Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

One reason Megas and Small to Medium Companies need separate servers.

10 minutes ago, Keins Thallow said:

Seriously considering trying to get the other 3 small tribes on our grid to merge with us and consolidate to 1 island so we all have less work to upkeep and more time to play.

“Work is composed of that which a body is obliged to do, play is composed of all else.” Mark Twain

Balancing this reality against the need for time sinks is the razor’s edge that all MMO development teams try to walk. Some to a greater degree of success than others.

8 hours ago, Keins Thallow said:

One of the problems is that the devs started out designing a game for MINIMUM of 40 man companies.  But they promoted the game as something a few people could pick up together and enjoy.  As someone who prefers solo or 2-3 man tribes in ark, it took me a LONG TIME TO REALIZE THIS.  The "mega" update was supposed to make it more friendly to solo and small groups, but with the divide of the servers into colonies and empires may people just quit.  Now that neither server has a good population they are moving back toward making the game favorable to larger groups.   There needs to be a message when you log in reminding players that the larger the company they have the more content they will experience.   I'm in a small group with 3-4 active members, we have had a 65pt island since launch and spend most of our NON RAID time gathering gold and fortifying our island against attacks.  I think if we had just settled on someone else's island and paid the tax we would have experienced a lot more of what the game has to offer.  Seriously considering trying to get the other 3 small tribes on our grid to merge with us and consolidate to 1 island so we all have less work to upkeep and more time to play.

Finally someone who realises its much better for smaller tribes to settle somewhere instead of insisting on their own island. That way you can enjoy much more what game offers instead of farming gold for upkeep all the time. 

1 hour ago, Willard said:

Finally someone who realises its much better for smaller tribes to settle somewhere instead of insisting on their own island. That way you can enjoy much more what game offers instead of farming gold for upkeep all the time. 

What you don't realize is that we don't want to play in a game with Megas, where we need to settle on somebody else's island.  We want a server tailored for small companies, where we can compete with similar sized companies.  We don't want to be the small fish in somebody else's pond.  We want our own pond.  If the Megas hadn't been so selfish, and asked for Empires to be converted to Colonies rules, but no company and alliance limits, everything would be fine.  A lot of people did not come back because word got out that the Megas were going to Colonies.

we play on EU PvE colonie We are a 4 people Compagny, and actually we play on a Lawless, because all little island ( less than 35 point island ) are full.. we hope in the future to found a island on tundra because we like this game 🙂 but live on Lawless is not always bad when other player be respectfully without pillar or fondation spam.

8 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

What you don't realize is that we don't want to play in a game with Megas, where we need to settle on somebody else's island.  We want a server tailored for small companies, where we can compete with similar sized companies.  We don't want to be the small fish in somebody else's pond.  We want our own pond.  If the Megas hadn't been so selfish, and asked for Empires to be converted to Colonies rules, but no company and alliance limits, everything would be fine.  A lot of people did not come back because word got out that the Megas were going to Colonies.

What you don't realize is there is not enough Megas to to fill separate server 😉 they won't play against each other on a dead server. Separate pvp a pve servers are enough. And how do you even want to force players from Megas play where you want them to play?

Landlord/tenant system is pretty selfexplanatory. There are landlords and there are tenants. Someone is supposed to be a tenand and someone landlord. How do you want this system work if there are only small companies against each other? It won't.

Play the game game how you are supposed as small company. Don't try to play as a landlord if you struggle to pay upkeep.

2 minutes ago, Willard said:

What you don't realize is there is not enough Megas to to fill separate server 😉 they won't play against each other on a dead server. Separate pvp a pve servers are enough. And how do you even want to force players from Megas play where you want them to play?

Landlord/tenant system is pretty selfexplanatory. There are landlords and there are tenants. Someone is supposed to be a tenand and someone landlord. How do you want this system work if there are only small companies against each other? It won't.

Play the game game how you are supposed as small company. Don't try to play as a landlord if you struggle to pay upkeep.

No problem.  The game will continue to die.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

No problem.  The game will continue to die.

Ye if people refuse to play the game how it is designed they will get frustrated like you. I understand that.

1 hour ago, Willard said:

Ye if people refuse to play the game how it is designed they will get frustrated like you. I understand that.

LOL  How about this.  People don't like the way the game is unbalanced, and so they refuse to play.  Yeah...9 of 10 people who bought the game are wrong...amiright?

19 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

LOL  How about this.  People don't like the way the game is unbalanced, and so they refuse to play.  Yeah...9 of 10 people who bought the game are wrong...amiright?

I haven't played my 7 out of 10 games on steam more than like 10 hours. Does that mean these games are bad? Mostly not, just not my cup of tea 😉 many people who bought this didn't stop playing because of the shape or unbalance of this game but because they figured out this is not the type of game they enjoy. Just like other games 🙂 its totally natural.

Edited by Willard

On 4/28/2019 at 2:36 PM, Willard said:

I haven't played my 7 out of 10 games on steam more than like 10 hours. Does that mean these games are bad? Mostly not, just not my cup of tea 😉 many people who bought this didn't stop playing because of the shape or unbalance of this game but because they figured out this is not the type of game they enjoy. Just like other games 🙂 its totally natural.

Yes, news flash, people have choices.  There are no shortage of new games out there.  Yet, people play what they want to play.  If you want people to play your game, you have to pay attention to whether they are in fact, playing it.  If they are not, you have to find out why, and make changes.

Based on my present experience in the game, Colonies should go to factions.  Colonies, as a refuge for small companies has failed.  Allow companies to enlist in a faction.  I have seen other games do this.  Games are social in nature, so don't use factions to replace companies...just use them to unite them in official alliances.I would do two factions...divide the map in half, and make both sides completely equal.

Your case is pretty much the meta. You either play in a mega company or you wait wait until they wipe you and force you to merge.