Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Whaling.

We killed 5 whales last night.  3 Blue Whales and 2 Sperm Whales.  The 1st was a Blue, and we got a small amount of gold from it.  Seems the whales do not pay out like they used to.  Next, we dove a wreck, and in the process, 2 Sperm and one Blue showed up.  I enticed them into a fight with my bow, and we killed all three, one at a time.  Got no gold from these three.  Not sure why.  But finally, we killed another Blue we spotted swimming in circles.  I was at the helm, and we got the message that one of our guys on the Ballista killed it.  So I stopped.  Wasn't going fast, so we stopped fast.  Three guys went in the water looking for it, and could not find it.  It was below the surface when killed, and never floated to the surface.  140 spear bolts, 5 whales, several sharks, and we ended up with somewhere around 600 gold for the first whale.  Quite disappointing.  Not even enough for a full day's upkeep on our island.  Getting to be too much.

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

We killed 5 whales last night.  3 Blue Whales and 2 Sperm Whales.  The 1st was a Blue, and we got a small amount of gold from it.  Seems the whales do not pay out like they used to.  Next, we dove a wreck, and in the process, 2 Sperm and one Blue showed up.  I enticed them into a fight with my bow, and we killed all three, one at a time.  Got no gold from these three.  Not sure why.  But finally, we killed another Blue we spotted swimming in circles.  I was at the helm, and we got the message that one of our guys on the Ballista killed it.  So I stopped.  Wasn't going fast, so we stopped fast.  Three guys went in the water looking for it, and could not find it.  It was below the surface when killed, and never floated to the surface.  140 spear bolts, 5 whales, several sharks, and we ended up with somewhere around 600 gold for the first whale.  Quite disappointing.  Not even enough for a full day's upkeep on our island.  Getting to be too much.

They nerfed whale gold a patch or two ago. It still shouldn't be that bad gold wise. I saw your other post about gold and payment. I think you said you had 5 plus people with you? No offense but I struggle to see how you guys cannot keep up the upkeep on your island. There are more than 5 of you. I support an island by myself (yes it is small). The rest of my company has not even started gathering gold. I was doing it from the get go with a sloop. And I am on PvP server, I think you are on PvE? Not sure what you guys are doing. I am not trying to rip on you or talk down, I am legitimately not understanding why you guys are struggling. I think you said your island upkeep was about a grand? If you divide that by 5 (and you might have more people I just though it was about 5ish), that only 200 gold each. That's easy to do solo. Another thought is, if you can not support the gold upkeep of the island perhaps it is too much and you should either be settlers, or downgrade your island. If you can not do it then you will lose the island and someone who can keep it up will take it. Again no offense, but it seems like the system is working as intended. 

6 hours ago, SIEGEGUN said:

They nerfed whale gold a patch or two ago. It still shouldn't be that bad gold wise. I saw your other post about gold and payment. I think you said you had 5 plus people with you? No offense but I struggle to see how you guys cannot keep up the upkeep on your island. There are more than 5 of you. I support an island by myself (yes it is small). The rest of my company has not even started gathering gold. I was doing it from the get go with a sloop. And I am on PvP server, I think you are on PvE? Not sure what you guys are doing. I am not trying to rip on you or talk down, I am legitimately not understanding why you guys are struggling. I think you said your island upkeep was about a grand? If you divide that by 5 (and you might have more people I just though it was about 5ish), that only 200 gold each. That's easy to do solo. Another thought is, if you can not support the gold upkeep of the island perhaps it is too much and you should either be settlers, or downgrade your island. If you can not do it then you will lose the island and someone who can keep it up will take it. Again no offense, but it seems like the system is working as intended. 

Because most of them cannot play more than a couple hours, and not every day.  The problem is mostly time.  My issue is that the rates could be better for a small company server, and thus not as much of a problem.  Small companies need different things than large companies.  Frankly, if I enjoyed playing in a Mega, I would want the wild animals to be much more dangerous, as that would allow the strengths of the mega company to shine.  Would be more fun when an Alpha shows up and it takes the 20 or 30 of you online, in the area, to take it out, somewhat comfortably.  Having to imprint for 2 days, around the clock makes sense in a Mega with people in Europe, North America, and Asia.  It makes no sense for a small company with everyone in just one of those regions.

If it is working as intended, the game is likely not for us, or any other small company, who likes not being a Mega.

Small and tiny are two different things. If you cant put the time into upkeeping a high point island then move to a smaller one or become a renter.

45 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Costs 1248 gold per 24 hours.

Then you should stop whining about it. You made the choice to take a large island. There are many other islands that are much more manageable for a small group. If you want a big island like the large companies have, grind more or recruit more members. Don't whine on the forums about your bad decisions.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Master_Pain said:

Then you should stop whining about it. You made the choice to take a large island. There are many other islands that are much more manageable for a small group. If you want a big island like the large companies have, grind more or recruit more members. Don't whine on the forums about your bad decisions.

And they are taken...By Megas who could have afforded bigger islands.  Also, you have to choose between a high gold cost, or a crap island with no resources, which means now instead of gold being your problem, resources are.

And save the shaming language.  It has no affect on me.  I see it for what it is.  The fact that you use it shows that you don't actually understand the balance problems in the EARLY ACCESS game.

• Like 1

We killed 2 yesterday a blue and a sperm just for the skills and points, yielded 900 from the sperm and 1200 from the blue.

Sounds like someone looted the gold.. and didn't tell anyone they'd done it.

Captan the small whales you pull to the surface don’t seem to give any gold. You have to attack the large ones already at the surface. As for the one you killed swimming circles that’s shitty luck. We live down south and kill whales daily and have not had that happen yet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

Sounds like someone looted the gold.. and didn't tell anyone they'd done it.

3 hours ago, JadedGamer said:

Captan the small whales you pull to the surface don’t seem to give any gold. You have to attack the large ones already at the surface. As for the one you killed swimming circles that’s shitty luck. We live down south and kill whales daily and have not had that happen yet. 

That's what it was.  The middle three whales were whales that just came at us as we were salvaging a wreck.  I had wondered if the issue was that they were not one of the surface circling whales, and thus actually a different thing according to the game.

The last whale that just seemed to disappear, yeah that was bad luck.  I do wish there were more whales at the surface.  I hear rumors about this grid, or that grid being the place to go, but honestly, the game needs balance.  You shouldn't have to travel all over the map for what you need.  Most people don't have the time it takes to travel 9 grids, fight several whales, and then fight the wind to go back 9 grids.

You dont get gold from the whales spawned by the shiprecks, you only get it from the passive whale on the surface and the agressive whale in the polar regions. You shoukd still get enough gold though from just 1 or 2 whales which would cover the cost of your island.

never been attacked by the whales near wrecks, is that whilst free diving or in suit?

10 hours ago, bluelance said:

You dont get gold from the whales spawned by the shiprecks, you only get it from the passive whale on the surface and the agressive whale in the polar regions. You shoukd still get enough gold though from just 1 or 2 whales which would cover the cost of your island.

Had the second whale not disappeared, we would have been good.  Not sure what happened to it.  We had some screwy stuff happen in that grid.  The wreck we were diving on was our own ship.  We had a Blue almost dead.  Somebody in a Sloop with a medium handling sail was heading straight for the whale, and ended up right on top of it, and disappeared.  The whale was behind us.  No other whale around.  Suddenly our boat started taking massive damage and sank fast.  This was immediately after that sloop disappeared on that whale.  Odd thing is, there was no wreckage for that sloop.  Only our ship.  But, our ship had not been stripped, and the whale was still there, and still badly injured when we went back, and killed it.  Then we dove our wreck.  Another odd thing is that the floating debris was not over our ship.  Nothing was under it, and we located our wreck just a short distance away, using the map wreck marker, which was accurate.  We killed the three whales and several sharks that showed up.  Then we searched for, and found another Blue.  Got it down in health, and then one of our guys was credited with the kill.  We were going slow...me on the helm...and I stopped immediately.  3 people searched for it, but could not find it, and it definitely did not float to the surface.

9 hours ago, Martyn said:

never been attacked by the whales near wrecks, is that whilst free diving or in suit?

It was free diving.  One person was using the suit, and myself and another, were free diving the wreck.  It was our wreck, not a procedurally generated wreck.

It happened again, today. 

Two of our guys took our whaler to the same grid, and when they had the whale almost dead, a lag spike hit, and their ship was destroyed almost immediately.  This has to be fixed.  The grid is i2, but I suspect this issue is not just grid related, but I could be wrong.