Capt Adonis

Why own an Island ?

not going to watch as i dont believe in youtube click bait , why dont u just sum up the video ...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, UDO said:

not going to watch as i dont believe in youtube click bait , why dont u just sum up the video ...

Get your head out of the sand, its a video with a fair question and not click bait.

The game is currently a lawless meta I will make a video about it eventually.

~Lotus

• Like 2

I suggest you move to a lawless. That will give perspective on the benefit of having an island. 

• Like 1

I really don't see a downside yet to owning an island. Before the patch with random claims, I would go from island to island never finding a single spot that I could claim for my own. Now, I'm seeing islands that haven't been claimed yet. Before the patch, I was on lawless, having 4 day decay timers before random players could destroy anything I built. It meant I had to log in once every 4 days. Now, I own an island and have enough gold to cover 22 days.

Perhaps I'm playing the game wrong, but owning an island on PvE is pretty sweet.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Syrieal said:

Perhaps I'm playing the game wrong, but owning an island on PvE is pretty sweet.

no i'm agree with you actually we dont found 24 or 35 free island but we hope to have a little one  for our little Compagny 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, sand man said:

Get your head out of the sand, its a video with a fair question and not click bait.

title why own an island ?

then post a crap youtube video with no explanation to go along with it no answer to the op title unless u click and view the video = click bait 

get your our head out of the sand and see it for what it is 

We have a island, which is nice to stay away trolls...

But i dont see a need to own a entire island 3/4 of ours is unused..

And no settlers..

I think the old flag system with limited flags per person is more then enough

If there Wasnt a claim System i would definitly stop playing. Lawless Islands Are a mess And just looking at how they Spammed Gates etc. Kills the atmosphere of the Game.  Glad we have an Island And a bunch of awesome settlers.

• Like 1

As someone who has played time as both a tenant and a land-owner I can honestly say that there is pros & cons to both.  Mind you both of these view come from PvE side of playstyle.

TENANT:  Definitely feels geared towards smaller companies or the more casual player.  Comes with a bit of fear originally that the landowner will break your stuff and run you out, but after some time passes and a little talking with the land-owner to see what they are like the 24hr destruction period becomes a minor after-thought instead of a big worry.

• With this format you generally get to spend more time playing the game then as a land-owner.  You have the initial worry but that goes away after time, and now after the latest changes you no longer have to pay a tax so everything you farm is yours to keep.  With a good land-owner you get the security of knowing that all the major resources will always be available and not spawn blocked, and that hopefully your island and beaches won't be cluttered with abandoned traps and giant gate walls.
  • Downside is that your land-owner could be a complete pain that is purposefully trying to run you off the island, constantly destroying your stuff, or just doesn't care about the island or it's tenants leading to the island being spammed with floors, traps, and abandoned garbage.

LAND-OWNER:  Geared more towards players that play the game every-day and can invest multiple hours or larger companies with many active members because of all the time spent "cleaning" then actually playing.

• With this format you sacrifice some of your play time every-day to work on moderating your island (at least you are supposed too).  You also are required to go out and farm for gold to maintain the upkeep on the island, but to compensate for this loss of time you are rewarded with extra resources from the island tax.  I'll admit that the extra resources are a major boon and as someone who never bothered with a tax bank before the wipe I'm amazed at how many berries it can collect.
  • With great power comes great responsibility.  With the ownership of the land the company responsible for it has to CONSTANTLY go out on patrols and do circuits of the island checking up on things.  We own an island in the TUNDRA which a majority of the player-base avoids and even then we're still having to go out every-day and play janitor to a bunch of teenagers.  You wouldn't believe the amount of abandoned thatch traps, random ramps up to cliffs (I assume for treasure maps), and other stupid crap people leave lying around!  I can only imagine it's 10 times worse on Temperate islands.
  • Honestly the most annoying things is the coast-line being cluttered up with silly 3x3 "outposts" or running along and finding a single thatch floor with a bed in the middle of the woods so people in their company can just bed/teleport around islands for Discovery Points ... totally defeating the purpose of exploration!  I honestly wish I could build a giant Inn somewhere that Companies could rent/buy rooms from and place their beds and resource boxes there.  Then hopefully the coastal clutter and random garbage bed would be contained to a more controlled area.

17 hours ago, ReilanT said:

no i'm agree with you actually we dont found 24 or 35 free island but we hope to have a little one  for our little Compagny 

If you are looking for land we can offer some at EU-PVE [O3 - Isla Paloma], we are looking for settlers and/or people willing to merge with us. Rule is simple, have fun and don't be an asshat; also don't block resource spawns, after that, do as you wish.  We are hispanic but some of us do speak english. 

@ Op suggest you go look at the lawless, spam central. Ppl using billboards for taming pens that have a 40 day demo timer on them. Saw some where someone had built a nice base and someone has spammed as close the then as they possibly could, and it's close. One tribe has spammed all 5 islands on the server, but not an actual building of theirs in sight. Endless shipyards where ppl have built boats and moved on.
They should limit the amount of boatyards and structures a tribe can have, that way ppl might actually clean up after themselves...

The 10-day decay timer is a boon for routine cleanup.  We don't own our island, but if ew see structures we can demolish, we do.  Log in every 9.9 days and your stuff is fully protected.  Anyone in their Company.  And just get within eyesight of your stuff.  Presto... it's refreshed.

We've taken out buildings, camping spots and yes, 4 or 5 shipyards.

If you want to settle here, we welcome you.  But play occasionally. 🙂

Fortunately, we only have a small amount of foundation spamming.  And it's only to reserve a small stretch of beach to grow into.  I get that.  But they are active.  And they slowly add stuff.  It's nice to see.

So far.. and we've been lucky...  No one has actually blocked anything.  Only one base is a bit tedious since you have to swim a bit to get around their lighthouse, but that's not bad.  🙂

We lived in lawless (O6 Malsea Atoll) pre wipe, and made friends with other companies in sector, post wipe we teamed up with 4 other small companies and we now have a 51 point island in i11. It was a challenge finding a resource rich island but we got one, and things are good! 😊

Lawless is a foundation spanned mess! 

Although we have a small outpost on our original island, we haven’t spammed and overall it’s largely unused, however, Ponoto (the other small island in O6) the entire island is foundation spammed by 2 companies. It’s ridiculous!! And frankly, a piss poor way to play. This is why we own an island.

Edited by TerrorTrooper

PvP server?

Do you like owning and keeping your ships? Invest in an island.
Do you want to just farm and play with tames on land? Go to lawless.

Why own an Island? Not worth it anymore if you are in a company less than 20 players. We had a claim prewipe and it was awesome. Now since there is no building requirements, We sail around and make small bases on every isle and resource gather all over. Sail from isle to isle. In ways its more fun than having a claim, but having a claim and building trading docks and a nice castle was awesome too. Now our main base is in lawless and its been good (until recent foundation spammers ghetto'ed up the isle).

On 5/17/2019 at 7:00 AM, =MGC=Ranger said:

Now our main base is in lawless and its been good (until recent foundation spammers ghetto'ed up the isle).

I think you just unintentionally pointed out the main advantage of owning an island.

As I sail around, I see foundations spamming more and more, for absolutely no good reason that I can see. At this rate, eventually the only beautiful islands left will be ones that are owned/curated by good owners.

Related question for anyone on PvE who knows the answer: I know that there are destroyable timers on everything that get reset when somebody visits. Is there also an auto-destroy timer for stuff that has been left for a really long time? Seems crazy that old crappy spam requires somebody to actually go around and remove them since all it does is reduce performance and make everything look like a Walmart parking lot.

13 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

I think you just unintentionally pointed out the main advantage of owning an island.

As I sail around, I see foundations spamming more and more, for absolutely no good reason that I can see. At this rate, eventually the only beautiful islands left will be ones that are owned/curated by good owners.

Related question for anyone on PvE who knows the answer: I know that there are destroyable timers on everything that get reset when somebody visits. Is there also an auto-destroy timer for stuff that has been left for a really long time? Seems crazy that old crappy spam requires somebody to actually go around and remove them since all it does is reduce performance and make everything look like a Walmart parking lot.

Have to remove them manually.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:19 AM, 8ball said:

Have to remove them manually.

Yeah, thankfully the timer ran out and I was able to delete them