Jump to content

zottel

Mega update may? Another wipe?

Recommended Posts

Just started ark to See a notification about another Mega update in may including More Islands And Monsters And weapons. Do we Need to fear another wipe soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im pretty sure. And if thats the case im out, especially if they are now a monthly event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They aren't going to wipe this fast. I would be shocked if they wiped in the next 6 months. The only reason they wiped for this last patch, is to clear out all the duping.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if there will be a wipe, but I do know if there was no wipe I probably wouldn’t be playing now. 

After you get all your tames, do all your building, make all upgraded ships and gear and kill the kraken there is not much left to do until more content is added. Now you have the sub and the upgraded kraken to keep you going. 

My point is after you explore all the content it gets kinda pointless to log in just to upkeep what you have/fill feeding troughs etc. the wipe has been kinda nice to force you to progress through the game again. 

That being said you need to spread out wipes a few months minimum and only do them when necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

I don’t know if there will be a wipe, but I do know if there was no wipe I probably wouldn’t be playing now. 

After you get all your tames, do all your building, make all upgraded ships and gear and kill the kraken there is not much left to do until more content is added. Now you have the sub and the upgraded kraken to keep you going. 

My point is after you explore all the content it gets kinda pointless to log in just to upkeep what you have/fill feeding troughs etc. the wipe has been kinda nice to force you to progress through the game again. 

That being said you need to spread out wipes a few months minimum and only do them when necessary. 

Its a sandbox game. If themepark mmos run out of content on a regular base, this game wont be able not to 😉  

If regular wipes are the answer to a lack of gamedepth and content you will lose most of the PvE playerbase for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

games like this should have a win for players or a player. 6 months one player and or team declared winner - wipe and repeat. 

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zottel said:

Just started ark to See a notification about another Mega update in may including More Islands And Monsters And weapons. Do we Need to fear another wipe soon?

Sounds like something to sit around and worry about.  TBH i would bet on at least another couple of more wipes before its all done. I just hope they arent inclined to tell us 6 weeks in advance next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grongash said:

Its a sandbox game. If themepark mmos run out of content on a regular base, this game wont be able not to 😉  

If regular wipes are the answer to a lack of gamedepth and content you will lose most of the PvE playerbase for sure.

A sandbox mmo can definitely run out of content, gotta have something to keep you going otherwise it just gets boring. 

I agree that wipes aren’t the solution though, that wasn’t my point. More content is the best long term solution hands down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hands solo said:

games like this should have a win for players or a player. 6 months one player and or team declared winner - wipe and repeat. 

 

J

They tried that in Conan Exiles and it didn't end well, no one ever played them because after a while everything you made was gone no matter what. People felt as if the progression was pointless because it would all be gone one day. However, even after having said that if someone could do this where it was interesting and succeeded then I would give it a try.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No reason for a wipe now. There won´t be so many new islands. Its just a new content patch with no claim system changes. 

So the answer is no. 

Edited by Willard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Master_Pain said:

They aren't going to wipe this fast. I would be shocked if they wiped in the next 6 months. The only reason they wiped for this last patch, is to clear out all the duping.

Incorrect. They had to wipe because it would have been impossible to implement the new claim system without wiping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 Incorrect.

In fact what they said when they announced the official wipe, was that unofficial would not have to wipe because they would simply  delete the old claim flags and force players to buy the new island flag claims (they later just left the default as Empires which was not part of the original plan).   So absolutely it was never a requirement to wipe because of the claim flag system, they could have simply wiped the flags.

 

 

 

Edited by krazmuze
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

 In fact what they said when they announced the official wipe, that unofficials would not have to wipe because they would simply  delete the old claim flags and force players to buy the new island flag claims (they later just left the default as Empires which was not part of the original plan).   So absolutely it was never a requirement to wipe because of the claim flag system.

 

unofficial servers were not forced to wipe. that is true.

but what the patch did to them is as close to a wipe as can get if not even worse.

maybe you recall that some ppl asked whether it's possible to wipe but keep the characters? well the patch did shrink any existing player and npc aka crew on a ship.

to revert that you need to delete your char and create a new one.

single player companies will lose their stuff as long as they don't have a friend who joins their company temporarily to reinvite the 'owner' once he created a new toon.

some servers might have nice and caring admins (like our 5x5 grid) who offered to grant current exp (proven by a screenshot) so you won't lose your progress once you greate a new toon. stuill the issue with companies run by a single person.

your choice to be a mumbling midget trying to look over the railing on your ship or recreate a toon and hop from island to island to regain the discovery points needed to get your old lvl back the admin granted you xp for.

about the claim flags ?

well we did wipe since we moved from a 3x3 to a 5x5 about 2 weeks before the official servers got wiped. once version 1.5 went live and the patch got applied to our servers all claim flags were still up nothing got removed although they had no function and didn't claim crap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krazmuze said:

 Incorrect.

In fact what they said when they announced the official wipe, was that unofficial would not have to wipe because they would simply  delete the old claim flags and force players to buy the new island flag claims (they later just left the default as Empires which was not part of the original plan).   So absolutely it was never a requirement to wipe because of the claim flag system, they could have simply wiped the flags.

They didn't wipe because of the claim flags.  But because of a series of problems, duping and cheating and the gains from notwithstanding.   Alot of people gained from using exploits to cheat.  They caused the necessity for the wipe.  It was also used to reset the code to put the new system into place.

And that's really the only time they have or anyone usually wipes servers.

Either they're empty.. they've bugged or broken, the players have cheated and exploited the game to death and to fix those exploits.. or because of physical changes to the maps, where it is all but impossible to not wipe either entire or partial areas. 

In short.. if they wipe, it'll be for a reason, if you don't like it.. hard luck.  None of us do, but most of us recognise that it is sometimes necessary and the last wipe was long overdue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krazmuze said:

 Incorrect.

In fact what they said when they announced the official wipe, was that unofficial would not have to wipe because they would simply  delete the old claim flags and force players to buy the new island flag claims (they later just left the default as Empires which was not part of the original plan).   So absolutely it was never a requirement to wipe because of the claim flag system, they could have simply wiped the flags.

 

 

 

Still incorrect. Official had to be wiped completely so they could test the new claim system. Unofficial has nothing to do with official. That is why they had a choice.

4 minutes ago, Martyn said:

They didn't wipe because of the claim flags.  But because of a series of problems, duping and cheating and the gains from notwithstanding.   Alot of people gained from using exploits to cheat.  They caused the necessity for the wipe.  It was also used to reset the code to put the new system into place.

And that's really the only time they have or anyone usually wipes servers.

Either they're empty.. they've bugged or broken, the players have cheated and exploited the game to death and to fix those exploits.. or because of physical changes to the maps, where it is all but impossible to not wipe either entire or partial areas. 

In short.. if they wipe, it'll be for a reason, if you don't like it.. hard luck.  None of us do, but most of us recognise that it is sometimes necessary and the last wipe was long overdue.

Nope

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realist. Welcome to my ignore list.  Man you're one ignorant sod sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Martyn said:

Realist. Welcome to my ignore list.  Man you're one ignorant sod sometimes.

They couldn’t test the new claim system without a wipe. That is why the wipe happened.

whether of not exploiting happened doesn’t really matter. Yes it did happen. The wipe was happening either way with the new system. It’s that simple 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies in advance as I don't currently have the time to read all of the posts in this thread and respond to each but I'd like to share my related post from the Discord to give you all some clarity on this issue sooner rather than later, and, hopefully put you at ease.  

maypatch.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dollie said:

Apologies in advance as I don't currently have the time to read all of the posts in this thread and respond to each but I'd like to share my related post from the Discord to give you all some clarity on this issue sooner rather than later, and, hopefully put you at ease.  

maypatch.png

So no wipe planned, that’s good news.

thanks for the communication! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dollie

Thanks for the candid update, very much appreciated.   People should stop hopping around like a bunny now and just get on and play!

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VAZGHOUL said:

if they wipe again. done! uninstall. 

Bye, Felica. 👋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 12:07 AM, Dollie said:

Apologies in advance as I don't currently have the time to read all of the posts in this thread and respond to each but I'd like to share my related post from the Discord to give you all some clarity on this issue sooner rather than later, and, hopefully put you at ease.  

maypatch.png

Knowing that adding islands wont automatically consider a wipe was the biggest point I needed clarified

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×