Vorxius

Painting boats!

Hi all, just wanted to reach out to you guys for some advice, if you have some!   Never really worried about this before now, but, after painting up a boat, I realise that the colouring is a bit hit and miss.  Some colours appear more vibrant than others for example, white seems to be next to indistinguishable against the hull.  

What do folks here find are the more vibrant colours out there for boats?   I saw some pretty amazing colour schemes brought a dimension further using clever lighting to...  I'm as creative as guano, so any suggestions / examples of peoples creativity would be fantastic  I'm looking for inspiration!  Any screenshots would be awesome to!  

Cheers everyone!   Fair seas to you all.

I stopped painting my ship - cause its harder to see damaged planks/ceilings 😞

For me most of the dark colors are good for painting. So if you want a r red on your ship just use a darker red instead of the normal one its more pink after painting on wood.

• Thanks 2

I do enjoy alot of player creativity, so I wish to see more colored and lightened vessels in the ocean.

There are 3 pro-tips I could give:

1) - White painting DO NOT appears to ships body. All white, snow white, sky and all the same. So it's just waste of painting - trying to paint with this dyes (I would love to see white ships actually).

2) - Forest Green - doesn't work at all, due to a bug.

3) - You can attach hooks to ship surfaces, then put there a lanterns which are also can be painted by dyes. After that - you use a steering wheel, and then you press "O" by default control, then press "O" again after a sec - and all lights you attached to a ship this way, lights up. You press "O" again to turn them off.

As for colors - I use simple formula:

1 main color + 1 secondary color + 1 lines color. Where:

Main - is for ship body, deck, masts, ceiling, side logs in stairs etc. Best colors here are Orange, Navy, Watercourse Green and all black palette (all those blackcurrants etc).

Secondary - for stripes on planks, side of decks, sails, steppes on ladders, etc. Sometimes I don't use "lines" color and all from this section also counts as "secondary"

Lines - for just inner square line in gunports and ropes around masts, and those small metal rushes from the down side of ceilings and railings etc. I mean - there is so little of that color needed.

Secondary and Lines - can be any colors you like but I totally didn't like bright cyan, green and magenta ones. Too vivid for me. And... I sometimes do it a little wrong, but mostly is like that.

Few current examples. My far-fast-transport Schooner. Watercourse Green as main color and Orange - as secondary (I painted masts here with secondary and sails with main).

d7BpnUN.jpg

My current battle Brig. Navy - as main. Cantaloupe (orange) as secondary. Cerulean as "lines" and I painted sails with this cerulean blue also.

L9EBZpp.jpg

P.S. - You never attache wall hooks with lanterns to a masts of your battle ship. Because you'll just get tired of creating and attaching new hooks and lanterns to a masts after each battles. They are just way easy to destroy and SotDs are always happy to : )

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@George Catcher

Absolutely the kind of thing I was hoping for.   Thanks, and wish I could buy you a beer for taking time to write it all.

I also never knew about 'O'.  That's just brilliant intel.

Cheers!

• Like 1

The vid below shows quite a few colors and what looks good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2019 at 9:54 AM, Vorxius said:

Hi all, just wanted to reach out to you guys for some advice, if you have some!   Never really worried about this before now, but, after painting up a boat, I realise that the colouring is a bit hit and miss.  Some colours appear more vibrant than others for example, white seems to be next to indistinguishable against the hull.  

What do folks here find are the more vibrant colours out there for boats?   I saw some pretty amazing colour schemes brought a dimension further using clever lighting to...  I'm as creative as guano, so any suggestions / examples of peoples creativity would be fantastic  I'm looking for inspiration!  Any screenshots would be awesome to!  

Cheers everyone!   Fair seas to you all.

Like a part of the game engine that will never be fixed.  ARK has the same problem.  Some colors work great, and others just don't.  For instance, RED on some items, looked more like pink coral.  With red being my favorite color, this was maddening.  I should note that in ARK, most colors did not actually look good.

Red seems to work better in Atlas, but a lot of colors seem to look washed out.  Wouldn't it be better for the colors to appear NEW when applied, and then start looking washed out over time, and need to be reapplied later, to make it look new again?

Or at least, give the option for a thick and thin coat, to create a new or weathered look?

• Like 1