion out of it and show nothing but facts.  Threats of quitting the game and passive aggressive attacks tend to be ignored.  Its a self fulfilling prophecy. 

Having said that I do agree with you that these issues need to be looked at.  When?  Soon would be nice, but I do not know their scheduling.  Need to have the time and resources to dedicate to this issue.  I've been told some ARK mods seem to handle building better so maybe they can tap some of that experience.

Unfortunately, you have to do something to get attention.  This is not a new problem.  It has been around for years.  It is an ARK relic, and has not been fixed there...after many "professional" posts asking for a fix.  It's the main reason anyone wanting to build cool looking structures, HAD TO go to unofficial to do it.

• Like 1

Also, the title is 100% accurate of the current situation.  It IS nonsense that we cannot make walls go all the way to the ground, to both close off access under our bases, and to make the building look at least somewhat realistic.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. I and nearly everyone and every building I've encountered used foundations to get around this (which sucks). I played (and still do) ARK solo. There is an ini setting to enable terrain clipping. I haven't looked at the ATLAS ini at all, but I would assume this is easy enough to enable or, if not implemented, implement. It doesn't break anything, even in a PVP environment (because you can just... break into the wall tile next to it). Aesthetically, however, it would help... extremely.

Also... cobras.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 7:35 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

20190501222021_1.jpg

20190430040046_1.jpg

20190430040053_1.jpg

20190430034459_1.jpg

20190429231227_1.jpg

It's really quite simple. Create a separate category for building structures, with different rules, if not already done.  Allow them to clip into the terrain, but not crafting or storage structures.  S+ has already done this for ARK when used as a mod.  Objects can clip, into terrain and other objects, but crafting and storage containers that clip even just a little bit into something else, cannot be accessed.  Thus no exploit.

But this current coding has created the situation above...access under a would be base structure, because you cannot close it off.

With s+ already being on pc for ark a long time ago I am pretty disappointed they didn’t already have it here with atlas. 

This doea happen to be an issue with me. It would have been an easy add. Especially since they actually have some “paid” ark mods that are on the grapeshot payroll.

what is really going to be sad is if they add it later on as a “new” mod. That is old news already. I am really starting to worry that they don’t have the content needed so they will have to go back to their original ideas of how to hype people. Oh well, I’ll be expecting it.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 4:04 AM, Vorxius said:

Can I just add to allow the bookshelf to go on a single deck?  I tried on the galleon and it will only go on a double height room.  The graphic easily fits, but I guess its hitbox is somewhat bigger...

:classic_sad:

use it in a one story area, take the ceiling out where you want to put it, then replace the ceiling.

50 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

use it in a one story area, take the ceiling out where you want to put it, then replace the ceiling.

This is the work around, at the moment, but it really sucks if you have something on the ceiling above, that is valuable.  You shouldn't have to demolish a ceiling to place a bookshelf.  The long term fix is to correct the collision box of the bookshelf so that it can be properly placed, just like a large storage box.  I mean, how hard can that be?  I would have assumed that they would have just used the collision box from the large storage box, since they are similar in size.

1 hour ago, trqfreak350 said:

This was for use on a boat, i'd have to demolish the entire upper deck, dumb me decided to put the furniture in last, and figured:   Hey that'll fit lol.

nope 😞

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

This is the work around, at the moment, but it really sucks if you have something on the ceiling above, that is valuable.  You shouldn't have to demolish a ceiling to place a bookshelf.  The long term fix is to correct the collision box of the bookshelf so that it can be properly placed, just like a large storage box.  I mean, how hard can that be?  I would have assumed that they would have just used the collision box from the large storage box, since they are similar in size.

clearly we all know that the long term fix is to fix the collision on it, a workaround is a workaround, why make everything into such a big deal, i've ripped apart ships to place things, i've torn bases apart because of bad collision, and placement issues, it is what it is. use the workaround

23 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

clearly we all know that the long term fix is to fix the collision on it, a workaround is a workaround, why make everything into such a big deal, i've ripped apart ships to place things, i've torn bases apart because of bad collision, and placement issues, it is what it is. use the workaround

It is a big deal.  Not sure why you think that game mechanics not working properly is not a big deal.  This is an easily fixed problem.

12 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

It is a big deal.  Not sure why you think that game mechanics not working properly is not a big deal.  This is an easily fixed problem.

because it's really not gamebreaking, at all, it's a bookshelf... honestly of all the bugs and hitches in this game, that's the one i've never even given a second thought to, we're 5 months into Early Access on this, patience is key. besides if previous titles show what's coming you're going to be starting all kinds of ranty threads.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

because it's really not gamebreaking, at all, it's a bookshelf... honestly of all the bugs and hitches in this game, that's the one i've never even given a second thought to, we're 5 months into Early Access on this, patience is key. besides if previous titles show what's coming you're going to be starting all kinds of ranty threads.

Yeah, it's not a big deal, until you realize that you need to put a book shelf into your ship, and the only place that makes sense, is right under a deck, and so it won't snap in...or under a ceiling, and there are things above that ceiling that you don't want to demolish.

Here's the thing...this is an easy fix.  Reduce the vertical value for the collision box.   It's the same old story...unpolished EA games where these little problems never get fixed, because there are always bigger fish to fry.  And they never get around to them because they are too busy making new content.  Here's a thought...take some time to polish the game.  Fix these little issues.  Each one by itself may not be huge, but they add up.

By the time nobody is interested in the game, it's still not polished...same old story.

i'm not a game developer, i won't pretend to know how to fix it or how easy a fix it is, pre-plan your build, i'm sure you knew you were going to put a bookshelf of all things in there for the maps you're sailing around collecting, and digging up.

12 minutes ago, trqfreak350 said:

i'm not a game developer, i won't pretend to know how to fix it or how easy a fix it is, pre-plan your build, i'm sure you knew you were going to put a bookshelf of all things in there for the maps you're sailing around collecting, and digging up.

How about no.  How about games actually get fixed.  What a novel concept, right?

• Like 1

okay, don't pre plan and keep running into the same problems, if you're such a great developer, and coder, why don't you volunteer your time to fix said bugs?

How about the devs do the fixing.   Or, we can have the public fix crime, instead of the police, and have the public teach kids, instead of teachers, and the public fix the plumbing instead of plumbers...yeah, what a weird concept of having the Devs fix problems with the game.

• Like 1

Relax man, it's a video game, don't lose sight of that, your're on and on about a game in early access with developers that are actively working on adding content... i'm not against them fixing things, but there isn't a point of fixing every little "non-gamebreaking" little thing that you can easily pre-plan for and work around when the things could get broken in a patch later down the development path. you seem to have all the answers though, i'll leave you to it.

On 5/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, trqfreak350 said:

Relax man, it's a video game, don't lose sight of that, your're on and on about a game in early access with developers that are actively working on adding content... i'm not against them fixing things, but there isn't a point of fixing every little "non-gamebreaking" little thing that you can easily pre-plan for and work around when the things could get broken in a patch later down the development path. you seem to have all the answers though, i'll leave you to it.

You were saying?

20190515194352_1.jpg

This is game breaking.

20190515194411_1.jpg

20190515194532_1.jpg

20190515194628_1.jpg

20190515194641_1.jpg

20190515194703_1.jpg

20190515194714_1.jpg

Now oddly, I was able to put a wood roof, converted to wood stairs, into that hole.

I agree with the captain, one of big plus in Conan Exiles vs Atlas is the snapping of parts into the mesh.

If you chance that i promise you one critical post less per month 😉👍🏻

I like when you goto place a piece.. its all blue, its the direction you want.. you place and bam its a tile above or beside.. or even on the right tile just facing another direction

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 3:18 PM, Sulfurblade said:

Go bugger off,,,,  Everyone in this game can understand how frustrating the building is and we certainly don't need you white knighting!!!

Yes we all can.  That does not excuse the behavior and forcing the devs to parse through emotionally driven responses is a PITA.  Drop the bullshit.  Post the facts.  Clean it up and make it easy to understand and fix.  You'll be amazed how much more attention you can get from the people who support these things if you treat them with some respect and drop the crap and talk to them in a professional manner. 

I agree with everything he is saying in terms of the issues presented.  I just think he needs to change his presentation of these issues. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Yes we all can.  That does not excuse the behavior and forcing the devs to parse through emotionally driven responses is a PITA.  Drop the bullshit.  Post the facts.  Clean it up and make it easy to understand and fix.  You'll be amazed how much more attention you can get from the people who support these things if you treat them with some respect and drop the crap and talk to them in a professional manner. 

I agree with everything he is saying in terms of the issues presented.  I just think he needs to change his presentation of these issues. 

Excuse what behavior?  Calling nonsense what it is?  There is nothing at all inflammatory, or immature about the post.   This isn't a bug where nobody knows it exists.  This is a problem that still exists to this day in ARK.  It's not new.  At some point, games need to be polished, and have persistent bugs fixed.  If there is an exploit that they are trying to stop with this...fix the exploit, and remove this old, crusty bandage that was used to cover it up.  There is a problem in games today, where no professional testing is done anymore, and we, the players, run from one early access game, to the next.  By the time the game gets even close to being polished, the player base has largely moved on.  Some because they got tired of the half finished game, and others because they just player it so much, they are now bored with it.  They are now playing the latest early access game.  It's a never ending vicious cycle.  I wish gaming would go back to the way it was when you didn't download, so everything had to be on the CD...the game had to be polished before it shipped.

Then, in these early access games, the only way things get fixed is to make noise about what you don't like.  A silent player base is assumed to be happy.  I would love to be able to just go in and play the game, but it's broke, like every other game these days.  Like how the eff do you mess up Mass Effect Andromeda?  How do you take a winning formula and just trash it like that?

I haven't even gotten to the cheating that goes on, in this game, and so many others.  But, we should at least be able to make proper structures that work.  The number of times I run into this NONSENSE where a things just won't snap in, or say they are blocked, or appear to highlight where it will snap in, but jumps to another snap point, over and over and over and over.  Shall we talk about how gates will only snap inline to an existing wall, not perpendicular to an existing wall, and won't snap inline, or perpendicular to an existing gate?  Shall we talk abut how the book case is visually small enough, but physically too tall for a one wall high structure, forcing you to find a work around or just say eff it when there is too much above where you want to place it...too much trouble to demolish something like a resource chest, or several storage containers, just to be able to remove the ceiling, so the book shelf can be placed.  How about the fact that a wood ladder won't snap into a hatch frame that is one wall above a floor?

I am not being unreasonable.  I am not crying over something like the unpolished way that structures snap into the ships, leaving unrealistic, and unsightly gaps, etc...  I fully understand that this is something new, and needs time to be polished.  I am talking about issues that have been a part of this game engine for years.  It's past time for this to be fixed.

• Like 1

I'm bumping this old thread back up.

Atlas is currently in a QOL stage... This needs to be sorted. Walls (including large), foundations, pillars, gates etc absolutely should be able to clip through terrain. I don't know how its been set up game side but I've noticed SOME structures can clip, so I am presuming each structure has a flag that can be enabled / disabled for terrain collision etc, surely some of these can be tweaked?

Yall need to get outta here with your reasonable requests and concerns, this is the wrong game for that.

Theyre busy trying to get Console ATLAS to work.

Edited by Inigo

On 5/2/2019 at 4:35 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

It's really quite simple. Create a separate category for building structures, with different rules, if not already done.  Allow them to clip into the terrain, but not crafting or storage structures.  S+ has already done this for ARK when used as a mod.  Objects can clip, into terrain and other objects, but crafting and storage containers that clip even just a little bit into something else, cannot be accessed.  Thus no exploit.

But this current coding has created the situation above...access under a would be base structure, because you cannot close it off.

while i agree with you 100% this is Grape Shot we are talking about, they will just sit their asses and wait for a mod to fix it, then copy paste his code in, so you need to ask modders to do it not the developers