Combat phase is too long. It should be 6 or 7 hours. There is value in making a game playable for people who do other things too

A very average person with a job can not be available for 9 hours straight. A company all based in the same country (obviously USA) should not be expected to be online for that long. This is assuming the point of peace phase is to prevent offline raiding. A company should also not be required to recruit people from multiple companies in order to cover the combat time slot

Obviously my island was raided last night for a couple of hours after we went to bed (because we are productive members of society) and all of our ships were destroyed. The alternative of combat phase starting 3 hours before we would be home in the afternoon is not really any better

Sure, it's pvp mode but fighting npc crew and anchored ships is not pvp. There is no npc setup that can stop just a few players from destroying *at least* all of your ships even for a couple of hours

Edited by Leapdave

11 minutes ago, Leapdave said:

Combat phase is too long. It should be 6 or 7 hours. There is value in making a game playable for people who do other things too

A very average person with a job can not be available for 9 hours straight. A company all based in the same country (obviously USA) should not be expected to be online for that long. This is assuming the point of peace phase is to prevent offline raiding. A company should also not be required to recruit people from multiple companies in order to cover the combat time slot

Obviously my island was raided last night for a couple of hours after we went to bed (because we are productive members of society) and all of our ships were destroyed. The alternative of combat phase starting 3 hours before we would be home in the afternoon is not really any better

Sure, it's pvp mode but fighting npc crew and anchored ships is not pvp. There is no npc setup that can stop just a few players from destroying *at least* all of your ships even for a couple of hours

You should set your battle phase earlier. More people play at night than early afternoon. 

I highly doubt more people are on at 1:30am on a wednesdave than early afternoon

That's not a great option either. People from Europe 8:00pm (or anyone) would have around 3 hours to completely cripple your ability to fight, then you log on with your island surrounded, left with no defense... holding your jimmy in your hand

Then they have 6 hours to bombard your island. Especially if it's a small island. Just pray you have allies that didn't get their ships destroyed as well... great way to make a game

They could throw small groups a bone and scale the time by group size.  Like a couple hours less for the little guys and a couple more for big.

• Like 3

No the combat phase is fine where it is. Stop crying about it.

Edited by zwt2135

Combat phase are too long for small groupe.

We are 6-9 players connected every evening for 3h to 5h. We will see if the last change on NPC prevent somes bases or ships attack when we are not online.

5 hours ago, zwt2135 said:

No the combat phase is fine where it is. Stop crying about it.

Do you have any reason or points behind this? Currently it appears that you enjoy fighting npc crew and anchored ships... probably because you're so skilled that players aren't a challenge for you

When did I say that? When did I say that it would be great to fight npc crew and anchored ships? What I said was that the combat timer is fine where it is. The problem with this community and game is there are so many people who cry because its to hard for them. The devs already made it easier by adding a very long peace phase. If you do not want any pvp then go to the pve mode that is what it is there for.

To respond to your question have you ever tried to raid a base before? It can take upwards of 3 to 5 hours if it properly defended and all their players are online. Especially now that they made all seated npc units invincible. The problem is people are not creative enough with how they build defenses. They have zero understanding of tactics and how people raid. There are alot of people who do understand these principles and do not get raided when they are offline.

7 minutes ago, zwt2135 said:

If you do not want any pvp then go to the pve mode that is what it is there for.

AI crew and anchored ships are not pvp... again. 

8 minutes ago, zwt2135 said:

The problem is people are not creative enough with how they build defenses.

Most islands do not have any possible way to stop your ships from being destroyed if you are offline. Be as creative as you want, but you're not stopping 100 cannon balls from destroying 1 plank and sinking your boat

15 minutes ago, zwt2135 said:

It can take upwards of 3 to 5 hours if it properly defended and all their players are online.

Or it can take 1 to 3 if their players are not online. It sounds like you are supporting me now. 7 hour combat phase. Offline raiding is not healthy for the game to be profitable nor long lasting

No man just no. The problem is if you make it such a small window there is no way to launch a surprise attack. Say what you want but if you always know when you are getting attacked it takes the fun out of the game not to mention its a terrible tactic. That's why we stopped line combat back in the civil war.

This is the most ridiculous counter argument I have actually encountered so far. The civil war did not have people that didn't know they are being attacked because they were in another reality at their job. If you don't have a day job more power to you but there are plenty of people *online* if your are itching for a fight

Islands are still very difficult to take (which is good), the only surprise attack you are defending is sinking anchored ships while people are offline 

You are helping to make the game worse and you will never see it. You should evaluate your life and just fight players... you know... the ones that are online

I agree for small companies the timer is way too long. But that's just a symptom of the much bigger issue of how do you balance both small and large companies on a single shard. If you reduced the combat phase people like ZWT2135 complain. If the time scaled by member count like DOCOLDS suggested then people would have shell companies with minimal member counts that hold islands for the reduced combat phase. I doubt there's a way to balance this without creating a separate server for small groups. Even that would hard to ensure the mega corps don't swarm that too.

3 hours ago, rumthorp said:

I doubt there's a way to balance this

Shorter combat phase, that's how you balance this. Big companies *can be* online during combat phase. Small companies *can be* online during combat phase... balanced

Longer combat phase: big companies *can* be online during whole combat phase, smaller companies *can NOT* be online for the whole combat phase... there is the exact imbalance

The problem is with a shorter combat phase it becomes harder for large companies to siege each other because there's less of a window to capture an island. 

5 hours ago, rumthorp said:

The problem is with a shorter combat phase it becomes harder for large companies to siege each other because there's less of a window to capture an island

They have war tokens for large companies to fight each other, this is a complete non-issue

Also... It should not be easy to take over a large company's island!!!! Making even *more* people play for 9 hours straight is ridiculous! (Without a war token)

It's actually less than 8 hours.

You can't safely approach the island of any dedicated company until peace time ends, so you will have to actually sail towards them, and then one of your guys will have to take the gold and plant your flag. Let's assume you can do this in 5 minutes.

Then, their claim has to actually be finished AND you have to finish your claim BEFORE their  combat timer expires, or you waste your gold and they keep their island.

So you have to have your flag uncontested (good luck if they even have 5 nakeds running around) for 2 full hours, within a 5 hour, 55 minute window.

On 5/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, Dulu said:

Then, their claim has to actually be finished AND you have to finish your claim BEFORE their  combat timer expires, or you waste your gold and they keep their island.

Not sure if this was intended as such but this is a great addition. I don't have 100% of the answer but perhaps you should only need to *start* the claim before the combat phase ends (with a maximum timer of some sort)

If the defender is not broken enough after 7 hours, where they can get inside of a base and are protected (with pvp respawn timers), then I think you dont deserve to take the island

I can see potential exploits but there may be an answer... room for discussion here

On 5/2/2019 at 5:50 AM, Meriamon said:

Combat phase are too long for small groupe.

We are 6-9 players connected every evening for 3h to 5h. We will see if the last change on NPC prevent somes bases or ships attack when we are not online.

So you are actually the ppl that should be settlers...

• Like 3

5 hours a night is probably enough, isn't it? Does this really need to be a way of life?

5 hours out of 7 (proposed) at least gives you a *chance* to protect your island

Just got (heavy air quotes) "raided" again by a bigger company while we were briefly offline. All ships gone for us and one other island in our square

Not once have they attacked us during the 7ish hours we were online. This must be happening to others as well. This type of combat is not pvp in any way

Lower the combat phase.  Month later people will want it smaller and then smaller and then oops we're a PvE server.

I suggest we change the combat phase to 23 hours a day.  The remaining hour everyone spawns on a power stone island naked and we duke it out with our fists.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 10:55 PM, Leapdave said:

So, its the neverending, 30 years old myth again, that only unemployed people can achieve something?
We are all affected by the same mechanics. Our company manages to have solely members that have a job (productive member of the society blablabla), and still, during war period, theres always at least 4 or 5 people online. Not for the full period, but once someone logs out, another member might log in.

Seriously, its always the same story, about "i have a job" and stuff. Its boring.

You can not conquer a well defended island in 9 hours anyway. You can just grief the ships and a port lol.

22 hours ago, Dingiva said:

theres always at least 4 or 5 people online.

So you're a bigger company or your members do nothing else... you clearly think those 2 things should be required in order to play

22 hours ago, Dingiva said:

Not for the full period, but once someone logs out, another member might log in.

... because it's not reasonable to cover the whole 9 hours. It sounds like you agree with me. 7 hours would be coverable. Thanks for the support

20 hours ago, gnihar said:

You can not conquer a well defended island in 9 hours anyway. You can just grief the ships and a port lol.

Not sure if you are trying to agree with me but this is a great point. A well defended island that can't be taken in 7 hours *also* can't be taken in 9 hours, so a war token or many consecutive days would be required

2 hours ago, Leapdave said:

So you're a bigger company or your members do nothing else... you clearly think those 2 things should be required in order to play

Not sure if you are trying to agree with me but this is a great point. A well defended island that can't be taken in 7 hours *also* can't be taken in 9 hours, so a war token or many consecutive days would be required

Totally BS.
Our members play. And our war period is set to the average freetime in our country in the afternoon. We have 1 guy working on different shifts, who is only able to play in the late evening. So he generally covers the last 2 or 3 hours of the war time frame. Just because he likes to play this game. Not a single of our members is forced to play. Everyone logs in when he wants to. And if that means we have 1 or 2 hours where noone is protecting our base - so be it.

Just do the maths and you will realize that even if your company only has 7 active players, it can easily happen that at least 4 are online during the whole war period. Not the same 4 people for 9 hours.

2 hours ago, Leapdave said:

... because it's not reasonable to cover the whole 9 hours for me. It sounds like you agree with me. 7 hours would be coverable for me. Thanks for the support

Fixed it for you.

Its just not reasonable for you. And thats why you want a shorter period of time where you can be raided. Bad news: You´re not the core of the playerbase. You´re just one player out of thousands. So dont transfer your own playstyle/wishes/possibilities to all players.
Get over it. If you cant cover the whole time frame with your company - thats your own problem. Find more members or allies that help you to protect your island. Or refuse to do so. Its your free choice.
But dont ask anyone to play like you want. If you invest less time/are willing to invest less time than other players/companies, dont ask to be able to afford the same as they do. We have more active members than you do? Fine. Its because we are more active, and have more buddies actually playing this game. Noone has the right to punish us for this fact.

You´ve already lost this discussion when you implied that everyone who invests more time into this game must be unemployed. Just because this is the major argument whenever it comes to discussions about specific game mechanics that are too hard for some people:

Player A: "I cant kill XY, it should be nerfed, its has too much armor!"
Rest of players: "Dude, just try different tactics. With some skill, you can easily kill XY!"
Player A: "Sorry, but I just play for fun! I have a job!"

You´re Player A, obviously.