Sign in to follow this  
MesCaLiN

ridiculous small build block range from structures on lawless

Hello my friends and fiends,

i noticed that u can build ridiculous close to other players structures on lawless grids. This lead to massive ugly foundation spamming around ppls areas.

Today a player got locked in by some toxic players, i don´t want this happen to me.

And i don´t want to sprinkle foundations around my area, doesn´t look good and takes server ressources.

My question is if there is a certain structure that got a larger build blocking range than foundations? Maybe gates or beds?

I don´t want to block a huge claim, i just want to be safe.

WHY grapeshot WHY did u remove the old claim system and WHY u made the protection area so small???

Edited by MesCaLiN

26 minutes ago, MesCaLiN said:

WHY grapeshot WHY did u remove the old claim system and WHY u made the protection area so small???

The protection area is the way it always has been, that is the price you pay for choosing to build there.  Maybe you should think about relocating to a standard claimed or unclaimed island if your worried about foundation spam or being built on top of.

8 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

They changed the claim system for whiners who were too lazy to sail for a claim when the game came out. After waiting a month and not sailing more than 2 tiles in each direction, they spam complained the forums and discord so bad they took away the old system completely and came up with utter crap system rather than just limiting each company to 5 flags.

So, those of us who built a ship asap, got out and sailed and searched isle after isle and found a claim, built it up and made great strides lost everything. Pretty much sums it up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

they spam complained the forums and discord so bad they took away the old system completely and came up with utter crap system rather than just limiting each company to 5 flags.

We'll have to agree to dis-agree.  The new system still needs some tweaks, but it does what it was intended and allows for all players (both ones that built ships and found spots on server opening and those starting brand new two months from now) to be able to sail around for maybe a couple sectors and find areas in which they can settle.

Even putting in limits on flags.  In a very short time the servers would be right back to where they started with entire islands being completely claimed and locked with everyone setting the flags to Company build only, because it's the easier to do that then it is to trust someone to not wreck what they view as "theirs".

And people by nature are greedy, if every player is given 5 flags then they every player will place 5 flags ... even if all they ever build is a 3x3 shack on the first one and have no use for the other 4.

• Like 1

Before wipe my neighbors bein attacked by those trolls company. They tried to block the ships in port and spammed everything with their foundations around guys base. So my neighbors just opened a ticked in this forum (support section) and after a hour or so - all foundation were erased by admins (unfortunately those bastards-trolls sunk one ship somehow and admins couldn't bring em back).

11 hours ago, CoopedUp said:

We'll have to agree to dis-agree.  The new system still needs some tweaks, but it does what it was intended and allows for all players (both ones that built ships and found spots on server opening and those starting brand new two months from now) to be able to sail around for maybe a couple sectors and find areas in which they can settle.

Even putting in limits on flags.  In a very short time the servers would be right back to where they started with entire islands being completely claimed and locked with everyone setting the flags to Company build only, because it's the easier to do that then it is to trust someone to not wreck what they view as "theirs".

And people by nature are greedy, if every player is given 5 flags then they every player will place 5 flags ... even if all they ever build is a 3x3 shack on the first one and have no use for the other 4.

so instead we all spam foundations everywhere to block off areas , , at least with the claim flags the area looked clean , the limit to flags was the best way forward not this system that just promotes foundation / pillar spam ...

dont think you have really though about the way the 2 systems worked , teh limitto flags to say 5 was ideal perfect amount to build a good base and still have 1 or 2 left for outposts at other areas .... 

Edited by UDO

On 4/27/2019 at 3:23 AM, UDO said:

dont think you have really though about the way the 2 systems worked , teh limitto flags to say 5 was ideal perfect amount to build a good base and still have 1 or 2 left for outposts at other areas ....

Yup.

I like the new claim system, it's not perfect, but better than it was.

I think some of the problems are that companies with enough points to claim a bigger island didn't cos they were in a hurry to land grab/too lazy to get enough gold, idk. The minimum points required to claim an island should be the cheapest island, not 15/23 or whatever it is.

The points gained by each addition company member should increase in a balanced way, ei not have 1 point left after claiming and not need 3 extra crew to get then next sized island. The value of an island jumps from 53 to 57, so 53 requires 11 players, but to get the next size up (57) you need 13 players, 12 gives you 56 point which is not enough to claim the next size up...There are so many islands of 57 and above still unclaimed.

By the time me and my friends had enough gold and a ship to get anything there was nothing left under 53 points, requiring a tribe of 11, we are lucking and all our friends came on and joined our company, we are now 12 in the company with only 5 active players. Which makes me wonder how many others are in the same situation...

12 to me is not a small tribe.

(I play on PvE)

We live on a lawless island in the tropics, and we have our own corner of the island (plenty big enough for our purposes), we did some of our own foundation work to ensure we have 'living space', and a chinese company foundation spammed the absolute rest of the island.  Must say it's very peaceful here!   Had we got here a few days later, probably no chance!  They go about their business, we go about ours and occasionally we bump into each other, but we each leave one another alone.  Before all the foundation spamming happened, they supplied us with resources, tools and equipment to get started, just dropped it at our feet when we were starting out punching trees for the first time...   Ever since, we respected them, and they leave us alone.

BUT I can see how explorers come along and think OMG foundation SPAM!

• Like 1

Hmm....to be someone's serf on someone else's island or deal with the bad mechanics for lawless.   It's a tough decision.....

It's too bad there isn't a third option or better game design.

I know I have stated this before but: Our company has spent all our time since December on Lawless islands. We have had zero bad experiences with being blocked by spam or jerk players. I ally with anybody that lives near us and we all have a great time. Having our own entire island or living on someone’s claim has never appealed to us. I try to build stuff like bridges, ramps, zip lines, etc to help people and we give stuff away all the time. The fun of this game (to me) is the randomness of people’s actions and that’s why I play it. My only regret is that I haven’t learned enough languages to communicate better. See you on L9 EU PVE, friends!

I agree that the zone should be small, it can be said "initial zone # 2", but what can you say about it:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/800988890973628071/2FB6B327348D09CD589BDAF3606F348BC198C1AD/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/800988890973627820/C9C6D23D187375280CBB892DD7EDBA5FA38654AE/

This is ridiculous...
The building blocks players within a radius of 3-4 foundations, but completely ignores the resources on which it is built.

8 hours ago, Vorxius said:

BUT I can see how explorers come along and think OMG foundation SPAM!

What about those guys who just got the game and are trying to find a piece of land to place their shipyard to make their ships?   That happened to my group and I. We started at PVP, then moved to PVE  we sailed with the ramshackles for several days before we could find a spot to build. Next day our ships got locked with some doors. 

On 4/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, CoopedUp said:

The protection area is the way it always has been, that is the price you pay for choosing to build there.  Maybe you should think about relocating to a standard claimed or unclaimed island if your worried about foundation spam or being built on top of.

Actually, it used to be bigger.  The protection area was reduced on lawless at one point (too lazy to look it up on the patch notes).  Last time I checked it was around 4 tiles.  In the beginning I think it was more like 8 or 10.

12 hours ago, cidran said:

What about those guys who just got the game and are trying to find a piece of land to place their shipyard to make their ships?   That happened to my group and I. We started at PVP, then moved to PVE  we sailed with the ramshackles for several days before we could find a spot to build. Next day our ships got locked with some doors. 

One of our ingame friends just wanted to build a galleon and use it as a mobile home.  What he did was set up on a claimed island, made friends with the locals, and helped each other.  He made his boat, packed up all the equipment he used, deconstructed his small huts and left on good terms.   He's happily sailing around the world now, trading and treasure hunting with his bear.  The solo life!  🙂

1 minute ago, Vorxius said:

One of our ingame friends just wanted to build a galleon and use it as a mobile home.  What he did was set up on a claimed island, made friends with the locals, and helped each other.  He made his boat, packed up all the equipment he used, deconstructed his small huts and left on good terms.   He's happily sailing around the world now, trading and treasure hunting with his bear.  The solo life!  🙂

Yeah  makes sense. We tried setting up base on someone's land. Didn't work out in the end.  Eventually we found land but think about a group of new players.  Come in see an island foundation spammed by one person. Is a bit ridiculous; of they allow this those foundations should decay in 1 days or less.  May be complicated to accomplish, but not impossible.

4 minutes ago, cidran said:

Yeah  makes sense. We tried setting up base on someone's land. Didn't work out in the end.  Eventually we found land but think about a group of new players.  Come in see an island foundation spammed by one person. Is a bit ridiculous; of they allow this those foundations should decay in 1 days or less.  May be complicated to accomplish, but not impossible.

It's a double edge sword though.  If decay rates were a day, sadly we'd come back to find our plot spammed by someone else.  Atleast the way it is now, we can maintain some kind of 'home' without fear real life will kill our lovely work.

Lawless has its upside and downside, but if I needed to find somewhere to call home, I'd absolutely find myself a nice large unclaimed island, and bosh down there.  When someone does claim it finally, you'd already be settled and, snugly tucked into your own space.  They will not be able to remove your stuff.

why dont people build on claimed ilands sure there are asshole claimholders that steal sometimes instead of waiting for people to build up and give them a regular income of taxes that the settlers dont even have to pay from theyr gathered recources. Or unclaimed islands that cost a lot of points and wont be claimed anyway, and if they get claimed after 24 hours they cant delete structures anyway the people will be happe to have settlers exept they are stupid and want to pay tons of gold for a empty island it is good to have settlers my company was only able to claim a little iland and we would love to share the space. instead most people rather like to foundation spam the lawless to give people eyecancer if they have to go on lawless for discoverys or trasuremaps wich are most likely build in by foundationspammers

Is that rhetorical or are you actually asking? The short answer for me is that a claimed island has “management” or might have it. I have way too much of that already. It’s the same reason I won’t live in a housing development.

Edited by Gomez Addams

@Gomez Addams That is true, but even on lawless you are still "managed".  It's just done by a GM and a less restrictive system and rule set that can lead to 'legal' abuse in the form of trolls and griefers.

On claimed islands the landowner "manages" island clean-up and can dictate stricter rules.  So for those of us who's playstyles align with those restrictions it means we get to enjoy our playtime and are more protected from those same abuses that is 'legal' on a lawless island.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoopedUp said:

@Gomez Addams That is true, but even on lawless you are still "managed".  It's just done by a GM and a less restrictive system and rule set that can lead to 'legal' abuse in the form of trolls and griefers.

On claimed islands the landowner "manages" island clean-up and can dictate stricter rules.  So for those of us who's playstyles align with those restrictions it means we get to enjoy our playtime and are more protected from those same abuses that is 'legal' on a lawless island.

Has anyone ever seen a GM managing a lawless island?

Edited by Winter Thorne

I agree. The no build range is way too small. If the range was 5 or even 10 times what it is it would cut down on the spam and grief.

19 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Has anyone ever seen a GM managing a lawless island?

I didn't actually SEE them, but I know of 2 instances where a GM was required to delete a couple structures.

But this was before the wipe and when the structures were bugged and not responding to 'Demolish' option on the pin-wheel.  Both times took several weeks from report till action.