Sign in to follow this  
Sneakydude

This pretty much lost me

1 hour ago, Ucan_Kizmiaz said:

guess i'm too old for that crap.

time to dig out the atari and play Dungeon Master or Sundog

Nah it's got nothing to do with age, just people have different interests. Not every game is for everyone.

• Like 1

Just as ARK is not a prehistoric game but a futuristic game with dinosaurs.

ATLAS is not a historical pirate game but a steampunk pirate game.

Deal with it.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Ucan_Kizmiaz said:

although i see where you're coming from i either have to admire your imagination that you can fathom this not being earth ...

Maybe you've never noticed the globe on the loading screen. 😄  Does that look like Earth to you?

I admire YOUR imagination accepting characters casually rising from the dead and being able to teleport huge distances from one island to another.  I bet 17th Century Earth pirates did that routinely...

Edited by Coggage
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drako said:

Just as ARK is not a prehistoric game but a futuristic game with dinosaurs.

ATLAS is not a historical pirate game but a steampunk pirate game.

Deal with it.

Steampunk ?? where does it say that then ?? in your dreams.

1 hour ago, sand man said:

Steampunk ?? where does it say that then ?? in your dreams.

The torpedo, the submarine, the gears on the hook skin, the steam boat NPC with wheels on the sides....

For me, the game is clearly aimed at a future steampunk aesthetic. And i love it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drako said:

The torpedo, the submarine, the gears on the hook skin, the steam boat NPC with wheels on the sides....

For me, the game is clearly aimed at a future steampunk aesthetic. And i love it.

Nice but its not Steampunk, it more magic type stuff.

• Like 1

Amazed no1 mentioned the flying ship up there next to the Atlas logo. And the torpedo doesnt have to be sci-fi if its magic (mythos) powered one just the idea of torpedo is modern-ish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akai said:

Amazed no1 mentioned the flying ship up there next to the Atlas logo...

Shhh, you'll frighten the rubes!

Look guys, it’s really pretty simple. Atlas was never going to be just a pirate game in the same way that Ark was never just Dino’s. Yet there is a certain segment of the playerbase that likes to insist this is the case in the face of definitive evidence to the contrary. These people buried their head in the sand and insisted the devs “ruined” Ark by shoehorning Tek in after the fact, ruining their enjoyable Dino game and justifying their table flipping. In doing so they willfully ignored the giant floating obelisks in the sky and the decidedly not primitive implant in their wrist which is literally the very first thing any player sees when spawning in. These things were in the game from day one and proof Ark was never just Dino’s.

In the same vein folks are now insisting Atlas is being ruined by magic, steampunk, torpedos, submarine etc etc. Anyone is entirely free to dislike these game elements. They are also free to quit playing because of that dislike. What they aren’t free to do is claim they were misled about what Atlas would be. The description on the steam store page makes it clear this isn’t just pirates. For anyone failing to read the store page thoroughly and comprehend correctly what it meant, the flying ship on these forums masthead, the hydra, cyclops and other fantasy creatures featured in the game’s pre launch trailer are hard to miss.

tl:dr version: You don’t have to like it, just don’t piss and moan all over my leg and tell me it’s the devs making it rain when they said it would be sunshine. The facts are not in your favor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sneakydude said:

large.ATLAS_Torpedo_redo.jpg.94d6ea663f1

I knew it, ark clone... Good luck with sales.

Like I said before this is ark. Tek is the last thing needed to become completely ark.

laughing at the people giving excuses for putting tek in a pirate game.

15 hours ago, Coggage said:

Er, yes they do. Check the Wiki, then maybe go away and find the historical pirate simulation you are looking for. This isn't it.

Yeah. It’s ark. If he doesn’t want ark he shouldn’t be playing this

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, DilBert said:

It is a fantasy pirate game. 

I think you mean sci-fi pirate game. Well and ark

1 hour ago, Realist said:

I think you mean sci-fi pirate game. Well and ark

According to Isaac Asimov, the defining difference between sci fi and fantasy is sci fi’s grounding in science, meaning it is theoretically possible, while fantasy, which is not grounded in reality, is not. Going by that guideline I would consider fantasy the better descriptor of Atlas than sci fi.

Also after 4K hours of Ark, I am of the opinion Atlas is not Ark. It shares some mechanics and more than a few assets, but there are significant differences and Atlas has core mechanics and design concepts that make it different enough from Ark that I regard it as it’s own game. This is largely a matter of subjective opinion so as always ymmv, but it would be nice if you owned and played said game before making those kinds of assertions.

Doing so is a bit of the man who has never eaten at the restaurant holding forth on how good the chef is. It is hard to take his view of the matter seriously.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

According to Isaac Asimov, the defining difference between sci fi and fantasy is sci fi’s grounding in science, meaning it is theoretically possible, while fantasy, which is not grounded in reality, is not. Going by that guideline I would consider fantasy the better descriptor of Atlas than sci fi.

Also after 4K hours of Ark, I am of the opinion Atlas is not Ark. It shares some mechanics and more than a few assets, but there are significant differences and Atlas has core mechanics and design concepts that make it different enough from Ark that I regard it as it’s own game. This is largely a matter of subjective opinion so as always ymmv, but it would be nice if you owned and played said game before making those kinds of assertions.

Doing so is a bit of the man who has never eaten at the restaurant holding forth on how good the chef is. It is hard to take his view of the matter seriously.

Its ark with a twist, if you think this is a new game your funny... Everything in it screams ark. I get it attract ppl into believing its a pirate game... Sure why not...

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I don’t have to go to the restaurant if I have already eaten the chefs food when he worked at a different restaurant 

1 hour ago, Realist said:

I don’t have to go to the restaurant if I have already eaten the chefs food when he worked at a different restaurant 

But if he’s making new dishes and you tell people they’re the old dishes without having actually eaten them, why should people take you seriously on that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sneakydude said:

Its ark with a twist, if you think this is a new game your funny... Everything in it screams ark. I get it attract ppl into believing its a pirate game... Sure why not...

I never cared whether it was a pirate game or not, as pirates are not a thing I particularly get excited about, but Atlas was very clearly never JUST pirates. If you want to call it Ark with a twist then whatever floats your boat, but is it necessary to imply that those who don’t hold your subjective views in this regard should be mocked for that difference?

I never cared whether it was a pirate game or not, as pirates are not a thing I particularly get excited about, but Atlas was very clearly never JUST pirates. If you want to call it Ark with a twist then whatever floats your boat, but is it necessary to imply that those who don’t hold your subjective views in this regard should be mocked for that difference?

I didn't care it was a pirate-themed game either.  Ark with a twist is fine with me because Ark is fine with me as well.  The drama between people saying what Atlas is in their opinion is mildly interesting at best to me.  To them, it's all they have to live for apparently.  😄

1 hour ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

IDK man, ive never seen torpedo's on ark before 😉

The Torpedosaurus keeps a very low profile.  😄

• Haha 2

IDK man, ive never seen torpedo's on ark before 😉

But that torpedo looks vaguely technology/steampunk/magicish and therefore clearly doesn't belong in the pure pirate game Wildshot told us all we were getting so obviously they lied. It is not my responsibility to completely read and understand information about the game I'm buying in order to have proper expectations. It is the responsibility of the devs to design the game according to my personal vision of what it should be, despite any evidence beforehand to the contrary.

• Like 2

But that torpedo looks vaguely technology/steampunk/magicish and therefore clearly doesn't belong in the pure pirate game Wildshot told us all we were getting so obviously they lied. It is not my responsibility to completely read and understand information about the game I'm buying in order to have proper expectations. It is the responsibility of the devs to design the game according to my personal vision of what it should be, despite any evidence beforehand to the contrary.

whats wrong with magic? ark dosnt have magic or steampunkish kinda stuff. im really looking forward to teh tarot cards and air ships tbh

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coggage said:

I didn't care it was a pirate-themed game either.  Ark with a twist is fine with me because Ark is fine with me as well.  The drama between people saying what Atlas is in their opinion is mildly interesting at best to me.  To them, it's all they have to live for apparently.  😄

For the record I live for Konvar's use of exclamation points, fleeting glimpses of Olivia Munn from the bushes outside her window while I munch cheetos, and the dream that George RRRRR Martin will release Winds of Winter before one of us is dead.

whats wrong with magic? ark dosnt have magic or steampunkish kinda stuff. im really looking forward to teh tarot cards and air ships tbh

I have no objection to it whatsoever, but prior posting on the subject of Atlas's lore and game design concepts seem to indicate some number of people greater than 3 do, apparently.

1 hour ago, Jerryn said:

That is the craziest thing I have ever seen posted on this forum.   Deduct one towel from your inventory.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Side note: @#% hits the Winterfell fan tonite. Betting pool on who/how many of your favorite characters don't make it out alive starts here. My money says Arya is the one who kills the Night King but like Golum falling into Mt Doom with the ring, takes one for the team. At this point if Tormund and Brienne don't get it on I'm pulling for the white walkers.

Best. 

subplot.

Evar.

Side side note: Johnny Walker's limited edition White Walker scotch is worth picking up but don't drink it.  Only the bottle is different, the actual scotch is just the regular JW red. Keep unopened bottle as keepsake/collectible.

Edited by boomervoncannon

whatever floats your 12 yr old boats lol...

/uninstalled good luck with development of the ark themed POS. kinda glad its off my tower to be honest.