Sign in to follow this  
Congo

Just reached max level and Discoveries are now broken

I had no idea how broken having the map revealed was until hitting max level. There's literally no way for you to know what you've discovered and what island or where it was now. You cant see the island names like you could before when they were discovered, and the discovery window is absolutely useless. Since again unless you have to memorize where each thing is.

I'm not a fan either. I mean can the atlas tab have everything revealed and the map show where we've been?

• Like 1

Yeah a few friends are sailing around trying to actually accomplish all discoveries in a server when visiting for like maps & such.
they started complaining about finding the smaller discoveries on islands being very difficult as the spy glass doesn't actually make out which island has the specific discovery.. and some of the discovery bubbles are so tiny that you have to stumble across them by accident..  nearly impossible to spot through forests.

Some of the new polar islands have TONS of sunken ships all over them.. but yet maybe just 1 of them on the whole thing is a discovery. or none at all.
But the next island over has only 1 identical looking sunken ship and it is a discovery point.

I agree with the discovery finding methods... There ought to be a way of tracking them, even if it is a bit more complex than using a spyglass.

Currently hunting discoveries is a pain in the arse, given that you might have between 4 and 29 discoveries in a sector, whilst not even able to pinpoint the island or anything, especially with identical Islands having different discoveries, even though they are in the same climate, have the same PoIs and so on.

Maybe a way to improve this situation would be, if the DP could be properly clustered into specific islands -> you select the sector, select an island and you can see the DPs for that island, rather than the entire sector.

You would still need to travel to an island to know, which one it is, but once you've acquired the island DP, you would have the amount of hidden DPs still left on that island.

Edited by Virdana

Maybe put a blue line on the sextant minigame compass, indicating direction of undiscovered discoveries in the region.

Honestly the system before was perfect. They need to re-institute the Fog of war, and the white text showing when you discover something on the MAP

Edited by Congo

there have been numerous threads about the map fog of war , why it was removed is beyond belief , they have a discovery system that we now have now way excpet making our own maps of mapping where we have and havnt been 

please devs you post about us the players helping shape the game then let us help you ,turn the map fog of war back on 

Edited by UDO

I am of the opinion that FoW was removed on the maps due to performance issues.  Frame rates would tank when map was brought up.  That does not happen now.  Possible its just a coincidence, but the timing is perfect. 

19 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I am of the opinion that FoW was removed on the maps due to performance issues.  Frame rates would tank when map was brought up.  That does not happen now.  Possible its just a coincidence, but the timing is perfect. 

not really , never had this happen to me  ever , it was removed due to the new claim system nothing more nothing less , it needs to come back ,discovery system is a joke with out the fog of war , 

have a discovery system and now way of knowing what we have or have not visited .

if u have performance issues play the game on a pc that has higher than minimum specs , too many players think because they meet the minimum they can run it at max setting with 60 fps , reality check not gonna happen , s

Few thoughts/bugs after doing close to 200 discovery's

• Its hard to track the discovery's since the island names and island discovery's don't show on the atlas map anymore
    • before wipe you could see the discovery's of an island and guess where you missed one at least
    • solution would be a separate map in the discovery tab
  •  Some discovery's do not show on the right grid.

o    Example Powerstone books:

• Get the powerstone from O7 and it shows you got the book from H11 or so (cant remember exactly the way they are swapped but its pretty much on every powerstone grid)

• Some discovery points are completely bugged out or almost impossible to find

• If you fast travel via bed's you have to die in that grid first and respawn to get the discovery

• If you run on a island with a tame you have to step down the tame to get the discovery

• It would be great if the sextant would show the discovery point locations or at least some hints

Edited by slouch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, slouch said:

Few thoughts/bugs after doing close to 200 discovery's

• Its hard to track the discovery's since the island names and island discovery's don't show on the atlas map anymore
    • before wipe you could see the discovery's of an island and guess where you missed one at least
    • solution would be a separate map in the discovery tab
  •  Some discovery's do not show on the right grid.

o    Example Powerstone books:

• Get the powerstone from O7 and it shows you got the book from H11 or so (cant remember exactly the way they are swapped but its pretty much on every powerstone grid)

• Some discovery points are completely bugged out or almost impossible to find

• If you fast travel via bed's you have to die in that grid first and respawn to get the discovery

• If you run on a island with a tame you have to step down the tame to get the discovery

• It would be great if the sextant would show the discovery point locations or at least some hints

I like all of this. The one performance bug that I have related to the map is when the mini map for the sextant is up. I lost almost 60fps from about 100