Dragonchampion

Does anyone think that the islands that are meant for between 1-5 players are a bit too expensive? Does anyone have some gold-gathering tips?

2 hours ago, Dragonchampion said:

FINALLY someone gives me a detailed, informative list. I got bits and pieces from posts, but it's kinda sad when it's two pages of mostly people telling me I'm bad for owning an island, or telling me I should move in with them.

I only wish I could give you more "Thanks" reactions.

Like the other poster said you can do whaling pretty much when you have a schooner up and running. There are some very informative vids to find on youtube about it. But honestly, it can also be a pain in the ass. I usually don’t do them, I only do the treasure runs where you just get a couple of thousand gold (do them in weekends because then it’s 2x) and you just go from there. When you have done that, 200 gold is peanuts since there isn’t really much else to spend gold on other than cosmetics and maybe a market thingie. On the other hand, if you’re going for the high end gear you will need lots of gold to pay for various resources if you can’t get them by just harvesting. 

I recommend you trade resources for gold using the NPC shops. Especially vast quantities of wood and thatch (1000 wood for 10 gold etc) this has led to a lot of players building shipyards on my island and buying the resources from my bank (while I farm the majority using bears and giraffes for swipable thatch from reeds and wood from elephants to build their schooners and brigs. I ask them if they will be building ships on the island again later( if not I demolish their shipyards when they leave) 

this has led to a number of different bigger companies setting up shops near my market stalls aswell coming to my island to recruit because it’s near a Freeport. 

This is just what has worked for me personally, I personally like farming crops and resources because I enjoy breeding higher level mounts for farming. Selling lowish level (lvl 10-15) bears, giraffes, rhinos and elephants for 100-200 gold a pop has also been a bit of gold on the side. But this has meant I have usually ended up delivering them 2-3 sectors away.

just some ideas for smaller company island owners. 

Enjoy the game and do what you enjoy.

9 hours ago, gadefence said:

1: Do all maps 250+ if you're out.
2: Do green maps 500~+ when you're not out.
3: While sailing, use grappling hooks to pick up floatsam.
4: Do sunken wrecks - 100~ gold and can find 4-5 in an area at times.
5: Go whailing. Whales drop like 900 gold per.

Yep.
Here's a few more hints:
For white maps, 250~, 5 cows (T2 taming + rushes passive tame) of just about any level will murder the damned that spawn.
For green maps, you'll probably need 5 to 10 cows that are higher levels (30~) or a bear 10+ (nature's cry help DPS them all down to nothing) if you want to solo them.

Tames really help, anything with 500+ HP can do a lot of damage to the damned without dying, and cows are really easy to get passive tames (bears require a pen and honey, but perform drastically better).

If you get a schooner with a large and small sail, 2 crew will cost you 1 gold every 2.5 hours - or 4 gold every 5 hours. Most flotsam has 2-10 gold in it, and as stated, you can grapple them while sailing your ship (good reason to put the steering wheel on a raise platform at the front of your ship), so you can net another 20 to 100 gold on the way in most maps (especially the tundra).

Sunken wrecks can be gotten either A: with diving perk & oxygen perk, you can make it down and up on one breath if you don't get nommed by sharks. More safely, use a diving rig, more oxygen and nothing attacks you. If you have a friend on a bear, you can have him jump right ahead - the sharks will attack him, you're safe to pull treasure, bear has as much breath as you and a massive stamina pool (something tigers and lions lack) so you can load up on fish meat at the same time.

Whales murder all your tames and ships, so don't get near them. Cannons do little damage (1000 per shot goes down to 100 for animals), so you need to build expensive balistas. Load up 4 on the back, pass by a blue whale and then shoot it (tundra) or go near a sperm whale and have it aggro you (arctic) and then just keep pelting it in the face. They take about 30 bolts each, so 4 will make short work of one. Then just run up and get your gold.

• Like 1

Yeah, just get a bear and do treasure maps. Me and a buddy are playing by ourselves and we stocked up 6k gold in the last week doing blue maps with just 2 bears. Our island upkeep is good for the next month or so. Smaller island. This being said, the higher end blue maps can still be tough with just 2 people on bears. The level 90 or so damned hit pretty hard and have a lot of health. Quality 20 or higher maps we had a few close fights with.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:47 AM, Dragonchampion said:

Me and my 3 friends just got a decent-sized (35 points) island. I know about the settler system, but since the island is in the desert, no one wants to live there, so we're paying 200g (more tan the average green map per day) and we're having trouble with paying it. Does anyone have any advice? How do you guys get the gold and then get a backlog so you can focus on construction and taming instead of every day being a rush for maps, and then 2-3 hours to sail to do them and get back?

Does anyone have tips or advice on that front?

EDIT: We're on PvE. Thought I mentioned this but it seems I did not.

Pretty much non issue now, when x2 was reintroduced.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:34 PM, Master_Pain said:

Well, it splits the gold between people present. So your argument is invalid.

Yep you're right, I stand corrected.  For some reason I had it wedged in my brain that possibly pre-wipe it worked out like that...  possibly baked in the 20x glory lol.

Went out last night, and sure enough 700g was split two ways for us... 

Sorry for the miss-info, and thanks for highlighting this.

In this case :   OP:   2x weekend is your friend!   Save all your best maps and blast them out at the weekends.   Hopefully you'll have enough to tide you over.... not including gold for shop... Cash goes quicker than my Mrs with my bank card  :classic_blink:

I mean no disrespect, but in my opinion, part of the problem is everyone expects the game to hand an island to them on a plate.

pre wipe we were lawless, and frankly, that was awesome! Our sector was vibrant, and as a 3 man company we got on really well with our various neighbours and often cooperated with them. 

When the wipe came, we had 4 x 3 man companies who joined forces to claim a 56 point island in desert, we still have our individual divisions but all work together when needed and we dont struggle with the upkeep. 

On a side note, some of the 35 point and below islands are awesome! But will take some time to find a good one. 

Theres not actually much wrong with the tennant system, especially on PVE where it costs the tenants nothing, and the vast majority of landlords will be fine.

Basically, find another small company, get to know them and merge.

From treasure maps most gold from them around 2k or more i forget had a legendary one once. 

Meh....whale hunting is easy gold, if you in the right region.  Bring a extra ship just to haul gold back 🙂

14 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Where is the list of island sizes and how many people they are meant for?

Ingame! Just check the Atlas tab when you open your inventory and it shows the point cost for every island that's unclaimed.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:04 AM, Willard said:

Why do you think small companies of 1-5 should own an island? Whole idea of landlord/tenants, taxes and upkeep would be for nothing if everyone should have the island.

Because the original numbers for this system were designed with an "ideal" player base in mind. Those numbers don't match the reality of the actual number of current players.

There is a bunch of misinformation in the earlier posts that should be cleaned up. (PVE, not talking about PVP) If someone claims an island that you have already built on and your structure has been there longer than 24 hours, they CANNOT destroy it. They can destroy anything you place down in the future though with the normal 24 hour window. The same 10 day window for login refresh applies. So if you want to keep that structure you need to log in at least every 10 days and make sure it renders. If you are one of those that has pillar spammed an island and you don't run around to all your pillars, they can be demolished. There currently is no difference in the time window between lawless and claimed island for the timer. Even people that put half a million gold in their flag can lose their claim if they don't come back at least once every 10 days to refresh. Owning an island is something that you really need to think about the cost vs the benefit. The only benefit is being able to marginally control where people put new structures and to benefit from from the taxes generated. If you have an island with active treasure spawns that are not blocked it can pay for itself. The only other real benefit is that you get taxes if people are farming on your island so you don't have to gather it yourself. Trick is to pick islands that have rare resources on them, so people are going to visit them anyways. We never have to farm honey or oil ever again because our first island has those and people love oil and honey. Our second island that we claimed has bamboo and other resources. There is one resource of every type that is rarer than the others. If you want to know which one, visit a freeport commodities vendor and look for the one that is usually 4-6 times more expensive than the others.

Loathsome chests : about 12 gold from a purple one. Not worth changing the course or stopping the ship to fetch these. You lose too much time.

Whaling : Well, 800-1000 gold is not bad, BUT you lose a lot of time sailing into the grits with whales.. and back. You have to take care about the cold, about the whales sinking your ship, about searching endless time for a whale, paying your crew on the harpunes during that endless waiting time for a whale to appear, about sharks eating you while looting the whale.

shipwreck diving : dont try free diving, squids and sharks will eat you. Do it by using the diving suit from the pirate skill tree. You will get about 120 gold for a wreck. Well, it takes too long, sailing to the next wreck, diving again, waiting for the night to use the sextant.. and so on. Its ok when not already owning a pet for treasure hunting.

treasure hunt : best option to earn gold. Grey maps are not possible to solo with plate & bow, because the fat soldier is regenerating before you can kill him. Pet will do the job, Ostrich or wolf will do grey maps just fine, even without natures touch. Bear is overkill and can also do green maps.

Best if you hoard a lot of maps for the same island, about 200 gold for a map during the 2x weekends.

Edited by Talono
  • Like 1