I really like the idea of connecting the lenght of the peace-time with the Island size! I suggest the smallest Island (15 Point) to have 3 hours and the biggest Island 9 hours. And then go from there fitting the diffrent sizes inbetween.

16 hours ago, Leapdave said:

So you're a bigger company or your members do nothing else... you clearly think those 2 things should be required in order to play

... because it's not reasonable to cover the whole 9 hours. It sounds like you agree with me. 7 hours would be coverable. Thanks for the support

Not sure if you are trying to agree with me but this is a great point. A well defended island that can't be taken in 7 hours *also* can't be taken in 9 hours, so a war token or many consecutive days would be required

Idk if I am agreeing with you - probably not, because I think more peace phase would be welcomed. This game owes its steady player numbers to ORP. To weaken the ability to wipe someone would do well to increase casual numbers.

None of this matters.  As soon as that small company draws the ire of a larger company and that larger company wants them wiped they will be wiped.  Doesn't matter if its a 9 hour war phase or 2 hour.  Its going to happen.  Then the bitching continues about company sizes, limits on alliances, make the game so I can play with my 2 buddies crap.

This game aspires to be bigger.  If it ever gets there you can kiss owning an island with a couple of your buddies good bye.  Each island will be claimed and have quite a few residents.  50-100 player pops in a server will be average across all zones.  I'd love to see it get there and it never will if we  keep making things smaller. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

None of this matters.  As soon as that small company draws the ire of a larger company and that larger company wants them wiped they will be wiped.  Doesn't matter if its a 9 hour war phase or 2 hour.  Its going to happen.  Then the bitching continues about company sizes, limits on alliances, make the game so I can play with my 2 buddies crap.

This game aspires to be bigger.  If it ever gets there you can kiss owning an island with a couple of your buddies good bye.  Each island will be claimed and have quite a few residents.  50-100 player pops in a server will be average across all zones.  I'd love to see it get there and it never will if we  keep making things smaller. 

If that would be the case, the smaller companies too will have a chance to increase their numbers, due to all that fresh blood coming in. Again allowing them to retain their islands.

But it is not going that way. The steady numbers are here because of ORP, and let us face it, majority of PVP official players that have remained now belong to a zerg company (over 50 strong).

Vast majority of initial players though, hated the idea of being in a larger company, where honestly, regular players are reduced to a repairman and farmer role, and a meat shield case of war. All the fun in a zerg is had by owner and admins 😉 The rest can be kicked whenever the owner and admins decide they dont slave/farm/obey that much, or if they build something owner does not like. Some remained in the zerg, exclusively because sense of security in a herd.

Majority of players, that we have seen in the launch, were solos or buddies, who wanted their own thing. Failing to do that, they already left ATLAS. If devs continue to cater to zerg, and don't offer something spectacular fro pvp official solos or small, it is not gonna get bigger.

One of the handicaps that come to mind is reduced resource farm intake the more members you have.

up to 10 members = no penalty. Each aditional member=less yield per node.

But I can understand that now from their perspective. Zerh  is all they have left. So now they must cater to them-

Edited by gnihar

Honestly, I would like them to lower the combat phase down to 8 hours, but that's only because then it gives a time schedule that will fit more into people's lives. Other than that, it shouldn't be made any shorter.

Larger companies are having a terrible time taking islands from other companies because it's so difficult to do so with the current mechanics, EVEN with a 9 hour raid window if you don't take the flag they will build defences back up by the next day. Additionally, if a flag under capture is being contested it will reset to 1 hour which means you just need to have an ally stand in the circle once an hour to properly defend the island until it goes peacetime.

As for small companies it's simple. If you don't want to defend for 9 hours a day or do not have the resources/people/commitment required, then maybe you should consider living on someone else's island and negotiate a fair tax rate with them? There are plenty of larger tribes willing to allow people on their island for that reason now that they benefit from having people with them. You can't decide that you want your very own island without the commitment it takes to own and defend that island. There are plenty of islands that are left vacant as well so don't complain that you can't find anywhere to go because there's plenty of space available to build on.

To the OP. Take what I said above about small companies and do that. You mention that your ships are sunk and your base has been raided while you are offline and that it has happened multiple times. What that tells me is you were afk raided multiple times and so you got to keep your island. If you can't install proper boat defenses then you should go live on someone's island with a harbour because there are plenty of people who have spent countless hours farming so that they can keep boats safe. It's a service so don't expect it for free but it might be better than having to keep building everything once more.

• Like 1

8 hours to me does seem more logical.  9 seemed like an odd choice to me.  Maybe that's just because a lot of people work 8 hour days and it evenly divides into a 24 hour day.    🤷‍♂️

As to the comment above me I agree 100%.  We own an island that small companies are allowed to live on.  Many of our allies do as well.  These islands are deep inside our territory and if anyone comes into our zone we do not know we investigate.  If its someone already on our shitlist they are sunk immediately.  If they are unknown we initiate talks with them to find out their intentions.  We also let them know what happens when they mess with anyone in our grid.  The solos and small companies in our grid keep us informed of whats going on as well and we all work together to keep the place safe.  There has even been a few occasions that an enemy showed up and our tax payers chased after them with a couple of their ships and sunk them.  This is known to everyone around us.  It works and works well. 

Relationships form, strengthen and now our tax payers trade with us.  We find out what they need and they do the same and we get it for each other.  We've traded them large tames for rare resources they picked up.  One of the solos was a very good player and ended up joining an ally.  Overall I am very pleased with the new system. 

Edited by DocHolliday

You're a fool who wants this game dead for all but 100 of you

On 5/13/2019 at 6:57 PM, Dingiva said:

And if that means we have 1 or 2 hours where noone is protecting our base - so be it.

Great answer!! You have no answer and everything is vulnerable, easily enough time to sink every ship you have unless you have an island with a nice inlet or sandbar. All you're saying is that you haven't had it happen to you yet. That's *not* a good thing (but I don't expect any rational thought out of you at this point)

On 5/13/2019 at 6:57 PM, Dingiva said:

Player A: "I cant kill XY, it should be nerfed, its has too much armor!"

Are you sure that's the problem? Or maybe is the problem "I was only online for 80% of the time, but people prefer to fight things that don't fight back"

Just try fighting players! The lag isn't in a great spot right now for huge battles but you might actually like player combat even better than fighting crew!

They make lots of games for people like you where there are no enemy players at all! Just AI to fight

If you want to change this to something it was not designed to be then have at it.  Your vision does not align with mine and I do not see it succeeding.  It would only survive and exist.  Any game meant to have tens of thousands of players in the same PvP world will be populated with companies and alliances that are larger then you like whether you like it or not.  This is in inevitability shown true time and time again.  You can artificially cap these things and all it will do is drive away those who wish for larger wars, stakes, politics and mayhem. 

In the end this game will not be for everyone and it looks like a lot of people came here wanting to make it how they want it to be and not what it was marketed as. 

• Like 1

Im gonna have to agree with OP  on this. Combat timer is pretty excessive imo. The war tokens dont really have much value unless you are hitting companies with multiple islands. I want a 4 hour combat phase with war tokens costing half what they currently do. 

4 hours is still a long time to wreck a whole island with how broken defense versus raiding is. I can outrange and destroy npcs on puckles easilly with bear cannons and quite frankly stone building parts are piss weak. 90 cannon balls to get through tripple stacked stone walls on a base. And only 270 cannon balls to get through effectivley 9 layers of stone wall. All of this and the fact that i outrange puckles with the cannon bear so i go completely unmolested against base defenses. Even mortars are easy to get rid of. I simply climb up to their mortar nests and throw a couple of grenades to get rid of them. With the current raiding mechanics i am able to raid an entire island of bases and popcorn everything the defenders own before the combat phase is finished. All of this with a bear wagon, some climbing picks and a pocket full of grenades. Its been too easy to raid. Its getting boring tbh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polar Express said:

Im gonna have to agree with OP  on this. Combat timer is pretty excessive imo. The war tokens dont really have much value unless you are hitting companies with multiple islands. I want a 4 hour combat phase with war tokens costing half what they currently do. 

4 hours is still a long time to wreck a whole island with how broken defense versus raiding is. I can outrange and destroy npcs on puckles easilly with bear cannons and quite frankly stone building parts are piss weak. 90 cannon balls to get through tripple stacked stone walls on a base. And only 270 cannon balls to get through effectivley 9 layers of stone wall. All of this and the fact that i outrange puckles with the cannon bear so i go completely unmolested against base defenses. Even mortars are easy to get rid of. I simply climb up to their mortar nests and throw a couple of grenades to get rid of them. With the current raiding mechanics i am able to raid an entire island of bases and popcorn everything the defenders own before the combat phase is finished. All of this with a bear wagon, some climbing picks and a pocket full of grenades. Its been too easy to raid. Its getting boring tbh

What kind of bases are you raiding???? And why are there no defenders that kick your ass??? I wanna see you take the Island from real established companies in 4 hours. Don't forget you need 1 hour to declaim and 1 hour to claim. And this within the war-window. Some days ago one of our allies was the entire 9 hours under attack from a mega-corp with 3times the numbers and a full functioning supply-line. They did not loose their Island and did not take fatal dmg.

I stick to the suggestion that timers should be connected to the Island-size. There are as example some 20-points Island that are nothing more than some small rocks. You can't build any defense there at all. No need for 9 hours war-time. And then there are this huge monster Island - with so much ground to cover and so good defensive building-options -> nobody will ever take those within 9 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinappia said:

What kind of bases are you raiding???? And why are there no defenders that kick your ass??? I wanna see you take the Island from real established companies in 4 hours. Don't forget you need 1 hour to declaim and 1 hour to claim. And this within the war-window. Some days ago one of our allies was the entire 9 hours under attack from a mega-corp with 3times the numbers and a full functioning supply-line. They did not loose their Island and did not take fatal dmg.

I stick to the suggestion that timers should be connected to the Island-size. There are as example some 20-points Island that are nothing more than some small rocks. You can't build any defense there at all. No need for 9 hours war-time. And then there are this huge monster Island - with so much ground to cover and so good defensive building-options -> nobody will ever take those within 9 hours.

Your idea that timers should be corralated to island sizes is a very good one. I would agree with that being a good fix. 

As for the bases i am able to raid. Generally i come up against 2-4 defenders if that. Sometimes i havent even been opposed. Griefing is very easy as i just need to pop a single plank off an anchored ship using a bear cannon or crab. This is usually how a raid starts. The defenders dont usually start doing anything until after i have gotten into their mortar nests and destroyed beds and ladders in the vicinity and destroyed the ammo crate( usually out in the open on a cliff platform)

Once mortars are out of the way i work my way around with my guys using bear carts with swivels and cannons. I use swivel bear to find max range of puckles or towers ( which alot of players must have bad settings on as many times the npcs dont even shoot) and then i line of sight them with bear cannons. 

Crabs make getting over walls and up onto high up bases very easy due to the fact i can just jump up over defenses and let grenades do the rest. 

When players attempt to fight back they generally try to hide in their base or near it and use carbines. Rarely have i seen anyone use the crab and bear swivel carts only real threat, which is the ballista ( i would reccomend placing some around the  inner sides of your walls facing your base or ships  to kill crabs that jump over your walls)

When players leave their base they generally have 1-2 bear or horse swivel carts max. I usually make sure i put a line of pillars near where i land my raid gear for these carts to get stuck on and then spam them across the island im raiding as i ride around. 

Many players have alot of free build spots at the entrances to their harbours so occasionally ill pillar the entrace to sink their ships as the try to sail them off to an island at peace in their sector during a raid. When i do this ill occasionally sink 1 or 2 of their ships.

The majority of fail raids on my part take place when the company i am raiding have allies in their sector that are willing to attempt to sink my raid boat. Flame swivels generally kill my raid mounts before i even land them in the best case which is smart on the defenders side. I will give credit there. 

When the defenders turtle up is usually a good opportunity to raid as many other bases on their island as possible. I can have 1-3 guys shoot at their base and make them think they are doing a good job defending while i send a single bear cart around popping bases open.

Im telling you this because, yes, this is what i do when raiding, but i have also been on the recieving side of some of these tactics in the past. That is why i started copying them. I want players to be able to defend. I dont like how easy raiding is in general. Stone walls should be hard to destroy. A solo with a well built base should be able to rely on his walls, puckles and pvp ability to defend. He should be able to leave his base while some dick head with a single bear cart is shooting at his base, put up a fight somewhere else on the island for 5 minutes and not come back to a totally destroyed and popcorned base. A single plank on a green anchored ship being popped off shouldnt mean that entire blueprinted galleon should sink in 5 minutes. I dont like doing it, but it is the current way you need to raid to min max your win. 

I never claim islands either. Trying to find a naked or two running around and hiding even after their base is gone is just stupid. Just raid their shit, sink their boats kill neutral tames and leave. Im not trying to stone age people. Just put them back in their adva ncement so they need to waste time rebuilding everything. This is unfortunatley the meta, i dont like it so im now speaking up against it. I genrally only raid groups that grief or raid me or my allies. I am completely neutral to other companies otherwise. 

Edited by Polar Express
  • Like 1

Also. To all the smaller companies out there. 

Be open to merges. Be open to living on a bigger company's island. 

Your company title will not stop you from being griefed, offlined or raided. There are plenty of arseholes on this game. They may just come by and dedtry your things because they are opportunistic or wanting to show that they can. There are people who will just not like you for whatever reason. You cant stop their behaviour. 

The only thing that will stop them is players. Players fighting them on your behalf or players in your company defending your things. You will be a victim until you can defend your things. Building on a large company's island will help you. Merging will mean more players. Raiders, offliners and griefers generally dont like being outnumbered or even having an equal playing field. They will hit you again and again until they cant because you have more numbers. Being better at the game doesnt always stop them from landing raid mounts. Having more defenders usually puts you in the "too hard basket" and they keep sailing to find a weaker easier raid target. 

Exactly the thread I expected following the New pvp system. I still suggest devs Start thinking about company skills so players have to make decisions instead of devs changing that peace timer until moon crushes onto earth.

• Like 1

Would it not be better to have a dynamic peace timer?

The islands with small size and small player pool to have more peace. Perhaps like this:

- smaller islands get less war time (2 hrs minimum)

- from there, each company member adds certain additional minutes of war time per island

- from there, each allied company member adds smaller fraction of minutes of war time per island

That way, zergs with tons of members, allies and a big island would get a non stop war time, while smaller would be protected.

Edited by gnihar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gnihar said:

The islands with small size and small player pool to have more peace. Perhaps like this:

- from there, each company member adds certain additional minutes of war time per island

- from there, each allied company member adds smaller fraction of minutes of war time per island

That way, zergs with tons of members, allies and a big island would get a non stop war time, while smaller would be protected.

This is a good idea. 

9 hours, and you can't defend?!?! get more diverse company members bra, and stop blaming the game. its already easy mode. If it's still rough for you, there's always the PVE servers. 

22 hours ago, gnihar said:

are you really so short sighted to think that those changes would stop anything? this is why you should load up a different game. In a game like Atlas, when the rules change, it only changes the way that large companies get around the rules. Dynamic peace timer . .  . really? check out pvp NA/ A8 island. hasn't been claimed since the wipe, you know why? because the island is too big, costs too much, and provides no benefit. therefore it is agreed that larger companies simply use it for maps. you tell me how that fits in your "i'd make the game better by making it easier for solo players" dynamic. 

4 hours ago, BurgsideTiger said:

are you really so short sighted to think that those changes would stop anything? this is why you should load up a different game. In a game like Atlas, when the rules change, it only changes the way that large companies get around the rules. Dynamic peace timer . .  . really? check out pvp NA/ A8 island. hasn't been claimed since the wipe, you know why? because the island is too big, costs too much, and provides no benefit. therefore it is agreed that larger companies simply use it for maps. you tell me how that fits in your "i'd make the game better by making it easier for solo players" dynamic. 

Ok, the zerg takes smaller island.

But if they went along with idea like this, it is not only island size that counts towards war phase: it is member count AND ally count as well.

We are talking possible PERMANENT war phase on all big companies islands here.

They can't get around the member cap war phase extension, not unles they split into dozens of UNALLIED companies, and then GL with ATLAS metagaming and discording all that.

Believe me, I led big tribes and I know exactly how time consuming metagaming and out of game organization can be, and how often people do not do like leadership has told them to 🙂

Puckles and ai defense firing on each other, no way to tell friend from foe in long range or short range battle. Would make a HELL to them.

Edited by gnihar

Guys, I thought this game is about the Sea, about sea battles, on ships ... at sea. And now it turns out that the game is about ground pvp. I know a few companies that are very good at ground pvp and do not have any warships at all. With such system these companies will always WIN. With this balance we have: 8 hours at work, 2 hours a day for food, 5 hours of sleep per day, 9 hours ground pvp ... Tell me, when can I set the sail? After all, this is a game about the Sea. Or not? Or is this game = ARK 2.0?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sergey said:

Guys, I thought this game is about the Sea, about sea battles, on ships ... at sea. And now it turns out that the game is about ground pvp. I know a few companies that are very good at ground pvp and do not have any warships at all. With such system these companies will always WIN. With this balance we have: 8 hours at work, 2 hours a day for food, 5 hours of sleep per day, 9 hours ground pvp ... Tell me, when can I set the sail? After all, this is a game about the Sea. Or not? Or is this game = ARK 2.0?

Ships can serve as good defense.

They can be used to intercept and harass the invasion fleet even before they land on your island.

But by the material I saw in game, only a few tribes have such coordinated defense as mine to detect invasion on time and to even launch ships to intercept even before the mortar work and launch of swivel bears.

Edited by gnihar

On 5/2/2019 at 1:43 AM, zwt2135 said:

No the combat phase is fine where it is. Stop crying about it.

Actually, it would have been a lot better if it was "Offline-Raid Protected" so that if everyone from a company has been offline for more than 20 minutes, all of their structures and tames would have been protected from offline griefers. No need for the silly open hours of PVP, just add the ORP flag and those that feel that they need to rape and pillage can go fight peeps that are actually online and better prepared for their invasion.

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sergey said:

This game lost its "SHIP" appeal when they made it extremely easy for your ships to be sunk nightly, while you were offline sleeping or at work. No one enjoys spending their time and resources building ships, arming, and crewing those ships, just to log in the very next morning to see them all destroyed to offline griefers. This game has been a real Offline Griefer's Wet dream... 

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, BurgsideTiger said:

9 hours, and you can't defend?!?! get more diverse company members bra, and stop blaming the game. its already easy mode. If it's still rough for you, there's always the PVE servers. 

OR, if it isn't rough enough for YOU, you may leave for an unofficial PVP server bra...Fuck you to think that YOU get to make the rules or tell other players what to do.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:28 AM, Polar Express said:

Also. To all the smaller companies out there. 

Be open to merges. Be open to living on a bigger company's island. 

Your company title will not stop you from being griefed, offlined or raided. There are plenty of arseholes on this game. They may just come by and dedtry your things because they are opportunistic or wanting to show that they can. There are people who will just not like you for whatever reason. You cant stop their behaviour. 

The only thing that will stop them is players. Players fighting them on your behalf or players in your company defending your things. You will be a victim until you can defend your things. Building on a large company's island will help you. Merging will mean more players. Raiders, offliners and griefers generally dont like being outnumbered or even having an equal playing field. They will hit you again and again until they cant because you have more numbers. Being better at the game doesnt always stop them from landing raid mounts. Having more defenders usually puts you in the "too hard basket" and they keep sailing to find a weaker easier raid target. 

OR, maybe the current design of the game isn't to par yet and still needs some tweaking to correct this? Just because you have excepted the game the way it is does not mean that it is actually the way it should be...

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/24/2019 at 11:35 PM, Polar Express said:

Good, I am glad it is getting boring for you. I never could understand the mentality of players that feel that they need to destroy everyone else's hard work unprovoked. What is the point in raiding anyways? You end up wasting time and resources and generally gain very little in return. You could have spent that time to farm loot from maps or resources for yourself and been better off. Maybe raiders with this kind of mentality will learn that ATLAS is not about raiding player's bases, it is about sailing the seas adventuring, exploring, and Ship-to-ship PVP combative encounters.

Edited by vaylain
  • Like 1