Sign in to follow this  
Dragonchampion

Were Handling Sails fixed in the most recent MegaPatch? Or are they still useless?

A while back, someone did an analysis of Speed, Handling, and Weight sails and shared the findings in a detailed video. Have Handling Sails been fixed since then? Do they increase turn speed and such, or are they still worthless?

I did not test anything. I don't even explain to myself why I use one, but I did my Battle Brig with 2 SpeedSails and 1 HandlingSail. And, I'm not sure whether because of ship rebalance, or because of handling sail, but my Brig turns insanely fast. Way-way faster then schooner with large SpeedSail and small Handling one.

1 hour ago, George Catcher said:

I did not test anything. I don't even explain to myself why I use one, but I did my Battle Brig with 2 SpeedSails and 1 HandlingSail. And, I'm not sure whether because of ship rebalance, or because of handling sail, but my Brig turns insanely fast. Way-way faster then schooner with large SpeedSail and small Handling one.

That's because your ship is slower with all sails open. Slower ship = faster turning. Try to reorient the sails on schooner so that they are red and it will do a 360 in a matter of seconds.

3x speed sail is still the way to go unfortunately.

• Like 1

I got two brigs. One for whalehunting and one for exploring. On the brig for whalehunting I got a handlingsail and two speed. On the other one I got three speedsails.

With the handlingsail I loose around 1.5 knots in Max speed. Can still drive up to 11.5 knots. But if I have to turn around, so it gives more safety feelings with the handling on. 

For this usage it's a good choice. Also in pvp for a fightingship I think.

2 hours ago, Mirean said:

That's because your ship is slower with all sails open. Slower ship = faster turning. Try to reorient the sails on schooner so that they are red and it will do a 360 in a matter of seconds.

3x speed sail is still the way to go unfortunately.

Its highly debatable since better quality speed sails don´t work rn (max. sail velocity stat doesn´t work). I wonder if like legendary handling sail isn´t better choice than common speed sail. Tests needs to be done 🙂 

Edited by Willard

hat's because your ship is slower with all sails open.

No, it's not about that. It's way faster turns than before wipe and I'm not talking about full speed. I'm talking about battle maneuvering. Right now I literally can turn around my heel, during the battle. It's just insane as fast (I mean I like how it goes right now but in real life that turn would throw everything from the deck to ocean : )).

9 hours ago, George Catcher said:

No, it's not about that. It's way faster turns than before wipe and I'm not talking about full speed. I'm talking about battle maneuvering. Right now I literally can turn around my heel, during the battle. It's just insane as fast (I mean I like how it goes right now but in real life that turn would throw everything from the deck to ocean : )).

Actually it is. You turn the fastest with all sails at 100% and in the red, handling sail's only advantage is that it is faster at a very specific angle, and it opens and turns very quickly. It doesn't affect turning speed at all.

You have a point with the battle manuevering though - in some situations it is useful, even more so if you don't have anyone else at the lieutenant's podium. The only thing is that (at least from my experience) most of the fights involve chasing in one way or another, and in that case, speed sails are superior, and you can achieve the same turning rate by moving sails into the red (which you should do anyway to avoid cannonballs)

10 hours ago, Willard said:

Its highly debatable since better quality speed sails don´t work rn (max. sail velocity stat doesn´t work). I wonder if like legendary handling sail isn´t better choice than common speed sail. Tests needs to be done 🙂 

Do you have a source for that? We are definitely noticing a difference in blueprint speeds, but that could of course be just a placebo effect.

6 hours ago, Mirean said:

Actually it is. You turn the fastest with all sails at 100% and in the red, handling sail's only advantage is that it is faster at a very specific angle, and it opens and turns very quickly. It doesn't affect turning speed at all.

You have a point with the battle manuevering though - in some situations it is useful, even more so if you don't have anyone else at the lieutenant's podium. The only thing is that (at least from my experience) most of the fights involve chasing in one way or another, and in that case, speed sails are superior, and you can achieve the same turning rate by moving sails into the red (which you should do anyway to avoid cannonballs)

Do you have a source for that? We are definitely noticing a difference in blueprint speeds, but that could of course be just a placebo effect.

We did tests. It doesn't work. 3 brigs, all 52% weight, 3x100%, 3x104% and 3x120% max velocity speed sails, speed across half a sector totally same. 

Ye I was feeling really fast with my legendary sails until chasing brigs with common speeds in battle and figuring out I can't catch anyone. That led me to tests and here we are. 

Edited by Willard

On 5/1/2019 at 6:03 AM, George Catcher said:

This is actually a problem.  The Schooners, and Sloops, should be much faster, and turn much faster, than Brigs AND Galleons.  Sloops and Schooners should be able to run easily from a larger ship.  This is one of the major imbalance problems with the game.  They need the proper sails...new sails, that allow both speed, and maneuverability, that are for the smaller ships, only.  We should not need to put a Large Speed sail on a Schooner to get it to go fast.

The schooner should be the fastest ship in the game.  Period.  And, should be quite maneuverable at the same time.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

The Schooners, and Sloops, should be much faster

Although I agree, I also remember old Russian pirate game called Corsairs. There were 6 classes of ships there form 6th (smallest one) up to 1st (biggest linen ships). And as far as I remember - the fastest there were ships from 3rd class (called Corvettes - they were pretty big one).

handling sails never changed, just need appropriate sized sails to turn insanely quick now, schooners can turn tighter yes, but they need medium to turn good, the large speed sail over powers the small handling, for turning, but if you drop the large speed sail a bit you turn quick